Hummingbird

InLove

at peace
Reaction score
Hello,

In peace and in Love, I come to ask a question which I am sure you have heard so many times before.

I come as a child--even though I am old--tell me about the hummingbird? I mean, as it relates to your faith?

I have them in my garden....

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
[T]ell me about the hummingbird? I mean, as it relates to your faith?

Neat! :)

Seals and Croft (whom you may remember) used the hummingbird in one of their songs as a metaphor for God's Divine Messenger, in this case Baha'u'llah.

(And the Baha'i scriptures also refer to the nightingale in similiar terms....)

Best, :)

Bruce

InLove said:
Hello,

In peace and in Love, I come to ask a question which I am sure you have heard so many times before.

I come as a child--even though I am old--tell me about the hummingbird? I mean, as it relates to your faith?

InPeace,
InLove

Oh Hummingbird, mankind was

waiting for you to come

flying along

Heavenly Songbird we were so

wrong, we've harmed you

Oh Hummingbird, lend us your

wings

Let us soar in the atmosphere of

Abha

"Lift us up to the Heaven of

Holiness

Oh Source of our being!"* --Oh,

Hummingbird

Hummingbird don't fly away,

fly away

fly away

In you I found a fragrance

I'll love you till I die

I just love you, love you, love you

I don't even know the reason why.

fly away

fly away

The sweetness of your "Nectar"

Has drawn me like a fly

I just love you, love you, love you

I don't even know the reason why

now

fly away

fly away

Haven't you noticed the days

somehow keep getting longer

And the spirit-voices whisper in

us all

Haven't you noticed the rays

The "Spirit Sun" is stronger

And a "New Day" is dawning for

us all.

fly away

fly away

Alas here comes the "Gardener"

He's come to till the flowers

The draught of understanding,

wisdom, peace and love is ours.

fly away

fly away

Don't fly away, don't fly away...

Source:

http://seals-and-crofts-lyrics.wonderlyrics.com/Hummingbird.html

You can also download the lyric at

http://www.Lyricsdownload.com/

Thank you, everyone, for your kind input on the subject. I was hoping I had not asked a silly question. I guess not!:)

Indeed, it was Seals and Crofts' music that originally sparked my interest in the Baha'i faith years ago. I never did follow up as much as I would have liked to. Maybe I can come to this board more often. I know it is a faith that is accepting and peaceful.

J.H. and I have three LP's by Seals and Crofts (now I am really giving away my age, aren't I?). One was mine (Summer Breeze) and J.H. brought Year of Sunday and another one (title escapes me at the moment.) Love, love, love the music.:)

InPeace,
InLove

Glad you stopped by "In love" and enjoyed reading your post...

The "Hummingbird" lyric:

Oh Hummingbird, mankind was waiting for you to come flying along

Heavenly Songbird we were so wrong, we've harmed you

Oh Hummingbird, lend us your wings

Let us soar in the atmosphere of Abha

"Lift us up to the Heaven of Holiness Oh Source of our being!"

This last quote may be a reference to a Baha'i Prayer:

Create in me a pure heart, O my God, and renew a tranquil conscience within me, O my Hope! Through the spirit of power confirm Thou me in Thy Cause, O my Best-Beloved, and by the light of Thy glory reveal unto me Thy path, O Thou the Goal of my desire! Through the power of Thy transcendent might

lift me up unto the heaven of Thy holiness, O Source of my being,

and by the breezes of Thine eternity gladden me, O Thou Who art my God! Let Thine everlasting melodies breathe tranquility on me, O my Companion, and let the riches of Thine ancient countenance deliver me from all except Thee, O my Master, and let the tidings of the revelation of Thine incorruptible Essence bring me joy, O Thou Who art the most manifest of the manifest and the most hidden of the hidden! --Bahá'u'lláh

"atmosphere of Abha" is a reference to the Abha Kingdom and "Abha" is a form of the Greatest Name and reference to Baha'u'llah as the "Abha Beauty".

The "Heavenly Songbird" is also a reference to the "Nightingale of Paradise" or Baha'u'llah. Hummingbirds don't sing, do they?

- Art

the "Don't fly away..." part reminds me of various references like "In the night-season the beauty of the immortal Being hath repaired from the emerald height of fidelity unto the Sadratu'l-Muntaha, and wept with such a weeping that the concourse on high and the dwellers of the realms above wailed at His lamenting...."

Back