Integral Halachah

BB said:
well, could you give me an example of an externally verifiable *idea*? that is, one which is an idea alone?

No, but I don't claim that ideas exist in some concrete form.

you could say the same thing about real love, good music, or fine art and those exist all right

I do say the same thing in those cases. I don't think we can claim they exist outside of subjective human experience. I've said as much about G!d. At the very least G!d exists in the subjective experiences of individuals. And I'm not certain you'd put good music, fine art and love at the same level you'd put G!d.

then what is it that makes you jewish other than the same sort of stuff that reconstructionists would agree with?

I don't see Judaism as focused on dogma, but on peoplehood and action. I think Judaism is healthiest when it's willing to question itself. Further, to say G!d is One does not imo need to be taken as, 'G!d is indivisible.' As someone who rejects revelatory truth I can't accept that, just because the Torah says something, it should be accepted as true. My own experience of G!d fits within Jewish conceptualizations but I don't think, based on my own subjective experience that I can generalize anything about G!d. I'm readily willing to accept the possibility that G!d is confined to human experience or that the true nature of the Divine is unlike any Jewish conceptualization.

i would certainly suspect/suggest that the psyche is not an independent entity.

And that's most certainly a possibility that I'm open to, but not an assumption I'm willing to make.

yes, but all your fingers are part of one hand, therefore unified. is this down to semantics now or have we agreed, say that G!D Has many Faces, but they are not indications of separation within G!D?

I think your original protestation to my statement that, if G!d is everything then G!d has many bodies, is a matter of semantics and certain sensibilities about that type of language. I have no such sensibilities. I think that even saying, not indications of separation within G!d, may be a matter of semantics. Whether or not my fingers are unified within my hand, they are still separate fingers and still a part of me. I think for you it is more necessary to bring that back to the perspective of unity. I think an argument can be made for G!d's unity from most perspectives but that for some, it's also possible to acknowledge diversity.

i'm not sure there's anything inevitable about that, though.

Oh I don't think there is either. As I say at the end of the post, I really don't know at all. I'm just pointing out other possibilities. I don't have faith in the particulars.

well, you should. or what are we here for? surely you, like me, work for such a thing to come about? that is exactly what tiqqun 'olam is concerned with - so we end up having our wars on the holodeck rather than hiding in the earth's core from arnold schwarzenegger or flying mechanical squids.

That's hope, not belief. I'm skeptical about what the future holds for humanity. I don't need to believe in a utopia in order to work toward it. As a matter of principle I'm willing to fight for something that I don't believe will come about with any certainty.

right, but i don't think you're on a winner using theology for that, because all you're really going to be getting there is confirmation bias and post-hoc rationalisation.

I was protesting the theological basis, not agreeing with it. I do think an evidence-based position is limited though. It observes those who do not take an evidence-based position, if I understand it correctly.

After reading the link that Dauer gave me to the R. Zalman Legacy Project I now understand what an important group your's is.

On the one hand, I want to say thank you because it sounds nice. On the other hand, I'm not sure where the group is or what it is. For example, my family and I are members at a Conservative Synagogue, but I don't think that's the group you are referring to. I really think of myself as a Jew who has been helped by Jewish Renewal to get something useful from the tradition that gives inspiration, energy, health, sanity, etc. Reb Zalman helped me, and others, to make that connection, after we didn't get it from Hebrew School.

My own view is that it is the leading edge of Judaism and includes mysticism, eastern philosophy, chant, dance, meditation, interfaith activities and other progressive notions. It is remarkable that R. Zalman was working in these areas since the 1970's.

That gives good information of what we're talking about. The "leading edge" is a good piece, but it would be chutzpadike for any group to claim ownership of that. I would agree with the notion that Reb Zalman himself is one of our luminaries in terms of "leading edge" but I don't see it as having solidified into a group beyond just the individual visionaries. While he identified ways for the Jewish community to heal from the holocaust, e.g., and to energize Judaism for the future, our institutions are lagging, including the "Jewish Renewal" ones. For example, he scolded elat Chayyim a few years ago because he felt that if a community that would require a mechitzah wanted to come there to learn about Paradigm Shift, they wouldn't be able to accommodate that. So the "progressive" groups struggle too to match Reb Zalman's vision. His vision is really one of klal yisroel and so Renewal must encompass all kinds from the Satmar's to the humanistic Judaism to really be renewal. Eastern philosophy and interfaith activities are not things I've heard him talk of very much.

What I am saying is that the paradigm shift that might make the most sense is to look to eastern traditions for new ideas.

I think that Reb Zalman's message is that we need to be loving partners because we all share the planet. We can and should always try to connect on the universalistic aspects. And when the particularist aspects link up nicely, that's good to note as well. And if one of our loving partners isn't emphasizing the common aspects and seems to not be wanting to collaborate, in our discussions, we need to still honor the religion as a "vital organ of the planet."

If you feel a pull to go to eastern traditions for new ideas, yaasher koch'cha. Please share your findings and bring them back to us Jews so we can learn and grow from you.

