What happens according to the Bible when you Kick the Bucket.

Basstian

In Search
Reaction score
With all the talk about spirits and saints and such.
I just thought I would ask everybody to provide there take on what happens when you die and please provide scripture that backs your belief.

Get ready because within the Christian faith this is one of those things people cant seem to agree on and I assure you this will be a debate.

I believe the Bible to be correct on this issue from cover to cover (though I was taught something different as a child)

Now I know you will be tempted to use outside sources. But my desire is to rightly divide the word of truth (Bible) so I am requesting that all references be kept to scripture as recorded in the Bible.
(I cant make anybody play by those rules but would request you do:D )

I will compile my scripture and post again later. Thought I would give everybody else a chance to do the same.

hmmm

i have this for now cause i am going to sleep. i think there is something in there about sleep, like asleep in Christ?

now i lay me down to sleep i pray the Lord my soul to keep
if i should die before i wake
i pray the Lord my soul to take
amen:)

Bandit said:
now i lay me down to sleep i pray the Lord my soul to keep
if i should die before i wake
i pray the Lord my soul to take
amen:)
Now Bandit thats not a Bible verse LOL Didnt think you'd be first to break my rule guess thats why we call ya Bandit :D

Basstian said:
Now Bandit thats not a Bible verse LOL Didnt think you'd be first to break my rule guess thats why we call ya Bandit :D
In accordance with your request: ;)

One Minute After Death

What happens when we breathe our final breath? The Bible teaches what will occur.

First our immaterial soul and spirit will be separated from our physical body. Second, we will immediately receive the judgment that will determine our eternal destiny. Those who have trusted in Christ's payment on the cross for our sins will enter into eternal life in the presence of God. 2 Corinthians 5:8 states, "We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." There will be no delay in a state of unconsciousness many call "soul sleep." We will immediately be in God's presence.

Second, the soul in heaven is made perfect in holiness and our old sin nature is eradicated. Hebrews 12:23 mentions "the spirits of righteous men made perfect." The spirits of the saints are in heaven and they have been made perfect. The struggle with sin that Paul described and all Christians fight comes to an end forever when we, after death, enter our glorified state.

(D'oh! Sacred I now understand what you were trying to say about perfect souls. You just said it too fast, too soon.)
Those who reject this gift, will receive what they have chosen, eternity separated from God in Hell. Hebrews 9:27 states, "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment." There is no second chance and there is no cycle of reincarnation. Our eternal destiny is determined by the decision we make for Christ here on earth.

Many assume that after receiving Christ all that remains is a joyful entrance into heaven. Scripture teaches that Jesus will reward us according to how we lived our life on earth. He taught this principle in the parable of the talents in Luke 19. Each servant was entrusted to administer the talents the master gave him. Upon the return of the master, each servant had to give an account for his stewardship. The wise servants were rewarded doubly while the wicked servant was removed.

The lesson for the Christian is that each of us will give an account for our time here on earth. This is not the same as being judged on our salvation status. Christ's death on the cross allows all who believe to enter God's kingdom. We will be judged on our works done since the time of our salvation. This judgment of believers is called the Bema Seat judgment. This event is described in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15:

I personally, ain't sleepin' in six feet of dirt, not if I can help it...:D

v/r

Q

After starting this thread and giving it alot of thought. I found out why God had lead me to study this. My Dad who I have been caring for the last 2 1/2 yrs passed away 3/20/05 this same evening.

I would thank you all for your prayers and hope you will understand my delay in replies.

I would like to continue reading your views but am taking my time with this study more for comfort than question.

I do know I have seen first hand the mercy of God in this and also prayer answered in big ways. He suffered a stroke and left fast and without pain. Having severe COPD he could have suffered much longer which is something I prayed God would not allow. He after a life time of being an atheist prayed with me everynight for the last couple months not letting me leave at night without reaching the Lord in prayer this too was a major answer to prayers I have had for many years.

