Debunking "the devil"...

WiccanWade

Reaction score
[I'm sorry, as I was unsure where to place this, specifically. However, I shall post a more propper Intro. in a moment]:

I'm in the process of researching the evidence for The Goddess in The Bible, and other Christian Godess worshipers whom hail far before Gardner's time (such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton), for a book I am researching and writing! Anyhoo...what I would also like to address is any evidence (by some very well researched, and unbiased, folks) which seems to (for want of a better word) "debunk" the existance of the devil. Because....what I'd always heard was that there's no evidence for the existance of any being such as "the devil" or "satan" pre-dating the Middle Ages. And, others, I've heard, assert that "satan" is never meant to be any propper name, or describing any actual entity, based on the origional Hebrew, or what have you. And, "the devil" as a purely fictitious (or invented) entity, based on history and the works of scholarls is something I would like to explore and research. Yet...thinking that a few Christo-Pagans (whos Trad. I respect, albeit doesn't make much sense to me, personally) I know of On-Line, might be relatively unbiased, and able to point me to such sources. But, that was not the case. They seemed to find fault in all that I had heard, and still (unfortunately) believe in this entity. Because, my reason for researching this is...I don't think it's enough (in my own personal opinion, with regards to any students one may have) to simply say that we don't believe in the devil, or don't acknowledge his existence. I'm the sort which like to have some sort of validation, or proof, to support what I believe. To allow them, perhaps, to feel better about it. Aside from being able to speak relatively knowledgibly about this issue. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any excellent sources for such a study or research? Please, recommend 'em! Whew...sorry for that rammble, there.

Talk to you later...

I said:
I'll have to go get my Strong's out to get the specific Biblical references. However, for the moment, here's a link to something I wrote about Hell that may or may not be of any help in your research:

http://www.comparative-religion.com/articles/jesus_hell.php

Thanks! I'm open to any references you might recommend, which are very well researched, and meet the burdon of proof, as it were. A friend ona list I belong to recommended the following book, which he says is definately NOT anti-Christian: "Putting Away Childish Things: The Virgin Birth, the Empty Tomb, and Other Fairy Tales You Dont't Need to Believe to Have a Living Faith", by Uta Ranke-Heinemann, Peter Heinegg (Translator) However, having never read it, or even looked at it, before, I cannot judge is scholarship or how well researched and rational it is! And, am looking for such literature, which is very well grounded.

However, it's not just "hell" that I wish to discuss, but also debunking, as it were, "the devil". In an effort to speak to readers who may be coming from a Judeo-Christian path, to really get them to think for themself, et al. Heck, I also have many conservative Christian relatives, and would like to give them a copy, and ease their fears in "the devil", "hell", and the evidence for The Goddess in the Bible and the Christian God, etc...

Hi, WiccanWade! Blessed be, and great to meet you! I am also Wiccan, and also an author. I also used to be, in my misspent youth, a born-again fundamentalist Christian, so I know something of that world as well. We may have some things to share with one another.

I’m afraid both the names Satan and the Devil do appear in the Bible, do appear to represent a specific being, and do therefore greatly predate the Middle Ages. The earliest mention of Satan, in terms of the chronology of the Old Testament’s writing, is probably the Book of Job, where Satan is described as a kind of prosecuting attorney. Indeed, the name Satan comes from the Hebrew word for “Adversary.” Identification with the serpent in the Garden of Eden came MUCH later. The word Devil doesn’t appear until Matthew, first book of the New Testament, in Chapter 4. That name comes from the Greek Diabolus, meaning “Slanderer.” While it can certainly be argued that both Satan and the Devil are intended as metaphor, they are certainly presented in the Bible as a specific being, as real as God, Jesus, or any other character therein.

What has interested me about this critter, though, is the fact that he’s changed quite a bit over the centuries. In the Old Testament, when he appears at all, it is as one of the “Sons of God,” as Job puts it—presumably just another angel (though the concept of the sons of God probably derives ultimately from Sumerian myth, whence came much of Genesis.) Throughout the O.T., it is GOD who is viewed as the source of evil, believe it or not. Amos 3:6: “Shall there be evil in the city, and the Lord hath not done it?” 1 Samuel 18:10: “ . . . the evil spirit from God [that] came upon Saul. . . .” Lamentations 3:38: “Out of the mouth of the most high proceedeth not evil and good?”

An early competitor of Christianity was Mithraism and, in fact, Christianity absorbed a lot of Mithraic mythology in the course of vanquishing it—such as, for instance, Jesus’ birthday on December 25th. This Persian religion viewed the universe as a colossal battleground between the forces of Good and Light (Mithra) versus an equal but opposing god of Evil and Darkness, Ahriman. This same concept was picked up by Zoroastrianism and the Manichean Heresy, and aspects of it spread to Christianity, with the idea that, somehow, God needs our help to win out over evil, and we with our damned free will get to choose which side to join. Only in the Middle Ages did things swing back the other way; if Satan was as powerful as God, if he was, in fact, a SECOND god opposed to the first, then God could not truly be God; therefore, the Devil had to be a lesser power and subject to God’s will. It is true that only in the Middle Ages do we begin to see the Devil in his modern form, as a fallen prince of demons and lord of Hell interested in corrupting mankind and carrying souls off to the underworld. In the New Testament, I believe, the Devil is explicitly seen as being cast out of heaven to the Earth. The Book of Revelations brings up the idea of him being later—at the end times, cast into the lake of fire. The Fundamentalist view of Satan nowadays, I fear, owes at least as much to Milton as it does to the Bible.

I’m fascinated by your thesis about the Goddess in the Bible. Are you aware that the visible manifestation of God’s presence in the O.T.—the “Shekinah,” is female? Within the Kabalic tradition, God is seen as male AND female; the first sephira, Kether, splits into the male Chokmah and the female Bineh as the first act of creation. Food for thought.

Allow me to recommend a book: Pagans & Christians, The Personal Spiritual Experience, by Gus diZerega. He does an excellent job of looking at the roots of both Pagan and Christian belief, in the hope of getting the two to talk to one another, and he touches on these ideas along the way.

Looking forward to discussing things further with you on these boards!