During the past 6 months I have participated in interfaith dialogue in my community. I believe getting our children involved in these discussions will give them a perspective I never had.

There is a lot we share with our cousins. There are also some things we don't share. Reb Zalman has made the case that religions are not going to evolve (nor would he wish they did) into a kind of Universalism; the particularism is key part, and not, as one might think, the part we need to get rid of to fix things. Leaving our particularistic practices, cuts off an important part for which there's a heart aspect, a nostalgia, a love that's built into our wiring. Additionally, to become knowledgeable in Hebrew and Kabbalah requires a time commitment and doesn't serve any group as much as ours (at least in the short term). Yet it is worthwhile because of the energy it sends our way and it spills over to others in the long term through the mark we potentially make on the world.

I expect relations between Christians, Muslims and Jews will improve, but it could take a long time and the improvement with be asymptotic.

So you mean a long-haul. I agree and more importantly, I join with you in prayer for this vision.

I am in the early stages of understanding this. Perhaps you can give me some ideas.
But in my view some of the areas that western tradition has gone wrong is the emphasis on power, strength, use of military, materialism, and we can probably think of other undesirable values.
On the Legacy webpage it says that R. Zalman became a Sheikh in the Sufi Order. That is certainly inspiring and amazing as well.

Yes. I also particularly love the article where Reb Zalman does zikr with the Sufis too . ("Saying Zikr with the Sufis: A Trial," http://www.rzlp.org/download.cfm?DownloadFile=FA2260C9-D614-E19E-2663E9D927C1C98F page 53)

Using the terms "files" and "imported", are you trying to link religious ideas to computer terminology ?

Reb Zalman is particularly fond of making analogies between a computer and Judaism, (e.g., will a change crash the system files, is an update going to work in the old OS-es, can we import something without crashing the system, is your modem and network getting you to a strong God-connection, etc.) and also what he calls organismic, (E.g. Judaism is an organ in the body of Gaia as are other religions, groups that look to preserve themselves and not focus on the needs of our mother the planet are like rogue cells, updates to Judaism can be seen as organ transplants and we need to know when we should lower the antibodies to allow for the transplant and when we should keep them there because they have a function, our martyrs functioned like white blood cells to rid the body of disease, etc.)

But I have a question about some of the issues related to mysticism. Don't some of these approaches stand very much outside of Jewish tradition and in some cases aren't they on the interface of "superstition" or even "idolatry". Can you explain your thoughts on this ?

I think to answer this question would go beyond this forum. It's important, deep and complex. I needs an in person contact with someone in your local space. There would be discussion, contemplation and unraveling.

I am not trying to avoid an answer but I don't know the specifics of your situation and where you are going here. I also believe that an electronic response could not suffice; it requires presence.

Thanks for asking me about myself. I have a family with young children. I am hoping to teach my children about Judaism from a progressive perspective.

This seems very achievable and I hope and pray you can accomplish your vision for your parenting. And please pray for me and mine as well.

oh, smeg, not the "objectives of power" argument... look, if you're innovating you rarely publicise what you're doing until you're sure it will scale and not fall flat on its face at launch. reb zalman did not, i think, start with a grand PR announcement.

Okay

Quote:
>>If a basis for kosher behavior is decoupled from God then it is decoupled from torah and then where are you.
reconstructionism! hehe. i don't think that necessarily demands very much in terms of theology, however.

It seems to me that it would be possible, in theory, for a change in practice to be innovated / discovered and introduced by someone who does not believe in God. It is possible that that one's psyche would map up to those who believe in divine inspiration.

I think we are talking about the ways people have of understanding themselves and different terminology. If mine is understood as being connected to a God with transcendent power and yours is understood as being a part of the immanent mystery of the psyche, we may, nonetheless be referring to the same things, albeit with different terms.

but this is simply renewal version of the "din Torah" argument from authority. you don't have to be someone's peer to question or challenge. you're denying your own right to be convinced. what is the difference between your deferral to reb zalman's upbringing and the insistence from some of the kiruv-mongers of my acquaintance that if i went off and studied at yeshiva for 20 years, i'd definitely end up agreeing with them. as such an assertion cannot be evidenced accurately, i'd tend to discount it in no uncertain terms. it's not a substitute for argument from merit. i'm not, incidentally, down on reb zalman here, i think you're putting him on a pedestal.

Good point. You make me realize that I often find him saying things I already believed. He definitely has helped me access a way of expressing my own beliefs.

Quote:
>>Reb Zalman has a teaching called Deep Ecumenism. In it, he talks about how no religion can afford a triumphalist bent at this time because of our mother the planet which needs to be our collective focus.
but even if the planet was not in danger and we were a sustainable civilisation, i'd still have a problem with any triumphalist religion, because triumphalism necessarily implies a conversionist agenda and i don't subscribe to that: i'll leave off converting you for the moment because right now we need to save the planet. that for me is completely disingenuous.

Good point. So then triumphalism falls down for other reasons.

Quote:
He talks about the need, in certain cases, for Judaism to import files which have been lost to us Jews from other religions. We recognize they were lost and need to be regained.
now this i agree with, albeit i'm not sure i would see the difference here between reb zalman and, say, aryeh kaplan.

