Partnership Minyanim

dauer

Reaction score
I went to check out a new shul on Friday night and while the traditional egal service was happening in the sanctuary, there was a partnership minyan in the vestry (Partnership minyan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.) I'd never heard of one and read a little into it. It seems like an interesting concept and I thought it would be a good jumping-off point for discussion.

It sounds like there was a lot going on there at once :p

The wiki article desribes substantial participation by women in the service. That makes sense to me.

Can you please explain the diffence between the partnership and the egalitarian service that you refer to in the sanctuary ? Don't women participate equally in the egalitarian service ?

I went to check out a new shul on Friday night and while the traditional egal service was happening in the sanctuary, there was a partnership minyan in the vestry (Partnership minyan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.) I'd never heard of one and read a little into it. It seems like an interesting concept and I thought it would be a good jumping-off point for discussion.

It is a busy shul. Saturday mornings they have both an egal minyan and a mechitza minyan, then everyone comes together for a sit-down kiddush. I haven't been on a Sat morning there yet. Was considering it this past Shabbos but needed to sleep in.

The traditional egal is most similar to a conservative minyan (full participation of women) whereas the partnership minyan goes to great lengths to stay within while it stretches the bounds of Orthodox halachah. That's why they often accept the chumra that there have to be both 10 men and 10 women and why women are allowed to participate in specific ways e.g. leading kabbalat shabbat, pesukei d'zimra, having the third aliyah, but not in others. The partnership minyan does not have egal seating. It has a mechitza. When I get back from my residency, I'll see when it's meeting again (it only meets once or twice a month) and maybe stop in to get a better idea of how specifically this partnership minyan operates.

Dauer, this sound like a very interesting transdenominational approach. I would like to learn more about this. Is there any information on the internet available about this synogogue ?

Thanks.

It is a busy shul. Saturday mornings they have both an egal minyan and a mechitza minyan, then everyone comes together for a sit-down kiddush. I haven't been on a Sat morning there yet. Was considering it this past Shabbos but needed to sleep in.

The traditional egal is most similar to a conservative minyan (full participation of women) whereas the partnership minyan goes to great lengths to stay within while it stretches the bounds of Orthodox halachah. That's why they often accept the chumra that there have to be both 10 men and 10 women and why women are allowed to participate in specific ways e.g. leading kabbalat shabbat, pesukei d'zimra, having the third aliyah, but not in others. The partnership minyan does not have egal seating. It has a mechitza. When I get back from my residency, I'll see when it's meeting again (it only meets once or twice a month) and maybe stop in to get a better idea of how specifically this partnership minyan operates.

Sometimes I think intrafaith dialogue is more complex than interfaith :D

and, to connect to another thread, that difficulty is something wilber tries to explain. xD

By all means, please connect the dots...

Is that because the skeptics relate better to the other skeptics....

and the fundamentalists relate better to the fundamentalists :confused::D:D

and, to connect to another thread, that difficulty is something wilber tries to explain. xD

Essentially. I find the way he lays it all out problematic, but the useful bit is seeing the way people interact within different paradigms of thought and how two people from different religions can, if they're working within the same paradigm, relate better to each other than with co-religionists operating within a different paradigm.

that's interesting, i suppose i'd agree with that, intrafaith dialogue being one of the harder things to do. unfortunately, the hierarchy implicit in AQAL does rather presuppose that the more "progressive" are right.

b'shalom

bananabrain

That's one of the problematic aspects I find too. It tries to say that all of the levels are important, but it's still asserting a progression. It seems like the progression is initially assumed and then read into multiple disciplines.

that's interesting, i suppose i'd agree with that, intrafaith dialogue being one of the harder things to do. unfortunately, the hierarchy implicit in AQAL does rather presuppose that the more "progressive" are right.

I think with mutual respect in interfaith dialogue there does not have to be a right or wrong. Whomever learns the most is the winner. :D

Back