Is the Book of Revelation Inspired

I

InChristAlways

This is my first post here and one book that interest me in the Bible is Revelation [in conjunction with the book of Daniel].
Are there religions here outside of Christianity that view that book as inspired by God or that refer to it in anyway? Thanks.

The Son of Man:

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said to them, `Destroy this sanctuary, and in three days I will raise it up.'

Luke 18:31 Then He took the twelve aside and said toward them, "Behold!!, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things having been written through the prophets about the Son of the Man shall be being accomplished.[#5055] telesqhsetai <5055> (5701)

John 19:30
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished! [#5055]" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

Revelation 1:[size=+2] 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands [One] like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair [were] white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire;..... [/size]18 and he who is living, and I did become dead, and, lo, I am living to the ages of the ages. Amen! and I have the keys of the hades and of the death.

The Lamb:

John 1:29
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold!The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! amnoV <286> tou <3588> {LAMB}

1 Peter 1:19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.{AS} amnou <286> {OF A LAMB}

Reve 5:5 But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals." 6 And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lambkin as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, arnion <721> {A LAMBKIN}

The Son of God:

Revelation 2:18 " And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write, ' These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass:

Hello, InChristAlways--welcome to CR.

As far as the Revelation of the New Testament is concerned, I would say that one must necessarily be a Christian to truly consider this text to be inspired by God. However, there may be others who study these Scriptures and take them to heart for various reasons.

Your original question is clear, but could you clarify the references you have cited after the Biblical text you quoted? I think you may be making comparisons between the Christian New Testament and other religious writings? Forgive my obvious confusion--I am probably not alone in this.

InPeace,
InLove

This is my first post here and one book that interest me in the Bible is Revelation [in conjunction with the book of Daniel].
Are there religions here outside of Christianity that view that book as inspired by God or that refer to it in anyway? Thanks.
Your original question is clear, but could you clarify the references you have cited after the Biblical text you quoted
If you mean after the verses of the NT text I quoted, it is just the form of the greek word at the end..

Luke 18:31 Then He took the twelve aside and said toward them, "Behold!!, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things having been written through the prophets about the Son of the Man shall be being accomplished.[#5055] telesqhsetai <5055> (5701)

John 19:30
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It has been accomplished! [#5055]" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. tetelestai <5055> (5769)

[size=+2] [/size]Revelation 1:18 and he who is living, and I did become dead, and, lo, I am living to the ages of the ages. Amen! and I have the keys of the hades and of the death.

Isaiah 28 is interesting as it also uses "death/hades" together. How do jews view this passage btw?

Isaiah 28:14 Therefore hear the word of the LORD, you scornful men, Who rule this people who [are] in Jerusalem, 15 Because you have said, "We have made a covenant with death, And with Sheol we are in agreement. When the overflowing scourge passes through, It will not come to us, For we have made lies our refuge,.......... [size=+2] 18 Your covenant with death will be covered over/atoned[#03722], And your agreement with Sheol will not stand; When the overflowing scourge passes through, [/size]

wow ...the book of revelation and the book of daniel are most certainly inspired of God ,what thrilling times we are living in, the prophecies are well along in this time of the end and what a wonderful hope for the future is in store for those who love God.

mee said:
wow ...the book of revelation and the book of daniel are most certainly inspired of God ,what thrilling times we are living in, the prophecies are well along in this time of the end and what a wonderful hope for the future is in store for those who love God.
I agree. Isn't Daniel 10/11/12 describing that Great War in revelation? That is why I am currently translating Daniel 11 but unfortunately, it is one of the toughest chapters in the Bible for me to Translate. :(
Steve

Daniel 10:1 In the third year of Cyrus["posses thou the Furnace"], King of Persia["pure/splended"], a thing, was revealed unto Daniel["God is my Judge"], whose name was called Belteshazzar["Lord of the straightened treasure"]; and True was the thing, even [concerned] a great Army/Host [#06635], and he understood the thing, and had understanding in the sight/appearance.

