Why do most Christians go to church on Sunday?

ambassador

Reaction score
For every Christian who believes that the Bible is the sole rule of faith and practice for the believer, this question is crucial. In fact, it is a question that must be answered by all who profess Jesus as Lord of their lives, and claim to be filled with the Holy Spirit of the Creator God.

Is there any biblical directive to support the practice of so many brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ who attend church on the first day of the week? I challenge anyone to show me.

Meh, any day of the week is a fine day to praise the Lord. It doesn't really matter which day you go - after all, as Jesus says, the sabbath is made for man, not vice versa.

Frankly, the place of corporate worship has long been a curiosity for me, perhaps because I can't relate to the form & content of the traditional Chrisitan church service. Obviously, corporate worship exists for the furtherance of the spiritual growth of its membership-Jesus did say the day would come that people would worship Spirit in truth not in temples-not for the benefit of either Jesus or "God." So, darn interesting question. Like all things, I suppose, it truly is different strokes for different folks and an individual would probably answer differently what they get out of it in part based perhaps on differing forms of worhsip. So, perhaps I'm answering this question with my own sub-question: what about collective Christian worship experiences do you think benefits your spiritual journey or the journey of others?

Thanks for your thoughts, Earl

Yes, anyday of the week is fine. I try to worship at least one a day, but surely God would not reference the Sabbath as much as He did in the Bible if this was not important.

Lets first be clear on what Jesus was saying.

Luke 4:31
31 Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and on the Sabbath began to teach the people.

Luke 6:1-5

One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and his disciples began to pick some heads of grain, rub them in their hands and eat the kernels. 2 Some of the Pharisees asked, "Why are you doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"

3 Jesus answered them, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4 He entered the house of God, and taking the consecrated bread, he ate what is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions." 5 Then Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Luke 6:6-9
6 On another Sabbath he went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. 7 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. 8 But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Get up and stand in front of everyone." So he got up and stood there.

9 Then Jesus said to them, "I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?"

Jesus was trying to tell the importance of the Sabbath. It was not to be burden some but a joyful occasion.

ambassador said:
For every Christian who believes that the Bible is the sole rule of faith and practice for the believer, this question is crucial. In fact, it is a question that must be answered by all who profess Jesus as Lord of their lives, and claim to be filled with the Holy Spirit of the Creator God.

Is there any biblical directive to support the practice of so many brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ who attend church on the first day of the week? I challenge anyone to show me.

What's your point, Ambassador?

Was it the Nicean Creed that talked about worshipping the Christ on what is now 'The Lord's Day' - Sunday - the first day of the week? I think there was a discussion thread about that some time ago...

No one is going to show you any biblical directive to support the practice of attending church on the first day of the week because it isn't there - we already know that. Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian, and he talked about worship on the Sabbath Day, which is the seventh day, not the first. Those of us who worship Jesus as Lord,Savior, and Trinity worship on the Lord's Day, which is Sunday; a Sabbath Day for a lot of Christians. I think that was established in 325 A.D. - But I don't know anything. It could have been established before then.

earl said:
Frankly, the place of corporate worship has long been a curiosity for me, perhaps because I can't relate to the form & content of the traditional Chrisitan church service. Obviously, corporate worship exists for the furtherance of the spiritual growth of its membership-Jesus did say the day would come that people would worship Spirit in truth not in temples-not for the benefit of either Jesus or "God." So, darn interesting question. Like all things, I suppose, it truly is different strokes for different folks and an individual would probably answer differently what they get out of it in part based perhaps on differing forms of worhsip. So, perhaps I'm answering this question with my own sub-question: what about collective Christian worship experiences do you think benefits your spiritual journey or the journey of others?

Earl, I agree with KOR, any day is a good day to worship God (and go to church). Saturday is the Sabbath, and we don't do much except chill (I might cut the grass, but that isn't work, when you sit on a lawn tractor enjoying the sun and warmth of the day, thinking about things - like God, and what we've been blessed with).

To me the seventh day is a day of rest. Doesn't mean to me that one can't have fun. In fact, I think that is something we should do, because well being reflects in our reflection on life.

Like the Jews say, it's a day to let the world be.

My two cents

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Earl, I agree with KOR, any day is a good day to worship God (and go to church). Saturday is the Sabbath, and we don't do much except chill (I might cut the grass, but that isn't work, when you sit on a lawn tractor enjoying the sun and warmth of the day, thinking about things - like God, and what we've been blessed with).

To me the seventh day is a day of rest. Doesn't mean to me that one can't have fun. In fact, I think that is something we should do, because well being reflects in our reflection on life.