WHKeith said:
Hi, WiccanWade! Blessed be, and great to meet you! I am also Wiccan, and also an author. I also used to be, in my misspent youth, a born-again fundamentalist Christian, so I know something of that world as well. We may have some things to share with one another.

Nice to meet you!

WHKeith said:
I’m afraid both the names Satan and the Devil do appear in the Bible, do appear to represent a specific being, and do therefore greatly predate the Middle Ages. The earliest mention of Satan, in terms of the chronology of the Old Testament’s writing, is probably the Book of Job, where Satan is described as a kind of prosecuting attorney. Indeed, the name Satan comes from the Hebrew word for “Adversary.” Identification with the serpent in the Garden of Eden came MUCH later. The word Devil doesn’t appear until Matthew, first book of the New Testament, in Chapter 4. That name comes from the Greek Diabolus, meaning “Slanderer.” While it can certainly be argued that both Satan and the Devil are intended as metaphor, they are certainly presented in the Bible as a specific being, as real as God, Jesus, or any other character therein.

Well, "diabolos" doesn't so much mean "slanderER", as "slanderous", according to my dictionary. And, based on the evidence, which I would like to research, these meantions may have been blatant mistranslations, and re-writings. And, for whatever reasons, am convinced that there is evidence, somewhere, which is written by an unbiased scholar (whos work I am hoping to find) which may lay this to rest.

The first chapter I'm working on is called "The Nature of God". Whiuch will discuss, in part, the evidence for The Goddess in The Bible.

By the way, what have you written? I may try and find it!

WHKeith said:
What has interested me about this critter, though, is the fact that he’s changed quite a bit over the centuries.

True. And, I'd still like to read "Putting Away Childish Things" to get a taste fr its research, and whether or not it may meet the burdon of proof.

WHKeith said:
[Throughout the O.T., it is GOD who is viewed as the source of evil, believe it or not. Amos 3:6: “Shall there be evil in the city, and the Lord hath not done it?” 1 Samuel 18:10: “ . . . the evil spirit from God [that] came upon Saul. . . .” Lamentations 3:38: “Out of the mouth of the most high proceedeth not evil and good?”

REALLY, now? Now, that's interesting! Although, I always try to find validation in the origional Hebrew. Does this support it, as well?

WHKeith said:
An early competitor of Christianity was Mithraism and, in fact, Christianity absorbed a lot of Mithraic mythology in the course of vanquishing it—such as, for instance, Jesus’ birthday on December 25th.

Jesus' Mass on Dec. 25th. was as a result of the date of the Roman Saturnalia, I have always read.

WHKeith said:
[This Persian religion viewed the universe as a colossal battleground between the forces of Good and Light (Mithra) versus an equal but opposing god of Evil and Darkness, Ahriman. This same concept was picked up by Zoroastrianism and the Manichean Heresy, and aspects of it spread to Christianity, with the idea that, somehow, God needs our help to win out over evil, and we with our damned free will get to choose which side to join.

How did it (it begs the question), after all, spread into Christianity?

WHKeith said:
The Book of Revelations brings up the idea of him being later—at the end times, cast into the lake of fire. The Fundamentalist view of Satan nowadays, I fear, owes at least as much to Milton as it does to the Bible.

The exact notion which I would like to debunk. Because, I doin't think it's enough to say that the devil doesn't exist, and we don't believe in him. Especially if one is coming to it from a Jedeo-monotheistic faith!

WHKeith said:
I’m fascinated by your thesis about the Goddess in the Bible. Are you aware that the visible manifestation of God’s presence in the O.T.—the “Shekinah,” is female?

No, I'm not. But, I'm still researching it. Care to point mne to some fairly well respected sources o research that fact, and validate it?

WHKeith said:
Within the Kabalic tradition, God is seen as male AND female; the first sephira, Kether, splits into the male Chokmah and the female Bineh as the first act of creation. Food for thought.

Yes, I know that. And, may delve into it, if I can throughout the scope of the book,, if I could find a place to discuss it. Becauise, I want to write a spirituwhere it's too jam-packed! EEK!

I also seek to answer many questions, which nearly all books on The Craft fail to do, which is addressing why, as an example, Friday, Venus, the colour green, and copper are all listed as "correspondences". There is a meathod to the madness, if ya' didn't know. ;-) And, there are many very well educated Witches whom do not (surprisingly)!

WHKeith said:
Allow me to recommend a book: Pagans & Christians, The Personal Spiritual Experience, by Gus diZerega. He does an excellent job of looking at the roots of both Pagan and Christian belief, in the hope of getting the two to talk to one another, and he touches on these ideas along the way.

I've all but given up hope on anything Llewellyn publishes. Besides, I really do not want to list anything by them in my bibliography, because it is so highly unrespected, that for this reason alone (believe me, as I've seen it with my own eyes) many pagans have attacked several authors for listeing any Llewellyn books actually in their bibliography, for goodness sake! Although, they publish the occassionally good book, such as Ed Fitch's outer court material, the wrest is usually junk.

Although, LET'S not discuss $ilver RavenWolf here, lease. ;o)

Blessed Be,
Wade

It may also interest anyone to know that Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who dies in 1902 (if I've got my dates correct) also prayed to The Goddess, and was a Christian. She even published "The Woman's Bible", all before Gadner had been Initiated as a Witch (if I'm remembering correctly).

Man, this’s gonna be fun. I wonder, though, WiccanWade, if we shouldn’t move this over to the Alternative Spirituality board. Having a couple of Wiccans debate and discuss their religion on the Christian board isn’t exactly kosher. Ah . . . my mistake. This is Religion Central. I guess that’s okay, then. We’ll let the moderator decide where this best goes.

To answer your question about what I’ve written—I’ve got sixty-some novels published so far, about half-and-half science fiction and military technothrillers. The technothrillers are most recently written under the penname “H. Jay Riker,” and include one series about the Navy SEALs, and another on modern submarine combat. The SF comes out under my own name—William H. Keith—and under the name Ian Douglas for a series about the U.S. Marines in the future.

Currently, I’m about halfway done with my first NON-fiction book. It will be published by Citadel Press, and is tentatively titled “The Science of the Craft.” It looks at magic and witchcraft in relation to quantum physics . . . how the quantum metaverse could explain certain magical operations through manifestations of such delightful notions as nonlocality, parallel universes, and what I call “the Believer Effect.”

