How do we identify a prophet?

According to Bahá'u'lláh , all of the Manifestations of God have the same metaphysical nature and the same spiritual stature. There is absolute equality among Them. No one of Them is superior to another.

Yes, but wasn't Baha'u'llah also claiming to be a prophet? In which case, elevating himself to the same position as all those who came before might be seen as a tad egotistic. :)

Of course, that's presuming I haven't misunderstood his claims?

Yes, but wasn't Baha'u'llah also claiming to be a prophet? In which case, elevating himself to the same position as all those who came before might be seen as a tad egotistic. :)

Of course, that's presuming I haven't misunderstood his claims?
Well yes, but grafting oneself on to an existing tradition, in theocratic retrospect, is the way things have always been done. The newer the cult the more it must embrace the burgeoning pantheon of established primary and derivative deities and their messengers. Jesus does it. Mo does it. The Bab did it. It's only syncretic in retrospect.

Chris

Totally agree its all about who isn't a prophet rather than who is.

I knew one of Edgar Cayce's patients. The patient (no longer living) absolutely insisted that Cayce had supernaturaly obtained the specific information needed to perform surgery upon his gumline, and that Cayce had saved his teeth. I think I would disagree about it, though it isn't mine to decide and the fact is my friend hadn't been taking care of his teeth. The surgery likely took place previous to my birth, however I was told what happened. This is what Cayce did: 1. Cut the gums back near the gumline. 2. Had the man brush for the rest of his life with a certain bark extract which I don't remember the name off. Ok, so my friend still had his teeth when he died at 7x years of age. Criticisms? Oh yes. Where is the 'Prophecy' in this situation?

First, nothing permanent was added to the human race by this event nor did it enhance the knowledge of things supernatural. The ultimate result is that the Heritage store on Laskin Rd. Virginia Beach, Va USA still sells lots of Aura-Glow skin products, sea salt, and almonds. Also they sell culty books like Hiram's Key. That's it! Woop-de-doo! The biggest result is that there is now a moldy library in Virginia Beach housed in a building built long ago for the A.R.E. (Association for Research and Enlightenment) that attracts tourists from all over the world. The library was, when I visited, full of old books. Having a library built is something, but in the prophecy department that is just a consolation prize.

how do you identify another as a prophet?

only in hindsight...

how do you identify yourself as a prophet?

has to be a)gnosis, and of course, b) a msg with that gnosis, something worth imparting and c) some future predictions

otherwise, not a prophet...

Back