Hart in conversation III: Faith and Reason

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
COWEN: So, is it reason or is it faith that determines when an argument from reason or an argument from faith is appropriate?

HART: Reason. It has to be, because even if you choose faith, you’re choosing to believe something for a reason. Even if you’re not able to name those reasons yourself, some compelling rational intuition has worked upon you to say, “Well, I believe I can trust this source more than that source.” You may say that, “Oh, I’m having faith in what it’s telling me,” but you’re having faith in that rather than something else, because at some level — maybe a tacit level that you have a hard time laying out — you’ve somehow reached the judgment. It would have to be a rational judgment if your faith is of any meaning, that you trust this rather than that.

But what is faith? When you create a division between faith and reason, you’re assuming that faith is taking things simply on the authority of another blindly. That’s never actually been the definition that any religion — whether you’re talking in the West, or when you’re talking about Pistis in Greek, or śraddhā in Sanskrit, or any number of other words for faith, it usually means a rational commitment to a certain path for which you have reasons.

Those reasons in themselves don’t necessarily arrive at a QED. But as you advance on this path, you’re hoping, at least, things become clearer and clearer, and you’ll understand better whether you really believe it or not. You have to commit yourself to the path in order to find a way.

The American philosopher William James spoke of the will to believe, and he’s often misunderstood as if all he was saying was it’s okay to choose arbitrarily to believe something. That’s not what he said. What he said was, if you’re in the fog, say, and you encounter two paths, and you have a sense that one is more likely to lead to safety and the other to the edge of a cliff, you take that path. But you don’t take it so credulously that you’ll walk off the edge of a cliff if you come to the cliff.

The act of faith is a way of engaging the mind, engaging reason so it can explore. If you don’t start with some trust of the possibility of discovering the truth, then you never will seek the truth to begin with. That search requires a combination of a degree of rational judgment and a degree of trust, and you hope that the two prove to be in harmony. If they’re not, though, if you reach a point where your faith and your reason come into conflict, then trust your reason.

Always trust your reason because otherwise, faith is just epistemic nihilism. It’s meaningless. It’s just a brute exertion of the will, at which point it’s subrational and becomes contemptible. Always trust reason, but make sure that reason is tempered. It’s not petty rationalism, but it’s a reason that really can see things in broad perspective and understand in a variety of modalities. Don’t treat reason as if it’s a math equation.

The question of existence of God, that’s not what I was talking about. When I talked about faith, I meant a path towards the sacred. There, first of all, to define what the word existence means, because God would not exist in the way that an individual entity, a finite entity exists. So, any rational arguments you have about God are based on, usually, a modal metaphysics of the absolute and the contingent, or so on and so forth. There, I think reason should be fully engaged.

The question is, within a tradition — that’s when things become a bit more stochastic. If I don’t start from the premise that when I speak of God, that there’s an absolute source and end to all things, then I’m not really interested in the question of religion at all.

But if I believe that may be true, if I have a sense of it, or if reason tells me it’s so — that it doesn’t make sense to believe in a pure physicalism or materialism — then where faith is engaged is in trying to make rational judgments about who can point you towards a deeper understanding and relationship.

The start of the journey is not a leap of faith in the vulgar sense. But it is a venture of faith in the sense that you can’t start with perfect wisdom and knowledge. You are making rational judgments.

Again, rationality is not a single, univocal thing. It can also have to do with intuitions, like moral intuitions. If you come up against a doctrine or a teaching or something that is repugnant to your moral reasoning, then that is significant. It would be deplorable of you to choose to believe it, despite the counsels of your moral reasoning, unless you had really good reasons to think you’d been mistaken.

Its easy to say, I believe parachuting is safe, lots of people enjoy it as a sport. The only way to have faith in a parachute, is to put one on, go up in a plane and jump. If I jump once, I have put my faith to the test once. If I have a close encounter with death, do I have faith to jump again.

Faith in God, is tested by how we put our trust in God. I have been a Street Pastor for sixteen years, we wonder the streets of our town until 3 - 4 am, to care listen and help when we can. I can only say, faith in God gives me a peace that is beyond my understanding, when we confront all the angry drunken violence.

