the deep flaw in both PRAYER and MEDITATION

Meditation and Prayer keep the door to the Id soundly closed.

While I can only speak to my experience with zen meditation, it is not the purpose or effect of the practice to shut the door to the Id or to any other part of the mind.

A conscious mind thinks, that is its purpose. Attempting to stop the mind from thinking is akin to stopping the eye from seeing or the skin from feeling. I have spent much time meditating with Id generated thoughts in my mind. The point isn't to shut them out, but to watch them as they come and go. I have spent much time sitting with Super Ego generated thoughts in my mind. The point isn't to hold on to them, but to watch them as they come and go.

There have been rare moments when my mind ceases putting forth thoughts and quiets enough for me to see the mind behind thought. And even then the point isn't to cling to this state, but to watch it as it comes and goes. Zen is not a practice of controlling thought, but of accepting with equanimity all of the states of our mind and conditions that life puts before us.

As for all the Id, Ego and Super Ego categorization... it is just mind... one mind, not three minds that is capable of thinking of all these things.

At first I was surprised at the five star rating. I didn't know that Freud's trinity were established facts. But now I remember you are a bit of a fan of his. There's a lot of conjecture here isn't there, for a man of your tastes??!!

Penolope says that

"Both the Western and the Eastern cultural/religious traditions ... put a primacy on Thinking."

She is of course entitled to hold any opinion she likes but in my opinion this assertion is simply incorrect (in regard to Eastern traditions, at least the little corner that I feel I know something about).

s.

Truths are where you find them are they not? Freud does ring some bells for me though again I prefer to cherry pick where I see fit. I am not trying to diss prayer or meditation, far from it, but it is interesting to look at the truths of why we engage in such rituals. As I do not know a lot about Buddhist meditation, the only koans I like have ice cream in them, I am not about to engage in a defence of Penelope's assertions other than to say I do not personaly believe she is wrong in including it. The sheer investment of time an effort to engage in the act already demands the ego's intimate involvement as far as I am concerned. Infact I think that is probably the nail on the head for me. The prayer or meditation does not stand alone and isolated, it is a ritual part -but only a part - of a usually much more broadly developed personal paradigm that is built firmly upon ego. You do not arrive ready to meditate with no preconceptions. Preconceptions carefully selected by the ego.
Its complicated...and its been a long, great, but exhausting weekend. Maybe I can make more sense tomorrow. And reply to some of the others...

Truths are where you find them are they not? Freud does ring some bells for me though again I prefer to cherry pick where I see fit. I am not trying to diss prayer or meditation, far from it, but it is interesting to look at the truths of why we engage in such rituals. As I do not know a lot about Buddhist meditation, the only koans I like have ice cream in them, I am not about to engage in a defence of Penelope's assertions other than to say I do not personaly believe she is wrong in including it. The sheer investment of time an effort to engage in the act already demands the ego's intimate involvement as far as I am concerned. Infact I think that is probably the nail on the head for me. The prayer or meditation does not stand alone and isolated, it is a ritual part -but only a part - of a usually much more broadly developed personal paradigm that is built firmly upon ego. You do not arrive ready to meditate with no preconceptions. Preconceptions carefully selected by the ego.
Its complicated...and its been a long, great, but exhausting weekend. Maybe I can make more sense tomorrow. And reply to some of the others...
Actually, the chief preconceived notion that Buddhist meditation seeks to dissolve is all notions of self. So, yes we all come to that meditation with preconceived notions of various sorts. CZ is quite correct about how Buddhists do not as a whole seek to specifically still the mind to the point where thoughts end. In fact, countless Buddhist teachers for millenia have pointed out how such an effort can actually be counter-productive to a true stilling of the mind which ultimately is seeing a reality greater than any collection of thoughts however noble-glimpses of that "spacious" mind in between, among, and within the thoughts. earl

As for Tao's response, what I find funny is that he chastizes me for being an emotionally-minded person, yet he loves this post that encourages dependency on emotion rather than thought. Hee. I love irony.
!! I would never in a billion years "chastise" you for having emotions. I always look at it that we each put down our thinking as it relates to an earlier post. I have nothing against emotions, just that I like to bare in my mind what is solely emotional from that which is independent of my emotions. I have a great emotional attachment to stars and trees but I also have a detatched view where I am assimilating questions and answers not directly of my choice but still formualted and arrived at with the sole intention of understanding more about stars and trees.