I don't feel a need to present Reb Zalman as a deviation from anything, Aryeh Kaplan, etc. I frankly don't understand why he wouldn't be considered a modern day luminary across the board of the Jewish spectrum.

I suspect that his critics may be, in general, like the Misnaged in the hasidic story, "The Baal Shem Tov and the Misnaged." And Reb Zalman would be like the Baal Shem tov. (Do you know this piece? It's not searchable on the internet. I will see if I can get a soft copy of Reb Zalman's translation of this story and then put it on the BLOG.)

except in the UK. clearly you've never seen british jews trying to do this sort of thing, it's terribly embarrassing. we're going to need some other stuff than this. perhaps we should import the file for the japanese tea ceremony.

Bravo. I love this image.

Seth said:
If mine is understood as being connected to a God with transcendent power and yours is understood as being a part of the immanent mystery of the psyche, we may, nonetheless be referring to the same things, albeit with different terms.

I only wish more people saw things that way. It would make dialogue much simpler.

Seth - thanks for your thoughtful responses to my questions. I hope you will give us more of your perspective in the near future.

By the way, have you read any Yeshayahu Leibowitz ? I am curious what you think ?

dauer said:
No, but I don't claim that ideas exist in some concrete form.
this is, i think, the weakness in your position, that you are setting an unreasonably high benchmark for consciousness that, in my opinion, basically collapses into a BIV argument. at least, that's how it seems to me, but i'm aware this may just be a case of axiomatic incompatibility based on my accepting some yesodei ha-Torah that you don't, which, by the standards of, say, kellner, is OK, albeit it wouldn't be very popular in, say, mea shearim.

At the very least G!d exists in the subjective experiences of individuals. And I'm not certain you'd put good music, fine art and love at the same level you'd put G!d.
perhaps not, but there are certainly people who would, so i would be open to the idea that such concepts could be used as control elements where i can see a valid connection, this is i believe part of dan dennett's phenomenological approach if i understand it correctly. which i might not.

I don't see Judaism as focused on dogma, but on peoplehood and action.
yes, but in terms of the meaning of the action your approach seems closer to kaplan - mordechai that is.

I think Judaism is healthiest when it's willing to question itself.
as do i.

Further, to say G!d is One does not imo need to be taken as, 'G!d is indivisible.'
really? i'd say it was really important in the sense of avoiding a sort of sefirotic heresy.

As someone who rejects revelatory truth I can't accept that, just because the Torah says something, it should be accepted as true.
yes, but what does that actually mean? because the Torah says something does not mean we can tell whether it is a statement of "X is true" or "this is your challenge, to understand whether X applies in this circumstance", which are two very different things. this is why i would reject simplistic statements about what the Torah says or doesn't say.

I don't think, based on my own subjective experience that I can generalize anything about G!d.
and nor do i. the only thing i'm working with here is heuristics, to use strictly precise terminology.

And that's most certainly a possibility that I'm open to, but not an assumption I'm willing to make.
umph. i would say it's not a barrier to understanding the concepts we're talking about.

Whether or not my fingers are unified within my hand, they are still separate fingers and still a part of me. I think for you it is more necessary to bring that back to the perspective of unity. I think an argument can be made for G!d's unity from most perspectives but that for some, it's also possible to acknowledge diversity.
ok, fair enough, but i think you're being a fecking hippy. so now i'm going to hit you with this kipper, OK?

As I say at the end of the post, I really don't know at all. I'm just pointing out other possibilities. I don't have faith in the particulars.
i'm aware of the possibilities - besides, i don't have "faith", i have "emunah" - that's a very different thing.

rebzgabbai said:
For example, he scolded elat Chayyim a few years ago because he felt that if a community that would require a mechitzah wanted to come there to learn about Paradigm Shift, they wouldn't be able to accommodate that. So the "progressive" groups struggle too to match Reb Zalman's vision. His vision is really one of klal yisroel and so Renewal must encompass all kinds from the Satmar's to the humanistic Judaism to really be renewal.
now that's interesting. this is one of the biggest issues i have had on my journey, trying to get across to people who are accustomed to seeing themselves as "progressive" that they're being actually very closed to diversity and have great difficulty with people who are very different from themselves. klal yisrael demands that we understand how to envisage and work with the entire *portfolio* of judaism, from secular to haredi and back again, not take the position that those who aren't with us must be left behind - in this respect, there is not much to choose between the position of reform and that of the satmars.

If you feel a pull to go to eastern traditions for new ideas, yaasher koch'cha. Please share your findings and bring them back to us Jews so we can learn and grow from you.
ok, but at some point the Kipper Of Sensibleness will still have to be brought out for the hippies, just as the Whiffle Bat Of Modernity will have to be brought out for the throwbacks. real issues cannot be glossed over with flowery protestations of togetherness.