In general, I agree with your assessment of Llewellyn Books. They’ll print ANYTHING, and I gather they’re not especially kind to their authors, though I have no direct experience of that. I’ve been especially dismayed by the D.J. Conway Effect: some of her early books were excellent, but it seemed after a time that she was just turning out one title after another by taking the same material and dressing it in different clothing—Celtic magic, dragon magic, faery magic—simply for commercial viability.

I’d not heard about the pagan community’s persecution of those using Llewellyn source material. I’ll need to take a closer look at that.

I urge you not to throw the baby out with the acid bath, however. DiZerega’s book is scholarly in an accessible way, and fulfills a genuine need within the spiritual community. His basic thesis is that both Christian and pagan spirituality are valid expressions of the personal spiritual path, that each has much to learn from the other, and that tolerance and open-mindedness are more useful than their opposites. He takes care not to attack Christianity in general; however, he does make an excellent case against the more rabid forms of Biblical fundamentalism, showing how they tend to shoot themselves in the foot over such doctrines as . . . well, now that you mention it, as belief in the Devil.

On the etymology of the word “devil,” my dictionary shows it coming through the Old English “deofol” from the Latin “diabolos,” meaning “slanderer,” which certainly matches the old Hebrew notion of “the Accuser” or “the Adversary.” Can’t see that it makes more than a hair’s split of difference. We’re obviously on the same page there.

I respectfully disagree that ideas about the devil were the result of Medieval mistranslations or editorial rewriting. There WERE many such, yes. Two well-known examples are the mistaken translation of the Hebrew word for “shining” as the word “horned” in one early version of Exodus, with the result that many Medieval representations of Moses—including the famous one by Michelangelo—show the poor fellow with horns on his head; and the apparently deliberate substitution of the word “witch” for the related word “poisoner” in Exodus 22:18, a bit of propaganda perpetrated by King James’ translators in 1611. However, exhaustive scholarship by both Jewish and Christian researchers—backed by confirmations of the validity of our understanding of the ancient languages uncovered by archeology and paleolinguistics—appear to wholly vindicate both the literal translation and our current numinal understanding of the Biblical text as we know them today. Such scholarship helps us know today that, for example, the rather ill-fitting ending to the Book of Mark was a later editorial addition to the original document, possibly in order to bring it into line with other documents concerning the teachings of Jesus. Polycarp? Are you reading this? Help me out, here.

I, for one, am deeply suspicious of wholesale rewritings of history or of historical documents in order to support claims that what we have today is the result of some sort of vast and hidden conspiracy. A good example is the current revival of the old Gnostic idea that Jesus survived the crucifixion, married Mary Magdalene, and moved off to the south of France to have kids—the Merovingian Bloodline conspiracy popularized by several less-than-scholarly books.

On the topic of the Devil’s existence—this touches on a point I’ve been debating with fellow Wiccans for years. Because Wiccans have for so long been accused of “Satan-worship,” they have evolved a cute saying along the lines of “We don’t believe in Satan; he’s a CHRISTIAN god. . . .” which, of course, leaves bigoted accusers sputtering in their bile.

While useful as a disarming tactic in a religious debate, it doesn’t address a key question of (some) Wiccan belief: to what degree are the gods and goddesses literally creations of the human psyche, thought-forms given life and power through the belief, veneration, and focus of their worshippers?

Ask seven different Wiccans what they believe about Deity and you’ll likely get thirteen different answers, at least. The majority tend to believe—in my experience—in both immanent and transcendent deity, meaning the Divine is both a part of us and simultaneously independent of human belief. A large but cogently vocal minority, however, see the deities as at LEAST as dependent upon our belief in them as we are upon them, and possibly more so. In the extreme form of this belief, the gods become metaphors, psychological “handles” by which we can grasp and manipulate aspects of our own subconscious. This is the basis for much of chaos magic, among other systems.

It’s not my intent to argue one belief system over another here. They’re all valid, and, in true quantum-physical fashion, may well all be objectively true (whatever the hell THAT means!) pending the wave-form collapse of the observer! However, as Wiccans we’ve both had experience, I’m sure, with manifested thought forms, artificial elementals, wraiths (or “raiths,” as Starhawk calls them), and what the ceremonial magicians call ergovores. The essence of magic is to build a desired outcome OR ENTITY on the astral, then give it sufficient energy to allow it to manifest on this plane.

Any sensitive person is aware of the feeling of reverence, awe, and holiness one feels upon walking into an old and long-used church, no matter what their personal belief system—a feeling that seems quite independent of such externals as awe-inspiring architecture. The Wiccan explanation, of course, is that that building has become the focus of a GREAT deal of mental energy—the thoughts, hopes, pains, prayers, belief, and passion of generations of worshippers. Over time, worship within a church of ANY denomination can build up one hell of a powerful wraith!

All of which leaves me wondering. How many people, throughout the course of the past 2000 years, have believed—sometimes passionately—in the Christian devil? Has that belief given life and energy to such a creature, either as a reflected facet of the human psyche, or as an externalized and manifested thought form? Since the universe can be seen as a kind of shared and consensual illusion, this thought form wouldn’t be the all-consuming bogie man Christian mythology says it is save for those folks who believed in it, but it COULD be seen as having an objective reality. I daresay—given the nature of religious demographics and the global population explosion—far more people have believed in the devil, and put more energy into his existence, in just the past 500 years than ever have believed in Pan.

Just stuff to ponder . . .

