Baha'is support Ugandan antigay imprisonment and death penatly laws

diamondsouled

Reaction score
KAMPALA, August 21, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Hundreds of people rallied today to protest the recent push by homosexual activists for gay rights in Uganda. Christian groups based their protests on the grounds that homosexuality is immoral, illegal and unhealthy.

The Christian organization Interfaith Rainbow Coalition (IRC) organized the event, bringing together members of different faiths, including the Uganda Joint Christian Council (UJCC), the Bahai Faith, Pentecostal churches and other non-government organizations.

Held at the Kyaddondo rugby grounds in Lugogo, protestors waved banners and carried signs which included the words "God loves homos, he hates homosexuality". The theme of the rally was "A Call for Action on Behalf of the Victims of Homosexuality."

Uganda Pro-Family Rally: "God loves homos, he hates homosexuality"

---

Ugandan government ministers are demanding the arrest of the country's lesbian and gay human rights activists. Deputy attorney general Fred Ruhinde and minister of ethics and integrity Nsaba Buturo made the call last month in a series of radio broadcasts heard across country.
They are backed by Christian, Muslim and Bahai religious leaders who are calling for all "homos" to be rounded up and locked away.

Ugandan gays demand freedom | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

----

Cheers

Larry Rowe

Larry,

Thanks for posting on the Baha'i Forum and sharing your news..I note that this "rally" was supposed to have occurred in 2007 and reportedly involved Baha'is.. I don't know for sure how accurate this infoermation is but the only issue I would have is that Baha'is would not support criminal prosecutions of homosexuals or "locking them up".. simply for being homosexuals.

For Baha'is who have these issues we would rather on a case by case basis recommend therapeutic approaches in dealing with these issues and THEN only in a confidential way. So that's how we Baha'is would generally handle it..

Wikipedia has a fair article I think on the subject:

Homosexuality and the Bahá'í Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and read this also:

UHJ letter: homosexuality.discussion.html

Thanks for your post!

- Art

So sorry, but what you're overlooking is that Baha'is don't get involved in partisan political activities, and indeed are forbidden from doing so!

So while I don't know exactly what went on back then, I can assure you that the Baha'is had no formal involvement on either side of the issue!

There may have been individuals present, but they were at most acting on their own and not as any sort of official Baha'i representation. And in general, as I pointed out, even participation of that sort isn't looked upon kindly by the Baha'i Faith.

Peace,

Bruce

I would be interested in reading of any official Baha'i response to what is occurring in Uganda concerning the gay community there.

I haven't seen any such response or any directives to Ugandan Baha'is to not involve themselves in this anti-gay activity.

I would hope that the Haifan Baha'i community would publicly distance itself from support for such backward laws.

Cheers

Larry Rowe

Larry,

I think you probably came across a news article that was inaccurate and it was a few years ago .. It doesn't really have that much to do with the Faith ..

Could Baha'is have had some interfaith meetings say with an Interfaith Rainbow Coalition?.. It's possible I think but we don't advocate imprisoning people for their sexual orientation.. So the news article was inaccurate and they probably had no familiarity with what Baha'is believe anyway..

If you have questions about this further you can write the Secretariat of the Universal House of Justice

The Secretariat
Baha'i International Community
P.O. Box 155
31001, Haifa
Israel

email: secretariat@bwc.org

and when you get a response..Share it with us!

- Art

Certainly it would not be the first time a journalist mis-reports something. :)

It's actually disturbingly common. :(

Greetings!

As I already pointed out, the Baha'i Faith explicitly AVOIDS involvement in partisan politics, so Baha'i statements on either side of a given issue are extremely unlikely, to say the least!

But in the meantime, I urge you to review the formal statement already issued by the House of Justice on this topic; you can find it here:

Baha'i Teachings on Homosexual Practices

Peace,

Bruce

Back