Dan 8:11 Yea, he magnified 01431 [himself] even to the prince 08269 of the host 06635, and by him the Continual 08548 was taken away 07311 07311 , and the place 04349 of his sanctuary 04720 was cast down 07993

[size=+2]Daniel 12:1 "At that time Michael shall stand up, The great prince [#08269] who stands [watch] over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, [/size]
Reve 16:[size=+2]14 For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, [which] go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the Battle of that Great Day of God Almighty.[/size]

interesting that the longest topic Jesus spoke on was about the end of the age..

Matthew 24

To give hope and comfort and certainly a warning of the beginning of sorrows. I believe Revelation is the book that will be used during that time because its a detailed timeline of what will come to pass. To us, it may seem a fairy tale.. but to those enduring through those times it will be fact and may be the only means of hope that Christ will prevail.

Do I believe that its God-inspired... without a doubt.

I agree. Isn't Daniel 10/11/12 describing that Great War in revelation? That is why I am currently translating Daniel 11 but unfortunately, it is one of the toughest chapters in the Bible for me to Translate. :(
Steve

Daniel 10:1 In the third year of Cyrus["posses thou the Furnace"], King of Persia["pure/splended"], a thing, was revealed unto Daniel["God is my Judge"], whose name was called Belteshazzar["Lord of the straightened treasure"]; and True was the thing, even [concerned] a great Army/Host [#06635], and he understood the thing, and had understanding in the sight/appearance.

Dan 8:11 Yea, he magnified 01431 [himself] even to the prince 08269 of the host 06635, and by him the Continual 08548 was taken away 07311 07311 , and the place 04349 of his sanctuary 04720 was cast down 07993

[size=+2]Daniel 12:1 "At that time Michael shall stand up, The great prince [#08269] who stands [watch] over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, [/size]
Reve 16:[size=+2]14 For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, [which] go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the Battle of that Great Day of God Almighty.[/size]
[size=+2][/size]
Faithfulservant said:
interesting that the longest topic Jesus spoke on was about the end of the age..

Matthew 24

To give hope and comfort and certainly a warning of the beginning of sorrows. I believe Revelation is the book that will be used during that time because its a detailed timeline of what will come to pass. To us, it may seem a fairy tale.. but to those enduring through those times it will be fact and may be the only means of hope that Christ will prevail.

Do I believe that its God-inspired... without a doubt.
Great. The same abomination of desolation spoken of by Jesus is the same one in Daniel 11 [with the article "the" in it]. If that is the case, how can any of Daniel 11 have been fulfilled before Jesus came as it directly leads up to Daniel 12?

[I believe the jewish religion views this "event" as happening in "maccabees", but I don't see how that is possible]
Steve

Daniel 11:31 and arms from Him, They shall stand up and They profane/defile the Sanctuary, The Stronghold, and They remove the Continual/Perpetual[#08548] and They give The Abomination, One making desolate.

(Rotherham) Matthew 24:15 Whensoever, therefore, ye shall see the abomination desolation, that was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place,--he that readeth, let him think,

ICA -

when you say you're translating the book of daniel, do you mean from the original hebrew and aramaic?

Isn't Daniel 10/11/12 describing that Great War in revelation?
no, it isn't. it's describing the end of the babylonian exile and the return to the land of israel (which took place during the reign of cyrus the great, or xerxes as he was known in greece) - all of this was taking place in the context of the longstanding war between greece and the persian empire, which included such occasions as the battle of thermopylae before alexander the great eventually settled the question in the 4th century BCE by defeating the persians.

I believe the jewish religion views this "event" as happening in "maccabees", but I don't see how that is possible
why not? daniel 11:2 refers specifically to the war between the persians and the greeks, then 11:3 refers to alexander himself, who eventually became ruler of persia by defeating the emperor. 11:4 then refers to what happened after alexander died and his empire was divided up between seleucus, ptolemy and lysimachus, who all ended up fighting each other (5-15). the seleucid greeks were the ones who ended up ruling the area of israel (16) and desecrating the Temple (31) and encourage hellenisation and apostasy (32). the maccabean rebellion is then described in 33 and on. it couldn't be clearer - in fact, i'm astonished it can be interpreted any other way.

i must say, i find it extraordinary that people go to such lengths to try and prove that prophetic texts refer to jesus, or the end of the world, when they patently refer to something completely different.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Hello InChristAlways,

I think this is my first time addressing you directly, so welcome to CR!

