"Is God Good?" is not a Valid Question

• Thread starter Eclectic Mystic
  • Start date
E

Eclectic Mystic

Please end the nonsense guys. This is not even a religious matter- you can't ask questions like ""do rectangles really have 4 sides?" It's just word salad.

I mean, really. This sounds like something that would result from Mad Libs.

I mean, really. This sounds like something that would result from Mad Libs.
What makes you say this, because the answer is obvious?
Please end the nonsense guys. This is not even a religious matter- you can't ask questions like ""do rectangles really have 4 sides?" It's just word salad.
I suppose ti depends on what the definition of is is. I'd say yes I rectangle has four sides, but not just four sides.

Wil, I get it-- "is" can either mean:

"God 'is' good (amongst other things)"

or

"God=good"

This is sidetracking though. The OP is about the supposed question "is God good" meaning is God good in any sense.

Wil, I get it-- "is" can either mean:

"God 'is' good (amongst other things)"

or

"God=good"

This is sidetracking though. The OP is about the supposed question "is God good" meaning is God good in any sense.
It was a reference to one of Clinton's tactics during his impeachment hearings.

But I still don't understand what you are going on about.

I don't know whether you are implying G!d is good or not good, or whether the concept of G!d is good or not good...I just don't know at all where this thread is intended. I's confuddled.

l think EM is saying just as three sides is a necessary condition of a triangle and in fact is its defintion so is the predicate good for god therfore a kinda stupid question? maybe we should be asking, is he also bad:eek: [oh no back to the evil question, forget it;)]

What is "good"? When we say that God is good, what is meant by that? If we call God "good", do we not then attempt limit God by what we understand to be "good"? If, by "good", we think we refer to some sort of ineffable and incomprehensible "goodness", might we as well say that "God is yafoogie."?

Yes, goodness is a necessary condition for God. If said entity is not good, said entity is not God. If said entity does not have exactly 3 sides, said entity is not a triangle. I can verbally make a statement like: "Well such and such is a triangle, but it doesn't have 3 sides"-- that does not mean its valid. Its not a matter of implying anything.

Namaste EM,

Thank you for clarifying. I believe the reason there is a discussion is folks are confused as to whom G!d is good.

Was G!d good to the Egyptians, or anyone else that was on the receiving end of a plague or good smiting? Or when he told his people to go back and murder them all including the old, women and children but save the virgins for themselves. I think folks get confused when they loose their homes, are victims of thugs or muggings, of have some other perceived ill foisted upon them and they see G!d not steppin up to help dispite their years spent in church or on their knees.

AS we have no such notoins about triangles or rectangles ... the question, and the discussion.

I'm not interested in references to theologies of specific cultures. I'm referring on a more fundamental level to the mere logic of a statement. "How is God good?" is a valid question. "Is God good?" is unequivocally invalid.

"Is G-d Good" is not the same as "do rectangles really have 4 sides".

I'm not interested in references to theologies of specific cultures. I'm referring on a more fundamental level to the mere logic of a statement. "How is God good?" is a valid question. "Is God good?" is unequivocally invalid.

I disagree. Do you want to make a case for your assertion or are you waiting for others to make the case for you ?

One day I wondered "Is God good because of the things that God does, or not? A person is judged by what they do, but what about God?" On that day I began to think for myself.

Yes, goodness is a necessary condition for God. If said entity is not good, said entity is not God. If said entity does not have exactly 3 sides, said entity is not a triangle. I can verbally make a statement like: "Well such and such is a triangle, but it doesn't have 3 sides"-- that does not mean its valid. Its not a matter of implying anything.

Define "good" as it regards to God in a non-tautological fashion. When you use "good" for God are you quite certain that you have actually managed to encapsulate God in your mortal mind?

To simply say "God = good" says nothing at all about God nor about goodness.

"Is G-d Good" is not the same as "do rectangles really have 4 sides".

I disagree. Do you want to make a case for your assertion or are you waiting for others to make the case for you ?

Yes, "Is G-d Good" is not the same as "do rectangles really have 4 sides". A monkey can see that. The two sentences nevertheless share something in common. No assertion is being made yet; even though these sentences are grammatically correct, they still haven't passed the logical prerequisite of a valid question. "Do metallic sonatas oscillate when Tuesday is a pinto bean?" is also a grammatically correct question.

dogbrain said:
Define "good" as it regards to...
Don't feel like it.

Asking only for the sake of arguement, why is it necessary for God to be 'good' in order to be God? Couldn't their be an evil God that is just as creative? Or an indifferent God for that matter, as deists claim? What would be the difference?

An indifferent God is possible to me, but even that would be a good thing. That might actually be what is so good about God. Indifference makes sense. Cruelty, however, is an animal trait. Pleasure and pain compete for dominance in this world, but hopefully God has no interest in such competitions. Instead we can consider ourselves all on a level plain, and chance determines our fate. We can support each other. We've no idea what the next day will be like.

Back