Ultimately, this entire thread is one big amalgam of thoughts about other people's thoughts... and so it carries with it all the same flaws supposed by prayer and meditation, if they are defined (incorrectly, I think) as mechanisms of thought. It's a bit inescapable- whenever we criticize the capacity of the mind to think and experience, we bind our own criticisms to the same criticism. To me, there is something delightful about that. It's like a naturally occuring koan. :)

Which gets back to one of the incorrect assumptions about Eastern traditions...

Meditate on koans and one understands why it's not about developing one's thoughts... :)
I agree there is a catch 22 in there. But we can only do the best we can with what we have. Yet it seems to me like a few of you are trying to ring fence Buddhism, and the Buddhism of affluent western indulgence at that, but fail to see just how ritualised it is. It is almost like you are calling it its objective and ignoring the fact that objective is a near impossible ideal. When I read a Buddhist teaching I see an invitation to self indulgence that is not as pronounced in the Abrahamics, so if anything Eastern modes of meditation require more, not less, reliance on the ego. To think because the meat of the ego is applied over hours of diligent schooling and practice prior to any effort at meditation somehow removes the ego is naive.

I also think we are getting to the point where we need a label to apply to our collective modality. The past century has seen such an expansion in education and communication that the collective of human knowledge has become almost an entity in its own right. It can no longer be acceptable to pass ones intrepretation of what reality is through just a few excersises and expect to understand or reach some enlightenment. Anyone that takes even a few steps into the library of human knowledge has some inkling of how vast and complicated it is. It is like Feynman said about Quantum Physics, "Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics". The same is true about the human condition.

Actually, the chief preconceived notion that Buddhist meditation seeks to dissolve is all notions of self. So, yes we all come to that meditation with preconceived notions of various sorts. CZ is quite correct about how Buddhists do not as a whole seek to specifically still the mind to the point where thoughts end. In fact, countless Buddhist teachers for millenia have pointed out how such an effort can actually be counter-productive to a true stilling of the mind which ultimately is seeing a reality greater than any collection of thoughts however noble-glimpses of that "spacious" mind in between, among, and within the thoughts. earl

What you are saying is that like any religion there is always some learned scholar you can quote at your convenience ;)

By the premise of the initial argument, it seems to me that to declare the fruit of man's religious thinking, 'the winnowed wisdom of the human race' as Huston Smith has said, to be 'deeply flawed' suggests the flaw lies with the argument.

Certainly, technical definitions offered on both eastern and western religious traditions are wrong, as has been pointed out above, and indeed are some of the philosophical definitions.

As for 'I think therefore I am' — this Cartersian defition of the person has been shown to be flawed by such philosophers as Paul Ricoeur, as he says, rather it should be 'I am, a being who thinks ... '

The next step is then communicating ...

Thomas

'the winnowed wisdom of the human race'

That too is a matter of opinion. I see little wisdom in religion. A lot of navel gazing, a lot of words to say very little...far from "winnowed" religions contain more superfluous nonsense than anything else. And they all relate straight back to self. Man most definitely made god in his own image.

What you are saying is that like any religion there is always some learned scholar you can quote at your convenience ;)

OK, then Tao. We can make a deal: I won't quote any learned practitioners of religion about how their religion is practiced (we'll just stick to uniformed opinions), if you promise not to quote your favorite priests of science about their discoveries.:p earl

That too is a matter of opinion.
Everyone's entitled to one.

I see little wisdom in religion.
I think you see nothing but what you want to see.

A lot of navel gazing, a lot of words to say very little...
See my above comment.

far from "winnowed" religions contain more superfluous nonsense than anything else.
Ditto. And think about it ... if we go through the pronouncements of science over the years, we find a body of knowledge that is continually being required to rewrite what it thought was sure and certain ... I think you'll find more superfluous nonsense there than in religion ... but none of us here are riding you for your faith in science ...

Thomas

OK, then Tao. We can make a deal: I won't quote any learned practitioners of religion about how their religion is practiced (we'll just stick to uniformed opinions), if you promise not to quote your favorite priests of science about their discoveries.:p earl

No we cannot make a deal. But glad to see you realise the religions can pull out any conjurer they require.

Everyone's entitled to one.
Indeed.

I think you see nothing but what you want to see.
I never realised we were so similar!

Ditto. And think about it ... if we go through the pronouncements of science over the years, we find a body of knowledge that is continually being required to rewrite what it thought was sure and certain ... I think you'll find more superfluous nonsense there than in religion ...
So did you take the train, bus, car or an ass to work this morning?

but none of us here are riding you for your faith in science ...
I think if you look a little bit harder you will find entire threads devoted to just that.

Freud does ring some bells for me

No, that’s Pavlov!:)

Anyhoo, I think (hehe)...