1th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

You and yours are in my prayers tonight, Basstian.
It's clear that he ended the race well.

Peace,
lunamoth

Last edited:
Dear Basstian love, light and healing thoughts for you and your father.

May he rest in peace forevermore.

Dear All

I am guided to post this response from our Lord to your question.

1 Corinthians 2:4-16 NIV

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

Wisdom From the Spirit

6. We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

7. No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

8 None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 However, as it is written: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”

10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.

13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:

16“For who has known the mind of the Lord  that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

3:23 You are of Christ and Christ is of GOD

Brothers I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly - mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. Indeed you are still not ready.

1 Corinthians 3:1-2.

Love beyond measure

Kim xx

Basstian, I dont really know exactly what happens when we kick the bucket but I do have a glimpse. Q did a nice job pulling some of that together.

My mother had a life after death experience when giving birth. I will talk to her soon and get that to you in a PM.

Eccl12:7Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

The body goes back to the earth, which we know that is what Adam came from. But the germlife of Adam does not die and lives on in each generation. The spirit belongs to God and goes back to God.

John6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Below is talking about the resurrection.

1Cor.15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
15:54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

this is part of an old hymn by dottie rambo that sure did help me get through some hard times.

All the things that I love
and hold dear to my heart
they are borrowed and
not mine at all
Jesus only let me use them
to brighten my life
So remind me, remind me dear Lord

Chorus:
Roll back the curtain of memory now and then
show me where you brought me from and
where i could have been
just remember I'm a human and human's forget
so remind me, remind me dear Lord

Here we have mention of those who sleep in Christ. So it is not really the end, but more like a sleep.

I Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Sacredstar said:
Dear Basstian love, light and healing thoughts for you and your father.

May he rest in peace forevermore.

Dear All

I am guided to post this response from our Lord to your question.

1 Corinthians 2:4-16 NIV

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

Wisdom From the Spirit

6. We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

7. No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

8 None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 However, as it is written: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”

10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.

13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:

16“For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

Brothers I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly - mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. Indeed you are still not ready.

1 Corinthians 3:1-2.

Love beyond measure

Kim xx
That was nice...;)

v/r

Q

Ive been looking through all the new threads since Ive been back and this is the first one that Ive been compelled to post on. I would like to share a few scriptures on this subject that give me great peace.

2Cor5:6-8 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. [/font]

Luke 23:43 [font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." [/font]

*hugs* Basstian Im sorry for your loss but I rejoice for your father because he is with our Lord.

I believe that when we die our souls depart our bodies.. our bodies turn to dust to one day be resurrected.. now where our souls go depends entirely on the acceptance of Christ as your saviour.. If you believe that Christ is your salvation and the only means to the Father if you have done this then yes you will go to heaven if you do not well Jesus says it himself that if you do not believe then you are condemned already. The road is narrow and we have been given the choice of which direction to take..

Quahom1 said:
In accordance with your request: ;)

One Minute After Death

What happens when we breathe our final breath? The Bible teaches what will occur...

Those who reject this gift, will receive what they have chosen, eternity separated from God in Hell. Hebrews 9:27 states, "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment." There is no second chance and there is no cycle of reincarnation. Our eternal destiny is determined by the decision we make for Christ here on earth.

My reading of the Bible is different. Isn't "Hell" as used by Jesus a reference to the Lake of Fire, prepared for the final judgment. And if that final judgment has not occurred yet, isn't it fair to say that people don't go to Hell when they die, but rather that they go somewhere else? After all, if Hell is final destruction, how can the dead be resurrected out of complete destruction to face the final judgment, as described in Revelation?

I don't think the choice is an either-or one. If it is, then issues such as "What happened to the ones who died before Jesus' time" are quite sticky. On the other hand, if there is more than just the one extremely good option and the other extremely bad option, then issues such as this one are much more easily explainable. My bias is that I think God wants us to understand his ways, even though they are higher than our own.