I've been reading your posts concerning Daniel and Revelation and still can't quite figure out what you are trying to say/ask. Must say I am not a Bible scholar, plus it seems you are generating your own translation from some original language (Greek?). Anyway, I am just being curious here as to the point you are trying to make. Do you feel you've found some huge inconsistency in a literal reading of the Bible that turns things on their head or perhaps you are simply refuting the Jewish interpretation of their own scripture, as BB picked up on?

While I agree with Faithfulservant that Revelation is a message of hope and assurance to get Christians through dark times I am much less inclined to read it as a timeline of events that can be dissected.

peace,
lunamoth

why not? daniel 11:2 refers specifically to the war between the persians and the greeks, then 11:3 refers to alexander himself, who eventually became ruler of persia by defeating the emperor. 11:4 then refers to what happened after alexander died and his empire was divided up between seleucus, ptolemy and lysimachus, who all ended up fighting each other (5-15). the seleucid greeks were the ones who ended up ruling the area of israel (16) and desecrating the Temple (31) and encourage hellenisation and apostasy (32). the maccabean rebellion is then described in 33 and on. it couldn't be clearer - in fact, i'm astonished it can be interpreted any other way.

i must say, i find it extraordinary that people go to such lengths to try and prove that prophetic texts refer to jesus, or the end of the world, when they patently refer to something completely different.

b'shalom

bananabrain
I have been in contact with other scholars concerning the Translation of Daniel 11 and Drashi [from the jewsforjudaism forum] emailed me as I had asked him if he had an accurate translation. He used to be a Lutheran before turning to Judaism and moving to Israel.[Wonder why he didn't join Islam or just turn atheist instead like so many other christians have done].

Here was his reply:
Shalom Steve.
Well, I have taken over the JewsforJudaism moderator position, so things are a bit more calmer now that I am the resident dictator! ;) Yes, I did get married 1.5 years ago. And as for Daniel, it's the only text in the Tanach which is in Aramaic (looks like Hebrew, but the grammar is different). :confused:

I am looking, and there are various feminine nouns relating to kingdom, which, when speaking of the land, is treated in the feminine (just like all towns, cities, etc.) but there is no explicit single word which would translate to "she";it is inferred.

So - "She [his kingdom] shall be broken/smashed and be divided..." is just speaking of the kingdom.

Malachi 2: 11 Judah has dealt treacherously, And an abomination has been committed in Israel and in Jerusalem, For Judah has profaned The LORD's holy [institution] which He loves: He has married the daughter ofa foreign/strange [#05236] god.

Daniel uses the term in relationship to the Jews worshipping the gentile deities, another foreign reference.

In 11:39 we have, "And he will construct the fortresses and the strongholds in [honor of] a gentile/foreign deity. Whomever he will recognize [as his master] he will increasingly honor and he will give [it/him] dominion over the multitudes, and he will apportion to it/him land for a price."

The Malbim applies Daniel 11 to refer to Constantine,:confused: which is an interesting interpretation.
How the heck did Constantine enter the picture? I have heard some historicist christians having the view of Constantine being the "manchild" in revelation 12, which is absurb and blasphemous in itself.

I am also looking at the possibility of 2 covenants being mentioned and the reason being is because of Paul's mention of them in Galatians 4. Another words, could the "Holy covenant" of vs 30 be different than the "covenant" in vs 32 since the messiah would bring in a NC for Israel and Judah?[jeremiah 31]

Gala 4:24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar -- 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children -- 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

[font=Times New Roman, Times]Daniel 11:29 to [an] Appointed Time. He shall return and He comes into Southland and [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]She [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]shall not become as former and as [a] latter. 30 And They come into Him, boats of Kittim, and He is sore, and He returns and He menaces[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times] on [a]Holy Covenant, [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]and He does and He returns, and understanding on Ones forsaking [[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]a] Holy Covenant, [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]31 and armed forces from Him, They shall stand and They violate [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]the Sanctuary[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times], The Stronghold, and They take away the Continual/Perpetual and They give The Abomination One making desolate.32 And ones condemning [[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]a] Covenant [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]He[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times] shall pollute in slicknesses, and with Ones knowing of[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times] his God[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times], They shall be steadfast and They do. And [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]Ones [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times], intelligent of [a] people,[/font]

