A gay church?

No it is not a disorder.
And the only thing that is creating division between people, is attitude like yours and intolerance to others.
You do a fantastic job of using your own words to attack people.

As an example you are twisting my words to make it an attack on people for whatever reason.

You wrote a sentence three words long.

I quoted your sentence—all three words, in the same order—and then wrote about a tendency shared by all.

And you call that twisting words and an attack?

Just who has the disorder here, Soleil? I have my suspicions.

Um, yeah. It's used as an excuse. Even if you consider homosexuality to be a sin, we all sin. So why fight over only one type of sin within a congregation rather than loving them and welcoming them, just as we love and welcome other sinners (including ourselves)?

Homosexuality isn't what is divisive- it is forgetting that Jesus sat with, ate with, loved, and saved sinners. If we are to be Christ-like, then we are to focus on our own issues while offering our service (not our condemnation) to others.

This is why more and more people are leaving Christianity. The actions of congregants are not aligned with the actions and teachings of Christ. Christ taught forgiveness, love, healing, and sharing. Just as in Jesus' day he was seen as threatening in his liberality toward all people, those people who seek to emulate him today are also often seen as too liberal.

The acceptance and promotion of homosexuality has been the cherry on the cake which broke apart this denomination. Those who leave want to follow the bible.
There has been many legal suits fighting for property and real estate. The congregations saying that it belonged to them while the Episcopal church saying otherwise.
Homosexuality is divisive
Folks are leaving to follow their interpretation of the bible.

Homosexuality is not divisive (it actually brings people together!) discriminatory views on homosexuality are divisive.

Keep banging the drum there sunshine...

Um, yeah. It's used as an excuse. Even if you consider homosexuality to be a sin, we all sin. So why fight over only one type of sin within a congregation rather than loving them and welcoming them, just as we love and welcome other sinners (including ourselves)?
Homosexuality isn't what is divisive- it is forgetting that Jesus sat with, ate with, loved, and saved sinners. If we are to be Christ-like, then we are to focus on our own issues while offering our service (not our condemnation) to others.This is why more and more people are leaving Christianity. The actions of congregants are not aligned with the actions and teachings of Christ. Christ taught forgiveness, love, healing, and sharing. Just as in Jesus' day he was seen as threatening in his liberality toward all people, those people who seek to emulate him today are also often seen as too liberal.
Jesus said "go and sin no more" He did not say continue to sin, everything is OK.

Folks are leaving to follow their interpretation of the bible.
Homosexuality is not divisive (it actually brings people together!) discriminatory views on homosexuality are divisive.Keep banging the drum there sunshine...
You may have not noticed but the Christians you are badgering are the ones who are leaving the episcopal church not the other way around.
682 congregations and who knows how many members of others ?
That is not chump change

Jesus said "go and sin no more" He did not say continue to sin, everything is OK.

So what do you say about the other sins continuously being perpetrated in people's lives?

Homosexuality is certainly not the only sin (if indeed you believe it is a sin) at work in the world today.

Why would Jesus say "go and sin no more." Only to have billions and billions of people sin all through their lives?

Was Jesus unable to understand the nature of mankind?

The problem here is these personal aspects are very different. Sexual orientation does not determine ones spiritual proclivity, just as one's spiritual proclivity does not determine one's sexual preference.

The OP seeks to elevate sexuality to the primary position of one's life priorities. My spirituality is my highest priority. How I express my sexuality falls far below that.

While you may have the best intentions, I'm afraid you're perpetuating the stereotype of gays that sees them driven primarily by their sexuality, which is a false assumption.

We don't need a gay church. We need to allow two consenting adults to associate with who they choose. And how people express their sexuality in private is really up to the couple involved and no one else's business.

I said gay church; not gay Bible! :)

A church is many things, and a place to worship is just one of those things. More than anything else, a church is a community (that's what the word's literal translation is, yeah? Congregation, or community of people). And as long as institutional churches stick to the assertion, implicitly or explicitly, that homosexuality is an intolerable lifestyle then I'm not sure how any but the most God-like homosexual people will ever feel part of said community.

I wrote my OP with the expectation that it would indeed be misunderstood in this way, but my intention was not to raise sexuality to a position of spiritual importance, because I believe sexuality is categorically physical. I didn't mean will homosexual people be able to worship more effectively in a gay church? I meant what are the implications of this concept?

To qualify further, I'm thinking in terms of a group of homosexual Christians who get fed up and start their own church; not an "Old South" style separation into segregated worship. Nice allusion by the way, Q. ;)

Back