Reb Zalman has made the case that religions are not going to evolve (nor would he wish they did) into a kind of Universalism; the particularism is key part, and not, as one might think, the part we need to get rid of to fix things. Leaving our particularistic practices, cuts off an important part for which there's a heart aspect, a nostalgia, a love that's built into our wiring.
an excellent point. the problems of universalism are very poorly understood by the great universalist religions - that is one thing that our particularism can really contribute.

I also particularly love the article where Reb Zalman does zikr with the Sufis too.
if i hadn't done zikr with sufis myself i'd never have understood what it was i wanted to find within judaism. fortunately i found it.

It seems to me that it would be possible, in theory, for a change in practice to be innovated / discovered and introduced by someone who does not believe in God.
i believe that this has already happened in several cases.

I frankly don't understand why he wouldn't be considered a modern day luminary across the board of the Jewish spectrum.
because about 60% of that jewish spectrum, if not more, doesn't even begin to understand what he's on about. they are still on horizon 1 stuff like whether the nw london eruv needs to rely on the kazayit of the chazon ish to be kosher or not, or whether gays can marry in synagogue.

I suspect that his critics may be, in general, like the Misnaged in the hasidic story, "The Baal Shem Tov and the Misnaged." And Reb Zalman would be like the Baal Shem tov. (Do you know this piece? It's not searchable on the internet. I will see if I can get a soft copy of Reb Zalman's translation of this story and then put it on the BLOG.)
yes, i know it from the old UK reform siddur study section - and it is pretty self-serving. the reality is that both the besht and the vilna gaon needed to work together, not argue about who was most important.

Avi1223 said:
But I have a question about some of the issues related to mysticism. Don't some of these approaches stand very much outside of Jewish tradition and in some cases aren't they on the interface of "superstition" or even "idolatry".
avi, you need to start a new thread on this!

btw, i have now obtained a copy of wilber's "a theory of everything" which i look forward to getting stuck into.

b'shalom

bananabrain

this is, i think, the weakness in your position, that you are setting an unreasonably high benchmark for consciousness that, in my opinion, basically collapses into a BIV argument.
I don't think it does. I don't think ideas exist independent of our own minds. They're attempts to catalog and/or explain things that may or may not exist independently themselves. I don't disagree, for example, that a=a. That's common sense. I would disagree if you told me that a=a has an independent existence.

The issue to me is whether G!d is referencing something that exists independently. Certainly, there are ideas and experiences which are connected with that label. That in itself doesn't mean that G!d has an existence beyond subjectivity. I think it is most likely, as you say, a case of axiomatic incompatibility.

yes, but in terms of the meaning of the action your approach seems closer to kaplan - mordechai that is.
That may be true. Personally the reason I reject Kaplan is that he discarded so much spirituality and myth. For me, active engagement with G!d is necessary, with the mythical and/or mystical depending on the individual. I don't see much point in spiritual practice if it's not connecting back to G!d. I just refuse to generalize from my experience of G!d about what G!d really is. As I experience things, G!d is a lived reality and extremely personal, not impersonal. Always has been for me.

I would sum up the levels of meaning of religious action for me as: the personal (refinement of character) and spiritual (theotropic) growth of the individual, the personal (pursuing justice) and spiritual growth of the community, identification with community through shared myth and ritual that fosters all of the above and maintains skeletal structures from which future generations can find their own way.

really? i'd say it was really important in the sense of avoiding a sort of sefirotic heresy.
I see that a separate issue. I think the main issue there is saying "This finite thing is G!d and this other finite thing isn't." If everything is G!d then "This is G!d and this other thing too is G!d." The totality is both One and many. If G!d is by definition something Greater than everything else, then He can't be just some things among many. That would mean there's something greater than G!d. However, that objection doesn't deal with the issue of human perspective as that is perceiving the problem from a different angle, whether G!d refers to something that has an independent existence.

yes, but what does that actually mean? because the Torah says something does not mean we can tell whether it is a statement of "X is true" or "this is your challenge, to understand whether X applies in this circumstance", which are two very different things. this is why i would reject simplistic statements about what the Torah says or doesn't say.
I don't like simplistic statements about what the Torah does or doesn't say either, and I do see the difference, but I don't see it as entirely relevant to what you were responding to. Whether or not something in the Torah can be understood as relative to certain situations, I still wouldn't accept something as true simply because the Torah is understood that way.

ok, fair enough, but i think you're being a fecking hippy. so now i'm going to hit you with this kipper, OK?
I don't think that's hippyish, just logical.

i'm aware of the possibilities - besides, i don't have "faith", i have "emunah" - that's a very different thing.
I don't mean that I'm making you aware of the possibilities, just that I'm not willing to assert one over the other.

How do you understand emunah vs faith? As I understand it, emunah is related to the idea of trust whereas faith has more to do with belief.

i have now obtained a copy of wilber's "a theory of everything" which i look forward to getting stuck into.
I like some of Wilber's ideas but his narcissism is very pervasive.

-- Dauer

Last edited:
Oh yeah, BB, I was hoping you'd comment on this:

I was protesting the theological basis, not agreeing with it. I do think an evidence-based position is limited though. It observes those who do not take an evidence-based position, if I understand it correctly.