He used to be a Lutheran before turning to Judaism and moving to Israel.[Wonder why he didn't join Islam or just turn atheist instead like so many other christians have done].
umph. this may not make him an expert on the book of daniel, however. plus, in my experience, christians think judaism would be closer to them than islam and this is probably true - albeit judaism and islam are far closer together than judaism and christianity are. nonetheless:

"She [his kingdom] shall be broken/smashed and be divided..." is just speaking of the kingdom.
this is not the whole story by any means. the feminine word for "kingdom" has many inner meanings and a lot of them can apply here.

The Malbim applies Daniel 11 to refer to Constantine, which is an interesting interpretation.
the malbim is a far later authority (poland, C19th i believe) and as such has a pretty jaundiced view of christianity - thus a "gentile/foreign deity" can be construed here as referring to constantine's adoption of christianity (as far as malbim is concerned, the "foreign deity" is jesus) i wouldn't pay too much attention to that though, but what it does highlight is that if you try and apply prophecy like daniel further than its immediate context, it kind of opens a can of worms.

this idea from jeremiah that the Moshiach will bring a new covenant is obviously seen by christians as supporting their interpretation, but we would consider it more as being that the Torah will be renewed and reinterpreted - not dropped in favour of direct salvation through the Moshiach himself. what we mean is that some of the more insoluble problems (such as what the prophecies refer to) will be resolved.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Gala 4:24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar -- 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children -- 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

[font=Times New Roman, Times]Daniel 11:29 to [an] Appointed Time. He shall return and He comes into Southland and [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]She [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]shall not become as former and as [a] latter. 30 And They come into Him, boats of Kittim, and He is sore, and He returns and He menaces[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times] on [a]Holy Covenant, [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]and He does and He returns, and understanding on Ones forsaking [[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]a] Holy Covenant, [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]31 and armed forces from Him, They shall stand and They violate [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]the Sanctuary[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times], The Stronghold, and They take away the Continual/Perpetual and They give The Abomination One making desolate.32 And ones condemning [[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]a] Covenant [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]He[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times] shall pollute in slicknesses, and with Ones knowing of[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times] his God[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times], They shall be steadfast and They do. And [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times]Ones [/font][font=Times New Roman, Times], intelligent of [a] people,[/font]
bananabrain said:
quote ICA: He used to be a Lutheran before turning to Judaism and moving to Israel.[Wonder why he didn't join Islam or just turn atheist instead like so many other christians have done].
umph. this may not make him an expert on the book of daniel, however. plus, in my experience, christians think judaism would be closer to them than islam and this is probably true - albeit judaism and islam are far closer together than judaism and christianity are. nonetheless:
this is not the whole story by any means. the feminine word for "kingdom" has many inner meanings and a lot of them can apply here.
quote Drashi: The Malbim applies Daniel 11 to refer to Constantine,:confused: which is an interesting interpretation.
the malbim is a far later authority (poland, C19th i believe) and as such has a pretty jaundiced view of christianity - thus a "gentile/foreign deity" can be construed here as referring to constantine's adoption of christianity (as far as malbim is concerned, the "foreign deity" is jesus) i wouldn't pay too much attention to that though, but what it does highlight is that if you try and apply prophecy like daniel further than its immediate context, it kind of opens a can of worms.

this idea from jeremiah that the Moshiach will bring a new covenant is obviously seen by christians as supporting their interpretation, but we would consider it more as being that the Torah will be renewed and reinterpreted - not dropped in favour of direct salvation through the Moshiach himself. what we mean is that some of the more insoluble problems (such as what the prophecies refer to) will be resolved.
b'shalom
bananabrain
Hi banan. Drashi is highly respected in the judaism community and is one reason I wrote to him.

In my view, the New "Heavens and Earth" is representative of the NC God brought to OC Israel/Judah as prophecied in the OT prophecies.[Note Isaiah 28/Malachi 3/4]

What is Judaism views of what God means by a new "heaven and earth" as our own book of revelation also depicts a "new heavena and earth [ btw, my view of this differs from the "early xtian churches" interpretation, such as Daniel 11/12]? Thanks.
Isaiah 65:17 For, lo, I am creating new heavens, and a new earth, And the former things are not remembered, Nor do they ascend on the heart.