Like the Jews say, it's a day to let the world be.

My two cents

v/r

Q
Hi Q-liked your "lawn mower" Sabbath, (though personally detest mowing). To me "honoring the Sabbath" is anytime we pause from our typical mundane activities to reconnect spiritually in whatever way is personally meaningful. I'd guess that maybe frequent "mini-Sabbaths" repeated throughout the course of the day might be more effective than 1 hour at church once per week only;)

I agree with the gist of most of the posts here--any day (every day) is a good day to worship God in ways both individual or corporate. I also agree with the idea that the Sabbath, while not binding on non-Jews, was practiced by Jesus (because he was a Jew). Interesting that His example of Sabbath for us was not an example of avoidance of any work, but more of withdrawing from the world and into God, aligning oneself as fully as possible with His will. And I like Q's lawnmowing Sabbath as well. :) Not that God wills grass to be mowed, but that any work done "in the Spirit" is good work.

I would like to say something about what earl brought up:

earl said:

I think belonging to a Church is about the most important part of my being a Christian, and it's not about having friends, socializing or a support community. For me Christianity is a Body religion and what makes it live for me is being part of something greater than and outside of myself. It is plugging into the tradition and the Wisdom and the sacraments that brings Christinaity to life for me. Of course the nurturing and practice I do on my own through prayer, listening to God, reading the Word, loving my neighbor is very important for my spiritual development. It really is like working on a relationship, in this case with God.

But community worship is not really about the individual's spiritual journey. Corporate worship is, in a way, for the rest of the world. Q can tell you better than I, in the old latin mass the priest did not face the congregation. He faced outward, the direction toward which we project our worship. It is a response of the created to the love of the Creator, and it is a way for Christ's Kingdom to break through into our world. We thank God for the gifts He has given us, we offer ourselves back to Him, and then we take those gifts out into the world. In a way, corporate worship is more about mission than about individual spiritual growth. ' course having said all of that, I do feel that I am personally nurtured by the church I attend, both during worship while feeding on the Word and on the Spiritual food of bread and wine, Body and Blood, and also when I work, study and socialize with the other members of the church.

Here's a nice paragraph from Marcus Borg (from where else, The Heart of Christianity):

In worship we internalize the tradition through liturgy, hymns, scripture readings, and preaching. We join in praise of God. Praise is doxology, and it not only draws us out of ourselves, but is also profoundly subversive: doxology affirms that God alone is the source of all blessing, that God is Lord and the lords of this world are not. In worship, we enter a potential thin place. In worship, we are nourished.

As usual, more than I meant to say when I started out. :)
lunamoth

Lunamoth- you expressed your view so beautifully. Actually, I've long wished I could find an actual church with which to throw in my lot as I do believe that all religious/spiritual journeys are best undertaken in community, both because I believe one cannot really progress as far without the commune of others and because I believe the real fruit of the spiritual vine lies in how we can take the sap with which we are nourished and nourish others in turn again best done in an ongoing, face-to-face community. My difficulty is I'm too much of a spiritual hybrid to feel sufficiently comfortable with the typical sermons and hymns, etc. of the traditional Protestant churches available to me in a town of 15,000 in the middle of Kansas. Actually somewhat envious of those who've found that kind of fit. Good for you! Earl

Hi Earl,

I guess I am lucky about finding the church I currently attend. I live in the 'burbs of a largish city and the Episcopal chruch I belong to now is large, has lots of families with children, has great clergy, and is open and progressive. Not so the Episcopal church I grew up in, which was in a small town and always seemed full of old people. In between then and now I was an agnostic for about 20 years, then a Baha'i for about five. Then one day I found myself on my knees in the church I'm in...guess it found me.

As far as fitting in--ha! I'm kind of a hybrid too! There would be no church to which I could belong if I had to fit in perfectly. I keep in mind that believing the creeds etc. does not necessarily mean giving full intellectual assent, but giving my heart to. I also remember that if I already fit the mold then there'd be no room for growth.

Peace and best wishes in finding a church home.

peace,
lunamoth

I would like to point out that the sabbath was established during creation which was before any formal calendar was made. It was supposed to be 6 days of work and 1 day of rest. The Jews established it on a certain day of the week later on in the bible and I agree with luna that Jesus observed the Sabbath because He was Jewish.

