GOD is the Light

S

Sacredstar

I am collecting comparative quotes from scriptures/texts on GOD is the Light can you share any with me please.

I will start it off with this quote from the Holy Qur’an:

"God says: God is the light of the Heavens and the Earth. His light is like a niche in which is a lamp, the lamp encased in glass, the glass as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive of neither the east nor the west, whose oil is beginning to burst into light, though no fire has touched it. Light upon light. God guideth whomsoever He willeth to His light, and of all things, God is knowing.”

Thank you

Kimxx

Yusuf Islam a.k.a. Cat Stevens recently released a song titled "God is the Light" (thought i'd share the lyrics with ya :) )

[size=+2]Yusuf Islam - God is the Light [/size]

How great the wonder of the heavens
And the timeless beauty of the night
How great, then how great the Creator?
And its star like priceless jewels
Far beyond the reach of kings
Bow down for the shepherd guiding him home

But how many eyes are closed
To the wonder of this night?
Like pearls hidden deep, beneath a dark stream of desires
But like dreams vanish with the call to prayer
And the dawn extinguishes night - here too are signs
God is the Light, God is the Light

How great the beauty of the earth and the creatures
who dwell on her
As its mountains pierce the clouds

High above the lives of men
Weeping rivers for thousands of years
But how many hearts are closed
To the wonders of this sight?
Like birds in a cage, asleep with closed wings
But as work stops with the call to prayer
And the birds recite - here too are signs
God is the Light, God is the Light

How great the works of man and the things he makes
Though he strives to reach the heavens
He can barely survive
The wars of the world he lives in
Yet how many times he’s tried, himself to immortalise?
Like his parents before him in the garden of Eden
But like the sun sets with the call to prayer
And surrenders to the night here too are signs
God is the Light everlasting, God is the Light everlasting
God is the Light everlasting, God is the Light everlasting

There is to Him no equivalent

That's an interesting comparative religion issue.

God is the light of the Heavens and the Earth, according to the Qur'an.

"Al-Noor", i.e. (The Light), is one of His 99 attributes.

However, Muslims don't go further than that, as we believe that there is to Him no equivalent.

"Say, He is Allah [who is] One.

Allah the Eternal Refuge.

He neither begets nor is born,

Nor is there to Him any equivalent." (The Qur'an, 112:1-4)

All the best.

Light and darkness, life and death, right and left, are the brothers of one another. They are inseperable. Because of this neither are the good good, nor the evil evil, nor is life life, nor death death. For this reason each one will dissolve into its earliest origin. But those who are exalted above the world are indissoluble, eternal.The Gospel of Phillip

Sorry but Im just not getting how this is a comparative topic, shouldn't it be on the monotheism section? Or have I misunderstood the point of the comparative studies section?

How do we discuss "God is the light" from any other religion's point of view. How bout this...

No he isn't.

Now that's good comparative discussion right there.

Sacredstar said:
I am collecting comparative quotes from scriptures/texts on GOD is the Light can you share any with me please.

I will start it off with this quote from the Holy Qur’an:

"God says: God is the light of the Heavens and the Earth. His light is like a niche in which is a lamp, the lamp encased in glass, the glass as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive of neither the east nor the west, whose oil is beginning to burst into light, though no fire has touched it. Light upon light. God guideth whomsoever He willeth to His light, and of all things, God is knowing.”

Thank you

Kimxx
Here are a couple excerpts from the Baha'i Writings...

"That the divers communions of the earth, and the manifold systems of religious belief, should never be allowed to foster the feelings of animosity among men, is, in this Day, of the essence of the Faith of God and His Religion. These principles and laws, these firmly-established and mighty systems, have proceeded from one Source, and are rays of one Light. That they differ one from another is to be attributed to the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated." Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, by Bahá'u'lláh, p. 13

"The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Daystar of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The One true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words." Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, by Bahá'u'lláh, p. 14

God is Love, Just, and Holy. He Loves sinners, and hates sin!

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Sorry but Im just not getting how this is a comparative topic, shouldn't it be on the monotheism section? Or have I misunderstood the point of the comparative studies section?

How do we discuss "God is the light" from any other religion's point of view. How bout this...

No he isn't.

Now that's good comparative discussion right there.

L O L! I Love It!

This is the Day!

"This is the Day whereon naught can be seen except the splendors of the Light that shineth from the face of Thy Lord, the Gracious, the Most Bountiful. Verily, We have caused every soul to expire by virtue of Our irresistible and all-subduing sovereignty. We have, then, called into being a new creation, as a token of Our grace unto men. I am, verily, the All-Bountiful, the Ancient of Days."

- Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 29–30, (section XIV).

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]1 John 1:5-7 5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.[/font] -New American Standard Bible

Is He only light?

God is everything. God is darkness also. Thats why we say, “God is that from whom everything comes.” So, both light and darkness are coming from God.

* if you say “God is light,” that sounds very impersonal.
* Many groups say like that but we use the word Godhead, and that distinguishes us from the other groups.

* to say God is light is not the complete truth
* if you say God is only light you cannot reconcile the e.g. the Biblical statement of God that He created humans according to His form
* also in other scriptures there are very strong explanations that God has a form
* the perfect reconciliation of all views on the form of God is found in the Bhagavatam
* "The Supreme Truth is realized in three aspects: as impersonal Brahman, localized Paramatma and at last as the Supreme Personality of Godhead."
* the impersonal Brahman is the all-pervading spiritual - light aspect of God
* the Paramatma feature is His Supersoul aspect in the hearts of all living entities and in all atoms
* The Bhagavan feature is His primeval aspect from which the two previous features expand.
* Bhagavan or the Supreme Personality of Godhead in His spiritual human-like form is eternally in His spiritual abode enjoying His eternal sweet pastimes with His devotees.
* His abode is the ultimate destination of all sincere spiritualists who develop love of God.

Hare Krishna

Back