The Hajj.

Susanna

Reaction score
Hi, Salaam alaikum :)

I have a young friend who is a Muslim and I asked her if she would make the trip to the Hajj and she said to me, that she might not ever do this trip, because it totally changes your life and she felt that she was not ready for this trip because she could not return home again and carry on her life as before. I did not question further, but would like to know, do you have to make this journey when you reach a certain age and beyond, and do you have to change your lifestyle after this journey (I know this is a very spiritual journey for all Muslims), because, returning to what you had and done before this journey, would be like "stagnation" as to "moving forward" in your life? Once you have made this journey, you can not return to the way of life you had before it, and if you do return to the way of life you had before this journey, is it not then, a wasted journey?

Hi, Salaam alaikum :)

I have a young friend who is a Muslim and I asked her if she would make the trip to the Hajj and she said to me, that she might not ever do this trip, because it totally changes your life and she felt that she was not ready for this trip because she could not return home again and carry on her life as before. I did not question further, but would like to know, do you have to make this journey when you reach a certain age and beyond, and do you have to change your lifestyle after this journey (I know this is a very spiritual journey for all Muslims), because, returning to what you had and done before this journey, would be like "stagnation" as to "moving forward" in your life? Once you have made this journey, you can not return to the way of life you had before it, and if you do return to the way of life you had before this journey, is it not then, a wasted journey?

Shalom Susanna

If a Muslim can make the Hadj once in their lifetime then they should. There is no compulsion to change your 'lifestyle' after performing Hadj but it is very common for people to become more spiritually and less materially concerned.

Some people change instantly and in others we notice the change more slowly.

Although it may appear to be stagnation to return to your pre-Hadj 'lifestyle', it does of course depend on the life you used to lead.

As the Christians say 'God moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform', which about sums it up for me.

I have not made the Hadj yet but expect that my wife and her sister will go before me, but when God marks something for any of us, then we have no choice, so it may not come to pass in that way.

Peace

...salaam ... pilgrimages are special events for any person... focusing on God, examining your life, working out what pleases God, and what you can to to please Him more, it's heavy stuff... the charged atmosphere, knowing that the ppl you meet upon the road are heading in the same direction... it's magical... then, on top of that... what if God (if it pleases him) gives you a sign while you're there or on the way there..? what if he says, I want u to help the poor, or I want u to teach kids, or heal the sick..? it's not as if u can say no... u can't ignore God... pilgrimages are not for the young or for those who are excitable, I don't think... maybe this is what we do when we are old, when its near the end, so that we can make peace with God... I can maybe see where ur friend is coming from...

wa aleykum salaam

One of the difficulties we face in a modern world is that of 'out of sight, out of mind'. This girl seems aware that her current lifestyle is perhaps a little inappropriate for a Muslim girl and of course Hajj will change this, she would be unable to mentally hide behind whatever excuses she currently gives herself. I don't mean that to sound critical, there is no doubt we could all do better.

Francis

When I catch my husband doing anything unIslamic he always says "but I am young, I will be a better Muslim when I am older", to which I always reply "only Allah knows if you will get any older and what will you say to Him if you die today - oops I expected more time?". I can also see where the girl is coming from but it is only trying to put off what she already knows to be the right way to live and how could she explain this if Allah takes her tomorrow? Who knows if any of us will be here tomorrow?

Salaam

Back