The Spiritual Reality of Baha'i Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondsouled

Reaction score
Howdy,

Baha'u'llah had this to say about being a person of Baha':

Every receptive soul who hath in this Day inhaled the fragrance of His garment and hath, with a pure heart, set his face towards the all-glorious Horizon is reckoned among the people of Baha in the Crimson Book. Grasp ye, in My Name, the chalice of My loving-kindness, drink then your fill in My glorious and wondrous remembrance.

(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 220)

There is no mention here of a administerial body that a person of Baha' needs turn their face to.

As Shoghi Effendi clearly spelt out the administration of the Baha'i Faith is to be conceived of as an instrument, a tool , a means, not an end in itself:

"I need not dwell upon what I have already reiterated and emphasized that the administration of the Cause is to be conceived as an instrument and not a substitute for the Faith of Bahá'u'lláh, that it should be regarded as a channel through which His promised blessings may flow, that it should guard against such rigidity as would clog and fetter the liberating forces released by His Revelation."

(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 9)

"It is surely for those to whose hands so priceless a heritage has been committed to prayerfully watch lest the tool should supersede the Faith itself, lest undue concern for the minute details arising from the administration of the Cause obscure the vision of its promoters, lest partiality, ambition, and worldliness tend in the course of time to becloud the radiance, stain the purity, and impair the effectiveness of the Faith of Bahá'u'lláh."

(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 9)

Abdu'l-Baha' often spoke of the fact that a person could be a Baha'i and have not even heard of Baha'u'llah. In doing this I believe He was pointing to the spiritual reality of being a Baha'i. Being a Baha'i at heart is more than putting one's thumb print or signature on a piece of paper.

If a person truly regards all of humanity as being 'as soul' with themselves, if you are a Buddhist and regard all of humanity as one, even if the soul aspect is not a part of it, then I would say that under Baha'u'llah's understanding you have fulfilled the purpose for all scripture, the purpose for all religion. This identity transcends Baha'iness or Buddhistness, it transcends all names.

As I stated in another post the Baha'i Administrative Order has rendered Baha'i membership meaningless. Howso? Through counting over two million individuals in India who still consider themselves to be Hindu as Baha'is, through counting hundreds of thousands of individuals in the West as Baha'i even though they have had no active addresses for those individuals for several years and those individuals would be unlikely to answer that they are Baha'i on a census.

Abdu'l-Baha' well understood the spiritual reality of Baha'i identity:

"Know this; the Kingdom of God is not in any Society; some seekers go through many Societies as a traveller goes through many cities till he reach his destination. If you belong to a Society already do not forsake your brothers. You can be a Bahá'í-Christian, a Bahá'í-Freemason, a Bahá'í-Jew, a Bahá'í-Muhammadan. The number nine contains eight, and seven, and all the other numbers, and does not deny any of them. Do not distress or deny anyone by saying 'He is not a Bahá'í!' He will be known by his deeds. There are no secrets among Bahá'ís; a Bahá'í does not hide anything."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 97)

" He will be known by his deeds. "

It is through a persons character and behavior that their spiritual identity can be seen. A persons professed beliefs do not distinguish them spiritually what does distinguish them are their actions, their words, their deeds.

If a person accepts the reality of the oneness of humanity and lives in a manner befitting that truth they are of the people of Baha' in both Baha'u'llah's and Abdu'l-Baha's eyes.

The inclusivity of belief in the oneness of humanity makes all distinctions drawn through race, ethnicity, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, as well as religious or philosophical interpretation, fall away. This is the most great unity. That unity which transcends all lesser unities of self interests, even the lesser unity of the self interests of the Baha'i Faith.

This is the spiritual reality of Baha'i identity.

There is only us, we are them, 'as one soul'

Yours

Larry Rowe

L>Baha'u'llah had this to say about being a person of Baha':

L>There is no mention here of a administerial body that a person of Baha' needs turn their face to.

Clearly not!

