Happy Fourth!

On an interfaith site - yes.

There is ample opportunity for individuals across a string of faiths to simply condemn one another to "hell", but it wouldn't be very constructive.

Heck, most discussions about what makes someone a "real Christian" can also easily end up with all the "christians" condemning one another to "hell".

Therefore you shouldn't really throw stones, as the moment you start condemning people for being un-Christian, other Christians would then be open to condemn you.

All of which is utterly irrelevant in an Interfaith community, and hence why it is best avoided.

After all, you think you know "the Truth", but you are surrounded by people who also think they know "The Truth" - and every single answer is different and often conflicting.

Hence the reason to encourage dialogue on our similarities, rather than differences.

It also takes a good dash of humour and a little self restraint. :)

I completely understand your point of view. However, discussing Christianity while shying away from God and His Word (or only discussing the parts of it you like...) is rather a waste of time.

This site was set up so that Christians can talk to other Christians. If those of other faiths are going to insist on coming to the Christianity page, it is beyond reason for them to insist having it their way.

Or is it?

It's more that Christians can talk not simply to other Christians, but also to persons of other faith.

But more specifically, any persons of any faith, any position of belief, can talk to others willing to discuss.

I think there may be a key misunderstanding here, in that you've been a member for some time, but haven't been around for a while. The site has undergone some key changes in ideals and even name since then (once was comparative-religion.com, now is interfaith.org).

Originally, there was an idea that each faith board would serve as a "walled garden" to allow a kind of fellowship to develop between people of any faith, who would then answer questions from interested parties, and discuss matters of interest between themselves.

But it didn't work.

All it resulted in was people feeling cramped in what they were allowed to discuss, and there were complaints that the system should be freed up.

So the walled garden approach is no longer in practice.

However, there is a remarkable mix of individuals on the forum, and even more so, despite a few grains of sand in the oyster, generally the community is a lot more respectful these days.

Sure, sometimes passions may run a bit, and people may disagree - but if compared to the make up of the forums a few years ago, I think it's gotten a lot milder.

So if people do make comments in different threads, it tends not to be disrespectful and antagonistic on purpose, and much more constructive by bringing different view points in, which will be offered as a different perspective.

As a general rule of thumb, anyhow. :)

Ok, i looked up the link regards to the Rainbow thing. At first it sounded like a heap of fun, but now Im thinking Hmmmmm, thousands of people,(?) latrines? Hmmm, I think Ill stick with the traditional backyard bbq. Dont get me wrong, I love nature, its just the thousands of people i think i would try to avoid.

Happy fourth of July, I hope next year I will be there to celebrate it.!!!!

Sure, sometimes passions may run a bit, and people may disagree - but if compared to the make up of the forums a few years ago, I think it's gotten a lot milder.

This is the most intelligent, engaging and well-mannered forum that I've ever been a part of.

Patti.. Ive changed my tactics here.. I pick my battles. :) Ive decided that I wont bring out the big guns until salvation is being mucked up. Because in the end...literally... thats all that matters. Salvation.

Happy Independence Day everyone :)

Patti.. Ive changed my tactics here.. I pick my battles. :) Ive decided that I wont bring out the big guns until salvation is being mucked up. Because in the end...literally... thats all that matters. Salvation.

Faithfulservant is someone I'd class as a role model for all conservative Christians - she never compromises her beliefs, but she never challenges others just because she could.

Her self-restraint and composure, frankly, puts most of the rest of the community to shame.

Conservatives are easily stereotyped as wanton aggressors with Liberals as conscientious defenders against that - Faithfulservant completely turns that around.

I know we don't agree on a lot of theological details, but it's always great to have you around, FF. :)

I think there may be a key misunderstanding here, in that you've been a member for some time, but haven't been around for a while. The site has undergone some key changes in ideals and even name since then (once was comparative-religion.com, now is interfaith.org). (My mistake, sorry)

But it didn't work.( It probably is much easier...)

So the walled garden approach is no longer in practice. (My mistake)

Sure, sometimes passions may run a bit, and people may disagree - but if compared to the make up of the forums a few years ago, I think it's gotten a lot milder. (lukewarm? neither hot nor cold)

I was in a pretty serious auto accident in 1985, before that I just lived and the only thing that really mattered was just “living”. After my mother died in the early nineties, I got involved in inter-faith. It was great; I was involved with all sorts of spiritual healing, regularly went to a Hindu ashram (Sebastian, FL), and finally settled on Buddhism. I explored, but I never could be at peace with it; while it took me so many wonderful places, it always stopped just short of where I wanted to go. But I was very happy with it, had a great life, and pretty much settled with the idea that no one could really “know.”

