Rabbi Steve

BB said:
by all means, go ahead and do what you want to do, but don't expect anyone in the actual community to respect it as a process.

I disagree with the suggestion that nobody in the Jewish community will respect an interfaith wedding that included a rabbi. I don't think the wedding will mean much in terms of participation in the community, halachically it's invalid according, unless I'm mistaken, to all of the denominations (both liberal and traditional) that take halachah seriously and certainly since the non-Jewish partner didn't convert he/she will have very limited avenues for community participation at most synagogues but I still think it can be expected a good number of people in the Jewish community would respect the wedding, not that respect amounts to a whole lot.

That said, my personal assessment of this introduction thread is that it's an attempt to network for business reasons, that is, the business of performing interfaith weddings as the website the OP is connected to is very much about selling that type of wedding ceremony to anyone that's looking for it at a price. I back up my statement by the fact that the OP hasn't had anything to say anywhere else on the forum or about anything other than interfaith wedding services but would be delighted if he proved me wrong.

ok, perhaps not nobody, but nobody who understands anything about continuity, let alone halakhah. i am all for making the best of things and, incidentally, for openness towards non-jewish partners with a view to making a conversion an attractive option. however, if you just bend right over and go along with whatever the hell people want no matter how ridiculous, then i don't see how conversion or the ultimate jewishness of the next generation is to be made something to aspire to or value. as my suegra (mother-in-law) once said to me, "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?" and while i thought she was being rather insulting in our case, i think the phrase is rather appropriate here.

as for pitching for business, i think you're probably right, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered pointing out why i think it's such a bad idea. anyway, why worry, when hollywood (and, for some particular reason, ben stiller movies) do such a good job of PR for these things, "meet the fockers" being a case in point. there is more to a jewish wedding than a kipa and a huppah.

b'shalom

bananabrain

And a randy dog and a blue rinse cat. :)

(I hope!)

BB said:
, but nobody who understands anything about continuity, let alone halakhah.

I still disagree. I'm sure there are some people who understand something about continuity and would respect it, or who understand halachah and would respect it. Not everyone who understands halachah agrees with it at every turn and not everyone who understands continuity understands it as you do. That's not to say I think interfaith weddings are great either. I just think you're making far too many sweeping generalizations about the Jewish community.

Personally I think in terms of interfaith marriage something like this isn't going to have much of an impact on anyone, but, I think if it's one aspect of welcoming a non-Jewish partner into the community it might be a good thing. My aunt was not Jewish when she and my uncle married, but the community was very welcoming of her anyway. A couple of years later she converted and is very active at their shul now, probably more than my uncle.

i think i probably agree with you more than i sound like i do. i just don't think we should sanction interfaith *weddings* within the community. it is an entirely different question whether we should encourage people who were going to intermarry regardless to become more involved if it leads to something more productive and, dare i say it, more traditionally acceptable, like conversion, which is not something i normally push at people. all i am saying is that being jewish is a responsibility, it's not something one should use for ethnic flavouring at one's wedding.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BB said:
i just don't think we should sanction interfaith *weddings* within the community.

I don't think interfaith weddings should be "officially" sanctioned in any way, but I'm also glad that some rabbis, working with interfaith couples more closely -- that is, using a different model of interaction than the OP -- are willing to make exceptions for them in certain cases.

BB said:
all i am saying is that being jewish is a responsibility, it's not something one should use for ethnic flavouring at one's wedding.

I mostly agree with that and, at the same time, that's something that goes beyond the interfaith marriage issue. There are culturally identifying Jews for whom a wedding and indeed other transitional moments in life make use of Judaism merely for ethnic flavoring. Their Judaism is not my Judaism any more than it's your Judaism, but it is a Judaism and one that has quite a strong following. As long as that cultural identity is passed from one generation to the next there remains the possibility that the children might investigate their heritage more deeply. I think it's something that's happening more in this generation as the idea of a "melting pot" has been deemed less appealing than that of diversity. Of course here I'm speaking to the American Jewish community with which I'm most familiar.

a jewish marriage is a contract between two jewish people. you cannot contract under halakhah to do something that halakhah does not permit. halakhically, these are not marriages at all, but private arrangements presumably under some form of civil law.
All quite interesting. It seems though members of the Jewish community were first to accept homosexual unions as marriages. Is it halakhah? As you indicated a contract between two Jewish 'people'.

Now I also know a synagogue and a Presbytarian church that got 'married' and have their ketubah framed in their common lobby area. Surprise they have a number of interfaith couple there. Not that were married there but found the synagogue as it was accepting...