Yes, I’ve heard Christmas linked to the Saturnalia as well, though that festival took place over the course of a week or more, I believe. Mithra’s birthday was given as the 25th of December in connection with the winter solstice—which came a bit later a few thousand years ago than it does now. Of course, the Saturnalia ALSO was connected with the solstice, originally. My comment about spill-over from other religions was a generalized comment about the nature of the Christianization of Europe during the first few centuries C.E. The authorities had a lot of trouble making the local country-dwellers [i.e. “paganos”] give up their beloved festivals and mythologies which they’d been enjoying for thousands of years. The clever thing to do was to assimilate local beliefs and customs, giving them a Christian veneer. My favorites: St. Bridget, a transparently obvious reworking of the goddess Brigid; and the folklore surrounding the central-European fertility goddess Eostre, whence comes the word “Easter” and the various blatantly pagan emblems like rabbits, colored eggs, and new suits of clothing. There appears to be a lot of cross-pollination between the Mithraic cult and early Christianity—hardly surprising since Constantine was a Mithraist before he switched to worshipping the Christ. Historically, there seems to be a re-creation of an older, dying Mithraic religion along Platonic lines occurring as late as 100 C.E., and so it’s problematical to say which faith spawned which article of doctrine. Likeliest is that the parallels—including a virgin birth, a temptation by evil, baptism, a substitute sacrifice, redemption by blood, an ascension into heaven, the initiate’s symbolic death and resurrection, freeing the soul from earthly bonds, and Mithra’s role as mediator between Man and God all were in fact drawn from yet earlier belief systems, including Greek-Egyptian mystery religions. Baptism, certainly, was widespread throughout the ancient world long before the Essenes, and both Christianity and Roman Mithraism rely heavily on Plato for such notions as the soul and the nastier aspects of matter.

Leastwise, that’s the way I heard it.

Oops. As usual, I’ve rambled on way too long. Time to see about getting some work done.

Thanks for the discussion!

WHKeith said:
Man, this’s gonna be fun.

Yeah, hopefully it'll stay rather light, due to something which happened on another board I belong to (a Wiccan board). A member joined, and started using soime bad language rather casually. And, with some such young members, that wasn't cool! So...I asked them to watch their l;anguage. And, they started to attack me, and everything I said, even calling me horrible names! Names which I don't wish to repeat. And, the Modorators refused to do anything about it, laughing at us both. Now, I wasn't egging him on. But, I wasn't sitting idly by allowing them to lambaste me in the manner that he was. He was ruthless, nitpicking everything I said, making it sound foolish, even calling me, in an off-handed way, "stupid". And, this started the very day that they joined. *sigh* And, I am just one who does not enjoy confrontation. However, this individual seems to thrive off of it, for some reason. *Groan!*

WHKeith said:
I wonder, though, WiccanWade, if we shouldn’t move this over to the Alternative Spirituality board. Having a couple of Wiccans debate and discuss their religion on the Christian board isn’t exactly kosher. Ah . . . my mistake. This is Religion Central. I guess that’s okay, then. We’ll let the moderator decide where this best goes.

Well, we can move anything else to that board, then... ;-)

WHKeith said:
To answer your question about what I’ve written—I’ve got sixty-some novels published so far, about half-and-half science fiction and military technothrillers. The technothrillers are most recently written under the penname “H. Jay Riker,” and include one series about the Navy SEALs, and another on modern submarine combat. The SF comes out under my own name—William H. Keith—and under the name Ian Douglas for a series about the U.S. Marines in the future.

Why so many pen names???

WHKeith said:
Currently, I’m about halfway done with my first NON-fiction book. It will be published by Citadel Press, and is tentatively titled “The Science of the Craft.” It looks at magic and witchcraft in relation to quantum physics . . . how the quantum metaverse could explain certain magical operations through manifestations of such delightful notions as nonlocality, parallel universes, and what I call “the Believer Effect.”

Well, I know Citadel Pr. and was never too impressed with their books. They just seem rather light, or watered down. *shrugs* Just my own observances.

Although, I'm readying to teach a course on The Science of Witchcraft, soon. Which I also intend to add to the book I'm writing. Although, watch out for those critics, whom, like Laurie, will referr to your book as "pseudo-science". *grummble* Although, an excellent example of "synchronicity", to me, is that since Laurie book "Power Of The Witch", no book has been published about The Science of Witchcraft , save for the last 2 or 3 years. Such books include: "The Inner Temple of WItchcraft," "The Veil's Edge," and "Witchcrafting." Those are the only which I can think of, off the top of my head!

WHKeith said:
In general, I agree with your assessment of Llewellyn Books. They’ll print ANYTHING, and I gather they’re not especially kind to their authors, though I have no direct experience of that.

Oh...I've heard some horor stories! Such as they trap their authors in contracts, and have a habit of ruining their rep. by demanding they fill their books with spells and recipes, or they'll refuse to publish it. *sigh*

WHKeith said:
I’ve been especially dismayed by the D.J. Conway Effect: some of her early books were excellent, but it seemed after a time that she was just turning out one title after another by taking the same material and dressing it in different clothing—Celtic magic, dragon magic, faery magic—simply for commercial viability.

Oh, I found her book on dragons to be laughible! And, didn't buy into most of it. Although, whomever first recommended to me, $ilver RavenWolf's books ought to be drug out into the street and shot! (Just kidding!) But, I seriously have a prob;em (having been there, done that) with anyone who recommends $ilver's books as any "good starting point"! I was told, by a British Witch, that a good book is "Dragons of the West", by Nigel Pennick (Capall Bann).

WHKeith said:
I’d not heard about the pagan community’s persecution of those using Llewellyn source material. I’ll need to take a closer look at that.

Oh, on-line, I've seen scathing remarks, for simply using Llewellyn sorce material. Although, with regards to some authors, I can't say I disagree entirely! For example, I cringe whenever I see anyone list $ilver RavenWolf in their bibliography! EEK!
WHKeith said:
I urge you not to throw the baby out with the acid bath, however. DiZerega’s book is scholarly in an accessible way, and fulfills a genuine need within the spiritual community. His basic thesis is that both Christian and pagan spirituality are valid expressions of the personal spiritual path, that each has much to learn from the other, and that tolerance and open-mindedness are more useful than their opposites. He takes care not to attack Christianity in general; however, he does make an excellent case against the more rabid forms of Biblical fundamentalism, showing how they tend to shoot themselves in the foot over such doctrines as . . . well, now that you mention it, as belief in the Devil.

Well, because of the hundreds of dollars I've wasted on A LOT of Llewellyn material (may TheGoddess bless the Half Priced Bookstore!), I cannot bring myself to funnel any more money heir way, as much as I would like to flipp through this book. I just can't bring myself to, because I've been so severely burned.