I meant that, even if your evidence is the actions of a respected posek, the situations that you're pointing out, isn't that them acting against the way things are being done? And if you take their example in those situations, and don't take their example in others, is that then picking and choosing? And if I'm understanding the methodology incorrectly, could you explain in some greater detail?

That may be true. Personally the reason I reject Kaplan is that he discarded so much spirituality and myth. For me, active engagement with G!d is necessary, with the mythical and/or mystical depending on the individual. I don't see much point in spiritual practice if it's not connecting back to G!d. I just refuse to generalize from my experience of G!d about what G!d really is. As I experience things, G!d is a lived reality and extremely personal, not impersonal. Always has been for me.

Dauer, Do you agree that Kaplan has some unique and positive ideas ? Reconstructionism has been described to me as: ritually more conservative than reform and socially more liberal. Do you agree with that ? Also, Reconstructionism has done an excellent job with developing the community infrastructure. My understanding is that the Jewish Community Centers were started by Reconstructionists. It is currently believed by many that the Reform movement is moving toward more ritual. I personally think that this is temporal. I think Renewal has more innovative ideas. Incidentally, the ideas you were talking about at the interface of psychology and Renewal seem very leading edge to me.

Do you agree that Kaplan has some unique and positive ideas ?

Most definitely. I don't like his conceptualization of G!d but I do like some of his other ideas.

Reconstructionism has been described to me as: ritually more conservative than reform and socially more liberal. Do you agree with that ?

I don't think that's terribly descriptive, re: recon as they differ mostly imo in their theology and ideology. The fact that on average more ritually observant I think has to do with the fact that, because their ideology is more fleshed out, primarily those already interested and engaged with Judaism, wrestling with those questions and sharing general conclusions, become reconstructionists. Better to take some of their core ideas and put them together:

1. Tradition gets a vote but not a veto.

2. Mitzvot are viewed as folkways.

3. G!d is the power that makes for salvation (individual reconstructionists don't always agree with Kaplan on G!d, though they're generally naturalists. Recon today has been heavily influenced by renewal and is going through an identity crisis.)

4. Judaism's an evolving religious civilization.

5. The concept that Jews are chosen is completely rejected

6. Their synagogues are centers not just for Jewish religion, but also deal with culture. You can see the connection between their concept of a synagogue and the JCC's.

7. Liturgy is changed much more readily and radically than in Reform or Conservative Judaism.

I agree with 1, but I think it's necessary to include G!d in that process and that there be a clear halachic process for making that happen, even if the arrived at methodology would be rejected by some. I also agree with 4 but I don't think I mean it how Kaplan did. I think Kaplan intended that to include the cultural. For me, it simply means that Judaism is a tribal religion that's evolving over time.

Incidentally, the ideas you were talking about at the interface of psychology and Renewal seem very leading edge to me.

To me, too. But I think time will tell and I have no idea what we'll hear from it. The original name for integral halachah was psycho-halachic process but it was changed. The psycho- in psycho- halachah was meant to imply a greater focus on the individual's inner world and needs.

Dauer, some nice observations about Reconstructionism.

Most definitely. I don't like his conceptualization of G!d but I do like some of his other ideas.

I don't think that's terribly descriptive, re: recon as they differ mostly imo in their theology and ideology. The fact that on average more ritually observant I think has to do with the fact that, because their ideology is more fleshed out, primarily those already interested and engaged with Judaism, wrestling with those questions and sharing general conclusions, become reconstructionists. Better to take some of their core ideas and put them together:

I have heard this before and like the idea. I like the idea of "continuous improvement" more.

Incidentally, do you think that the simple generalization that I stated is not correct, in other words is Recon. ritually less conservative or socially more conservative than Reform ?

I like that idea. Does this imply that they are more important than in Reform ?

3. G!d is the power that makes for salvation (individual reconstructionists don't always agree with Kaplan on G!d, though they're generally naturalists. Recon today has been heavily influenced by renewal and is going through an identity crisis.).

Yes, I think this is a reflection of the importance of Kaplan and Zalman in their respective movements.

4. Judaism's an evolving religious civilization..

What exactly does this mean ? Does it mean that as it evolves there must be halachic change ?

5. The concept that Jews are chosen is completely rejected.

Right, choseness is an idea that I have had my concerns about. It seems like this idea relates to belief in the revelation, which is also an area of uncertainty for reform.

6. Their synagogues are centers not just for Jewish religion, but also deal with culture. You can see the connection between their concept of a synagogue and the JCC's..

Yes, I think the JCC concept was a brilliant paradigm shift.

7. Liturgy is changed much more readily and radically than in Reform or Conservative Judaism..

I am not familiar with this issue, can you explain ?

I also agree with 4 but I don't think I mean it how Kaplan did. I think Kaplan intended that to include the cultural. For me, it simply means that Judaism is a tribal religion that's evolving over time. .

I think the cultural part of Judaism is huge and growing. At my Reform Temple I estimate that 90% of the members are there for cultural reasons.

To me, too. But I think time will tell and I have no idea what we'll hear from it. The original name for integral halachah was psycho-halachic process but it was changed. The psycho- in psycho- halachah was meant to imply a greater focus on the individual's inner world and needs.