And how convenient it all is when you simply ignore all the OTHER places where Baha'u'llah spoke of the Baha'i Administrative Order! Who do you think FOUNDED it (and in particular, the House of Justice), anyway?!

Can you say "Quote out of context?"

I knew you could! :-(

There is no lie so effective as half of the truth.

Bruce

Dear Bruce,

When I use the Teachings to help make a point I am applying those Teaching which advise us to use Them in this manner.

When I speak of Baha'i Identity it is drawn from those Teachings, the actual Words of Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l-Baha'.

When I speak of the most great unity, that unity which transcends all lesser unities of self interests it is from Abdu'l-Baha's Own Words which I speak:

"The unity which is productive of unlimited results is first a unity of mankind which recognizes that all are sheltered beneath the overshadowing glory of the All-Glorious; that all are servants of one God; for all breathe the same atmosphere, live upon the same earth, move beneath the same heavens, receive effulgence from the same sun and are under the protection of one God. This is the most great unity, and its results are lasting if humanity adheres to it; but mankind has hitherto violated it, adhering to sectarian or other limited unities such as racial, patriotic or unity of self-interests; therefore no great results have been forthcoming."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 257)

That I believe the Baha'i Faith, in it's current state of adminocentrism and superstructure fixation, will have no great results is as a result of Abdu'l-Baha's above Words.

I believe in both Baha'u'llah's and Abdu'l-Baha' Teachings to do with God's Universality. I believe that unless we adhere to and apply those Universal Teachings, principally Baha'u'llah's Teaching of the oneness of humanity, the Baha'i Faith will continue to have "no great results".

Shoghi Effendi himself referred to Baha'u'llah's Teaching of the oneness of humanity as:

"the pivotal principle and fundamental doctrine of the Faith"

(Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, p. 281)

"The principle of the Oneness of Mankind -- the pivot round which all the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh revolve...."

(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 42)

Thus without the Baha'i Administrative Order and specifically the Universal House of Justice exemplifing this pivotal Teaching of Baha'u'llah's within It's Own community and showing to the world that they are actually willing to adhere to and apply this fundamental Teaching of Baha'u'llah's the Baha'i Faith has nothing to share with the rest of the world and will continue to have "no great results'.

In showing to the rest of the world that it is willing to draw imaginary lines, that it is willing to reinstate divisive religious practices that Baha'u'llah's Himself removed, the Universal House of Justice has shown that the Baha'i Faith is simply one lesser unity amongst many others.

I believe that Baha'i Identity transcends this worldly and earthly limitation which has been imposed on the Baha'i Faith through the lack of leadership shown by the Universal House of Justice. Not only a lack of leadership but leadership which has lead the Baha'i Faith away from God's Universality and towards the early limitation of lesser unity.

That I believe this to be true is based on the Teachings Themselves which I have for some 47 years made a guide for my life and spiritual identity.

I truly believe as Baha'u'llah Himself stated that the purpose for all scripture is that we all begin to regard one another 'as one soul '. Until Baha'is including Their Institutions begin to show that they are willing to apply this principle and treat their fellow coreligionists in a manner which is befitting of this truth they have nothing whatsoever to be an example of for the rest of humanity.

There is only us, we are them, 'as one soul'.

Yours

Larry

"If any man were to meditate on that which the Scriptures, sent down from the heaven of God's holy Will, have revealed, he would readily recognize that their purpose is that all men shall be regarded as one soul, so that the seal bearing the words "The Kingdom shall be God's" may be stamped on every heart, and the light of Divine bounty, of grace, and mercy may envelop all mankind."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 260)

L>When I speak of Baha'i Identity it is drawn from those Teachings, the actual Words of Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l-Baha.

Sigh. Yet another falsehood. :-(

YOU are the one who was referring to "liberal and conservative" Baha'is, clearly discredited terminology employed only by enemies of the Faith. If you were "drawing your material from the Baha'i teachings, you would never use such ridiculous, grossly false and misleading terms.

End of conversation.

Bruce

As diamonsouled is no longer able to reply on this board, I think I may as well close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back