Breathing

Sancho

Reaction score
Hakuin (1686-1769) has this to say about breathing in, 'Orategama'.

"The essential point brought out in this book is that, whether reading certain parts of the sacred teachings, whether examining the principles of the Dharma, whether sitting for long periods without lying down or whether engaged in walking practices throughout the six divisions of the day, the vital breath must always be made to fill the space between the navel and the loins. Even though one may be hemmed in by worldly cares or tied down by guests who require elaborate attention, the source of strength two inches below the navel must naturally be filled with the vital breath, and at no times be allowed to disperse. This area should be pendulous and well rounded, somewhat like a new ball that had yet to be used. If a person is able to acquire this kind of breath concentration he can sit in meditation all day long without it ever tiring him; he can recite the sutras from morning to night without becoming worn out; he can write all day long without any trouble; he can talk all day without collapsing from fatigue."

Does anyone have anything to say about this phenomen of becoming healthy through breathing with the belly?

breathing is incredible....and yes the notion of chest out, stomach in, is less than advantageous...

hold one hand on your chest, one on your belly button and breathe in deeply...to full capacity...the belly should move the most.

Whatever benefit this type of breathing has for balancing the flow of chi, the mindfulness required to keep up this practice is equally as healthful.

Does anyone have anything to say about this phenomen of becoming healthy through breathing with the belly?

Voice teacher: Chest breathing is bad.
Fencing master: Chest breathing is bad.
Pretty much everybody I've ever met who has a professional interest in efficient use of long power: Chest breathing is bad.

Belly breathing is the best, from what I have heard as well.
In through nose....out through mouth.

Belly breathing is the best, from what I have heard as well.
In through nose....out through mouth.

Yep. That is the most effective method, based on my reading as well as personal experience. We learn early on to chest breathe, but it only results in problems - chest muscles do work they're not designed to do. A good way to practice is to do slow, controlled breathing, with pauses between each inhalation and exhalation. I found that by doing this, my diaphragm naturally took over and I stopped chest breathing. Now I belly breathe almost all the time. I do catch myself, whenever stressed and anxious, holding my breath in my chest, which only exacerbates the stress! A few belly breaths get me back to normal though.

Interesting good points will have to try that thanks! :)

I find that a good stretch is essential for me to get a good cycle of breathes going for the tasks which make up my day. I do it regularly, in the morning and at night... with the dawn and sunset, if I am able.

I prefer the Small Heaven qigong technique, in which I do a cycle of 3 stretches, hands interlaced over my head -- to the sides, stretching my ribcage and, then, bringing my hands back over my solar plexus, as if there were a beach ball in between (like an energy sphere) 3 to the sides again but with a pivotal motion, from the hip.

Each repetition is done, breathing in through the nose and out, through the mouth, expelling as much breath as possible.

It ends with the hands just below the navel, where the energy is finally centred.

I read something about being friends with oneself. I awoke in an unhappy mood. So I started singing before my head was out of the pillow, that lead to om or aum right down into the belly and then sucking in and suddenly I felt better and was friends with myself able to face my committments for that day.
I am a yoga student for many years and my experience is that breathing properly only really clicked in in the most real way when I was in crisis and very entrenched in yoga. Then it became so refined I felt I could "live to breathe" but later on I can practice with the teacher's cd's and nothing really works like that one time. Go figure. Oh and when I hike mountains or run I breathe in and out through the nose which seems to give me more stability.

I prefer yogic breathing - in through the nose and out through the nose. Since there is such a small space in which air can flow, it forces youto take deep breaths. I even use this type of breathing when I run and it allows me to go into a meditiative state while running.

Back