[size=+2]Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth did pass away, and the sea is not any more; [/size]
Jeremiah 31 doesn't mention a "heaven and earth" passing away, just the "OC" made with the original OC Hebrew 12 tribes of Israel out of Egypt.[later divided into 2 Nations of Judah and Israel after Solomon]
What is interesting about this passages is the "days are coming" [Jesus preaching up to the Cross] and "after those days" [Pentecost and after]?

Jeremiah 31:31 Lo, days are coming, an affirmation of Jehovah, And I have made with the house of Israel And with the house of Judah a new covenant, 32 Not like the covenant that I made with their fathers, In the day of My laying hold on their hand, To bring them out of the land of Egypt, In that they made void My covenant, And I ruled over them--an affirmation of Jehovah. 33 For this [is] the covenant that I make, With the house of Israel, after those days, An affirmation of Jehovah, I have given My law in their inward part, And on their heart I do write it, And I have been to them for God, And they are to me for a people.

quote ICA to Bana: He used to be a Lutheran before turning to Judaism and moving to Israel.[Wonder why he didn't join Islam or just turn atheist instead like so many other christians have done].

umph. this may not make him an expert on the book of Daniel, however. plus, in my experience, christians think judaism would be closer to them than islam and this is probably true - albeit judaism and islam are far closer together than judaism and christianity are. nonetheless:
Except that Islam does believe Jesus was a great Prophet that fulfilled the Law, so to me, judaism and Islam aren't very close at all in my view.
Daniel 11:35 And some of the teachers do stumble for refining by them, and for purifying, and for making white--till the time of the end, for [it is] yet for a time appointed.

Daniel 12:9
And he said, "Go [your way,] Daniel, for the words [are] closed up and sealed till the time of the end........ 13 "But you, go [your way] till the end; for you shall rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days."

Revelation 22:10
And he said to me, "Do not seal the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand.
A book for all Mankind.

Revelation 1:1 [The] Revelation/uncovering of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants/bondslaves -- things which must shortly take place.

As you seek the Lord in the book different parts will speak to you that are for you at that appointed time. The book will be revealed in your experience as you grow and progress into the stature of sonship to God. The wisdom of man is foolishness with God. The wisdom of man would seek an understanding of the book of Revelation verse by verse in the letter of the Word, but the wisdom of God teaches it experience by experience.

Don't try to understand it, but pray for obedience, that you might apprehend the ways of the Lord. Seek that your mind and heart (soul) will come into that relationship with God where the Spirit of God in your spirit can reveal. Then the book will commence to speak to you out of your relationship with the Father/Creator! Instead of mere head knowledge, the message of the book will begin to apply to your life in the power of kingship and priesthood.

Most of the book is rooted in the symbology of the Old Testament. You will find there the temple, the sacrifices, the worshipers, the ark of the covenant, the candlestick, the city Jerusalem, mount Zion, the prophets, the priesthood, the king and the throne, the archangel, the serpent, trumpets, feasts, and many more. Now by the spirit of wisdom and revelation all these things begin to relate to your experience, your life, and your walk in God. You cross the thresholds of spiritual reality where all that was natural and external to Israel in the Old Testament now becomes spiritual and internal as the revelation of Jesus Christ in the elect.

The Camp--The Court--The Tabernacle--The Brazen Altar--The Laver-- The Table--The Lampstand--The Golden Altar--The Mercy Seat and Ark--The Gate--The First Veil--The Second Veil--The Significance of These and Their Antitypes.

THE Tabernacle which God commanded the people of Israel to construct in the Wilderness of Sin, and in connection with which all their religious services and ceremonies were instituted, was, the Apostle Paul assures us, a shadow of good things to come. (`Heb. 8:5; 10:1`; `Col. 2:17`) In fact, the whole nation of Israel, as well as its laws and its religious services and ceremonies, was typical. This being true, our understanding of the plan and work of salvation now in progress, as well as their future development, cannot fail to be greatly enlightened by a careful study of those "shadows" which the Israelites, for our edification, were caused to repeat year by year continually until the Gospel age introduced their antitypes--the realities. `1 Pet. 1:11`; `Heb. 10:1-3`
It is not simply to gain a historical knowledge of the Jewish forms, ceremonies and worship that we come to the investigation

InChristAlways said:
Except that Islam does believe Jesus was a great Prophet that fulfilled the Law, so to me, judaism and Islam aren't very close at all in my view.

