Where was Jesus from ages 13 to 33?

A_SIMPLE_MAN

Reaction score
My thoughts on this topic are very confused at best. I have gone to many churches of different denominations and I have watched the highly revered Rev. Billy Graham for more than 30 years yet NO ONE has broached this question. Why? I realize that there are gaps here and there in The Bible, yet the SINGLE GREATEST man to have walked this earth, the Son of God, who was without sin and the Savior to all Christians is missing for 21 years. Also, I would think that EVERY man would admit that thoses 21 years, from age 13 to 32, are the most "testing" and sin-filled because of human desires and needs.
I am open to any and all thoughts and/or websites which can answer this question...even in part.

Last edited:
Namaste Simple Man...

I don't know why you would profess on the Judaic board that Jesus was the greatest man to have walked the earth...nor why you would post the same question three times...

I'd expect that two of these will be deleted...this maybe one of them as Jews don't typically spend a lot of time studying Jesus, or where he was during his life.

Wil,
I apologize for the repetition of my question, but it is my first time on this website and I didn't realize that it was posted on the sites of EVERY religion. Also, who do the Jews think is the greatest man to have walked the earth? Judas?

It's okay - I'll move the thread to the Christianity board, as it's far more likely to be a discussion pusher there. :)

I think he was in school... and not his local comprehensive, either... my suspicion was he was in some kind of religious desert school, where he was learning some kind of powerful ideas...

Wil,
I apologize for the repetition of my question, but it is my first time on this website and I didn't realize that it was posted on the sites of EVERY religion. Also, who do the Jews think is the greatest man to have walked the earth? Judas?
No Judas plays a lot bigger role in Christianity than Judaism...just like Jesus, w/o Judas our religion would be quite different. Not meaning to put words in their mouths...I would imagine they would reference Moses like Jesus, performed many miracles and led his people out of slavery.

It wasn't posted on EVERY religion (no need to shout here either) just the three areas you posted it in that I noted. Not being picky here...but I believe he started his ministry at 30 or the part that we know of anyway...

ASM,

Judas has no role in Judaism. Neither does Jesus. I think in some forms of gnosticism Judas may be particularly important but not sure. For some reason I'm also recalling a conversation on c-r.com a long time ago about some non-canonical gospels that emphasize Judas as a good guy.

From a Jewish perspective I don't think we can really talk about the greatest man to walk the earth. We're all human. Some of us excell in certain areas. Moses is considered the greatest prophet but I wouldn't say the greatest man. David is considered the greatest king of Israel but still I wouldn't say the greatest man. In kabbalah Joseph is the model of a tzaddik, but still not the greatest man. We all make mistakes, learn, grow. And it's not miracles that made David or Moses great. We only attribute miracles to G!d. It's who they were and what they accomplished.

Dauer

has no role in Judaism--->Jesus. From a Jewish perspective I don't think we can really talk about the greatest man to walk the earth.
actually jesus plays the greatest part of judaism, he is lord and god, as he was to others before you and after, you just dont seem to know it yet.

Hi Simple Man —

I have gone to many churches of different denominations and I have watched the highly revered Rev. Billy Graham for more than 30 years yet NO ONE has broached this question. Why?

Actually catholic theology has done a great deal of speculative thinking on this, and produced some interesting ideas as to why these years are uncharted.

Many propose that he travelled hither and thither, from the depths of Asia to the Americas ... Scripture makes plain that whatever He did, he emerged into the world with a profound and apparently unassailable knowledge of the Hebrew Scriptures.

In most Christian doctrines, Jesus Christ is 'true God, true man' ... we (I speak generally for Catholics) believe that these years were spent experiencing His humanity at first hand, living the common life.

Thomas

Blazyn,

No, that is only in Christianity. And if you're confusing the Christian messiah for the Jewish one, they're both completely different job descriptions, nor is the Jewish messiah supposed to be the greatest man on earth. I came here to help by answering a question that was posted before this was placed in the Christianity forum, not be harassed by a fundamentalist, and I would ask that you respect that instead of assaulting me with a triumphalist evangelical attack on my religion's belief system. This may be the Christianity board but this is still a comparative religion forum. If Judaism expresses one belief, it's not exactly in the spirit of the forum to tell it that it's wrong and the people who know best about what matters to it is another religion.