Shalom everyone. I have read the thread so far, and I totally respect the opinion that Interfaith marriages are problematic. But that is only- I repeat only- for Halachic Jews. And that fact cannot and will not change.

However for liberal mainstream Jews, Interfaith relationships, marriage and families must be supported and nurtured. They are our future. And Judaism will not die- it will adapt as it needs to. And there really is no need to debate the theory- since we will always "agree to disagree" on it. :)

After living as a Halachic Jew for many years, I began to understand it was no longer acceptable for me. My vision had become wider- and I now embrace all choices. Halacha was never truly practiced in my Conservative communities. It was always hypocritical in application- from shabbat observance through kashrut. And it resonated for only a very few elderly people.

We all need to understand that what is right or correct for each of us- is wonderful! But we must learn to be respectful and be non-judgmental and yes- SUPPORTIVE towards each other.

It is true that child of an interfaith couple might one day marry a non-Jew. Yet, if there is a spark in their hearts- that is lit by the love and support of a rabbi or cantor somewhere in their journeys- the end result might be a new Jewish generation. That is the premise- and guess what? It works. Many of the interfaith couples I have counseled are choosing to raise their children as Jews or at least expose them to both faiths.

We must always choose love and light rather than judgment and darkness. That's the message of Hanukah- and Christmas!

Best wishes for a wonderful Holiday Season!

Rabbi Steve

RabbiSteve,

what is your response to my previous query?

me said:
That said, my personal assessment of this introduction thread is that it's an attempt to network for business reasons, that is, the business of performing interfaith weddings as the website the OP is connected to is very much about selling that type of wedding ceremony to anyone that's looking for it at a price. I back up my statement by the fact that the OP hasn't had anything to say anywhere else on the forum or about anything other than interfaith wedding services but would be delighted if he proved me wrong.

Will you be participating in the larger interfaith forums or just in your introduction thread in response to issues related to your interfaith marriage services?

Chag Urim Sameach.

-- Dauer

Shalom Dauer. I do not surf this forum for threads to add my input but I would certainly be happy to post to any thread that would in some way be enhanced by a response from me. And yes, you are partially correct that my intro here is an attempt to network. But it is also an attempt to assuage the negativity associated with an interfaith union. I really believe it is my calling to joyously support any couple who experiences the type of negative reaction that is standard from mainstream clergy. You might not understand all of the hurt- and damage- we cause in an effort to keep the flock(s) in line.

Happy New Year!
Rabbi Steve

Long, long ago on a fairly windy day I helped someone hold down a ketubah on a picnic table as they finished some final stroke or signature. Cultural experiences thrill me. I wasn't sure if I should touch it, but the man was fighting lots of wind. Such a difficult document might have been messed up by all the flapping. Holding the down the Ketubah I noticed the amazing artistry, and I didn't know whether it was Bible verses or something else and had never heard the word 'Ketubah' before. I was a lifelong charismatic then, so I understood very little of what I saw and just tried to soak it in.

A charismatic friend in my church had begun to go 'Messianic'. He still came to church but began wearing 4 tassels that hung over his jeans, and he grew out his beard. He once tried to tell me there was a benefit of observing 'The law'. We were Christians, and I had never heard that before so just chalked it up the fact that he was a weird guy. (My friends tended towards that spectrum. On a side-note, this friend once helped 'rescue' another of my church buddies from the 'Cult of Yahweh'.) My friend liked saying things like 'Shalom', and he met a messianic girl who also liked saying 'Shalom'. In a very short amount of time, he proposed. They were young people, early twenties, with troubled pasts of varying description hoping to find stability and settle down, rear children etc.

I understand they were having two ceremonies, one of them legal and the other more ceremonial. I think they really had three or four ceremonies. The ketubah rabbi had to be flown in from Israel, and he didn't speak English. Apparently nobody else could (or would?) do the ketubah like they had wanted it. I don't think the Rabbi actually knew what the deal was, but I am not sure. My friend's parents were Christian. They were at the wedding, however I don't remember if hers were present at the wedding. They may have come to the reception. The glass was broken, the garter was removed, and the pair were raised on chairs. I actually lost track of them not long after that -- almost 20 years ago.

dauer said:
I'm also glad that some rabbis, working with interfaith couples more closely -- that is, using a different model of interaction than the OP -- are willing to make exceptions for them in certain cases.
and so am i. i just think it should be made abundantly clear what the issues are and when they are likely to arise - i have personal experience of tremendous hurt arising from a decision taken in anger 30 years ago - and that every effort should be made to ensure that a case is made for conversion. i am all for being nice to people, but i don't think that this should be taken advantage of.