WHKeith said:
I respectfully disagree that ideas about the devil were the result of Medieval mistranslations or editorial rewriting. There WERE many such, yes. Two well-known examples are the mistaken translation of the Hebrew word for “shining” as the word “horned” in one early version of Exodus, with the result that many Medieval representations of Moses—including the famous one by Michelangelo—show the poor fellow with horns on his head; and the apparently deliberate substitution of the word “witch” for the related word “poisoner” in Exodus 22:18, a bit of propaganda perpetrated by King James’ translators in 1611. However, exhaustive scholarship by both Jewish and Christian researchers—backed by confirmations of the validity of our understanding of the ancient languages uncovered by archeology and paleolinguistics—appear to wholly vindicate both the literal translation and our current numinal understanding of the Biblical text as we know them today. Such scholarship helps us know today that, for example, the rather ill-fitting ending to the Book of Mark was a later editorial addition to the original document, possibly in order to bring it into line with other documents concerning the teachings of Jesus.

Ah...but, I was always taught that there is no validation for the existance of "satan" of "the devil" in The Bible as an actual entity, rather than more of a metaphor, or internal feeling; which are both far removed from any actual physical person.

WHKeith said:
I, for one, am deeply suspicious of wholesale rewritings of history or of historical documents in order to support claims that what we have today is the result of some sort of vast and hidden conspiracy. A good example is the current revival of the old Gnostic idea that Jesus survived the crucifixion, married Mary Magdalene, and moved off to the south of France to have kids—the Merovingian Bloodline conspiracy popularized by several less-than-scholarly books.[/quote'

Actually, that's more accurate than you know! According to some excellent research, he did not survive the Crucifixion, but his body was smuggled to France to be burried, where a Church now stands! And, according to some other very well research material, the "holy grail" was his blood line, or what not. But, getting back to France. A number of years ago the Priest of this church was cleaning the altar, and then founf a loose time. So, upon removing it he found a piece of parchment, with such a shattering message upon it, that it shattered his faith, as evidence by this very chappels later architecture, added by him! Because, he took it directly to the Vatican, where they sealed it in their vaults. But, he altared the church to show his disbelief, now. With figures of the devil, and whatnot, in it! A few good books about this include:

* Bloodline of the Holy Grail, by Laurence Gardner
* The Tomb of God, by Richard Andrews & Paul Schellenberger
* The Dark Side of Christian History, by Helen Ellerbe
* Holy Blood, Holy Grail, by M. Baigent, et al.
* Idioms in the Bible Explained, by G. Lamsa
* The Other Bible, edited by W. Barnstone
- These are recommended by an exhaustively well researched Gnostic Christian, a very hard-core "prove it to me" type, by the name of Sylvia Browne. She often boasts that she's from Missourri, the "show me" state.

WHKeith said:
While useful as a disarming tactic in a religious debate, it doesn’t address a key question of (some) Wiccan belief: to what degree are the gods and goddesses literally creations of the human psyche, thought-forms given life and power through the belief, veneration, and focus of their worshippers?

Personally, I do not (and cannot/could not) buy into this philosophy of theology, myself. It seems like such an empty, and lonely, existence.

WHKeith said:
Ask seven different Wiccans what they believe about Deity and you’ll likely get thirteen different answers, at least. The majority tend to believe—in my experience—in both immanent and transcendent deity, meaning the Divine is both a part of us and simultaneously independent of human belief.

Yeah...I know what that means. And, will admit that this is my philosophy, believing that we are "sparks from the Divine sparkler". ;o)

WHKeith said:
A large but cogently vocal minority, however, see the deities as at LEAST as dependent upon our belief in them as we are upon them, and possibly more so. In the extreme form of this belief, the gods become metaphors, psychological “handles” by which we can grasp and manipulate aspects of our own subconscious. This is the basis for much of chaos magic, among other systems.

Preachin' to the choir, here, brotha'. :eek:) However, this is not my philosophy, because it lends itself to such a lonely existence.

WHKeith said:
It’s not my intent to argue one belief system over another here. They’re all valid, and, in true quantum-physical fashion, may well all be objectively true (whatever the hell THAT means!) pending the wave-form collapse of the observer!

Now, I respectfully disagree with this, as it has been my experience that the New Physics supports, more than ever, the existance of a Higher Power, or what many refer to as the Universal Mind. Although, speaking of physics, I'm always interested in picking uo a few recommended titles, would you care to recommend any I might like to add to my library? I'm ALWAYS looking for some more excellent books!!! :eek:)

By the way, I'll be sure and buy your book when it comes uot. Which pen name shall it be under? Heh heh heh... ;o)

WHKeith said:
as Wiccans we’ve both had experience, I’m sure, with manifested thought forms, artificial elementals, wraiths (or “raiths,” as Starhawk calls them), and what the ceremonial magicians call ergovores. The essence of magic is to build a desired outcome OR ENTITY on the astral, then give it sufficient energy to allow it to manifest on this plane.
WHKeith said:
I don't personally feel that referring to is as an "entity" is really an adequite term, or an apt description, I must say. Sorry. I eman no offense. I just don't view it in such a manner.
WHKeith said:
All of which leaves me wondering. How many people, throughout the course of the past 2000 years, have believed—sometimes passionately—in the Christian devil? Has that belief given life and energy to such a creature, either as a reflected facet of the human psyche, or as an externalized and manifested thought form?

Well, "thoughts are things", as I've often heard Ms. Browne say. In fact, shes pblished that there is something of a formless realm which these thoughts go. And, that sometimes these are the root of our nightmares. *shrugs* Could be...given some nightmares. ??????

Oh, forgive me for asking, before I forget, but...how old are you??? Over 60 novels??? Jeeze...

WHKeith said:
Yes, I’ve heard Christmas linked to the Saturnalia as well, though that festival took place over the course of a week or more, I believe. Mithra’s birthday was given as the 25th of December in connection with the winter solstice—which came a bit later a few thousand years ago than it does now. Of course, the Saturnalia ALSO was connected with the solstice, originally. My comment about spill-over from other religions was a generalized comment about the nature of the Christianization of Europe during the first few centuries C.E.

Then, where did you come by this theory? Which books expound about such a thing? I've never heard of this before...

