Confirmation name

as far as I was led to believe, the confirmation name should be of a saint, one specific to you, the individual, and this saint then is one you should pray to, for assistance in life...

hope that helps... where is Thomas? he'll tell us!

Hi Dondi & Francis —

In the Eastern Church Baptism and Confirmation are conferred as one Sacrament. In the Western Church the idea was Baptism was entry into the Christian Community — hence the practice of baptising children — and Confirmation was made at the age when a child could be held morally responsible ... so Baptism confers the power of the Holy Spirit, and Confirmation, sometimes known as 'The Sacrament of the Seal' confirms that gift.

The taking of a confirmation name is not widespread in Catholicism, it's not even across Europe, but rather a local addenda to the Sacrament.

At Baptism we receive a name, and members of the community are requested to act as godparents to the child ... in confirmation this process is repeated, but this time the confirmation name taken is the name of the 'confirmation parent', and the confirmation parent is usually (if not always) a saint, "chosen by the person to be confirmed and imposed by the bishop in
Confirmation. Added to the Christian name, it gives the person confirmed a heavenly patron whom he should endeavor to imitate."

+++

Interestingly the Catholic Encyclopedia notes:
"Many medieval examples show that any notable change of condition, especially in the spiritual order, was often accompanied by the reception of a new name. In the eighth century the two Englishmen, Winfrith and Willibald, going on different occasions to Rome received from the reigning pontiff, along with a new commission to preach, the names respectively of Boniface and Clement. So again Emma of Normandy, when she married King Ethelred in 1002, took the name Ælfgifu; while, of course, the reception of a new name upon entering a religious order is almost universal even in our day.It is not strange, then, that at confirmation, in which the interposition of a godfather emphasizes the resemblance with baptism, it should have become customary to take a new name, though usually no great use is made of it. In one case, however, that of Henry III, King of France -- who being the godson of our English Edward VI had been christened Edouard Alexandre in 1551 -- the same French prince at confirmation received the name of Henri, and by this he afterwards reigned. Even in England the practice of adopting a new name at confirmation was remembered after the Reformation, for Sir Edward Coke declares that a man might validly buy land by his confirmation name, and he recalls the case of a Sir Francis Gawdye, late Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, whose name of baptism was Thomas and his name of confirmation Francis (Co. Litt. 3a)."

Nothing extraordinary, just the way in which a confirmation name was treated in a very real fashion.

In the West, I think the process has largely died away, although it is much stronger in those cultures where the family unity still functions as a powerful entity.

I still recall a famous Hispanic designer, Carlos Segura, during a talk in which he listed every major career step — school to roadie, roadie to drummer, drummer to designer — as something he discussed in depth with his godfather before making a decision...

Thomas

Thanks, Thomas.

Now I'm wondering, since you've mentioned that a notable change of spiritual condition sometimes accompanies a new name, if that is why Popes adopted a new name upon election to office?

Apparently the practice started because Pope John II (553AD) decided his forename — Mercurius — was from a god of the Roman pantheon, so he thought it better to pick another.

Then again, Marcellus II kept his forename when elected pope in 1555, so it's 'traditional' but not doctrinal, nor necessary.

There has been only one Pope Peter, the Apostle and founder of Christ's Church on earth, and according to the prophecy of St Malachi, which lists 112 popes from his own day to the final judgement (if you go by such things), the last pope will also be called Peter.

The pope before the last would be, according to Malachi, "Gloria Olivae" meaning "the glory of the olive" and, as the list stands, this refers to our current pope. Does the clue fit? Well, the Order of Saint Benedict has the Olive as its symbol, and has a branch called The Olivetans, to whom cardinal Ratzinger belonged — so his choice of Benedict as a name follows from his calling to join the Order and a recognition of the Benedictine charism.

Keen observers of the Malaci prophecy have noted that although the saint states that one pope follows the next, there is a change of phraseology in the last entry, which could allow for an unknown number of popes between the current number 111, and the last ... certainly other prophecies seem to indicate that the last pope follows the current one is an erroneous reading (or prophecy), as most speak of the dawn of a new era that will be something of a 'golden age' for the Church ...

About the last pope, the prophecy reads, "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

Thomas

About the last pope, the prophecy reads, "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

Thomas

Not very cheery, eh?

:)

Is this the same thing my african friends call their christian name?
For example my friend entazana (he would laugh at that spelling) told me his christian name was stanley and I was free to call him that if it pleased me though he prefered his tribal name entawhatever.

Interestingly enough his wife Nora (her christain name) like her name so well she would not even tell me her tribal name and forbid her husband from telling with a good scolding in a language I didnt understand.

my confirmation name is Joan (joan of arc) I picked her because she was a bit of a tomboy and a rebel etc. All of that appealed to me when I was 12 and about to be Confirmed. There was a girl at school who picked " Bettina" I had a knock down drag our fight with her because I didnt believe a saint would be called Bettina. As I can recall now, many years later, I think indeed that she was right and I was WRONG. (oh the horror). lol love the grey

"In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."Thomas

I see that name of my vicarage as being a confirmation name in itself, directly from Heaven. Part of the form letter greetings which I have used in the past references such treatment :

As Jesus Christ spoke of not rejoicing that the spirits are subject to us, but that our names are written in heaven, and the fact that Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead to the office of 'Peter the Roman', I hold that the list of names in the St. Malachy prophecies are akin to, if not exactly, those very names written in heaven.

Even Nostradamus spoke of 'Peter the Roman' in Century VII, #24.

The use of 'the strong one' in the quatrain refers to Daniel 7:7.

Jesus Christ's resurrecting me is in His fulfillment of an agreement of contract law into which both He and I entered prior to my baptising Him.

Pleased to meet you.

Back