Evengelicals call for climate change policy

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Admin
Reaction score
Interesting story:

http://news.com.com/Evangelicals+ur...arming/2100-11746_3-6037125.html?tag=nefd.top

A group of 85 evangelical Christian leaders on Wednesday backed legislation opposed by the White House to cut carbon dioxide emissions, kicking off a campaign to mobilize religious conservatives to combat global warming.

The group, which included mega-church pastors, Christian college presidents, religious broadcasters and writers, also unveiled a full-page advertisement to run in Thursday's New York Times and a television ad it hopes to screen nationally.

"With God's help, we can stop global warming for our kids, our world and our Lord," the television spot declared.

The campaign by evangelicals coincided with a call on Wednesday by a leading U.S. think tank for the United States to take immediate steps to fight global warming, including working with other nations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Does anyone know if this is Christian conservatives, liberals, or both, involved in campaigning for change?

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
I said:
Interesting story:

http://news.com.com/Evangelicals+urge+action+on+global+warming/2100-11746_3-6037125.html?tag=nefd.top

Does anyone know if this is Christian conservatives, liberals, or both, involved in campaigning for change?

I havent heard anything about this. I watch Fox news almost around the clock. I think its also worth mentioning that 85 church leaders is not even 1% of the churches in this country so I tend to take this with a grain of salt. The way its worded almost sounds like a televengalist attempts at political grandstanding.

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Admin
Reaction score
It was from a technology site, but I won't deny that any
media source may sometimes be prone to over-emphasise the importance of a story. :)

Faustus

Jew In Progress
Reaction score
If it is true, it seems there a little late. People have been urging everyone to take climate change seriously for years. Can't imagine why they'd suddenly care no- oh. Right. Nevermind!

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
Do you think this might have a connection the The President's recent State of the Union Address, saying we need to end our dependence on foreign oil?

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
Rick Warren is very popular among alot of Christians. The book The Purpose Driven Life was written some time ago and is still used as an inspiritational guide to living life as a Christian.

Im thinking also that the State of Union address was the catalyst for this campaign. We are seeing worldwide the effects of global warming and what a way to get Christian support for the Presidents plan to limit our needs for oil by focusing on the direct effects of CO2 emissions. Im curious as to the outcome.

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
I heard not to long ago that some conservative think tank finally decided that Global Warming was not only occurring but was caused by humans...and the current influence was due to the advent of the agricultural age and humans living in permanent establishments v. being nomads. That in a few hundred years we will begin to feel the effects of the industrial age.

If that has any basis in reality, it may just be time to move to higher ground and further north...for the next couple millenia...

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the perspective, Faithfulservant - much appreciated. I guess this means that the petitioning is by a significant group.

It's interesting to read you mention the State of the Union address - it does make for interesting timing. Will be more interesting to see where the wheels of this all roll.

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
I just heard an interview with a British climate scientist.

Interviewer: So this is the hottest July day in the UK ever!
Scientist: No. It's the coolest July day for the rest of our lives.

File under 'Food for thought.'