Cool article, how many claims can be verified

Sean H.

Reaction score
I found this web article that I thought was neat

Muhammad In The Bible

It talks of a few things, one of them is Paran. Another is Kedar. Here are some direct quotes which the article talks about.

Genesis 21:20-21

20: And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
21: And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.

Genesis 25:13
And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the firstborn of Ishmael, Nebajoth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,

WikiBible itself says this of Kedar
Kedar From BibleWiki

Meaning: dark-skinned
The second son of Ishmael (Gen 2513).
It is the name for the nomadic tribes of Arabs, the Bedouins generally (Isa 2116; Isa 4211; Isa 607; Jer 210; Ezek 2721), who dwelt in the north-west of Arabia. They lived in black hair-tents (Song 15). To "dwell in the tents of Kedar" was to be cut off from the worship of the true God (Ps 1205). The Kedarites suffered at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 4928f).

Ezekiel Chapter 27, Verse 21

21: Arabia, and all the princes of Kedar, they occupied with thee in lambs, and rams, and goats: in these were they thy merchants.
Psalm 120

1: In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me.
2: Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
3: What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue?
4: Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper.
5: Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!
6: My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
7: I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war.

The Arabs were idol worshippers prior to the advent of Muhammad correct?

1. Can the information on Kedar be backed up?

It seems that we're referring to two Kedars, one being Ishmael's son, and the other being a tribe. Is there a correlation between Kedar the son and Kedar the tribe?

Here's a section from the Article
THE AWAITED PROPHET WAS TO COME FROM ARABIA
Deuteronomy 33:1-2 combines references to Moses, Jesus and Muhammad. It speaks of God (i.e. God's revelation) coming from Sinai, rising from Seir (probably the village of Sa'ir near Jerusalem) and shining forth from Paran. According to Genesis 21:21, the wilderness of Paran was the place where Ishmael settled (i.e. Arabia, specifically Mecca).
Indeed the King James version of the Bible mentions the pilgrims passing through the valley of Ba'ca (another name of Mecca) in Psalms 84:4-6.

2. Can it be shown that Paran is in Arabia? Wikipedia is not helpful and shows it somewhere else. Similarly on the Geography of Saudi Arabia page, it does not list Paran.

3. Can Ba'ca be shown to be another name for Mecca?

Habakkuk 3:3 speaks of God (God's help) coming from Te'man (an Oasis North of Medina according to J. Hasting's Dictionary of the Bible), and the holy one (coming) from Paran. That holy one who under persecution migrated from Paran (Mecca) to be received enthusiastically in Medina was none but prophet Muhammad.
Indeed the incident of the migration of the prophet and his persecuted followers is vividly described in Isaiah 21:13-17. That section foretold as well about the battle of Badr in which the few ill-armed faithful miraculously defeated the "mighty" men of Ke'dar, who sought to destroy Islam and intimidate their own folks who turned -to Islam.

Habakkuk 3:3
God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.

4. Now it mentions mount Paran. Can paran be shown to be in Arabia rather than Sinai? Is there a reason both couldn't be true?

Isaiah 21:13-17
13: The burden upon Arabia. In the forest in Arabia shall ye lodge, O ye travelling companies of Dedanim.
14: The inhabitants of the land of Tema brought water to him that was thirsty, they prevented with their bread him that fled.
15: For they fled from the swords, from the drawn sword, and from the bent bow, and from the grievousness of war.
16: For thus hath the LORD said unto me, Within a year, according to the years of an hireling, and all the glory of Kedar shall fail:
17: And the residue of the number of archers, the mighty men of the children of Kedar, shall be diminished: for the LORD God of Israel hath spoken it.

5. How well does Isaiah live up to the story the article talks about? I am not familiar with it.

One of the signs of the prophet to come from Paran (Mecca) is that he will come with "ten thousands of saints" (Deuteronomy 33:2 KJV).

6. This is pretty good. Approximately 10,000 soldiers came with Muhammad during the Conqest of Mecca. Is there evidence to say that Paran is Mecca though?

Back