Maybe there should also be a "philo-halacha" which brings all three ideas together :)

Avi,

I like the idea of "continuous improvement" more.

How do you differentiate the two?

Incidentally, do you think that the simple generalization that I stated is not correct, in other words is Recon. ritually less conservative or socially more conservative than Reform ?

No, I think it's correct. I just don't think it says much about what Recon is.

I like that idea. Does this imply that they are more important than in Reform ?

I think they're just viewed a little differently in Reform because, as you say, observance of the mitzvot is actually higher in Recon. I think it may be more an issue of the language. Saying that the mitzvot are merely folkways is very strong language but the way they're treated in Recon if anything makes them more important.

I am not familiar with this issue, can you explain ?

If you ever look at one of the Recon siddurim, you'll notice that there are more changes to the liturgy. e.g. on p. 14 where ברכות השחר begins they offer, in addition to the traditional formula, these alternatives:

ברוכה את יה/נברך יה
השכינה/עין החיים
חי העולמ'ם/רוח העולם

Each line above corresponds with a part of the traditional formula. One thing they do that I do like, in English, is translate the Tetragrammaton differently depending on context. The Aleinu is another example where it's listed with a few alternatives to remove the ethnocentric bits, and the original version is in smaller print below. They also changed v'hayah of the shema (traditionally Deut. 11:13-21) and replaced it with Deut. 28:1-6 and 30:15-19. That to me is problematic especially because they give their substitution as the first option. If a person's not used to their siddur, they'll begin reading those passages (which begin והיה אמ–שמוע תשמע instead of והיה אמ–שמע תשמעו with the only 'audible' difference in those first words falling on the last one) and get confused. It could disrupt their kavannah during the shema. I think they would be better to include the non-standard version second instead of first.

Maybe there should also be a "philo-halacha" which brings all three ideas together

Which three ideas?

-- Dauer

Maybe there should also be a "philo-halacha" which brings all three ideas together

Avi,

Which three ideas?

-- Dauer

1) traditional halacha (I am not sure what I mean by this. I guess it would refer to Torah, Talmud, and all the halacha that has been accepted since).

2) Psycho-halacha - this is what you have been discussing in this thread, they are now calling it integral halacha.

3) Philo-halacha - if there is psycho-halacha, shouldn't there also be a philo version ? In the same sense that psychology influences halacha, doesn't philosophy as well ?

Just an outside the box idea. :)

Anything coming together with 1) without becoming 1) is a tall order these days.

dauer said:
I don't think ideas exist independent of our own minds. They're attempts to catalog and/or explain things that may or may not exist independently themselves.
but when you consider the BIV problem, we can have no assurance that anything actually exists independently or not. in fact, from a purely multidimensional PoV, an idea may be conceptual, existing elsewhere but not here; all we are doing is connecting to the dimension where its independent existence is a fact.

I don't disagree, for example, that a=a. That's common sense. I would disagree if you told me that a=a has an independent existence.
i'm saying is that it has a *potentially* independent existence, if we can agree on that that'll be as close to shared axioms as i think we can expect.

The issue to me is whether G!d is referencing something that exists independently. Certainly, there are ideas and experiences which are connected with that label. That in itself doesn't mean that G!d has an existence beyond subjectivity. I think it is most likely, as you say, a case of axiomatic incompatibility.
now there you might be right - i'd say, you see, that G!D Is the Context in which this multidimensional space exists, that is how i understand 'EIN-SOF ['AYIN]. it is the proverbial "secret of the alef". but anyway, now we've identified that, we can move on.

Personally the reason I reject Kaplan is that he discarded so much spirituality and myth.
yes, because he didn't think it was "real" or "true" - but neither do you. for me, the belief in the independent existence in all this stuff is precisely why i refrain from discarding it, because i believe it is far more "real" and "true" than things which i know to be human constructs, like reason.

I just refuse to generalize from my experience of G!d about what G!d really is.
that for me is what "community" is about and, in particular, the idea of the "covenantal community" as a general, shared experience of G!D and what G!D really Is.

I would sum up the levels of meaning of religious action for me as: the personal (refinement of character) and spiritual (theotropic) growth of the individual, the personal (pursuing justice) and spiritual growth of the community, identification with community through shared myth and ritual that fosters all of the above and maintains skeletal structures from which future generations can find their own way.
there i think we are in violent agreement.

If G!d is by definition something Greater than everything else, then He can't be just some things among many. That would mean there's something greater than G!d.
that's what you need tzimtzum for; although G!D Is Infinite, permeating every facet of space-time, or world-year-soul as the SY puts it, a "conceptual space" is Formed within the Infinite where G!D "retracts", or becomes "hidden" or "veiled".

I still wouldn't accept something as true simply because the Torah is understood that way.
that shouldn't be necessary unless it is an axiomatic matter, in the sense of a maimonidean "yesod ha-Torah".

I don't think that's hippyish, just logical.
kipper time, hippy! RESPECT MY AUTHORITAAAH.

