Do you listen to audiobooks?

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone here listens to audiobooks?

I'm especially curious to know if American listeners prefer to hear a narrator with a US accent rather than say a British one?

No, because I prefer to leave them for people who need them for whatever reason (I've "narrated" several textbooks for students who required them for classes [ADA-compliance].)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Just wondered if anyone here listens to audiobooks?

I'm especially curious to know if American listeners prefer to hear a narrator with a US accent rather than say a British one?
I like both but the American narrator must have a good clear speaking voice with excellent enunciation. Most Americans are lazy speakers.

I love audiobooks btw. I listen to them while working

I thought I would list favorite audiobooks.. I like thick meaty series like Jean M Auel's Earths Children series.. aka Clan of the Cave Bear.. (not to be mistaken for the movie *gag*) narrated by Salome Jens

Dune series by Frank Herbert narrated by Simon Vance

LOTR JRR Tolkien several narrators love Andy Serkis.

I like a lot more but these series are my go tos in dry times

I like them for listening, not for learning. Our public libraries have tons of audio books available. Ya find one, reserve one, walking down the road pr riding in the car ya get notice it is available, click borrow and it is playing.

I love living in the future and will listen to any accent as long as I don't have to struggle to understand.

I am old fashioned and enjoy reading a physical book. It leaves more to the imagination. If you're familiar with the classic comic strip "Calvin & Hobbes", the author refused to ever make a movie or tv series for his strip. He said that every reader has an idea of what the voice of each character sounds like. To make a movie or show would diminish that creativity and take away from the magic of the series. That is how I feel about books. Part of the reason I often don't like movie adaptations is because of the diminished creativity entailed. Hearing a different voice from what I imagined takes away from some of the magic of reading the story.

That being said, I have listened to one audio book. My wife used to travel for work and she would listen to audiobooks. I traveled with her one time and listened to "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". This is definitely not my kind of book. But the narrator sounded just like the guy who used to narrate the old A&E Civil War documentaries. So I felt like I was listening to a real documentary... with vampires. I tried reading the book, but hated it. But the way it was presented in audio format just made it seem real.

So as far as accents go, it depends on the book. If I were listening to a book such as Leon Uris's "Trinity", I would want to hear a narrator who spoke with an Irish or English accent. The book takes place in Ireland and England, so that is why. But I don't care for audiobooks anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

I haven't really given audiobooks a proper chance ...

I've been somewhat spoiled by listening to John le Carré reading his own works ... his narration is as good as his writing! It put me off listening to other le Carré audiobooks, read by the late Michael Jayston, which is grossly unfair, as Jayston was no mean reader, and was a central character in the BBC production 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' ... just a personal thing ...

Don't have an Audible account, so ...

A good point, @moralorel – I once heard le Carré in an interview say he'd planned a series of Smiley v Karla books, but every time he tried to picture his George Smiley, Sir Alec Guiness (who played him in the BBC series) came to mind, and had effectively 'stolen' the character.

How much truth there was in that I have no idea...

Meanwhile his son, author Nick Harkaway, has written a 'Smiley v Karla' novel, going on sale in October.

Back