Islam does regard Jesus as a prophet - but as a fulfillment of "the law" strikes as a more Christian than Islamic view. I've started a thread on the Islam board to see if this specific issue can be addressed in more detail by Muslim members.

As for Revelations itself - certainly it was included in the NT Canon, but my understanding is that is was relatively late in being added.

Here's a possibly interesting quote from the Wikipedia about the controversy surrounding this book:

Revelation is considered one of the most controversial and difficult books of the Bible, with many diverse interpretations of the meanings of the various names and events in the account. Protestant founder Martin Luther considered Revelation to be "neither apostolic nor prophetic" and stated that "Christ is neither taught nor known in it" [2].

In the 4th century, St. John Chrysostom and other bishops argued against including this book in the New Testament canon, chiefly because of the difficulties of interpreting it and the danger for abuse. Christians in Syria also reject it because of the Montanists' heavy reliance on it. In the 9th century, it was included with the Apocalypse of Peter among "disputed" books in the Stichometry of St. Nicephorus, Patriarch of Constantinople. In the end it was included in the accepted canon, although it remains the only book of the New Testament that is not read within the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

God is not interested in carnal recognition, neither are those to whom is given the kingly spirit and the priestly nature. At the very outset the book is addressed to a peculiar class of people: "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto Him, to show unto His servants/bondslaves things which must shortly come to pass" (Rev. 1:1).
As for Revelations itself - certainly it was included in the NT Canon, but my understanding is that is was relatively late in being added.

Here's a possibly interesting quote from the Wikipedia about the controversy surrounding this book:

Quote:
Revelation is considered one of the most controversial and difficult books of the Bible, with many diverse interpretations of the meanings of the various names and events in the account. Protestant founder Martin Luther considered Revelation to be "neither apostolic nor prophetic" and stated that "Christ is neither taught nor known in it" [2].
Hi I,Brian. Perhaps it is because no one could figure out what it was representing, and to me, it follows Daniel and the Olivet Discourse along with the rest of the OT prophecies fairly accurately, depending on how one views the book of Daniel.

And like Daniel, it appears Translation is the major problem I think.

In my view, it concerns OC Israel/Judah of the "flesh" and bringing both of those Nations together under One King. When I first started reading the Bible about 3 yrs ago, I was being accused of being "anti-jewish" because of my views of Daniel and revelation, but according to my views, Wrath was to come upon the Jewish Nation Jesus came to.

In either case, Wrath/new heaven and earth comes after the messiah comes to Israel/Judah and maybe the jews of today don't see that in the OT prophecies?
Steve

Isaiah 61:2 To proclaim And the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn,
Isaiah 4:4 When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and by the spirit of burning, 5 then the LORD will create above every dwelling place of Mount Zion, and above her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day and the shining of a flaming fire by night. For over all the glory there [will be] a covering. 6 And there will be a tabernacle for shade in the daytime from the heat, for a place of refuge, and for a shelter from storm and rain.
ezekiel 22:17 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 18 "Son of man, the house of Israel has become dross to Me; they [are] all bronze, tin, iron, and lead, in the midst of a furnace; they have become dross from silver. 19 "Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: 'Because you have all become dross, therefore behold, I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem. 20 '[As men] gather silver, bronze, iron, lead, and tin into the midst of a furnace, to blow fire on it, to melt [it;] so I will gather [you] in My anger and in My fury, and I will leave [you there] and melt you. 21 'Yes, I will gather you and blow on you with the fire of My wrath, and you shall be melted in its midst. 22 'As silver is melted in the midst of a furnace, so shall you be melted in its midst; then you shall know that I, the LORD, have poured out My fury on you.' "

Luke 21:23
"But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! For there will be great distress in the land and wrath upon this people.

revelation 16:8 Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and power was given to him to scorch men with fire. 9 And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the Name of God who has power over these plagues; and they did not repent and give Him glory.

