Scientific fundamentalism

Avi, what is the speed of gravity?

Hi SG, the speed of gravity :D

You have to integrate gravity (the acceleration) with respect to time. That will give you a velocity.

v =
40c4f3fd4e90d666f43f275de6264a1e.png

where f(x) = g and x=t

You will need an integration constant (C), so therefore you will need a boundary condition. And selecting that boundary condition, is the assumption which CZ will say makes you a scientific fundamentalist :D

Actually, that equation gives you the speed at which an object travels under the influence of gravity !! So I don't think an acceleration has a speed.

Now the speed of a gravity wave, maybe a different story :)

And selecting that boundary condition, is the assumption which CZ will say makes you a scientific fundamentalist :D

Please explain the assumption that I'm making. And please try to explain it in a way that an art school drop out can understand.

Please explain the assumption that I'm making. And please try to explain it in a way that an art school drop out can understand.

Just kidding with you CZ. Anyway, you're one step behind now, SG is trying some type of thought experiment with her mind travelling at the "speed of gravity" :).

You so missed the point. Obnoxiousness has nothing to do with scientific validity.

I've done my 12 hours for today. I'll pick this up next time. In the meantime your asssertion that morality and ethics exist independent from religion is so far unfounded.

Toodles!

Morality and ethics have their roots in the behaviour traits that are required for social living and are thus found in many social species. I have no doubt you know this. Again I ask... do YOU deny this?
I am not going to do your searching for you but as stated I have discussed this at length. It is up to you to educate yourself.

Behavioral traits are also something that are passed on and learnt. Culture is something that is passed on through your family and the people you associate with. Religion plays a roll on behavior as well which is then passed on and so on and so on. You in some way have been effected by religion even if you’re an atheist. Religion has and always will play a central role in moral values being passed on, I'm not saying an atheist can’t do this, they do and can its only harder and less effective for an atheist to do.

Behavioral traits are also something that are passed on and learnt. Culture is something that is passed on through your family and the people you associate with. Religion plays a roll on behavior as well which is then passed on and so on and so on. You in some way have been effected by religion even if you’re an atheist. Religion has and always will play a central role in moral values being passed on, I'm not saying an atheist can’t do this, they do and can its only harder and less effective for an atheist to do.

?? you'll find the early athiests [the ones that we have writings of, not the ones before that whose thoughts are lost in the midst of time] talked of virtues etc without recourse to G#ds, but as you say these social behaviours were learnt and developed previously within the matrix of a religious belief system universally, since religion was inseparable from societies.
So you could say religion historically engendered moralistic behaviour and codified ethics for each culture but now that it is [more or less] inherent in each human society the need for religion to promote or sanction behaviour is no longer required. In fact you could argue the oldest religions have moved beyond personal G#ds, since Judaism and Buddhism, for instance, have probably the most athiests of all?

In any case nations have taken over the role of big daddy prison warden.

How about the oldest religion in the world hinduism and full of Dogma?

you mean dharma [duty]? they are the least dogmatic umbrella of religions; the non dualist philosophies talk of an absolute Reality, so not the same as a personal G#d, but yes most need personifications to mediate with, as do most religious people.

Just kidding with you CZ. Anyway, you're one step behind now, SG is trying some type of thought experiment with her mind travelling at the "speed of gravity" :).

This is your opportunity to catch me up. If you DARE!!! :p

Here is a mind bender:
Fomalont concluded that the speed of gravity is between 0.8 and 1.2 times the speed of light, which would be fully consistent with the theoretical prediction of general relativity that the speed of gravity is exactly the same as the speed of light.

Speed of gravity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Designing a time machine ? :D
The propagation speed of gravity being faster than light speed would conveniently explain dark matter, no? {It could also explain the experiment of light traveling faster than light speed through certain substances, no?}

I asked this question in order to demonstrate that we don't fully scientifically understand gravity. (And that Newton was incorrect in believing that the speed of gravity was infinite.)

CZ what if religion is an expression of Human empathy and maybe a source of its extension?

What religion is at work here?

The Evolution of Empathy (pdf)

Thanks for saving Juantoo and I a search :)

Not the best quality...but the best I could do..

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUY5HelRRIs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUY5HelRRIs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

CZ what if religion is an expression of Human empathy and maybe a source of its extension?

There are two ways to look at it depending on your camp. You can say religion either embraces and enhances the formal and informal expression of ethics through a code of morality. Or you can say that it hijacks and perverts it. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Back