Jesus not the Messiah because...

hershK

Reaction score
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]God promised Abraham: “In your seed shall all nations of the earth be blessed” (Gen. 22:18).[/FONT]

The Jewish faith regards Jesus as not being the Messiah because he is not of the seed of Solomon, I believe based upon this verse:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I will raise up your offspring after you who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son . . . . And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me; your throne shall be established for ever. (2 Sam. 7:12-16.)

But this verse seems to look far past Solomon, because we all know that Solomon's dynasty did not last forever.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]If you walk before me, as David your father walked, doing according to all that I have commanded you and keeping my statutes and my ordinances, then I will establish your royal throne, as I covenanted with David your father saying, ‘There shall not fail you a man to rule Israel.’ But if you turn aside and forsake my statutes and my commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will pluck you up from the land which I have given you (2 Chronicles 7:19-20).

It seems that that Solomon's everlasting kingdom had conditions on it, but as we know Solomon did turn from God and worshipped other gods, therefore, his kingdom did not last forever.

Most of the kings after David failed to keep his commandments. So how is the Messaiah to come from such a seed?

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon conquered Judah and deposed her king, cutting off the dynasty of David leaving only a stump of his dynasty remaining. Isaiah predicted that a branch would come from David's father Jesse in Isaiah 11:

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD. . . .
. . . with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth,
and with the breath of his lips he shall slay the wicked.
Righteousness shall be the girdle of his waist,
and faithfulness the girdle of his loins

There had been no kings to fulfill God's commandments and to last forever!
Jeremaiah prophesied of the Messaiah:

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Behold the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: “The LORD is our righteousness” (Jeremiah 23:5-6; see also 33:15).

Christians believe that Jesus, God's Son, is the only seed that has fulfilled God's commandments, Jesus' kingdom will never die, for Jesus has conquered death and is now reigning forever!

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jesus was “the son of David,” the “shoot from the stump of Jesse,” the “Branch,” only through him will David's kingdom last forever.

Matthew 16:28
[/FONT]I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”.

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Why then, do those of the Jewish faith insist that Jesus could not be the Messiah unless he were through the seed of Solomon?

I mean not to cause anger, but to open up a discussion of prophecies.

God bless you all! :)
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Ok, this is an easy one, Hershk; and I'm not even Jewish.

The explanation is easy. It is that Christians have pretty much ignored Jewish arguments down through the centuries as our religion slowly (and sometimes not so slowly) evolved into something not even remotely Jewish. In other words there is a generation gap between us and them of such magnitude that it has gobbled up 4 or five entire dimensions full of Jell-o. It is so big that you couldn't even bridge it with 10 million Orthodontists working on overtime. Of course, we argue, they ignored us first; but you have to admit that we have done most of the ignoring over the balance of time. The real problem, Hershk, is that whether their argument is good or not, it is good enough for us; because we are not listening.

I'm really not sure I understand what you are saying.

What are we ignoring?

I'm really not sure I understand what you are saying.

What are we ignoring?
The fact that there are volumes as to why the Jews don't believe Jesus fulfilled prophecy. Christians believe he fulfilled prophecy, that is why they are called Christians. Jews that believe Jesus fulfilled prophecy are also called Christians.

Romans 3:1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the value of circumcision?
2 Much in every way. To begin with, the Jews are entrusted with the oracles of God.

Here is a very plain statement by Paul, and not the only one, that explains who has been entrusted with the oracles. They are not entrusted to Gentiles. There is nobody who can explain them like Jews can, and that's just the way it is. Christianity, on the whole, ignores this; but we often like to argue with Jews about what they mean. It is an ironic situation.

Dream,

Oh I think I understand you now. You are saying that Christians have no right in telling Jews what their Scriptures mean, because it was given to them?

That makes a lot of sense and that is why we have Jesus. He knew the Scriptures backward a forward, and he also fulfilled them. He left even the most learned of the Jews in awe of his knowledge!

We mustn't look past the fact that even our Lord was a Jew.

The fact that there are volumes as to why the Jews don't believe Jesus fulfilled prophecy. Christians believe he fulfilled prophecy, that is why they are called Christians. Jews that believe Jesus fulfilled prophecy are also called Christians.

My initial post was concerning why they feel that he must be of the seed of Solomon when Solomon forfeited his everlasting kingdom.

Thank you. There is no such thing as Messianic Jews. They are Christians.

Dream,

Oh I think I understand you now. You are saying that Christians have no right in telling Jews what their Scriptures mean, because it was given to them?

That makes a lot of sense and that is why we have Jesus. He knew the Scriptures backward a forward, and he also fulfilled them. He left even the most learned of the Jews in awe of his knowledge!

We mustn't look past the fact that even our Lord was a Jew.

:eek:

-"And he shall set up a banner for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth." (Isaiah 11:12)

Well, I'm proof that not all Jews live in Israel.

"...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Micah 4:3)

Have you turned on your TV lately? Read the newspaper?

Back