Dauer

i think that jesus was teaching and loving the jewish people and the outcasts about what it really meant to love god and others, and was busy teaching them about the scriptures. probably for the most part he was working as a carpenter and praying everyday. basically prepping to be the messiah since he is the son of god come to die for our sins.

Could you expand on that a bit? What role, specifically, does Jesus play in Judaism?

Chris

Not only was He was the Messiah that the prophets foretold about, but he was God who created the world. That's a pretty big role. I think that most Jews probably don't see him that way.

Not only was He was the Messiah that the prophets foretold about, but he was God who created the world. That's a pretty big role. I think that most Jews probably don't see him that way.

Jesus doesn't fulfill the requirements set down in the TaNaKH (the Jewish bible), therefore, he cannot be the Moshiakh (Messiah).

There is a thread on the Judaism board about the requirements for the Jewish Messiah and do an internal link (I'll look for it some other time if nobody else does.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:

But, as Phyllis points out, he is neither the messiah nor God in Judaism. He may play that role in the Christian overlay, but not in Judaism.

Chris

What role, specifically, does Jesus play in Judaism?
Being a little over simplistic it seems Jesus plays the same role in Judaism as Moses does to Greek Mythology...or as Mohamed does to Christianity...or the Bahaullah to
Islam....ie none. A new religion was developed which in some people's belief system surpassed the last..and in others people's belief system had nothing to do with the last.

Now this thread was originally started on the Judaic board hence my response and Dauer's interjection. So while those who most often participate on the Christianity board are followers and believers of Christ as Saviour....surely we are still aware that that is not everyone's belief system.

My thoughts on this topic are very confused at best. I have gone to many churches of different denominations and I have watched the highly revered Rev. Billy Graham for more than 30 years yet NO ONE has broached this question. Why? I realize that there are gaps here and there in The Bible, yet the SINGLE GREATEST man to have walked this earth, the Son of God, who was without sin and the Savior to all Christians is missing for 21 years. Also, I would think that EVERY man would admit that thoses 21 years, from age 13 to 32, are the most "testing" and sin-filled because of human desires and needs.
I am open to any and all thoughts and/or websites which can answer this question...even in part.
As he grew up in the city of Nazareth, he learned to be a carpenter, undoubtedly from his adoptive father, Joseph.—Matthew 13:55.

Jesus lived in Nazareth until he was 30 years old. Then he went to John to be baptized. Following his baptism, Jesus embarked on his dynamic ministry. For three and a half years, he traveled throughout his homeland declaring the good news of God’s Kingdom. He gave evidence that he had been sent by God. How? By performing many miracles—powerful works that were beyond human ability.—Matthew 4:17; Luke 19:37, 38.

Of the first years of Jesus’ life nothing is known except that "the young child continued growing and getting strong, being filled with wisdom, and God’s favor continued upon him." (Lu 2:40)
Though perfect, he still had to grow from babyhood through childhood and adolescence to adulthood, all the while learning. (Luke 2:51, 52)

Being a little over simplistic it seems Jesus plays the same role in Judaism as Moses does to Greek Mythology...or as Mohamed does to Christianity...or the Bahaullah to
Islam....ie none. A new religion was developed which in some people's belief system surpassed the last..and in others people's belief system had nothing to do with the last.

Now this thread was originally started on the Judaic board hence my response and Dauer's interjection. So while those who most often participate on the Christianity board are followers and believers of Christ as Saviour....surely we are still aware that that is not everyone's belief system.

Funny, I got something different out of this post this morning than I now see is your real intent. I was kinda bleary eyed, which probably accounts for my mis interpretation. What I thought you were saying was that perhaps Jesus plays a large role in Christianity similar to the oversize role Moses plays in Judaism- which I thought was an excellent point.

Unrelated to that: It's my understanding that the town of Nazareth didn't exist at the purported time of Jesus' earthly existence. This according to the current analysis of archaeological evidence from the region.

Chris

Back