Marsh said:
My reading of the Bible is different. Isn't "Hell" as used by Jesus a reference to the Lake of Fire, prepared for the final judgment. And if that final judgment has not occurred yet, isn't it fair to say that people don't go to Hell when they die, but rather that they go somewhere else? After all, if Hell is final destruction, how can the dead be resurrected out of complete destruction to face the final judgment, as described in Revelation?

I don't think the choice is an either-or one. If it is, then issues such as "What happened to the ones who died before Jesus' time" are quite sticky. On the other hand, if there is more than just the one extremely good option and the other extremely bad option, then issues such as this one are much more easily explainable. My bias is that I think God wants us to understand his ways, even though they are higher than our own.
are you talking about purgatory?

Basstian sorry for your loss but lets rejoice for him.

Sacredstar said:
1Cr 3:23And ye are Christ's; and Christ [is] God's.
NIV is not a very good translation to use for the most part they have changed alot of things to make it say what they want it to say.

Marsh said:
Isn't "Hell" as used by Jesus a reference to the Lake of Fire, prepared for the final judgment. And if that final judgment has not occurred yet, isn't it fair to say that people don't go to Hell when they die, but rather that they go somewhere else? After all, if Hell is final destruction, how can the dead be resurrected out of complete destruction to face the final judgment, as described in Revelation?
"Hell" I don't take as the Lake of Fire or necessarily as final destruction as it says on revelation during the final judgement.
Rev 20:12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. Rev 20:13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. Rev 20:14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. Rev 20:15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So it seems to me that the people in hell are taken out of hell and judged then hell and the people not in the book are cast into the lake of fire which is then final destruction.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern My family is doing well and rejoicing that regardless the answer to this question my been is not suffering as he has been.

Now everybody has used about everyverse in the NT there is to show their view. And all are valid and must be given place. I would like to throw the wisdom of Solomon in the mix just to see how His view is taken in line with the NT.

Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ec 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
Ec 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
Ec 9:8 Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.
Ec 9:9 Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
Ec 9:10Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

With the dawn of each new day, the heart shall be renewed.

We all know the story of the resurrection. That story gave me peace when my brother passed on. Jesus exemplied how to live. I think his death and ascention is quite similiar to what we are to experience at the point of God's beckoning.

Also:

Romans 14:8-9
If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:12-13
But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.

Resurrection​

Definition: A·na´sta·sis, the Greek word translated "resurrection," literally means "a standing up again" and it refers to a rising up from death. The fuller expression "resurrection of (from) the dead" is used repeatedly in the Scriptures. (Matt. 22:31; Acts 4:2; 1 Cor. 15:12) The Hebrew is techi·yath´ ham·me·thim´, which means "revival of the dead." (Matt. 22:23, ftn, NW Reference edition) Resurrection involves a reactivating of the life pattern of the individual, which life pattern God has retained in his memory. According to God’s will for the individual, the person is restored in either a human or a spirit body and yet retains his personal identity, having the same personality and memories as when he died. The provision for resurrection of the dead is a magnificent expression of Jehovah’s undeserved kindness; it displays his wisdom and power and is a means by which his original purpose regarding the earth will be carried out.

Hello, all-

First, let me extend sympathy for your loss during this time, and rejoice in God's mercy and grace that alleviated the suffering of your father and brought him closer to God.

I thought this was interesting, and I am limiting my response to Biblical text, as I think that appropriate for a Christian forum.

