Jewish Denominations?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
As I understand it there are understood divisions within Judaism.

I had heard of Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed, but now someone told me about Renewal..and something inbetween this thought and Reformed.

Then I hear of Hassidic, I'm thinking that falls into the Orthodox camp.

And then I also hear of folks 'converting' to Judaism, but that that would only be allowed by some of these groups as for most it is the maternal line that dictates whether you are Jewish or not...

Could someone expound?

As to what the divisions are and what they mean.
As to whether there are various 'denominations/sects' within these divisions.

thanx so much.

Hey wil.

Any of the denominations are accepting of converts. Matrilineal descent is the way Judaism is generally passed on from one generation to the next, but in Reform and I believe also Reconstructionist Judaism, it can be passed on via the father (patrilineal descent) if the child has a Jewish upbringing.

There are a few small and significant issues that separate C, O, and Ref. One is authority. In O, when you have an issue of halachah (Jewish law) that needs resolution, you go to your rabbi, who then bases his answer on previous answers given by rabbis and his own experience. If you go to C,you go to your rabbi, and if it's an unoriginal question, they give you the answer that a special group of rabbis who answers this type of question comes up with, while if it's and original question, they submit it to that group for review, and those rabbis consult what other rabbis in the past have said as well as looking at changes in situation. If you're Ref, then you may consult your rabbi, but the focus is on personal autonomy, and if something doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. For Recon there's also an emphasis on personal autonomy, but also on community standards. So what your particular community thinks, maybe you're to one extreme of it or the other, but somehow at least it's forming a cohesive whole.

Now for O, generally only traditional methods of study and approach to the text are acceptable. For all of the others, modern methods are acceptable.

For O, God gave the Torah and oral Torah at sinai. For Ref, both are human creations, first the Torah created and then the oral Torah, although there may or may not have been divine influence. For C, it could really go either way depending on the individual's inclination, although if it's more towards O, it's probably taken more metaphorically.

Theology besides these issues (unless I'm leaving something out) is generally interchangeable between denominations. Rationalism vs mysticism, etc. The only denomination with a clear theological break is Reconstructionism, although it too can reflect the full spectrum of theological ideas found in the rest of Judaism, just within a naturalistic vs supernaturalistic worldview.

Other ideas that distinguish Recon: Tradition gets a vote, but not a veto. Judaism is an "evolving religious civilization." More willing to make subtle changes to the liturgy to reflect Reconstructionist beliefs (other denominations tend not to change the liturgy much at all.)

Renewal is a transdenominational mystical movement that seeks to reinvigorate Judaism. It was started in the 60s by a bunch of hippies and some hasidim who were shedding some of their traditional thinking, incorporating feminism, hasidism, syncretism, and generally progressive thinking.

Orthodoxy can be divided up further in many different ways. One of the sub-groups of Orthodoxy is the hasidim. There are actually multiple hasidic groups, and each branch of hasidism understands it in their own way, although there are some general ideas common to hasidism. It's a mystical movement that was attempting to bring mysticism to the people. It often embraces panentheism and rejects asceticism, and separates itself from previous mystical emphasis on more complicated practices and meditational gymnastics in favor of simple ways of connecting to God. Although it was originally a very progressive group, it is now one of the most orthodox.

Dauer

Thank you so much...I find it interesting that there exists a branch of Hasidic in Renewal...much like the new thought Christians thinking they are truly following in Jesus footsteps or some of the peace loving interfaith Sufi who feel they are connecting to Muhamed's concepts...

I also am surprised that an Orthodox Hasidic group would accept converts...I thought that was in opposition to their ways...I live to learn.

Added question....I don't know the name of it, the prayer tool with the straps and box...are there folks in all traditions that would use this?

Wil,

There isn't a branch of hasidism in renewal. Hasidism is located firmly in Orthodox. Rather, hasidic thought had an influence on Renewal. A lot of this influence comes through R. Zalman Schachter-Shalomi who helped to midwife the movement (he had been with Chabad before) but also from other people, like R. Art Green for example. I think it's a bit different from the analogies you're making though. Generally in Renewal you find people holding less strongly to absolute claims like those, focusing instead on what is meaningful (and on finding meaning) for the individual, and for that reason there is quite a bit of variation in Renewal, from Jewfis to Jubus to Jewitches to neo-hasidim to those who connect primarily through progressive politics and social activism, to those who really like to create new ritual, etc. In some in the Renewal community in fact, they'd state quite addamantly that their approach is "post-halachic" or that theirs is a new twist on halachah. There's a lot of emphasis on innovation, breathing new life, rather than claiming it's all what was done before. Claiming it's what was done is more what you'll find in, for example, Orthodoxy. I suppose the one claim you could find within Renewal as support for it is that historically iconoclasm and syncretism have been part of the religion. If that's what you're getting at, then yes.

I also am surprised that an Orthodox Hasidic group would accept converts...I thought that was in opposition to their ways...I live to learn.

There was a time when Judaism was much more open to converts, but Christian Rome made any attempt to aide someone in conversion to Judaism illegal and iirc the penalty was death, so Judaism found in the first chapter of ruth a rationale for turning people away three times to test their sincerity. But Judaism has always accepted converts, just has never been "evangelical", as it were, but for Judaism there really is no need to spread itself in such a way for multiple reasons.

Added question....I don't know the name of it, the prayer tool with the straps and box...are there folks in all traditions that would use this?

Tefillin, or phylacteries in English. Yes, there are people from all traditions who would wear tefillin, although finding women wearing them is more likely in liberal movements. And finding a higher percentage of people wearing them is more likely in more conservative movements. It's a mitzvah, as opposed to a custom.

Dauer

Back