Protestant founder Martin Luther considered Revelation to be "neither apostolic nor prophetic" and stated that "Christ is neither taught nor known in it" :confused: :eek: [2].
Edit to add to post #15:

Good thing I never read any of ML writings. ;)

John 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It has been accomplished! [#5055]" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. tetelestai <5055> (5769)

[size=+2] [/size]Revelation 1:18 and he who is living, and I did become dead, and, lo, I am living to the ages of the ages. Amen! and I have the keys of the hades and of the death.

ICA:

Just wanted to mention to you that the Hebrew transliterated word for "New" in Jeremiah 31 is the same word that is used for "New" Moon. Thought this might help on understanding the meaning behind "new", and give insight into the response that Banana gave above about how Jews view the passage.

Protestant founder Martin Luther considered Revelation to be "neither apostolic nor prophetic" and stated that "Christ is neither taught nor known in it" :confused: :eek: [2].
Revelation is considered one of the most controversial and difficult books of the Bible, with many diverse interpretations of the meanings of the various names and events in the account.
In the 4th century, St. John Chrysostom and other bishops argued against including this book in the New Testament canon, chiefly because of the difficulties of interpreting it and the danger for abuse. Christians in Syria also reject it because of the Montanists' heavy reliance on it. In the 9th century, it was included with the Apocalypse of Peter among "disputed" books in the Stichometry of St. Nicephorus, Patriarch of Constantinople. In the end it was included in the accepted canon, although it remains the only book of the New Testament that is not read within the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Protestant founder Martin Luther considered Revelation to be "neither apostolic nor prophetic" and stated that "Christ is neither taught nor known in it" [2].
I have heard that there are also many that have tried to assign a date to this book/vision, anywhere to just after the Cross to late first century.

Most of the book is rooted in the symbology of the Old Testament, the temple, sanctuary, the sacrifices, the worshipers, the ark of the covenant, the candlestick, the city Jerusalem, mount Zion, the prophets, the priesthood, the king and the throne, the archangel, the serpent, trumpets, feasts, and many more. All these things begin to relate to our experience, life, and walk in God.

Is it perhaps an error to try and assign a "date" to it or any other book in the Bible but rather read the "message" that is written in it? I am just confused why there is such division on it in the different churches today, as God says those who read it are "Blessed". Does anyone else here have any personal thoughts on it of being divine or not? Thanks.
Steve

The book of Rev also has similarities to what Jesus has said about the end times:

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Revelation 6.1+2+4[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer. And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword. [/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Matthew 24.4-6[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. [/font]
[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Rev. 6.5-8[/font]
[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.
And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Matthew 24.7-8[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
All these are the beginning of sorrows. [/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Rev. 6.9-11[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Matthew 24.9-14 -[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
[/font]
[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Rev 6:12-17[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13. And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
[/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]15. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16. And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17. For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
[/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Matthew 24.29[/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken. [/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]These are just the seal judgements in Revaltion. Sometimes I wounder if the seals and the trumpets and bowls were ment to happen more similtaniosly then it reads?[/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]But I find it interesting that alot of these prophetic books or writings have a lot of simularities in them. [/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][/font][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Here is the web site I pulled these from if you want to further research this?[/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The Seven Seals (http://www.exodus2006.com/JimWright/SevenSeals.htm) Not sure if my link is working. I hope its ok to put a link up dont want to run into any copyright issues.[/font]
[/font]

quote Curios Mike:The book of Rev also has similarities to what Jesus has said about the end times:.........
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]......These are just the seal judgements in Revaltion. Sometimes I wounder if the seals and the trumpets and bowls were ment to happen more similtaniosly then it reads?[/font][/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif][font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]But I find it interesting that alot of these prophetic books or writings have a lot of simularities in them. ...........[/font][/font]
Thanks curious Mike. So you believe the book is Divine and Inspired. The events are suppose to happen "quickly" or in a short period of time.

It also follows the book of Daniel fairly accurately as "the abomination" mentioned by Jesus in the Olivet Discourse is mentioned in Daniel chapt 11. I won't quote the verses as most here are familiar with the visions that Daniel was given concerning the Time of the End.
Thanks for the post. Peace
Steve

Back