How do you understand emunah vs faith? As I understand it, emunah is related to the idea of trust whereas faith has more to do with belief.
even more so - it can be called "confidence"; ie belief in outcomes. that is why a belief in the messianic age is important.

I like some of Wilber's ideas but his narcissism is very pervasive.
one gets that from the liner notes somewhat...

I meant that, even if your evidence is the actions of a respected posek, the situations that you're pointing out, isn't that them acting against the way things are being done? And if you take their example in those situations, and don't take their example in others, is that then picking and choosing? And if I'm understanding the methodology incorrectly, could you explain in some greater detail?
there are two good examples. one is the example of rav feinstein and the milk, where the perceived explanation (he's discarding that carton because the hechsher isn't halav yisrael) is not the same as the actual explanation (the milk was off). you cannot generalise from the second situation, whereas you can from the first. the second good example is lifnim min'shurat ha-din, where a statement that halav yisrael is "preferable" can be interpreted either as a) we've all got to keep that standard and non-HY is not acceptable or b) that is an additional stringency which you can keep if you want to be makhmir. this combines with various other principles, such as whether you're being needlessly stringent about a halakhah de-rabbanan, or whether you're being baselessly lenient about a halakhah de-oraita. and sometimes, of course, a posek will make a point in a particular way, such as the famous (i'm not if sure it's apocryphal or not) story of the london rabbi who ate a paper plate in the middle of his Shabbat morning drasha, then announced "you know, i wouldn't feed this to a dog", as a way of sending a clear message that people were being stupid to demand kasher-le-pessah disposables. the point is this - halakhah is very much more complicated than people imagine and the layers of complexity are very, very deep. i tend to avoid anything that might be interpreted as a psak halakhah because i am, as i've said many times, simply NOT COMPETENT in such matters. all i can do is talk about how i understand it. i wouldn't want anyone to start doing things because i do them. it's another thing in my own house, but even there mrs bb has "domain power".

this for me depends on how you understand "tradition". if you know how a beit din works, tradition in the sense of "minhag ha-maqom", or "taqqanat ha-kehillah", or any number of essentially pragmatic considerations are co-opted into the halakhic process with significant effects. but you're interpreting it here as tradition = halakhah, as if halakhah was monolithic. that, for me, is playing artscroll's game - and i'm buggered if i'm going along with that, or i'll end up not eating kitniot on pessah. halakhah isn't even monolithic within individual communities.

again, the halakhic process co-opts the idea of folkways as outlined above. sometimes, they'd have force of authority, sometimes not. the ben ish hai, the great baghdadi leader, was very much an innovator in this area, introducing some practices based on the norms of the kabbalists in jerusalem, rolling back some common errors that had grown up over centuries and, generally, cleaning house.

3. G!d is the power that makes for salvation
this is a meaningless formulation in my opinion. salvation from what? to what? with what purpose? what change is there as a result?

4. Judaism's an evolving religious civilization.
agree - except i'd include culture here.

presumably because it's based on some mistaken, internalised anti-semitic ideas about chauvinism.

6. Their synagogues are centers not just for Jewish religion, but also deal with culture. You can see the connection between their concept of a synagogue and the JCC's.
this is something i very much regret in the UK, although we are working on getting a JCC for london and already have a cultural centre. on the other hand, i also believe that this can cause the very ethnocentric/chauvinistic problems that point 5. was presumably intended to solve.

7. Liturgy is changed much more readily and radically than in Reform or Conservative Judaism.
probably because they don't really get the kabbalistic substructure of the liturgy, having dumped it all.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BB, what are your views about chosen-ness ? Why would there be "internal anti-semetic" ideas ?

presumably because it's based on some mistaken, internalised anti-semitic ideas about chauvinism.

BB said:
but when you consider the BIV problem, we can have no assurance that anything actually exists independently or not.

Of course we don't. I'm asserting that the common sense conclusion and the only that doesn't quickly end in stalemate is that there is something beyond our minds.

i'm saying is that it has a *potentially* independent existence, if we can agree on that that'll be as close to shared axioms as i think we can expect.

I wouldn't ever disagree with that, I'm just not comfortable making the affirmative assumption that there really is independent existence.

G!D Is the Context in which this multidimensional space exists, that is how i understand 'EIN-SOF ['AYIN].

Could you define Context for me as you're using it in this statement?

yes, because he didn't think it was "real" or "true" - but neither do you

I've never made that statement. I've said very specifically and multiple times that G!d is, at the very least, existing within the psyche. That does not mean that I believe G!d is only existing within the psyche. It means that G!d can be no less than subjective. As to whether G!d is real, I know G!d is real. I'm agnostic toward the truth bit. But even then, my experience of G!d is certainly true so long as we refer it back to the experience and don't assume independent existence. If I ever use stronger language than the 'I don't know' of agnosticism it's precisely because agnosticism isn't an answer. It's an insistence upon question. Over the past week I've found myself in fairly intense discussion with both skeptics and those very convinced of the supernatural. In each case I find I end up representing my position a little differently. It's like standing on a small mound of dirt. If a person enters your space from the right to talk to you, you naturally shift one foot to the left to maintain balance and vice-versa.

because i believe it is far more "real" and "true" than things which i know to be human constructs, like reason.

