Intention

julie59

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the forum, but I find all of the topics fascinating. I'm interested in finding out what other people think and feel about life. Have you all been hearing the term "Intention" lately? What does this mean to you? I've got my ideas of it that I'm still trying to work out. I have heard it used now in Deepak Chopra's language, scientology, and also Wayne W. Dyer with his book The Law of Intention. It seems there are many different takes on a similar idea. Any comments?

Last edited:
Hi julie59 and welcome to CR. :)

I'm afriad it's a new topic on me, though hopefully someone else might take you up on that one. :)

Namaste Julie,

welcome to the forum.

intention is a hallmark of Buddhist praxis, so though i've heard of it.. it is not a new idea, at least where we Buddhist types are concerned :)

within the Buddhist paradigm, there are various ways to view this term.. generally speaking, we use it to indicate the motivation behind the action that an idividual engages in.

whilst i'm not aware of a "law of intention" it is a fair enough statement to say that Buddhism places a fair degree of emphasis on the intention or motivation that a being has when engaging in an action. for whom is the action intended to benefit.. things of this nature.

peace to you julie. nice topic.

i too have noticed lately that there seems to be alot of new books in many religions on the topics of intentions, sincerity..etc.

i read a book recently titled Purification of the Soul, and there is a chapter in the book titled the Nature of Intention.

i ll type out a few lines of it just to give ya an idea...(but just a few, lol)

The intention of a person is not his utterance of the words, "I intend to do so and so." It is an overflowing from the heart which runs like conquests inspired by God. At times it is made easy, at other times, difficult. A person whose heart is overwhelmingly righteous finds it easy to summon good intentions at most times. Such a person has a heart generally inclined to the roots of goodness which, most of the time, blossom into the manifestation of good actions. As for those whose hearts incline towards and are overwhelmed by wordly matters, they find this difficult to accomplish and even acts of worship may become difficult and tiresome. "Actions are only by intention."

Hi julie59. I'm glad you've found us. :)

I didn't know anything about Wayne W. Dyer, but after reding your post I checked on the net for him.

I took the following from his site for future comments :

Intention is generally viewed as a pit-bull kind of determination propelling one to succeed at all costs by never giving up on an inner picture. In this view, an attitude that combines hard work with an indefatigable drive toward excellence is the way to succeed. However, intention is viewed very differently in this book. Dr. Wayne W. Dyer has researched intention as a force in the universe that allows the act of creation to take place. This book explores intention not as something you do but as an energy you're a part of. We're all intended here through the invisible power of intention. This is the first book to look at intention as a field of energy that you can access to begin co-creating your life with the power of intention.
I didn't read any of his books, so I might be wrong. What he says above about the power of intention, it's known by myself as the strenght of will.

Did you read the "Law of Intention" ? Is he actually talking about will ?

Back