Help with Baha'i

Boethiah

Reaction score
Hello!

I am very much interested in the Baha'i Faith. I have been researching for a few weeks now and it is one of the best and clearest choices I can see right now.

I come to this situation after about three years of blunders. I was never a strong Christian when I was growing up. About 3 years ago I became an Agnostic and soon became an Atheist. After a couple of years this was dissatisfying. I felt as if there was something bigger than myself and that I was cheating myself from having any connection with God.

So, my search began. I researched and tired a few religions but none really spoke to me the way the writings of Baha'u'llah or Abdul Baha did. I believe that Baha'u'llah was a manifestation of God and that his word is the latest in humanity's goal of spiritual unity.

My problem lies within the current state of the Baha'i community. My first problem is, I have read some horror stories about the UHJ. How, it is buerocratic rather than spiritual and that it is totalitarian, and anti-knowledge. I am not sure if this is something that is valid and something I should be worried about when choosing a religion to join to supplement my faith.

I need some sort of advice on how to go about confirming my faith. The Baha'i Faith is what I want, but with the UHJ I may not want that.

Can anyone affirm/deny/give insight into my worries?

Thank you!

Boethia,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum!

I'm unsure what sources you have found that suggests to you that the Universal House of Justice is totalitarian but I will say this there appear to be people who would like to convey that picture..

If anything the Unversal House of Justice is a democratic body that is elected every five years by the Baha'is around the planet.. They do this through the elected National Spiritual Assemblies of the planet.

The House is the Center of our Faith and it's administration is in Haifa, Israel.

If you have a specuific issue you'd like to discuss feel free to share .....

- Art :)

Hi Boethiah,

Thanks for your post and question. Having been a Baha'i for 39 years, I can tell you that you are on a wonderful path.....but one whereby your faith will be tested. Tested by what others say, tested by your own doubts. However, if it is the truth, it is the truth and it doesn't matter what people do to deny or hide it. Keep on investigating - not only with your mind but, even more especially, with your heart.

Now...as to what you have heard about the Universal House of Justice, please read what Baha'u'llah has said about this Institution...because it was He who originally mentioned it in His Writings. However, it was not brought into being until 1963 and has been serving as the Head of the Faith since then.

I served at the Baha'i World Center for 4 years and can tell you that, after that experience, my love for and devotion to that Supreme Body went up 10,000 per cent. Those who serve on it are human beings just like you and me but, when they meet as the Universal House of Justice, they have been promised guidance by Baha'u'llah Himself.

Keep investigating the Writings.....and ignore the attacks on the internet. Personal opinions are just that.....opinions. And it is the purpose of some to attack the Faith or it's members openly or subtly instill doubts in peoples minds. Your only defense is the read the original Writings, pray and seek to understand from those willing to help you.

All the best on your spiritual quest! (Hey...that rhymes!!)

Alrandolin

Hi, Boethiah; I'll also welcome you to the forum! :)

I agree with Art and Alrandolin: it's always fairly easy to find a few nay-sayers whose sole pleasure in life seems to be in tearing down others' beliefs.

But they in no way alter the facts!

In fact, the House of Justice is much respected and appreciated by Baha'is the world over! And it is not a "dictatorship" as its prerogatives are clearly laid out (and limited) by the Baha'i scriptures.

I'm sure the individuals doing the complaining aren't Baha'is.

But if I may make a humble suggestion, please don't worry about what detractors say: far better, investigate the faith yourself and come to your own independant conclusions free from prejudice ("pre-judging")! And as part of this process, I hope you'll talk to as many Baha'is as possible to discover what they have to say about all this.

Please bear in mind both that NO ONE is forced to be a Baha'i--indeed, Independant Investigation of Truth is one of our central teachings, and similarly, anyone who chooses to leave the Faith is fully free to do so, no questions asked, and incurs no condemnation whatever for doing this.

Best regards, and please feel free to ask us any further questions you may have.

I wish you good hunting! :)

Best,

Bruce

Thank you!

As a point of clarification, I know that Baha'u'llah said that this institution should be in existence. How it worked and the scope it has over the Faith itself is what concerned me. The criticism I did read of it was from Non-Baha'is, but I wanted to check with a good amount of enrolled Baha'is about how things work.

Also, I will continue on this path with the Baha'i Faith. I am not an enrolled member yet, but I plan on becoming one soon. I will continue to read the texts and grow more spiritual/closer to god.

Thank you again!

Back