I'm skeptical toward both the approach of pure reason and your approach. I don't understand why so many people feel the need to assume one or the other is true. No, I take that back. I think it creates a sense of security for them.

that for me is what "community" is about and, in particular, the idea of the "covenantal community" as a general, shared experience of G!D and what G!D really Is.

With the diversity in Jewish theology I just don't see that. I think that has more to do with a shared G!d-language that encapsulates extremely varying perspectives. However, I think both you and I are referring to the same thing, just interpreting what it is differently.

that's what you need tzimtzum for; although G!D Is Infinite, permeating every facet of space-time, or world-year-soul as the SY puts it, a "conceptual space" is Formed within the Infinite where G!D "retracts", or becomes "hidden" or "veiled".

I sat in on a workshop that dealt with the function of the brain today. At one point the guy leading the workshop talked about the, I think it's called the associative construct. I may have the name wrong. It's that part of the brain that allows us to differentiate ourselves from everything around us. He brought up that neuroscientist who had a stroke during which it switched off. It can also switch off during peak spiritual experiences. The question that immediately came up for me, which he couldn't answer, is whether or not all animals share that construct or if there was some point in the evolution of life at which that developed. Thinking about it now, I'm also curious at what point it switches on for the fetus. That would tie the biology both into tzimtzum and into Freud's understanding of the mystical experience as a regression back to the state in the womb. It would also suggest, if tzimtzum and that idea are connected, and not all animals have that brain structure, that tzimtzum does not effect all life on the planet. I also wonder if there can be consciousness without the sense of separation. If not, then separation is necessary in order to consciously experience the lack of separation. I also wonder if there are some species where that structure is just less well defined, where consciousness has developed but there's a degree to which the individual being experiences a connection with its surroundings.

even more so - it can be called "confidence"; ie belief in outcomes. that is why a belief in the messianic age is important.

I don't see the importance of the belief, but for me the belief in an outcome is not necessary in order to work toward it.

there are two good examples.

What about the examples you gave previously regarding torat imecha?

this for me depends on how you understand "tradition". if you know how a beit din works, tradition in the sense of "minhag ha-maqom", or "taqqanat ha-kehillah", or any number of essentially pragmatic considerations are co-opted into the halakhic process with significant effects. but you're interpreting it here as tradition = halakhah, as if halakhah was monolithic.

But the methodology is monolithic. Including concepts like minhag hamakom doesn't change that. It's still contained within that system. I think it's important to take a meta-halachic approach, reflect and revise just I think one ought to look for room for improvement in any systematic approach, especially when, as in the case of halachah, there have been issues with retention of adherents to the methodology. That's not to insist that the lack of retention is always an issue with the system or that in this case it must be, but it is an insistence upon looking at both the individuals and the system for structural weaknesses. But that I think also comes down to whether or not one sees halachah as revelatory.

I also don't think the above concepts really co-opt the reconstructionist application of 'folkway' which will lead an individual to different applications than would be allowed by Orthodox halachah.

this is a meaningless formulation in my opinion. salvation from what? to what? with what purpose? what change is there as a result?

Agreed.

That is my sense, but knowing Kaplan's background I wonder if maybe it wasn't due to ignorance about Judaism, but just as a way to get rid of some of the fodder for antisemites.

probably because they don't really get the kabbalistic substructure of the liturgy, having dumped it all.

That might have been true originally but iirc the kol haneshama siddurim make references to some of that sub-structure and I do remember that they reinsert some of the explicit kabbalistic references that had previously been stripped out. In either case, I don't think your conclusion follows. They're not beginning with an assumption that the sub-structure is there from the start. Rather, for them it may be something that developed over time and may or may not involve the Divine. Whether the structure is kabbalistic or not wouldn't matter.

--Dauer

I asked Reb Zalman about his translation, "The Baal Shem and the Mitnaged" and he said it can be found in his new book which is just out called A Heart Afire.

In case you haven't seen the following, please read Reb Zalman's article as posted on an Orthodox site a couple of weeks ago. I think this is really interesting and it helps explain the different ways some of us see these things. As I read it, I was reminded of some of the discussions on this site between Dauer and bananabrain.

http://www.jewishideas.org/articles/challenge-reb-zalman-schachter-shalomi

Thanks for that.

Incidentally, early today I traveled to Keene, NH to speak on a panel of young adults with asperger's syndrome to a class that familiarized professionals with AS. One of the women there is enrolled in Aleph's rabbinical program. Hearing my own aspirations to pursue ordination, we ended up speaking a bit. It turns out she attended the Shavuos retreat with Reb Zalman that took place at EC the summer I was interning and recognized me. She mentioned an institute whose name begins, I think with a Z. I can't recall it but she said they have a weekly podcast that's quite good. Any idea what it might be? If it helps, she described herself figuratively as a 'black hat' within Renewal in response to my own distaste for some of the way the movement has gone. Thanks.

-- Dauer

Back