WHKeith said:
The authorities had a lot of trouble making the local country-dwellers [i.e. “paganos”] give up their beloved festivals and mythologies which they’d been enjoying for thousands of years. The clever thing to do was to assimilate local beliefs and customs, giving them a Christian veneer. My favorites: St. Bridget, a transparently obvious reworking of the goddess Brigid; and the folklore surrounding the central-European fertility goddess Eostre, whence comes the word “Easter” and the various blatantly pagan emblems like rabbits, colored eggs, and new suits of clothing.

Again...preachin' to the choir, here. ;o)

WHKeith said:
Oops. As usual, I’ve rambled on way too long. Time to see about getting some work done.

Tell me about it! *G* And, I thought that I had the gift of gab! Heh heh heh...

WHKeith said:
Thanks for the discussion!

You're welcome? ;o)

Oh, and...I just thought I'd let you know about something I recently was told from a British Witch.

She had been visiting the Witchcraft Museum, with another Witch-friend, and the director kindly showed them the museum archives, which contain a lot of papers etc. donated at the death of Witches. Most of it has never been catalogued or published, and they were told that there was a great deal of disputed history that could be proved by the material.

Also, Ronald Hutton is going to be updating his history of the Craft soon; he went down to the Witchcraft museum in Boscastle last year and opened papers which the owner, Graham King, had inherited from Cecil Williamson, and had to radically re-think a few things. He has already published such an ammendment about The Craft's history (I am told), however, he is re-publishing "The Triumph of the Moon", based on this new research (which will be out in about 18 months).

Yet, one must realize, that...as much as I admire Ron., his research can be a bit "blind", for lack of a better word (although, he's a very warm man, and an utter joy to correspond with, very kind, et al.). There are still people around who worked with Gardner, but Hutton rejects much of their testimony, because there is no written documentation. According to his criteria, for example, I was never actually at a recent pagan festival & taught a class earlier this summer, even though I had my picture taken there, and several people saw me and attended the course. Because there was no written documentation, which is the key.

A couple other example about his rather "blind" way of viewing things can be found in his book "The Stations of the Sun" when he says that hge can find no evidennce for Lughnasadh as a pan-Celtic festival, or evidence for its widespread celebration in Britain. I uncovered a great deal of evidence in my researches for Lammas, though Llewellyn decided not to publish this chapter, citing it as 'too difficult for the reader'. So, when she can, she'll turn this into another book, when time allows. And the following link is a review of his book "The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles", where he mistranslated Cerridwen to mean "Crooked Woma", where Celtic Scholar, James Mackillop, who put his book before specialists in their respective Celtic language, has translated it (most correctly, due to his amount oif scholarly research) as coming from "gwen", which means "white, fair, or holy". In fact, I've found the following in my research, that it comes from: cerdd "song" + gwen "shining, holy"; or cariad "beloved" + gwen "shining, holy". Anyhoo...the site I was just previously speaking of is: http://www.suppressedhistories.net/articles/hutton_review.html[/COLOR]

Yeah, hopefully it'll stay rather light, due to something which happened on another board I belong to (a Wiccan board). A member joined, and started using soime bad language rather casually.

I assure you, it wouldn't happen here. :)

And WHKeith is quite right about the festival dates - just about every European culture has it major Winter Solstice ceremony. Mithraism was a peculiar form of Orientalism - very common among the legionaries, apparently, who were baptsised in an initiation ceremony involving standing in a pit while a bull was slaughtered above them.

Anyway, I'll try and get the specific Biblical references for you tomorrow.

I said:
I assure you, it wouldn't happen here. :)

Oh, thank goodness! Because, he was so mean, cruel, and vendicitve, and laughing about his behavior towards me! Why, I could tell you some other stories which would make your hair stand on end! For example (I'm relatively openly gay...I hope this doesn't bother anyone), and when I first got the Internet, I joined an E-List for gay pagans. Anyway, they were so cruel, so merciless, to me that I very nearly (for want of a better word) "converted" away from Wicca. Not only would they speak to me with VERY filthy language, but would mock,, and ridicule my beliefs, etc... In the cruelst way you can imagine. Anyway, I had told a friend about it, and it eventually got back to them, and I had found that they had said, in responce to me saying, "I'd almost converted away from The Craft" because of theuir cruel treatment, "We'll just have to try harder, next time!" They were insidious, and mean-spirited. *sigh* Anyhoo...they were on-line, on this E-Group or several years! When, suddenly, recently, the owner deleted the group, with only a week's warning! Well...as petty as this may sound, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled at this news! Sort of, because, they had treated me so horribly! However, I heard of no reason for this action. But, speculation has it that the owner may have become a Fundy. Xian. But, again, this is just speculation, with no way of varyifying it. I guess you could compare my elation to that felt by a victum after she sees his assailent get what they deserve. And, folks say that some form of Karma don't exiist. HAW! ;-) But...I digress...

I said:
And WHKeith is quite right about the festival dates - just about every European culture has it major Winter Solstice ceremony.

Yup! I know that most cultures have a feastival of lights, or celebration of the Solstice, however, have heard no definative evidence (by any scholrs that I am aware of, in my circle, anyhow) linking the Christ's birth with Mithra (however it's spelled). ;o)

Here's some results from Strong's online:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/1060890226-9595.html

I count 18 uses in the Old Testament, 14 of which are in the Book of Job, 1 in 1 Chronicles, 1 in Psalms and 2 in Zechariah.

(+ "Satan's" - Rev 2:13)

All the OT references translate through the Hebrew lexicon as:
1) adversary, one who withstands
a) adversary (in general - personal or national) 2) superhuman adversary a) Satan (as noun pr)

The New Testament references translate through the Greek as Satanas, which are apparently derived through the Aramaic Satan, which itself is supposed rooted in the Old Testament reference above.

However, as you can see, there has been more than a little intensive theological development from the Judaic beliefs.

Feel free to try out the original link to try out similar words, such as "Devil" and "Devils" and "Devil's".

Hope that helps.

As for specific questions - I think they became a little drowned out. :)

I am dismayed, WiccanWade, to hear of your treatment on that other board.

As Siege (another frequent poster to this forum and the friend who introduced me to this group) would tell you, the horrific treatment of gays on a CHRISTIAN board she recently posted on was part of what led her to leave it. Siege is not lesbian, but she IS passionately devoted to the right of all to worship, to believe, to think, and to express their sexuality in the manner that best suits them, a stand with which I heartily and sincerely agree. Usually, Wicca is more tolerant of divergent social and sexual views than is fundamentalist Christianity!

