Confirmations

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a fellowship thread where we can share confirmations of the Spirit moving in our lives. I'm motivated by one such experience I had just this morning, you know, not the earth shattering type but the quiet reminders that God loves us and we are in His care.

I've been quite tempted lately to indulge in something that I know could be spiritually harmful (now don't think the worst of me just because I won't disclose what that might be here; you wouldn't find it all that interesting, I assure you :) ). In fact, the temptation has been growing stronger and stronger and this morning as I took my daughter to school in the car it was all I could think about and in fact I had pretty much decided to damn the torpedos and go full speed ahead.

And just as I was making this decision to stick my nose in where it does not belong, the Beatles came on the radio:

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

Let it be, let it be, .....

Do I think God made this song come on the radio just to warn me to "let it be..."? No, but the Spirit prepared my heart to listen and do what I know is right. And for that I am thankful.

peace,
lunamoth

Hi, and Peace!

Similar experience coming right up...

I can be a terrible procrastinater--not because I am lazy, but sometimes I am insecure about decisions. (Okay, I'm afraid.) For a few years now, I have been putting off making a decision, and re-visiting a place where I know there is a great opportunity for me to accomplish some things I know God has put in my heart. It will require a great deal of dedication on my part. I knew once I seriously took this step, there really could be no backing out.

One morning last month, I took that first serious step, and headed out to this place. On the way there, I turned on my radio. I had never heard the song that was playing, and I have not heard it since, but the words went something like, "I've been waiting right here all this time for you to come back home."

Isn't music great sometimes?:) (Turn your radio on....)

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
Hi, and Peace!

Similar experience coming right up...

I can be a terrible procrastinater--not because I am lazy, but sometimes I am insecure about decisions. (Okay, I'm afraid.) For a few years now, I have been putting off making a decision, and re-visiting a place where I know there is a great opportunity for me to accomplish some things I know God has put in my heart. It will require a great deal of dedication on my part. I knew once I seriously took this step, there really could be no backing out.

One morning last month, I took that first serious step, and headed out to this place. On the way there, I turned on my radio. I had never heard the song that was playing, and I have not heard it since, but the words went something like, "I've been waiting right here all this time for you to come back home."

Isn't music great sometimes?:) (Turn your radio on....)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi InLove,

Yes, music is great. I am totally music challenged with respect to singing or playing an instrument, but that doesn't keep me from being transported by a song. Actually, learning to play the guitar is on my list of things to do before I die, and I hope to start lessons this Sept when my elder daughter starts shcool. Wish me luck!

It's when we're teetering on the fence that the Spirit has a chance to help us. Just when you think you can go either way She can give you that nudge in the right direction.

peace,
lunamoth

My Gran died on sunday and when we were in visting her a couple of days before she died at this point she was getting a bit deliorous seeing things and saying some funny things out of character - but she kept singing Jesus loves me this I know because the Bible tells me so.... and " shall we gather by the river"

this confirmed to me how much God loves us I then went home and listened to this link below (I understand we are not ment to link to other things but this will bring a tear to your eye so I will take the risk of getting a warning)

hope you enjoy it
http://www.andiesisle.com/viadolorosa-flash.html

your brother in Christ
Stephen

Hi, Peace!

Thanks, mynameisstephen--I have always loved that song--the visuals are beautiful. Sending that one out to some friends...

(You are right, it did bring a tear:) )

InPeace,
InLove

mynameisstephen said:
My Gran died on sunday and when we were in visting her a couple of days before she died at this point she was getting a bit deliorous seeing things and saying some funny things out of character - but she kept singing Jesus loves me this I know because the Bible tells me so.... and " shall we gather by the river"

this confirmed to me how much God loves us I then went home and listened to this link below (I understand we are not ment to link to other things but this will bring a tear to your eye so I will take the risk of getting a warning)

hope you enjoy it
http://www.andiesisle.com/viadolorosa-flash.html

your brother in Christ
Stephen

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for that link (I don't think things like this are against the COC, just promo links and links to sites that are just for prosyletizing or bashing other religions, but maybe I'm wrong). Anyway, it is beautiful, and (as hard as it is to see our loved ones delirious) what a gift to be there as your Gran looked into the Kingdom. Peace to you and your family.

lunamoth/laurie

Stephen,

Wanted to add my thanks for putting out the link, and my condolences. I know from experience it is hard to lose our loved ones, but I also know it must be a great comfort to know she had faith and is in the company of God.

Peace to you,
Kim

I wanted to share a recent conversation I had with my sister-in-law, and I was very grateful that I felt the Spirit was working through her in speaking with me. We were discussing going to church, and I expressed how I was really quite frustrated in my search for a church and so I hadn't been anywhere in quite some time. I looked for a church for a few years, and I just never found one where I felt connected to God. I had gone for quite awhile to a particular church, but ultimately they were a bit fundamental for me and it just wasn't a good fit. I often felt kind of frazzled emotionally there, like it was a very charged atmosphere and not very peaceful. Maybe that works for some people, but I tend to feel more peace and calm when I feel the Presence of God, or sometimes joy, but not... frazzled- like I was on the crest of a wave of a big anxious, excited hum. Anyway, what finally did it was a series of sermons preaching against scientists and how you weren't really Christian if you didn't believe in a literal six-day creation and so forth, as well as not-so-subtle condemnations of some of my more liberal political views. It was just not the place for me. I felt like I was always trying to be someone I wasn't when in Bible study or church, to force myself to believe doctrine that didn't sit well with me, and no doubt I made people uncomfortable. So I left, and bounced around a little, and then settled on worshipping God on my own.