Like any psychological construct, the “existence” (or not) of the ego, super-ego and id can never really be proven, they can only ever be (or not) useful labels associated with particular behaviours, traits, attitudes etc. To this end, ego seems to have become an accepted term in common parlance. It is taken to exist, we all have one, and we all probably think some people have got too much of one! I’m not so sure that the super-ego and id have attained this same status; does that mean those two do not exist? If they don’t, then what does that mean for ego? I think (I won’t say hehe again) the ego can refer to that aspect of us which maintains our sense of self, of our separateness from the external world. It is constantly asking for stuff, it can be insatiable in its desires and needs.

I am not trying to diss prayer or meditation, far from it, but it is interesting to look at the truths of why we engage in such rituals. As I do not know a lot about Buddhist meditation, the only koans I like have ice cream in them, I am not about to engage in a defence of Penelope's assertions other than to say I do not personaly believe she is wrong in including it. The sheer investment of time an effort to engage in the act already demands the ego's intimate involvement as far as I am concerned. Infact I think that is probably the nail on the head for me. The prayer or meditation does not stand alone and isolated, it is a ritual part -but only a part - of a usually much more broadly developed personal paradigm that is built firmly upon ego. You do not arrive ready to meditate with no preconceptions. Preconceptions carefully selected by the ego.
The only koans I use have ice cream in too. :p

Not to be too concerned with semantics, but I think of “ritual” as referring to activity which is performed in public religious ceremonies (and imbued with meaning by the participants). I wouldn’t ascribe this term to meditation therefore (and meditation is often done in private).

Meditation (and prayer) can mean a myriad things; but it can certainly be a practice to reduce discursive thinking (thoughts will always pop into the mind of course, since that is the mind’s function, as CZ notes). So it could in fact be said to involve self-awareness (as per Penelope) and I don’t think one needs to invoke a reference to the Divine.

Anyway: the ego and meditation…

To be brief, and possibly wrong, I’d suggest that the ego doesn’t like meditation (that’s one reason to meditate). Listen to it: “This is boring, pointless, mind-numbing, tedious, time-wasting, idiotic! I’m not comfy! I need to go shopping! What was that moron doing in that Volvo that cut me up! I need to phone my mate up…” So I personally don’t think meditation to be ego-driven, quite the opposite. It can be an exercise in fighting the demanding little bugger.

its been a long, great, but exhausting weekend.
Glad you enjoyed the festival!

s.

!! I would never in a billion years "chastise" you for having emotions. I always look at it that we each put down our thinking as it relates to an earlier post. I have nothing against emotions, just that I like to bare in my mind what is solely emotional from that which is independent of my emotions. I have a great emotional attachment to stars and trees but I also have a detatched view where I am assimilating questions and answers not directly of my choice but still formualted and arrived at with the sole intention of understanding more about stars and trees.

Perhaps chastise was the wrong word. In a thread earlier in the week, you seemed to indicate that whereas you thought that I enjoyed my feelings, you enjoyed science. :) Yet here, if I understand her correctly, Penelope is saying that decisions are better made with emotion (which she calls awareness; I would argue the two are different things, but that is an aside) than with thought. To which you seemed to agree, which contradicted your earlier assessment that you preferred science (which is bound to thought) rather than my ideas about experience, intuition, and "feelings." I am finding the ebb and flow confusing. But the latter part of your discussion here assists- you are saying you enjoy both feelings and thought, but like to try to separate the two. That's fine and dandy when one studies stars or trees, or feels for them, but when it comes to decision-making, humans are notoriously bad at separating thought from emotion. The two go hand in hand.

I agree there is a catch 22 in there. But we can only do the best we can with what we have.

Indeed, and that is a statement that runs both ways, n'est pas? One can't criticize one approach of human thought whilst ignoring that the same criticism applies to the criticism itself. One can't call out flaws in one thing by using the same flaws to do so. It doesn't make any sense (except in a circular fashion).

Yet it seems to me like a few of you are trying to ring fence Buddhism, and the Buddhism of affluent western indulgence at that, but fail to see just how ritualised it is.

Why is ritual a bad thing to you?

When I read a Buddhist teaching I see an invitation to self indulgence that is not as pronounced in the Abrahamics, so if anything Eastern modes of meditation require more, not less, reliance on the ego. To think because the meat of the ego is applied over hours of diligent schooling and practice prior to any effort at meditation somehow removes the ego is naive.

You'll have to provide some examples and evidence here, because to be honest I don't know what you are talking about in terms of "an invitation to self-indulgence," "reliance on the ego" and "removal of the ego." Perhaps start with explaining what you are meaning by "ego" and then how this relates to reliance on it for meditation. Further, as CZZ tried to explain, I don't think the point of meditation is removing the ego. My own experience is that it is more like one starts to consciously observe one's own thoughts, rather than just thinking and feeling without awareness. It is a coming to awareness of each moment, of one's body, mind, environment, etc. I don't know how much of that applies to CZZ or other people who meditate.