There are culturally identifying Jews for whom a wedding and indeed other transitional moments in life make use of Judaism merely for ethnic flavoring.
well, i am entitled to consider that a squandering of an incredible cultural inheritance, which reduces judaism to the level of, say, a chocolate easter bunny. what a loss to the jewish people.

Their Judaism is not my Judaism any more than it's your Judaism, but it is a Judaism and one that has quite a strong following. As long as that cultural identity is passed from one generation to the next there remains the possibility that the children might investigate their heritage more deeply.
but statistically, of course, it won't be passed to even the next generation. that is the point.

wil said:
It seems though members of the Jewish community were first to accept homosexual unions as marriages. Is it halakhah? As you indicated a contract between two Jewish 'people'.
umph - you can't have a homosexual *ketubah*, any more than you can have a ketubah between this synagogue and church that you mention (i almost fell off my chair!) because it's a specific type of contract. of course you can have some kind of other halakhically enforceable contract, but you couldn't contract for a ketubah between other than a jewish man and a jewish woman; the actual word "ketubah" is the amount specified in the marriage contract according to halakhah as her divorce settlement and that can only take place in the context of a marriage. you could have a contract between two homosexual jews, but it could not, as a matter of halakhah, specify as a term of the contract that one of them was entitled to sexual satisfaction from the other, as it is specified in a halakhic marriage contract (the wife's ketubah is payable upon non-delivery of maintenance, sexual satisfaction and i think also shoes, but don't remind mrs bananabrain about the last bit, we don't have any more room in her wardrobes, that's plural), it would be the equivalent of a contract which specified that one of them was entitled to expect the other to feed them bacon in the morning, i think in secular law it's called "ultra vires".

RabbiSteve said:
I totally respect the opinion that Interfaith marriages are problematic. But that is only- I repeat only- for Halachic Jews. And that fact cannot and will not change.
except that that isn't actually true. i expect you learnt, steve, that "kol yisrael arevim zeh-la-zeh", right? well, if you marry a couple and the woman's not jewish and her child comes over to the UK and falls in love with my child, that affects both me and my kid (as halakhic) and the other party - all this does is cause sinat hinam (pointless hatred) and hillul haShem (desecration of the Divine Name) - you are kidding yourself if you think that what you do doesn't have consequences for the people you think you're helping.

However for liberal mainstream Jews, Interfaith relationships, marriage and families must be supported and nurtured. They are our future.
HANG ON. how do you get from trying to help these poor misguided sods to them being "our future"? i've just come from Limmud Home. i *am* a liberal, mainstream jew and i believe that the future is in a renewed commitment to the traditional values of learning, Torah, culture, derech eretz and last but not least, halakhah. your position appears to be an enormous leap to unwarranted conclusions.

After living as a Halachic Jew for many years, I began to understand it was no longer acceptable for me. My vision had become wider- and I now embrace all choices. Halacha was never truly practiced in my Conservative communities. It was always hypocritical in application- from shabbat observance through kashrut. And it resonated for only a very few elderly people.
so your solution, rather than to remove the hypocrisy, is to remove the halakhah? well, pardon me if that makes no sense. why don't you try seeing how life is lived when halakhah is *not* a matter for hypocrisy? or, if you are determined to see hypocrisy everywhere, why do you insist that halakhah be configured to the standards of angels, not normal human beings?

But we must learn to be respectful and be non-judgmental and yes- SUPPORTIVE towards each other.
i don't see why that should be an absolute moral relativism. open-mindedness doesn't mean taking leave of one's critical judgement. a world without judgement is simply a bunch of fluffy, hot-air utopian hippy nonsense. is there *anything* you wouldn't be "supportive" of?

It is true that child of an interfaith couple might one day marry a non-Jew. Yet, if there is a spark in their hearts- that is lit by the love and support of a rabbi or cantor somewhere in their journeys- the end result might be a new Jewish generation.
what an absolutely supine and servile surrender to the selfishness of whimsy and egocentricity. you should read starke and finke's groundbreaking book on the sociology of religion: "acts of faith" - a religion that makes no demands attracts no loyalty and, ultimately, no adherents. that is what the statistics say. anything worth having involves paying a price. all you are doing is giving away a free label - and guess what people do with free stuff?