I believe that Jesus is my Sabbath

Matthew 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Matthew 11:30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

ambassador,

does it grieve you when you know some do not go on saturday like they are not keeping the commandments or some other biblical teaching? if it does, i will tell you a little secret on how to avoid pain, when others do not believe the same way or see it differently.

if it is not bothering you in this manner, & it is to bring judgment, we must learn to let God be the judge even when it appears others are not doing or believing what the bible is saying & they are into a different doctrine/teaching than you.
you can send me a PM, & i will explain.:)

Some today insist that Christians must keep the Sabbath day, that those who worship on the first day of the week (Sunday) are in great error. They reason that "Sun-day" comes from the pagan worship of the Sun god, that Jesus and Paul kept the Sabbath day as an example for us to follow, and that the Roman Catholic church is responsible for the change in the day of worship. Those who continue to worship on Sunday will receive the mark of the beast.

Let’s briefly look at these arguments. First, nowhere does the Fourth Commandment say that Christians are to worship on the Sabbath. It commands that we rest on that day: "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work . . . For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:8–11). Sabbath-keepers worship on Saturday. However, the word "Satur-day" comes from the Latin for "Saturn’s day," a pagan day of worship of the planet Saturn (astrology).

If a Christian’s salvation depends upon his keeping a certain day, surely God would have told us. At one point, the apostles gathered specifically to discuss the relationship of believers to the Law of Moses. Acts 15:5–11, 24–29 was God’s opportunity to make His will clear to His children. All He had to do to save millions from damnation was say, "Remember to keep the Sabbath holy," and millions of Christ-centered, God-loving, Bible-believing Christians would have gladly kept it. Instead, the only commands the apostles gave were to "abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication."

There isn’t even one command in the New Testament for Christians to keep the Sabbath holy. In fact, we are told not to let others judge us regarding Sabbaths (Colossian 2:16), and that man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for man (Mark 2:27). The Sabbath was given as a sign to Israel (Exodus 31:13–17); nowhere is it given as a sign to the Church. Thousands of years after the Commandment was given we can still see the sign that separates Israel from the world—they continue to keep the Sabbath holy.

The apostles came together on the first day of the week to break bread (Acts 20:7). The collection was taken on the first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16:2). When do Sabbath-keepers gather together to break bread or take up the collection? It’s not on the same day as the early Church. They tell us that the Roman Catholic church changed their day of worship from Saturday to Sunday, but what has that got to do with the disciples keeping the first day of the week? That was the Roman Catholic church in the early centuries, not the Church of the Book of Acts.

Romans 14:5–10 tells us that one man esteems one day of the week above another; another esteems every day alike. Then Scripture tells us that everyone should be fully persuaded in his own mind. We are not to judge each other regarding the day on which we worship.

Jesus did keep the Sabbath. He had to keep the whole Law to be the perfect sacrifice. The Bible makes it clear that the Law has been satisfied in Christ. The reason Paul went to the synagogue each Sabbath wasn’t to keep the Law; that would have been contrary to everything he taught about being saved by grace alone (Ephesians 2:8,9). It was so he could preach the gospel to the Jews, as evident in the Book of Acts. Paul had an incredible evangelistic zeal for Israel to be saved (Romans 10:1). To the Jew he became as a Jew, that he might win the Jews (1 Corinthians 9:19,20). That meant he went to where they gathered on the day they gathered.

What is right for one, may not be right for his neighbor. So we are not to put things in front of our neighbor inorder that they should stumble. That's pretty clear in the NT as well.

If I hold Saturday as a day to worship God, then I am doing right. If my neighbor holds Sunday as a day to worship God, then he is doing right. It is the intent of the worshiper to please God, not the action or the day.

I'll agree with that.

v/r

Q

I go to church on Sat night sometimes, Sun morning sometimes, Sun night sometimes all depends which service I can make.

My sabbath is Jesus he provides my comfort and rest when I need it.

But I take it pretty easy on both days most the time. I dont think people that hold Sat or Sun above the other are the ones in trouble. I believe its the ones who constantly tell the others they are wrong that are going to be asked why they tried to make their brothers stumble.

I have not thouroughly read through this conversation. I certainly cannot tell you why most Christians go to church on Sunday, but I can tell you why I do.

I go to church on Sunday because there are people there that depend on me. I go to church on Sunday because the people in my neighborhood expect me to, and believe me, they watch to see if I do.

I go to church on Sunday because, as far as I know, it is the day that an empty tomb was discovered.

Going to church on Sunday is not a mandate from God. Gathering with believers and encouraging each other in God's love is. A church building is not sacred. It is the Spirit that counts.

And of course, to worship God everyday, in everything, is full of all kinds of blessings. It is good when we start before we even open our eyes each morning.

InPeace,
InLove

Back