The Lost World

okieinexile

Reaction score
The Lost World

By Bobby Neal Winters

I just got back from a mathematical conference in Fayetteville, Arkansas. My predominant memory of the trip is the smell of the honeysuckles. Their sweet scent filled the air everywhere I went.

Honeysuckle is most noticeable with the air is warm. The sun heats the flower and causes chemicals to evaporate that are meant to go seeking bees so that they will come and find the nectar. While the bees are there, they rub against the pollen, get it on them, and then take it to the next flower. It is all part of a vast conspiracy to propagate life, and the fact that honeysuckle smells good to me is tangential to this basic process, although I am careful not to mow down the vines I find in my yard. Perhaps I am part of the conspiracy too.

Read the full story at:
http://morningsun.net/stories/052405/lif_20050524006.shtml

Last edited:
Hi, Bobby--

I have been looking around on the Morning Sun site and the various links from there. As soon as I have a few minutes, I think I will sign up! I enjoy writing, too--although at the moment, I am a little bogged down in an "editing" job.

I just wanted to tell you that I have been to Fayetteville many times, and I, too, have a soft spot for those lovely, invasive honeysuckles--my folks came from north central Arkansas, and I used to spend hours eating honeysuckles with my dad. (I have also been to--or more like through-- Ada many times.) And years ago, The United Methodist Reporter published some poetry of mine. I just thought I would drop you a line, since we seem to have some things in common.

I'll catch more of your writing real soon.

InPeace,
InLove

Back