14 Bible Verses That Indicate Jesus Is Not God

The manual says push the button and the screen lights up ...

It would be a fool to carry on otherwise?
See! That is what I/0 is all about (the on/off switch)... A Catholic in the Christian forum providing an answer that applies to all faiths, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Jainism, Buddhim, Taoism, Sikh...atheism,. All of em! Poifect!

Who is Jesus? What is Christ? Christians have been debating for centuries about the nature of Christ’s mission, his role in our life, and the substance of his personality.

Some declare that Jesus is God, the creator, himself. In their view, God took on flesh, departed His heavenly throne and came down to live among men. Thus, while Jesus was on the earth, God was not present on His throne in heaven.

Yet this doesn’t correspond to Jesus prayer, “Our Father, who art in Heaven.” It would seem to confirm that Jesus is not God himself.

Some declare that Jesus is just a man, certainly a good man, but no more than a man. In their view, Jesus was good and wise. His mission was to teach us about the truth. We observe Jesus displaying traits of his humanity in Mark 9:21, Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered. If Jesus were God himself, would he have to ask this question?

But could a mere man raise the dead? Jesus called Lazarus out of the tomb. There have been many good men in history, but could they even begin to imagine how to raise the dead? Jesus did many more things that seem to indicate that he was not a mere man like you or me. What then, a prophet?

Many see Jesus as one of the prophets. Certainly in Caesarea Philippi and in Judea when Jesus asked, “who do the people say that I am,” many responded that Jesus was a prophet. Many of the Islamic faith have a deep respect for Jesus as a prophet. Many of the things that Jesus did were similar to the works of the prophets of old. Jesus called for repentance. He warned of dire consequences if repentance was not forthcoming. Like Elijah, he raised the dead and performed other impressive miracles.

But Jesus said and did things that no prophet had ever done before. Mark 2:5-7:

When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven." Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, "Why does this fellow talk like that? He's blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?"

Who can forgive sins except God? Jesus forgave sins. No prophet can forgive sins and certainly no ordinary man. Then Jesus must be God! We are back to square one.

The voice of scripture describes Jesus as all of these. It is our own inability to reconcile the relationship of divinity with humanity that stands at the heart of our confusion about the nature of Christ. This inability is another manifestation of the historical enmity between the spiritual and physical components of each human. Paul describes this plight in Romans 7:22-25:

For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

The human experience with the flesh is one in which defiance of God’s Will is the norm. Jesus, in the Garden of Gethsemane, asserted: “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” In the Christian view, therefore, for Christ to take on flesh as a human was extraordinary.

For most Christians, Jesus stands as both God and man. He is integrated into the Trinitarian construct of God the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Ghost. Inevitably, in pursuit of understanding Jesus’ divinity, theology has subtly de-emphasized his human side. Thus, the “man” Jesus is a mystery, as is the expression of his divinity, increasingly through time, more detached and otherworldly

You quite hit the nail on the head. We have a hard time understanding Jesus as both 100% man and 100% God. To us, it doesn't "add up" (literally).

But when we grasp this, the true depth of what God did for us on the cross begins to become clear...He turned His back on Himself, after coming to earth and laying aside His own will and power, trusting in Himself up in heaven for every word and action He would perform.

That probably still sounds like utter nonsense, but He gave us a concrete image of what/who Jesus is, in both His natures, which can be found in Acts.

After giving the longest recorded message in the bible, this is what Stephen sees before he is stoned to death: "Now when they heard this, they were cut to the quick, and they began gnashing their teeth at him. But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; and he said, 'Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.' But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears and rushed at him with one impulse."
(Acts 7:54‭-‬57)

Something about this should immediately strike you as odd...Jesus is always says to be SITTING at the right hand of God, not standing. So who is this Jesus who is standing at the right hand of God? Well, it's the human side of Him. That's His job...His divine nature could not die on a cross, so His divine nature could not possibly stand before God (the imagery of "standing at the right hand" is synonymous with a person pleading their case in court before a judge). But His human nature could die, did die. His human nature is our mediator, always standing before God, Himself and the Father, pleading OUR case before the judge! And Stephen was shown this, and it was recorded for us so that those who had eyes to see and ears to hear would find understanding and divine encouragement in this knowledge.

Side note: only two people in the bible ever had their face "shine like an angel": the first was Moses, who's face shined so bright (coming down mount Sinai and from the presence of God) that he had to wear a veil so that he did not frighten everyone.

The second was Stephen, who then begins his message recounting the history of Moses, the very one he was falsely accused of blaspheming. No wonder the entire room went deadly quiet and Stephen had their full attention! That is, until he called them out, of course.

But Stephen never got a veil for his face: the old covenant began with a shining face who's glow diminished over time and, eventually, disappeared entirely. The new covenant's beginning was marked with the same glowing of a face, but this one shines for all eternity because the perfect sacrifice to end all sacrifice had come.

Chills, it all gives me chills!

Reactions: RJM
I guess me and you are on the same page. Now I don’t feel so lonesome.

Neither do I feel so lonesome too. I thought I was the only Jew around. But hey! When Elijah complained that they had killed all the Prophets, HaShem proved to Elijah that He had more than 7,000 from among the true prophets who had not bent their knees to Baal.

