where can i get a Qu'ran?

Chezz

Established Member
Reaction score
peace be to you!

where would i be able to get a Qu'ran maybe in english, i live in canada.

Chezz said:
peace be to you!

where would i be able to get a Qu'ran maybe in english, i live in canada.
Dalton Books, or Barnes and Noble, Amazon...such as these. I suggest you ask for the second edition. One was given to me by a God fearing person, who wanted me to understand the "truth".

v/r

Q

It's worth noting that there are different interpretations in English, all with varying reputations.

The one I have is by Arthur J Arberry - though I can't recall whether I got it on recommendation, or simply because it was the most available at the time. Had no problem reading it, and the first sura maintains it's shock and awe.

I said:
It's worth noting that there are different interpretations in English, all with varying reputations.

The one I have is by Arthur J Arberry - though I can't recall whether I got it on recommendation, or simply because it was the most available at the time. Had no problem reading it, and the first sura maintains it's shock and awe.
Never read Arberry's translation... As far as I know, he is a non-muslim.
The most known are by Yusuf Ali, Pickthall and Shakir. A more recent one and, moreover, done in modern english which is becoming popular was by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan.
Hope this helped.
And Allah knows best.

Thanks for that, thipps. :)

Certainly in translation of any non-english text to English, there are variations in the quality of the translation itself - especially according as to how much the translator understood the semantics of the wording.

I have some other translations, and I am no expert, but I have the one by Pickthall and Shakir. Is it reliable?

InPeace,
InLove

As with the Bible, the best translation is... several translations. Sometimes one translation is better for a verse and bad for another one.

InLove said:
I have some other translations, and I am no expert, but I have the one by Pickthall and Shakir. Is it reliable?

InPeace,
InLove
h| InLove,
"reliable" is a subective word. Let me make one thing clear. Muslims do not consider a translation of the Quran as the Word of God. Translations are done by people and people can make mistakes.
When I said that Pickthall and Shakir are known translations,I meant known and used among muslims & are considered reliable enough. I have all the four translations I mentioned. But as always, when in doubt about the translation, we go back to the arabic text.

Hi

Anybody heard of Thomas Cleary translation ?? Some guys on the net told me its very good for readers from the west . I never read it though

hello/salam

i like yosef ali best. nice sounding poetical translation and very good footnotes.

Several translations are indeed best. Chezz let me know if you can't afford to buy one & I'll keep an eye out for one I can send you.

Kiwimac

ive tryed chapters they had none, would they be some what expensive because they are (rare?) prestegeouse.

Chezz said:
ive tryed chapters they had none, would they be some what expensive because they are (rare?) prestegeouse.

Just checked Chapters on-line (www.chapters.com - which ends up as chapters.indigo.ca). They've got at least 6 different versions, running from $8 to $30, depending on the publisher (Penguin & Bantam being at the low end). I know the Chapters at Bloor West Village in Toronto had a few in stock when I was up there last (can't see a book store without going in, myself, and I was checking out the religion section to see if there was anything that had to come home with me :))

... Bruce

Helo there,

Yusef Ali provides a excelent translation in my opinion......you but remember that a translation is not the actual Al-Quran for the Al-Qurans verses have not been changed since revalation Alhamduilah:) if you are still finding it hard to get a translation of the Al-Quran then why don't you start reading in the meanwhile as i think you can download translated surahs possibly the entire Al-Quran through this easy link here> http://www.islamtomorrow.com/downloads/index.asp
I hope that helps:) the first translation i read was done by N.J.Dawood but it has very few footnotes and has a few minor mistakes in translation that i've picked up......but all in all for a first read its not bad i think he is a jewish man and the surahs are aranged like a novel so it's plesant to read.......All the best.......Staffy

Hello/Salaams,

This is my first post.

The Closest authentic transalation of the Qura'n is by 'saheeh international'.. this version is the closest, not exact though.

Pickthall's is really beautiful, Yusuf Alli's footnotes are excellent..

But as staffy says, no one can transalate the Quran from Arabic, perfectly.. there are bound to be errors.. this is true.

Best way to understand the Quran, is to learn Arabic!.. :)

Back