Jews in Japan : after diaspora

dream said:
I assume a true zionist feels responsible for his or her actions and occasionally also for inaction, mostly for his own health but occasionally for someone elses...

I only assume other people are like me...

If your assumptions quoted above are about all people then it is less effective to use them in describing a 'true zionist' as 'true zionists' are a sub-group of 'all people.' If you meant to say that you assume a 'true zionist' acts like 'all people' in the above ways then I think it would have been clearer to do so. I can understand though, if the above are your base assumptions about humanity and something obvious to you, then you might assume it would be obvious to other people that you were applying universal attributes to 'true zionists' and likening them to the rest of humanity.

dream said:
What a staunch zionist is I'm wasn't sure; and I was trying to cover the spectrum. I had thought the 'messianic age' included the broadest concept of zionism in Judaism, but you're saying it is a broader idea.

I don't know how BB or TheKhan are using the phrase 'staunch zionist' but zionism is broader than concepts about the messianic age and concepts about the messianic
age are broader than zionism. They're two separate categories. Some people who believe in a literal messiah or a messianic age are not zionists. Some zionists do not believe in a literal messiah or a messianic age. However, even in its secular forms, zionism is probably to some degree influenced by messianic texts among other things.

Dauer said:
If your assumptions quoted above are about all people then it is less effective to use them in describing a 'true zionist' as 'true zionists' are a sub-group of 'all people.' If you meant to say that you assume a 'true zionist' acts like 'all people' in the above ways then I think it would have been clearer to do so. I can understand though, if the above are your base assumptions about humanity and something obvious to you, then you might assume it would be obvious to other people that you were applying universal attributes to 'true zionists' and likening them to the rest of humanity.
Yes. Those are my assumptions about humanity, although they come from personal experience. They are generalizations of my specific experience. Clarity has always been a struggle for me, especially envisioning how other people perceive me. I am convinced that we each perceive the human experience in a similar way, and I think everyone is like I am.

Dauer said:
There were Jews in China I know. They traveled up the silk road a couple thousand years ago or so. I think there were some Jews that ended up in Japan eventually too. One sec.
I had heard something about that before but until now nothing specific.

dream said:
Yes. Those are my assumptions about humanity, although they come from personal experience. They are generalizations of my specific experience. Clarity has always been a struggle for me, especially envisioning how other people perceive me. I am convinced that we each perceive the human experience in a similar way, and I think everyone is like I am.

I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing your conclusion or how you arrived at it if it sounded that way, just suggesting clearer ways to phrase what you were saying and avoid misinterpretation. Initially when I read your post I thought you were talking about unique qualities and was trying to figure out what exactly those unique qualities were. Of course to someone else it may have been more clear.

-- Dauer

Ok, well when I said 'zionistic irony' I did not have any one group in mind but the fact that multiple groups calling themselves 'zionists' in fact think that they will all have to fight each other some day in a great big war. Yes, they actually think of each other as being under sway of either antichrist or 'The antichrist', and these opposing groups all consider themselves to be zionists! They have libraries of books and decades of opinions backing themselves up, too. Muslims would never call themselves zionists, but even they have their own version of christ and antichrist. I guess for me, zionism is a term that has become progressively more vague over my lifespan.

Your recommendation about clarity is taken, and I agree with you except in one particular, which is your use of the term 'sub-group' for your parents whereas I would have said 'subset'. I would never call my parents a sub-group no matter what they were involved in.

I never said that my parents are zionists.

Why would you never refer to your parents as a sub-group, and only as a subset?

I`m starting to get the feeling that the term "zionist" in the Christian forum is not the same when mentioned here.

I don`t know if this is relevant but I don`t think geographic areas in and around Israel is really Zion, fyi.

And what I meant by "staunch zionist" is someone who believes that all civilization should and did come from ancient middle-eastern areas and that the whole world should revolve around this concept in mind and physically.

TK

BTW, I was looking into the topic of diaspora and it occured to me I automatically assumed that there was only one diaspora, the one around 70 A.D.

And technically if it took people from the 10 lost tribes of the Northern tribes of Israel, a 100 years to reach Japan, that timing would coincide with the time it is said when Japan started which is around 660 B.C. ( just technically )

some videos : (any Judaism or ancient middle-east here?)
YouTube - Shrine maidens dancing (Miko Shinto Shrine Maidens)
YouTube - " Yamabushi-mondou " ?????? (Yamabushi Mountain hermits)
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_n-DyZNTw (NotYouTube - Kyoto Gion Festival (name sounds like Zion)

TK

p.s. first I`m not implying anything with regards to Japan.
second the question marks in the video links are because this system does not read UTF8.

Dauer said:
Why would you never refer to your parents as a sub-group, and only as a subset?
It may seem unfortunate now, but in the correct universe this is actually a joke with potential. There is absolutely no difference between a sub-group and a subset, unless you subtly pick apart the conjugation sub and group, forcing upon it a slang inference. I thought it was funny because I've never heard 'sub-group' before. Everybody always says 'subset' which is a Math term.

Dauer said:
I never said that my parents are zionists.
Mine are Christian Zionists who burn rock and roll albums, don't buy items that may have been cursed by someone in Haiti, bought lots of grain when Pat Robertson said the end of the world was coming, etc. and so forth. They represent a small subset of Christian zionists. Despite my opinion that some of the above behaviors seem a little eccentric to me, it doesn't lessen my respect for my parents. What appears eccentric is often just a difference of opinion.

Last edited:
TheKahn said:
I`m starting to get the feeling that the term "zionist" in the Christian forum is not the same when mentioned here.
Sorry for taking it off topic. Its an interesting topic or I would not have been keeping up on it.

Back