Do you ever wonder whether or not these questions were asked, and answered, millennia ago?

Do you ever wonder whether or not these questions were asked, and answered, millennia ago?
Sure...but we now have new information...

A.couple hundred years ago we didn't know about germs...operations are more successful now with today's knoedge and we don't still use the same curriculum in modern medical schools.(although leaches keep trying to make a comeback)

I think reinvestigating old thought with new imformation is valuable....even if just to prove the old.codgers right yet again...

But we don't stand on their words or conclusions just because they had a few insightful moments or because they are dead.

Sure...but we now have new information...

A.couple hundred years ago we didn't know about germs...operations are more successful now with today's knoedge and we don't still use the same curriculum in modern medical schools.(although leaches keep trying to make a comeback)

I think reinvestigating old thought with new imformation is valuable....even if just to prove the old.codgers right yet again...

But we don't stand on their words or conclusions just because they had a few insightful moments or because they are dead.
But this thread is theology-centered, nothing in modern science has added anything to "if Jesus was the Most High who was He praying to?"
Don't be so contrary! :p

Sure...but we now have new information ... I think reinvestigating old thought with new information is valuable....even if just to prove the old.codgers right yet again... But we don't stand on their words or conclusions just because they had a few insightful moments or because they are dead.
Well sometimes we do we do ... 'germs' etc., is, in this context, comparing fish and bicycles.

Sometimes the insights of antiquity have not been surpassed.

The point is, there is no 'new information' and this is a rehash of 'old information' with an apparent disregard of the answers to these questions that were made 1500 years ago!

Welcome, everyone, to this week's edition of our favourite game show, Guess The Point. This week's contestant is Soleil10. Tell us, Soleil, because we're all very much intrigued: What is the point of posting 14 verses that indicate that Jesus Christ and God are not identical beings? Particularly on a forum where most people won't argue, because they believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?

I have had many wonderful conversations with other Christians...but one thing that hurts is when one of stumble upon the topic of God being Jesus! Accidentally, during a discussion it comes up and after angering many supposed Christians, I have finally googled the topic and this post came up! I intend to share the verses in this forum with those who hate me for bursting their bubble...but it is sad that so many Christians have been brought up to completely disregard any verse from Christ that proves he is not God. I was actually figuring on running across the one where he says not to pray to him...and I've hit a treasure trove of verses!!

He is sitting on the right-hand side of God.
Does this (to you) imply an anthropomorphic being? Male? Human sized? On a throne? Can you draw me a picture? Stick figures would do. I'd just like to get an idea of what this statement you made means to you.

The distinct nature of Jesus while on this earth and now in heaven is certainly beyond our human capability to fully understand, but what is certain is Jesus pointing us to the Father every time. His role is certain, but so is that of the Father and the Holy Spirit.

What concerns me is the limited focus on the role of the son at the risk of ignoring the father and the Holy Spirit. While I know the Holy Spirit translates for us, how can we continue to focus on Jesus alone if we are hearing from God, the Father through the Holy Spirit? I can see making that mistake a few dozen times at most, but eventually, a true believer will hear from the Father through the Holy Spirit, what is the truth.

The distinct nature of Jesus while on this earth and now in heaven is certainly beyond our human capability to fully understand, but what is certain is Jesus pointing us to the Father every time. His role is certain, but so is that of the Father and the Holy Spirit.

What concerns me is the limited focus on the role of the son at the risk of ignoring the father and the Holy Spirit. While I know the Holy Spirit translates for us, how can we continue to focus on Jesus alone if we are hearing from God, the Father through the Holy Spirit? I can see making that mistake a few dozen times at most, but eventually, a true believer will hear from the Father through the Holy Spirit, what is the truth.
I agree with you on this but I think it's a spiritual growth that allows you to know the Father as you intimately learn who Jesus is in your first experiences with Him. We learn who Jesus is first. We can relate to Him as He is the express image of the invisible God. He walked the world as a human and suffered as we suffer tempted as we are tempted. My appreciation and deep love for the Spirit and the Father came later as I grew spiritually. I've learned how the Spirit talks to me.. He speaks in my gut and uses scripture to speak to me. He always points me to Jesus and His love for me. The more I studied scripture the more the Father is revealed to me and His love for me. As much as Jesus is written into every part of Scripture so is the Father.

I agree with you on this but I think it's a spiritual growth that allows you to know the Father as you intimately learn who Jesus is in your first experiences with Him. We learn who Jesus is first. We can relate to Him as He is the express image of the invisible God. He walked the world as a human and suffered as we suffer tempted as we are tempted. My appreciation and deep love for the Spirit and the Father came later as I grew spiritually. I've learned how the Spirit talks to me.. He speaks in my gut and uses scripture to speak to me. He always points me to Jesus and His love for me. The more I studied scripture the more the Father is revealed to me and His love for me. As much as Jesus is written into every part of Scripture so is the Father.
One can't help but admire your faith .

One can't help but admire your faith .
That is what I meant by a couple dozen conversations with God, what you are recalling, spiritual maturity. But if the church she belong to, doesn’t make that connection, maturity is significantly stifled, where it could be significantly encouraged.

Back