Afterlife in Baha'ism

Silverbackman

Prince Of Truth
Reaction score
Right now I think I am baha'i in many ways, however I do not think the religion is exactly fits my belief. However seeing how similar my afterlife is compared to baha'is will tell me.

What do Baha' believe the afterlife life will be? I know they believe they enter some spiritual world but that is all I know.

My belief is when you die you either go to a heaven or hell expelling the postive or negative karma for a limited amount of time, and then you spirit or soul will be reincarnated back on Earth.

Silverbackman said:
Right now I think I am baha'i in many ways, however I do not think the religion is exactly fits my belief. However seeing how similar my afterlife is compared to baha'is will tell me.

What do Baha' believe the afterlife life will be? I know they believe they enter some spiritual world but that is all I know.

My belief is when you die you either go to a heaven or hell expelling the postive or negative karma for a limited amount of time, and then you spirit or soul will be reincarnated back on Earth.

Here are some brief excerpts of the Baha'i view on the subject:

The Purpose of Our Life on Earth

"Therefore in this world he (man) must prepare himself for the life beyond. That which he needs in the world of the Kingdom must be obtained here...The world beyond is a world of sanctity and radiance; therefore it is necessary that in this world he should acquire these divine attributes. In that world there is need of spirituality, faith, assurance, the knowledge and love of God. These he must attain in this world so that after his ascension from the earthly to the heavenly Kingdom he shall find all that is needful in that life eternal waiting for him. By what means can man acquire these things? How shall he obtain these merciful gifts and powers? First, through the knowledge of God. Second, through the love of God. Third, through faith. Fourth, through philanthropic deeds. Fifth, through self-sacrifice. Sixth, through severance from this world. Seventh, through sanctity and holiness."

Life in the Next World

"The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother."

"The difference and distinction between men will naturally become realised after their departure from this mortal world. But this distinction is not in respect to place, but in respect to the soul and conscience. For the Kingdom of God is sanctified (or free) from time and place; it is another world and another universe."

"As to the soul of man after death, it remains in the degree of purity to which it has evolved during life in the physical body, and after it is freed from the body it remains plunged in the ocean of God's mercy."

"The progress of man's spirit in the divine world... is through the bounty and grace of the Lord alone, or through the intercession and the sincere prayers of other human souls, or through the charities and important good works which are performed in its name."

"The rewards of the other world are peace, the spiritual graces, the various spiritual gifts in the Kingdom of God, the gaining of the desires of the heart and soul, and the meeting of God in the world of eternity. In the same way the punishments of the other world, that is to say, the torments of the other world, consist in being deprived of the special divine blessings and the absolute bounties, and falling into the lowest degrees of existence. He who is deprived of these divine favours, though he continues after death, is considered as dead by the people of truth."

Source:

http://bahai-library.com/?file=warwick_life_soul

Regarding reincarnation...see the following:

http://www.bahai-library.com/writings/abdulbaha/saq/81.html

some more quotes -

"Thou hast , moreover, asked Me concerning the state of the soul after its separation from the body. Know thou, of a truth, that if the soul of man hath walked in the ways of God, it will, assuredly, return and be gathered to the glory of the Beloved. By the righteousness of God! It shall attain a station such as no pen can depict, or tongue describe. The soul that hath remained faithful to the Cause of God, and stood unwaveringly firm in His Path shall, after his ascension, be possessed of such power that all the worlds which the Almighty hath created can benefit through him. Such a soul provideth, at the bidding of the Ideal King and Divine Educator, the pure leaven that leaveneth the world of being, and furnisheth the power through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest. Consider how meal needeth leaven to be leavened with. Those souls that are the symbols of detachment are the leaven of the world. Meditate on this, and be of the thankful."