One of the things that attracted me most strongly to Wicca early on was the relatively relaxed sense of do your own thing. The Wiccan Rede, after all, stresses "an it harm none, do as you will." You and I might not agree on various aspects of the Goddess, her worship, or even her existence, but for most Wiccans that doesn't matter. I respect you and your beliefs, and expect, reasonably, the same from you.

In my experience, WIcca is generally EXTREMELY tolerant of gays and lesbians both. All four of the young men in the class I'm currently teaching on the Craft are gay, and one of the women is lesbian with a touch of bi. Two of the six men in my coven are openly gay, and a third only recently left to follow another spiritual path. It's a topic of occasional ribald good humor, but mocking or cruelty would NOT be tolerated, ever.

I am aware of various Pagan-gay/lesbian groups that are exclusively so, but usually that's more for reasons of the balance of the energies involved. Having worked in-circle with gay men many times, I can definitely say that their magical energy is quite different! Not bad, just different. Also, some Dianic circles include lesbian elements and deliberately exclude men; this usually has more to do with their need to address the historical imbalance of male-dominated forms of worship.

I'm so sorry you had that bad experience! Based on what I've seen, read, and experienced for myself, that kind of behavior within Wiccan groups is a definite exception, not the rule!

Ah, and a quick p.s. Brian is quite right that such behavior would not be tolerated here. I have been VERY pleased and gratified to see his vision here realized--of a forum where people of different religious or spiritual persuasions can meet and discuss diverse opinions, beliefs, and topics WITHOUT sectarian, bigoted, or hostile dogmaticism in exchanges of mutual tolerance, respect, and understanding.

And for that, thank you Brian!

WHKeith said:
I am dismayed, WiccanWade, to hear of your treatment on that other board.

Well, what this particular board did (other than that, frommy own experience, the actual relatively cruel message boards on-line foir pagans are Beliefnet.Com and DelphiForums!) was they moderated all of my messages, and allowed every member to openly attack me. Yet, would not allow me to respond to them. Yet, did not hold the other members by the same rules. So, I kindly E-Mailed the person who was attacking me. Who, in turn, reported me to the moderators, amnd was subsequantly banned. However, beforehand, they tore at my beliefs, mocking me and them, mercilessly. Now, I don't care who you are, that sort of behavior just doesn't fly!

Although...I id get a chuckle, in that the Owner of this particular Group, against the desires of the hundreds of members, deleted it! If this had happened toi you, too, I'm sure you would have been just as elated as I!

One pagan actually followed me to several groups, which culminated in her tearing me to shreads on-line, yet...if you'd ask her, she was only speaking "firmly". HA! There was nothing "firm" about it! She was acting cruel!

It shortly began after I had posted my "Recommended Reading List" on another Forum. She drudged up some very private things that she had uncovered about me...things that I do not recall ever meantioning about myself on any Wiccan or Pagan message board...private details! And, she uses them to defame my character, spouting them in a tone that leads others to suspect my very character! Even everything about my educatiuon she has, she says, personally checked up on!!! WTF?!?!?! What sort of person does this??? She even admitted to having personally contacted my old college professors, to check up on me!!!

What she found great fault with were my opinions after each title I recommended!!! Especially "Triumph Of The Moon", stating that I "haven't read the book" because I hadn't quoted from it in my opinion! Well, gee...I didn't think that one needs to quote from a book for it to be a valid opinion and review? At the end, she left off with, "Something stinks in your list..." She also said something which was an absolute lie! "A few months ago you didn't even know who the Farrars were and know you're recommending them?" at the time this occured, anyway. I don't know what her agenda is...but, it seems as though she is trying to shove me out of my beloved fporum by insiting the members against me!!! Sadly, however, it worked, as I haven't been back in more than 2 years due to her evil behavior!!!

She even made a crack at me, with, "Oh, and tantrums don't count" leaving all of the readers with the firm impression that all I'm going to be doing is throwing a fit!!! I swear to the Almighty Mother, there's NOTHING worse On-Line than a pseudo-inteligently-sounding-troll!!!

I still can't believe that she once ranted and raved about me publically for mispelling a word, making me look as though I had the IQ of a 3 year old! WHAT KIND OF PERSON DOES THAT?!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!? SHe just kept at it and would *not* let up!! And, she continues this relentless behavior, too!

She was also spouting about how she's been a "pagan witch for more than 20 years", and rthat everything I say is utter crap, and that she's saing what she is to preserve the Craft from the likes of me? Because, she "cares about the future of paganism." Whew...sorry for ranting about this. But, I have run into quite a lot of very cruel pagans on-line, which is a tragedy, really. Heck, at the time, I told someone what she'd said, and they saw it with their own eyes, and said that she was the problem with paganism, and called her a b***h, all of which she was, from this account, IMNSHO, however, she laughed at what everyone was saying about her, due to her own behavior. She should learn to pick to someone her own size! Heck, on another Group, she mocked me and the Gods I worship! Stating that the Gods I honour, and how I honour Them, or what I believe about them (based on my research) is laughable crap!

However, know that above all, my words cannot, simply, do the reality of actually going through all of this, ANY justice! It was much worse than my words can convey... Paganism doesn't need people like this, I have come to believe. *sigh*

WHKeith said:
Usually, Wicca is more tolerant of divergent social and sexual views than is fundamentalist Christianity!

True, a lot of Wicca is. But, not most of it. Meaning the very purist sort of Traditional Wiccans. Because, there is a great deal of homophobia in The Craft. Some will not perform a hand fasting for a same-sex couple, because there's a Goddess and God in the herios gamos, only! And, some of it also stems from Old Gerald, who was homophobic. But, him I can forgive, because of the era in which he grew up! But, you will find that this is often times still prevailant in many modern traditional craft Groups. Randy P. Conner, in his book "Blossom of Bone" relates the following account, when he attended a Neo-Pagan Circle in Austin, TX.:

"Shortly after I arrived, I overhjeard one of the men say that he didn't think homosexuals had any place in their Circle, as they didn't understand the importance of heterosexual love & the family in neopaganism; beyond this, homosexual acts were repulsive to him. When the man conversing with him agreed, and no one near by challenged him, I began to think I must be the only gay person in attendance. Normally, I would have spoken up to him, but not really being a part of the group, I felt it inappropriate to do so. Instead, I did the only thing I could think of; I asked the Circle's leader what he felt about homosexuality. Whewn he asked me why, I explained that one of the group's members had been making anti-gay remarks. He responded by ketting the man know that the Circle held no place for homophobia. The Circle's leader, as it turned out, had previously been a woman, had sexual reassignment surgery, and was now man."

