The great year

Why Earth's Magnetic Field Flip-Flops

A new hypothesis on the origins of Earth's magnetic field could shed light on the reason it flip-flops

Seems to be a hypothesis as well.
They base the dates on the present geological movements that they have been recording, but as the events in the eastern tip of africa have shown, their estimates aren't that accurate. The rift that formed in 7 weeks should have taken by geological standards something like 500,00 to 700,000 years, so they missed that, I guess they will have to rewrite their textbooks now.

Why Earth's Magnetic Field Flip-Flops

A new hypothesis on the origins of Earth's magnetic field could shed light on the reason it flip-flops

Seems to be a hypothesis as well.
They base the dates on the present geological movements that they have been recording, but as the events in the eastern tip of africa have shown, their estimates aren't that accurate. The rift that formed in 7 weeks should have taken by geological standards something like 500,00 to 700,000 years, so they missed that, I guess they will have to rewrite their textbooks now.

Sorry Shawn, you lost me...what do you mean?

Aren't there two theories out there? One about a rogue planet called Nibiru, and another about a rogue star called Nemesis? Couldn't this be a mix of the two theories? In any event, I find it ironic that some iron core planet five times the size of Earth, and/or a brown dwarf the size of Jupiter would be any where near the solar system, let alone have an affect on the apparent long time stability of the solar system. And if it is supposed to affect the solar system by 2012, it seems to me that we would be able to see it by now.

After all, we picked up a planetoid past Pluto, and it isn't much more than the size of our moon.

Finally, if it was a "black hole", we would notice/see gravitational disturbances in our own system, even now.

One more point to ponder: Our Sun, had the lowest number of sun spots in 2008, than any other time since 1954. It seems to me that the approach of a strong magnetic/gravetaic body would in fact induce more sun spots, not less.

just some thoughts.

There are lots of theories floating around these days and this is another of them.
I am not promoting it, I just find it of interest and plausible and thought it might be interesting to talk about, maybe churning up some facts of value, that is unless one wishes to discuss other things or just put this idea down.

I have read a bit about the niburu and have read just a blurb about nemesis.
The binary star theory doesn't have much to do with 2012 mayan ideas, that has more to do with our solar system crossing over the galactic plane which is occurring now.
It takes years to go from one side of the galactic plane to the other.
Imagine a dinner plate as being the galaxy, looking at it on edge, we are one one side of it (bottom) and are slowly moving to the other side (top)
The galaxy is flattened out that way and the forces that hold it together are more concentrated at the midpoint.
We are supposed to be at that midpoint at 2012.

As for the sunspot thing, perhaps the opposite is true.
We don't really know as this is all relatively new territory.

There are lots of theories floating around these days and this is another of them.
I am not promoting it, I just find it of interest and plausible and thought it might be interesting to talk about, maybe churning up some facts of value, that is unless one wishes to discuss other things or just put this idea down.

I have read a bit about the niburu and have read just a blurb about nemesis.
The binary star theory doesn't have much to do with 2012 mayan ideas, that has more to do with our solar system crossing over the galactic plane which is occurring now.
It takes years to go from one side of the galactic plane to the other.
Imagine a dinner plate as being the galaxy, looking at it on edge, we are one one side of it (bottom) and are slowly moving to the other side (top)
The galaxy is flattened out that way and the forces that hold it together are more concentrated at the midpoint.
We are supposed to be at that midpoint at 2012.

As for the sunspot thing, perhaps the opposite is true.
We don't really know as this is all relatively new territory.
Agreed, that's why they are called "theories". We lack credible evidence to advance them any further.

Yup, but I thought some of these learned scholars and pundits may have a few more crumbs to add, or other info.
In any case it makes to me, for better conversation than did obama have a birth certificate, or isn't Jesus or Mohammad great.

A couple of titbits I got while perusing the New Scientist website today:

THIS is a tale of two spacecraft. Pioneer 10 was launched in 1972; Pioneer 11 a year later. By now both craft should be drifting off into deep space with no one watching. However, their trajectories have proved far too fascinating to ignore.
That's because something has been pulling - or pushing - on them, causing them to speed up. The resulting acceleration is tiny, less than a nanometre per second per second. That's equivalent to just one ten-billionth of the gravity at Earth's surface, but it is enough to have shifted Pioneer 10 some 400,000 kilometres off track. NASA lost touch with Pioneer 11 in 1995, but up to that point it was experiencing exactly the same deviation as its sister probe. So what is causing it?
Nobody knows. Some possible explanations have already been ruled out, including software errors, the solar wind or a fuel leak. If the cause is some gravitational effect, it is not one we know anything about. In fact, physicists are so completely at a loss that some have resorted to linking this mystery with other inexplicable phenomena.
Bruce Bassett of the University of Portsmouth, UK, has suggested that the Pioneer conundrum might have something to do with variations in alpha, the fine structure constant. Others have talked about it as arising from dark matter - but since we don't know what dark matter is, that doesn't help much either. "This is all so maddeningly intriguing," says Michael Martin Nieto of the Los Alamos National Laboratory. "We only have proposals, none of which has been demonstrated."
Nieto has called for a new analysis of the early trajectory data from the craft, which he says might yield fresh clues. But to get to the bottom of the problem what scientists really need is a mission designed specifically to test unusual gravitational effects in the outer reaches of the solar system. Such a probe would cost between $300 million and $500 million and could piggyback on a future mission to the outer reaches of the solar system
"An explanation will be found eventually," Nieto says. "Of course I hope it is due to new physics - how stupendous that would be. But once a physicist starts working on the basis of hope he is heading for a fall." Disappointing as it may seem, Nieto thinks the explanation for the Pioneer anomaly will eventually be found in some mundane effect, such as an unnoticed source of heat on board the craft.

And...

IF YOU travel out to the far edge of the solar system, into the frigid wastes beyond Pluto, you'll see something strange. Suddenly, after passing through the Kuiper belt, a region of space teeming with icy rocks, there's nothing.
Astronomers call this boundary the Kuiper cliff, because the density of space rocks drops off so steeply. What caused it? The only answer seems to be a 10th planet. We're not talking about Quaoar or Sedna: this is a massive object, as big as Earth or Mars, that has swept the area clean of debris.
The evidence for the existence of "Planet X" is compelling, says Alan Stern, an astronomer at the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado. But although calculations show that such a body could account for the Kuiper cliff (Icarus, vol 160, p 32), no one has ever seen this fabled 10th planet.
There's a good reason for that. The Kuiper belt is just too far away for us to get a decent view. We need to get out there and have a look before we can say anything about the region. And that won't be possible for another decade, at least. NASA's New Horizons probe, which will head out to Pluto and the Kuiper belt, is scheduled for launch in January 2006. It won't reach Pluto until 2015, so if you are looking for an explanation of the vast, empty gulf of the Kuiper cliff, watch this space.

Back