At any rate, it came to pass that I was talking with my sister-in-law, and she gave me a remarkable perspective that, for some reason, I had just never considered. I was explaining to her that I didn't really attend church anymore, because I didn't feel connected to God there. I felt more connected in solitude of prayer, or in going out into nature to worship and praise. She said... "Well, I feel most connected to God when I'm cleaning and gardening." And I asked her why she continued to go to church, if it was not to feel in the Presence of God... was it for the sermons? The fellowship? She said, "Oh, those things are nice. But it's really about discipline- about doing something for God. It's about adding my voice to a church whose principles, values, and beliefs are also something I agree with. It's taking a stand in society, in a way."

Wow. And duh. I'd never thought about it that way.

I was searching for a church to meet my desires. I was looking for a church by trying out different ones somewhat randomly- because I'd heard their worship/praise music sessions were inspiring, or their sermons helpful. I never thought about finding a denomination that I could agree with (at least mostly), that supported what is dear to my heart, like peace and conservation and human rights, and then going to be supportive, to add my voice and try to be of service. To be open to fellowship and learning and being connected to God, yes, but not expecting it.

Then I remembered this old local church- the first one I ever took Eucharist in, as a child. I'd been there a few times since, and I always agreed with its messages, but its services were formal and very traditional (not exactly "me"). But I felt drawn to it a bit, and I did some research on the denomination, and I found principles and beliefs with which I could agree, at least in my own way. I went on Sunday for the first time since Christmas. (I celebrated Easter by hiking into the forest and praising God.) For once, I didn't feel so out of place at church. And I felt more of the mystery of God. The sermon was inspiring. And though I didn't feel any of the mysticism I do out in nature, alone, I felt peaceful and still, and the deep history of faith in Christianity. I felt refreshed.

I'm very grateful that the Holy Spirit worked through my sister and brought me to this place. You just never know where a loving conversation will lead you...

Thanks for that, path of one. Actually, I feel a lot like your sister in law in that I feel close to God while cleaning and gardening. Baha'i teaches that all work done in the spirit of service and love and to the best of our abilities is considered worship, and as Christians we look forward to the day when every action truely will be an expression of our love and praise of God, as it was in the Garden. We get glimmers of it now and will live it fully in His Time.

I'm being light-heartedly sincere when I say that when I go to scrub the toilets I'm going to worship!

peace,
lunamoth

Okay, Luna--you make me post!

There is a great quote by Gandhi where he mentions scrubbing toilets--I keep finding it and losing it again. (Apparently, it was one of the things he said that just somehow does not wind up in the annals of "great quotes")
Anyway, if you ever run across it, let me know--I will put it into Word and print it out, once and for all.:)

It goes something like this: "When you are doing it, scrubbing the toilet is the most important thing." LOL--I know that is not exactly word-for-word--let's face it, Ghandi-ji had a way with words, and if I do not quote it the way he said it, then something or other gets lost. Anyway, I remember his Spirit.

Have fun--life is a bowl of cherries--oh...what did Erma Bombeck say?

:)

InPeace,
InLove

i believe in confirmations. sometimes we have to wait for them & sometimes we may miss them. & have to go back to it.
they that wait upon the Lord shall renew there strength, they shall mount up wioth wings like eagles, they shall run & not be weary, walk & not faint.
sometimes i wonder, if the temptation is there & we are supposed to eat of it, so that we know for sure it is not the real thing. so when it comes around again we can say "get thee behind me satan.'

just a thought.

i also believe in slamming the torpedos full speed ahaead because it is just too much fun:D . i have just learned when & where to get away with it, not really reccomending it.

one i like is the sound of silence. it kind of goes with, Let it be.

mynameisstephen said:
...this confirmed to me how much God loves us I then went home and listened to this link below (I understand we are not ment to link to other things but this will bring a tear to your eye so I will take the risk of getting a warning)

your brother in Christ
Stephen
That was perfectly fine. You were telling a story with music and pictures, in line with other stories and scripture pointed out in this forum. That isn't against COC at all. In fact it was lovely. (eh, can a guy say that?) :(

v/r

The Constable (LOL) :D

Sorry to hear about your loss Stephen:( The song Let it Be has played a significant roll in my life. I can remember at age 9 sitting all day waiting for the song to come up on the AM transistor radio. As I grew older the song would happen to come up at the right time telling me to leave it alone, which I saw as a message from God to stop and Let it Be. I love the British voice and the language sounds like a song to me when it is spoken and I enjoyed my trip a few years back to both Scotland and London. Today, I will grab my Guitar and sing Let it Be to my eight year old while he is falling to sleep and as I have a deep attachment to all of the Beatles and their solo work Let it Be will always have a special meaning to me and it comes up a lot at the right time. I asked my boy what to wanted to do last night and he said music and went and put Paul McCartney on. The Cats in the Cradle...:) tommy

Back