Others even believe that two of the same gender cannot create a magick current, much like a battery, and would fizzle themselves out. Well, if this were true, than magick as a solitary practitionber would not work, and we know that this is far from true!

All of this is, however, antithetical to what we know of gay and lesbian history in our ancient past whenn we were revered as gifts of the gpds, and to harm one of us would be a self-imposed death sentence.

WHKeith said:
One of the things that attracted me most strongly to Wicca early on was the relatively relaxed sense of do your own thing. The Wiccan Rede, after all, stresses "an it harm none, do as you will."

I agree, to a point. Albeit I do not disagree with the Rede [saxon for "advice or copunsil"], because I believe that the true Will is to, actually, not cause malicious harm, and to avoid such cruelty or actually hjarming someone, whenever possible. Keeping in mind, also, that we as a species, are govorned by an act of self-preservation. Although, I do not believe that Wicca is a pick-and-mix religion, per se. Because I pull so much of my beliefs (albeit not all of them, fir sure) from Traditional Craft and Traditional Wicca. Although, some I just view as common sense. ;) Especially where The Gods are concerned. :cool:

WHKeith said:
In my experience, WIcca is generally EXTREMELY tolerant of gays and lesbians both. All four of the young men in the class I'm currently teaching on the Craft are gay, and one of the women is lesbian with a touch of bi. Two of the six men in my coven are openly gay, and a third only recently left to follow another spiritual path. It's a topic of occasional ribald good humor, but mocking or cruelty would NOT be tolerated, ever.

Wonderful! And, one thing which never made sense to me is that, according to Traditional Wicca, in liue of a Piest, a Priestess is able to strap on a sword and parade around as HPs for a day! Yet...the same of a priest would be unheard of. Mewaning, he cannot take the place of the priestess. And, while 2 priestesses may stand side-by-side in a coven in case of an odd numbered gathering, 2 men are never allowed to do similarly. I've never agreed with this. Also, all gay, or all lesbian (or all one gendered) covens is, actually, purely a U.S. invention, according to the Farrars. How interesting! I was unaware that it was a U.S. "thing".

WHKeith said:
Having worked in-circle with gay men many times, I can definitely say that their magical energy is quite different!

Really? HOw fascinating! How so... I, personally, enjoy doing the solitary thing, myself. And, have no desire, for the forseeable future, to join (or start) any coven. Although, I would like to start an all-gay male coven, if at all possible- one day!

WHKeith said:
Not bad, just different.

I never assumed you meant anything bad by it. ;)

WHKeith said:
Also, some Dianic circles include lesbian elements and deliberately exclude men; this usually has more to do with their need to address the historical imbalance of male-dominated forms of worship.

Very true!

WHKeith said:
I'm so sorry you had that bad experience! Based on what I've seen, read, and experienced for myself, that kind of behavior within Wiccan groups is a definite exception, not the rule!

Well, they weren't even Wiccan. They were non-Wiccan pagans. I've only very rarely experienced the same sort of cruelty from actual Wiccans! Oh, and I thought I'd send a long a list of some wonderful books which every gay Witch ought to have in his library!

* "Blossom of Bone", by Randy P. Conner
* "Cassell's Encycloipedia of Queer Myth, Symbol & Spirit"
* "A Gay Men's Myth Book", by Will Roscoe (a gay anthropologist! However, ya' know those pagans whom lambasted me about Mystery Hill? Well, they did the same thing for taking Will seriously, for anything! According to them, nothing he publishes should be believed, simply because he IS gay! Because of their behavior, I'm tempted to feel that they are fairly homophobic!)
* "Witchcraft & The Gay Counterculture", by Arthur Evans
* "Another Mother Tongue", by Judy Granh (an excellent book!)
* "Gay Witchcraft", by Christopher Penczak (the author thanked me, personally, in his acknowledgements!)

I have a few others, but cannot think of them off the top of my head, because my library's a little messy, now. :D

We have Zoroastrism to thank for the first real "Satan" concept and without Zoroastrism a lot of mainstream religions as we know them simply would not exsist today.... The first evidence of the belief of/in the Satan concept can be found in the text of the Rabis of the Hebrew after their exposure to Zoroastrism.

Hi ladyphlegethon - and welcome to comparative-religon.com!

Certainly I'm under the impression that Zoroastrianism was feeding Mithraism, which in itself really spread and populised the ideas across Europe.

Interesting that you appear to link the idea moving into Judaism during the Babylonian captivity - am I right there? Certainly a very formative period, especially in consideration of the "Document's Hypothesis" (aka "Redaction Theory"), of which we have a specific article on this site here. :)

Good day. I am totally new to your community. I sense that it's a very scholarly and (mostly) civilized place. Blessings to all. In this thread I hve no scholarship or history to add -- only what makes sense for me in my Christian faith. [That was your signal to scroll down or click out Christian perspective] Satan or the Devil is in no way a diety to me or anyone I know. Satan or the Devil is a being - once angelic in nature - whose surrender to his own darkness (fear, anger, pride, arrogance, rage, intolerance, selfishness) led him to make a god of himself and reject his, and our, Creator. How is this useful to me? The real and practical existence of the evil one is a lightening rod, I suppose, or a point of clarity around which I might begin to understand the possibility of unspeakable evil in the world; something we have plenty of. Oddly, I don't think my Christian friends or the Christian mainstream really believes in the devil. My experience is a kind of "squishy," New-Agey, Christianity that posits "I'm O.K. and You're O.K." and talk of the devil implies the existence of Hell. I find most of my Christian brethren uncomfortable with the notion of Hell. Quite honestly, I find this baffling. I cannot embrace the notion of Redemption without it, although some apparently can. Anyway, God bless you all.

dhisbrook

http://spiritualprogress.blogspot.com

Back