The past century has seen such an expansion in education and communication that the collective of human knowledge has become almost an entity in its own right. It can no longer be acceptable to pass ones intrepretation of what reality is through just a few excersises and expect to understand or reach some enlightenment.

That assumes enlightenment is tied to knowledge. One can have a great deal of knowledge and still be quite poor in understanding and awareness. Many doctors, for example, have acquired a great deal of knowledge about the human body, but if they are lousy at listening and understanding their patients, they might make poor diagnoses. Then there is the problem of specialization. There is so much knowledge that everyone either specializes or fails to get real depth in any one area, and either way, one's interpretation of reality becomes narrow-minded and limited. Either one fails to grasp the reality of any one aspect of the universe, having only a passing knowledge of a great many things or one grasps only a tiny sliver of the universe in depth and fails to have the knowledge to connect the dots to everyone else's knowledge.

The knowledge itself is a network, a system of distributed cognition in society. It isn't an indepedent entity that any one person can fully access.

Yet one needn't despair that enlightenment is impossible because the system of knowledge is distributed rather than concentrated. I think there are ways around this, but I don't think Tao would like my views on that. ;)

It is like Feynman said about Quantum Physics, "Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics". The same is true about the human condition.

We are always limited in our knowledge. Whether or not we must be limited in our awareness or understanding is another matter. I think part of the key there is our scope of time and focus.

Yet here, if I understand her correctly, Penelope is saying that decisions are better made with emotion (which she calls awareness; I would argue the two are different things, but that is an aside) than with thought.

Indeed. When I referred to "awareness" I meant, er, "awareness"; not emotion or passion...

s.

Anyone that takes even a few steps into the library of human knowledge has some inkling of how vast and complicated it is. It is like Feynman said about Quantum Physics, "Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics". The same is true about the human condition.

back to blogging existentialism again! this is exactly why heidegger refutes cartesian dualism and is anti any science that begins with cognitive...it would be impossible for computers to have any realistic analogy to human consciousness though topographically it is and has been modelled for pragmatic use in understanding human behaviour/brain functions..but it will never adequately explain dasein, the human being who is at the very outset in the midst of the world [customs,norms,equipment] and therefore not separate from the 'referential totality' that no computer could ever be programmed to include.

'Zen work is becoming empty mind. Becoming empty mind means having all my opinions fall away. Then you will experience true emptiness. When you experience true emptiness, you will attain your true situation, your true condition, and your true opinions. ' from earls link post 207182

this is the ontology or pre ontology that heidegger is trying to articulate which is a repudiation of the mind/body/world, subject/object dichotomy that penelope's OP alludes to; dasein is already in [and of] the world, not alongside it, at the fundamental level he is describing being when it is totally absorbed in doing, when you and the hammer become one, when there is no 'l' relating itself to itself, similar to sartres pre reflective consciousness, an at one ment which both prayer and meditation attempts to gain so where is the flaw?

'hell is other people' - sartre. thought l'd stick that in:rolleyes:

Well I know you won't make deals that involve intellectual honesty.:) earl

You have a damned cheek saying that. I have answered everything you ask. I am not just going to tell you what you want to hear to satisfy your own doubt or sense of intellectual superiority or whatever it is that forces you to keep on with that crap.

Snoopy,

I kind of regret getting into this one as when I first read the OP's I was relating it to my thoughts on another thread and suddenly its all a lot more complicated. With reference to the definition of ritual, I do not define ritual as a formalised group activity. Ritual, in this sense, to me means any activity that is carried out as a part of ones belief system. Meditation, for a Buddhist, definitely falls in that category. And you cannot embark on a Buddhist meditative session without having done a lot of preparatory work in understanding what to do. Choosing a system of belief like Buddhism, or any religion, is itself an enormous choice made solely by the ego. You cannot suddenly expect to be rid of that when entering a meditation as you would never have contemplated the meditation save for the ego. Its like building a skyscraper then thinking you can knock down all the floors exept the penthouse and expect it to remain floating free.

I appreciate what you, and others, are trying to say that the meditation is an effort to restrict the ego, my argument is that because the act of meditation is built on a scaffold of ego that is impossible. Not to say that it cannot still be beneficial or rewarding, but if its aim is to be free of ego it is destined to failure. To use another analogy it is like building a fire then trying to smother it with wood, it may work for a while, but really you are still just fuelling it.

Back