That is the premise- and guess what? It works. Many of the interfaith couples I have counseled are choosing to raise their children as Jews or at least expose them to both faiths.
that for you is "working"? sheesh. you make it sound as if "at least exposing them to both faiths" is actually an equivalent to getting a decent jewish upbringing. my kids live in a non-jewish society - they're getting plenty of exposure to plenty of other faiths, they don't live in a bubble. what you are doing is the equivalent of raising kids in a commune and not telling them which of the adults are their parents; there's been plenty of research done on the harm done by removing such moral certainties.

We must always choose love and light rather than judgment and darkness.
is that the sort of statement you'd use to get out of a speeding ticket, then? this is nothing but a load of cod-pauline feelgood tosh.

You might not understand all of the hurt- and damage- we cause in an effort to keep the flock(s) in line.
you clearly don't understand all of the hurt and damage you do by giving people anything they ask for and never demanding anything in return. i wouldn't bring up my kids like that and adults contemplating marriage have a lousy future relationship in store if they can't even bring themselves to make tough choices.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I do not surf this forum for threads to add my input but I would certainly be happy to post to any thread that would in some way be enhanced by a response from me.
Namaste Steve,

No need to surf, just click new posts and anything written since you were last online will pop up. You can peruse titles and see if anything titilates...

Namaste Steve,

No need to surf, just click new posts and anything written since you were last online will pop up. You can peruse titles and see if anything titilates...

Indeed, but remember this forum doesn't allow unsolicited advertising. :)

"kol yisrael arevim zeh-la-zeh"

Bananabrain,

First of all thank you for your thoughtful response. I do respect you and your points of view which you certainly articulate in a scholarly manner. But I am wise enough to know that debating you point by point will accomplish nothing. We each see our paths and roles differently and I know that we should just agree to disagree.

However, the translation of the sages dictum which you quoted, which is at the core of your response is "all of Israel is responsible for one another."

I interpret that statement to mean that all the people are responsible for one other. As for me, "yisrael" means "All that G-d saves."

Shalom,
Rabbi Steve

thank you for your politeness.

RabbiSteve said:
But I am wise enough to know that debating you point by point will accomplish nothing. We each see our paths and roles differently and I know that we should just agree to disagree.
i'm trying to understand what is in your mind and how you can justify your position. i can't see it from what you've written. all you really seem to be doing is throwing some assertions out there and then refusing to back them up. debating things point by point is a fundamental characteristic of jewish culture - eilu ve-eilu and so forth.

i interpret that statement to mean that all the people are responsible for one other. As for me, "yisrael" means "All that G-d saves."
i struggle to understand where you're getting that interpretation from. perhaps this is my ignorance, but i can't see how that word can possibly be made to mean such a thing - i can't see how yod-shin-resh can be "saves". could you provide some kind of support for this. more to the point, when the sages say "yisrael" in this context, they are clearly referring to jewish people, otherwise there are other signifiers they could use, "kulei 'alma" or "kol goyim", or any number of other ways. this doesn't feel like it stacks up as an interpretation.

b'shalom

bananabrain

i can't see how yod-shin-resh can be "saves"
The root is s'in-resh-aleph (the "whistling" not "hushed" sibilant, and in first position not second, yod here being the third-person-singular imperfective verb prefix), "to contend". The gloss in Genesis, "wrestles with G-d", is not strained, although I doubt it is the original meaning: from this root we get s'ar "contender; champion" (in cases where two armies or other disputants agree to settle matters by a head-to-head trial-by-combat by single champions from each side), by extension "prince", with feminine derivative S'arah "princess" (although the original form was S'arai "my champion" and perhaps s'ar was never really used in the feminine). So I would read Yis'rael as "G-d prevails" or "G-d rules", something like that.

ah - shin-resh-alef; thanks for that, bob, i knew there was more to it than my hebrew allows and i thought i might be barking up the wrong tree with the root. however, it seems from what you said that one would still struggle to interpret the phrase in the way that steve is trying to do.

b'shalom

bananabrain

ah - shin-resh-alef; thanks for that, bob, i knew there was more to it than my hebrew allows and i thought i might be barking up the wrong tree with the root. however, it seems from what you said that one would still struggle to interpret the phrase in the way that steve is trying to do.

b'shalom

bananabrain
"To save" would be the root in Yesha'yahu "Isaiah", Yehoshuwa' "Joshua", Yeshuwa' "Jesus", all "THE NAME (or "He") saves"

Back