And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. ...Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, and entereth the all-highest Paradise. The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds. ...The light which these souls radiate is responsible for the progress of the world and the advancement of its peoples. They are like unto leaven which leaveneth the world of being, and constitute the animating force through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest. Through them the clouds rain their bounty upon men, and the earth bringeth forth its fruits. All things must needs have a cause, a motive power, an animating principle. These souls and symbols of detachment have provided, and will continue to provide, the supreme moving impulse in the world of being...."

as to the topic of Return... next post

Greetings, Silver; good to hear from you again! :)

First off, FYI the correct term is the Baha'i Faith. Baha'ism is considered a malaprop.

I see some of the major passages have already been quoted to you by others, so I'll just offer a few additional comments....

Everyone proceeds on to the Next Life, but our situation there is a direct consequence of the choices we've made in this life.

Those who have chosen well and grown spiritually here and now will find themselves spiritually close to God (what we define as "Heaven").

Those who have neglected their spiritual development here--or worse, have ignored and violated the laws of God--will find themselves more or less spiritually removed from God (our definition of "hell").

During this life, we have free will and make our own choices/determine our own path. In the Next Life, free will is diminished, and while every one of us will continue to progress spiritually and draw ever nearer to God, even those who are initially remote, this is through God's mercy and His will, not our own.

The Baha'i scriptures, BTW, explicitly reject reincarnation and explain in detail why (this is in 'Some Answered Questions"). We're only here once, and then the Next Life is eternal.

We are also told that our prayers can assist those in the Next Life, just as theirs can assist us.

We don't have many further details about the Next Life, but our scriptures do assure us of this much.

Best, :)

Bruce

Silverbackman said:

On the question of "a limited amount of time"...

"It is even possible that the condition of those who have died in sin and unbelief may become changed—that is to say, they may become the object of pardon through the bounty of God, not through His justice—for bounty is giving without desert, and justice is giving what is deserved. As we have power to pray for these souls here, so likewise we shall possess the same power in the other world, which is the Kingdom of God. Are not all the people in that world the creatures of God? Therefore, in that world also they can make progress. As here they can receive light by their supplications, there also they can plead for forgiveness and receive light through entreaties and supplications. Thus as souls in this world, through the help of the supplications, the entreaties and the prayers of the holy ones, can acquire development, so is it the same after death. Through their own prayers and supplications they can also progress, more especially when they are the object of the intercession of the Holy Manifestations."

Now about reincarnation, but perhaps it could be called Return - the theme of Return....

" "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." (Matt. 12:12-14) Second, "And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come? And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them." (Matt. 17:12)

Now if John would have known who he was and would not have lied about it, how much more would Jesus have known and related it truthfully. This might leave us in a quandary if not for a final critical piece of the puzzle, found in Luke 1:17, where an angel appears to Zacharias, John's father, to inform him that his prayers for a child were to be answered. Speaking of the child that would be born to Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth, the angel says, echoing the words of the prophecy in Malachi, "And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

We experience a collective "AH-HA!" at this point, understanding that it was not the person of Elias that returned, but the spirit and power of Elias that returned. When John denied being Elias, he spoke the truth, for he was John, not Elias. When Jesus affirmed that John was Elias, He likewise spoke the truth, a spiritual truth. "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." This is what the Bible says "return" means, not the physical return of the same prophet, but the return of the qualities and attributes, the "spirit and power" of the previous prophet. This is the same sense in which we speak of the season of Spring returning. When Spring returns, it is of course a different year than the last Spring. The world isn't quite the same and events don't transpire the same way. We aren't reliving the previous Spring. Yet the qualities we associate with springtime are everywhere in evidence. So this is what "return" means."

And as there is a Return of the Prophet there, so there is a return of circumstances, people opposing the Prophet, and so on. Every station and condition in life can be held by the next generation and generations forever.

Leaping back to the topic of reincarnation - we each have specific conditions and circumstances and relationships, and yet everyone has them in one form or another. We don't come back but people can live in the same roles, with similar enough circumstances, to be a return like us.

So no - specifically Baha'is do not believe a soul once living comes back to live again on Earth. But there are similar ideas.

Back