Then my father died in 2003. I wasn’t really searching for truth, but like the old bumper stickers say “I found it” (actually, “It found me”). A friend was attending a Presbyterian church and I was attending a New-Age church. They both had some really great people, but I liked his better, so I wanted to join. Well, in order to join, you had to be Christian. I figured “why not, I have done everything else?”

I started reading the bible (at least I could do this Christian-thing right), understood and learned with a truly open mind. I struggled with many of the same issues that a lot of the people here are, especially the part where it says there is only one way. The bible led me to Jesus, and He changed my heart and my life. So I knew the bible was true. It says that the path to a right relationship with God can only be found in Jesus. This was not a problem for me once I learned that this way was available, for free, to everyone. Only those who refused to enter would be left behind to live the eternity THEY chose. If they learn nothing else, the Lord God DOES NOT CONDEMN!!

You have all decided to be tolerant of every “truth” except that there might be only one truth.

Faithfulservant is someone I'd class as a role model for all conservative Christians - she never compromises her beliefs, but she never challenges others just because she could.

Her self-restraint and composure, frankly, puts most of the rest of the community to shame.

Conservatives are easily stereotyped as wanton aggressors with Liberals as conscientious defenders against that - Faithfulservant completely turns that around.

I know we don't agree on a lot of theological details, but it's always great to have you around, FF. :)

Thanks Brian but seriously I just hate fighting or arguing about God. It makes it somehow less than just telling everyone how much He loves them.

I was in a pretty serious auto accident in 1985, before that I just lived and the only thing that really mattered was just “living”. After my mother died in the early nineties, I got involved in inter-faith. It was great; I was involved with all sorts of spiritual healing, regularly went to a Hindu ashram (Sebastian, FL), and finally settled on Buddhism. I explored, but I never could be at peace with it; while it took me so many wonderful places, it always stopped just short of where I wanted to go. But I was very happy with it, had a great life, and pretty much settled with the idea that no one could really “know.”

Then my father died in 2003. I wasn’t really searching for truth, but like the old bumper stickers say “I found it” (actually, “It found me”). A friend was attending a Presbyterian church and I was attending a New-Age church. They both had some really great people, but I liked his better, so I wanted to join. Well, in order to join, you had to be Christian. I figured “why not, I have done everything else?”

I started reading the bible (at least I could do this Christian-thing right), understood and learned with a truly open mind. I struggled with many of the same issues that a lot of the people here are, especially the part where it says there is only one way. The bible led me to Jesus, and He changed my heart and my life. So I knew the bible was true. It says that the path to a right relationship with God can only be found in Jesus. This was not a problem for me once I learned that this way was available, for free, to everyone. Only those who refused to enter would be left behind to live the eternity THEY chose. If they learn nothing else, the Lord God DOES NOT CONDEMN!!

You have all decided to be tolerant of every “truth” except that there might be only one truth.

thats a beautiful testimony patti.. Thank you for sharing I always want to know how people come to the Lord. Its a faith building thing for me and Im always touched to my spirit.

Savation IS all that matters. No big guns needed.

For those who believe, no proof is neccessary,
For those who don't, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

Happy fourth to all(albeit belated!) Except you Britts. LOL. :p

But you have bonfire night, so you get to blow stuff up too, so it's all good, right! But good fireworks are illegal where I live. I am sad.:( Oh well...

But don't blow off any fireworks. They frighten pets.

kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6102.gif
puppy-54.gif
kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6102.gif

Awwww... pic soooo cute! But my doggy loves fireworks! He's a weird one, alright.

I'm truly glad that you found a faith that you can "put your faith" in so wholly. I attend a Presbyterian/Congregational church (because my dad does, and it makes him happy to have me there) and I do pay attention while there, so I kinda know where you're coming from. Even if I don't always agree.

I don't think that people have a problem with accepting that there might only be one truth, I just think that everyone has a different one truth that they can accept. It's just the facts, ya can't please everybody at once.

For those who believe, no proof is neccessary,
For those who don't, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

Good quote. The hardest part is trying to explain why there is God in the first place to someone who doesn't believe. I think it's just one of those things that people cant learn unless they learn it themselves.

Well, happy fourth again! (late, late, late) Sry!

See ya! :D

Back