The only way to have faith in a parachute, is to put one on, go up in a plane and jump. If I jump once, I have put my faith to the test once. If I have a close encounter with death, do I have faith to jump again.
Hmmm... in order for me to have faith in a chute is to examine it, check the seams, check the webbing, the ropes, test all the connections, examine the pack, then fold and pack it.

I ain't in the military, I am not gonna have faith in someone else telling me to put on a pack and jump out of a plane.

I need a reason to have faith.

My wife and friends did a jump ... they trusted the ex-military who packed the chutes and oversaw their jump training.

The reason behind the decision was that the jump-school people knew more about parachutes and parachuting than they did.

+++

I took flying lessons once. a Cesna 150 Aerobat. On the first flight I followed the pilot doing his pre-flight checks. Surfaces, etc. We came to the nose, and the pilot said, "Of course, check the engine." Opening the bonnet, or hood, as some say, he looked at the engine and said, "Yep. There it is," and slammed the hood shut.
That's it? THAT'S IT? I do more regular and more thorough maintenance on my car!

Reactions: wil
You can reach faith through reason as Hart says.

But you can also opt for faith because of different types of fear:
- You can't handle the uncertainty of reasoning and you don't trust reason.
- You fear the punishment of hell.
- You fear the punishment by religious authorities or activists and force your thoughts to conformity.

I prefer a faith based on reason.

My wife and friends did a jump ... they trusted the ex-military who packed the chutes and oversaw their jump training.
With all the health and safety stuff today, you should be able to put your trust in the experts and the parachute. You can't have partial faith in parachuting, you either jump, or you don't.

Faith in God seems more abstract than putting your faith and trust in parachuting. In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later.

Being told I had cancer was out of my hands, there was nothing I could do about it. But I still had choices; I could dictate how the cancer was going to affect my mind and my ability to cope with the news. If I had six months to live, I wanted to live in peace for six months.

A few minutes after putting the phone down; I prayed for the wisdom, strength and peace to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I experienced a profound sense of peace that is beyond my understanding, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment. I only made this prayer once, then it changed to giving thanks for another day of peace. .

Cancer might be a worrying process, you wait a month or two for appointments, you wait for the results, and you wait for more appointments. I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated, it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.

On reflection, I sense that the peace I experienced possibly helped the cancer to heal. I have heard that worry and stress can exacerbate medical problems. I could not imagine this sense of peace without faith and trust in God. I find it easier talking about cancer, than going shopping with my wife.

it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.
I suppose I should thank G!d I have that profound sense of peace without having to believe ...

Shortcuts, I get accused of taking short cuts.

That would be Faith built upon the rocks.

Faith built any other way, is Faith built on shifting foundations, ultimately, faith built on sand.

Regards Tony
"Blind" faith can be helpful for those who feel insecure, provided that they have a good guide. But they may become victims of victims of interested or misguided people.
But finally, a good guide would have to be someone who has a faith that is built on reality, wisdom and love.

Faith is blind in as much as it's a belief in things unseen, as Scripture says.

And reason will only get us so far ...

I think there's a distinction between eyes open blind faith, and eyes shut blind faith.

And reason will only get us so far ...
That's true .. without the messengers of G-d and their Scriptures, I would
be "in the dark".

..yet I can still use my intelligence ( and more importantly, my 'heart' ) to ascertain truth.
Literal readings of Scripture are not always correct .. the correct understanding will
only be discovered through a complete study of all available literature and through experience.

..but many people rely on tribal belief .. that's enough for them.

I suppose I should thank G!d I have that profound sense of peace without having to believe ...
A profound sense of peace is something much of humanity seem to lack. Worry, anxiety, depression, fear and anger rob most people of peace.

A profound sense of peace is something much of humanity seem to lack. Worry, anxiety, depression, fear and anger rob most people of peace.
True, and taking those away, or learning to accept them or compartmentalize them...gives us peace.

So maybe we should assist our friends and family in doing that...instead of the things that increase them?

Back