I would like to make a note regarding heaven and hell. I am not disputing the validity of the Bible, but only saying from a liberal Christian perspective that one's ideas about what heaven and hell look like can be quite different. My beliefs are very much influenced by liberal Quakerism, and I cherish the Bible. However, there are many liberal Christians who, like myself, do not believe that the Bible was meant always to be taken literally, and who also are very concerned with putting passages in their proper historical, cultural, and linguistic context. That said, I do not see hell as a "lake of fire," nor do I see heaven as streets paved in gold, or as actual places at all. Here is why:
There are two words that are translated as "hell" in English- "sheol," which meant "the grave" and "Gehenna," which was a metaphoric reference to and actual place- what was essentially the city dump with all its burning refuse, animal carcasses, etc. Judaic scripture (the OT in the original Hebrew) and Jewish tradition holds that after death several things could happen. (1) That the person could simply sleep (be in "sheol") until the Resurrection at the End of the World (excellent scriptures were given by others earlier in this thread), (2) that the person could go to the Throne of Judgment (the current belief of most Christians and also already supported by scripture). At the Throne of Judgment, one's actions and motivations in life were weighed by God. No one was perfect, but a consistent striving toward spirituality and righteousness was rewarded by eternal life through the mercy of God. Most people were understood to fail this initial judgment, and were sent to a place apart from God ("Gehenna") to learn from their actions, repent for their sins, and be purified spiritually. Jewish belief holds Gehenna was not eternal, but transitory. After this purification, they too were admitted into eternal life. Many Orthodox Jews held that some were reincarnated, either to learn lessons that had missed on earth or to help others along their path. Many Orthodox Jews held that the supremely wicked, who extinguished all goodness in themselves, simply ceased to exist after death, having severed the tie to the elements of their soul that were spiritual.
In the NT, we find three versions of hell. The first two, again are "sheol" and "Gehenna," which are referenced by Jesus in the gospels. The third is this idea of everlasting fire that Satan and the demons will be cast into. The third is problematic for a number of reasons, most notably that it is not in line with the Old Testament scriptures concerning hell and Satan, and as the Messiah, Jesus would have been Jewish and He says through the gospels that He did not come to demolish the law and prophets, but rather to fulfill them (Mt 5:17). How one reconciles this is up to the denomination and beliefs one has. Suffice it to say that some of us believe that just as Gehenna was an actual place that served a metaphoric reference to the agony of one outside the presence of God, so too is the lake of fire a reference to the total annihilation of evil and sin.
As for heaven, it is spoken of as the realm of God in the NT (Mt 3:17, 6:1&9, 7:11; Lk 11:13, Heb 1:3, 8:1, 9:24). The use of the word heaven- "shamayim" in Hebrew and "ouranos" in Greek- is the same use as the "heavens"- the created universe beyond earth. The dual use of the word for "heaven," one meaning the spiritual realm of God and the other meaning what we would now call outer space, maintains the dualism seen in Hebrew cosmology from the OT, which we can see in passages such as Isa 55:9. Yet we know that God is not confined to heaven, for He also interacts with us on earth, and one day the earth and heaven will not be separated when God's will is done on earth as perfectly as it is now in heaven (Mt 6:10). That the word for God's spiritual realm corresponds to the word for the universe outside earth indicates that it, too, is a metaphoric reference that is not so much a location as a timeless dimension of spirituality with God that touches the earth though it is currently distinct from it. Thus, Paul speaks of us having citizenship in heaven (Phil 3:20), our treasures are to be laid up in heaven (Mt 6:20), and heaven is our true home (Eph 3:19, Heb 12:22). Reading such passages metaphorically, it is not that we literally lay up treasure in heaven, for example, but that we are striving toward living in this spiritual realm even now, so that our heart is always on God, welcoming His presence. After death, we are freed from the limitations of our bodies, societies, and brains and are free to be in God's presence in this spiritual and timeless dimension.

I suppose it comes down to whether you are reading the Bible as poetry (metaphoric text that needs interpretation aided by the Holy Spirit) or as prose (literal text that is straight forward). I lean toward reading it as poetry. Heaven, for me, is nothing short of being in the presence of God, free from my body, earthly struggles, and the limitations of my brain. Hell is nothing short of the agony that is living outside God's presence. No physical manifestation, to me, can come close to either the bliss or the agony of the soul in these states. They are, to me, metaphors to help us understand the states of being that are heaven and hell.

Back