Life after death

Continuing on with Psalm 139 after the disputed parts about sheol, looking at verses 9-19 of the psalm. What I see is a person deciding to stick with their principles, despite being goaded by evil people. They are probably an authority figure, and are having to hold back. Like an investor making a long term investment in the volatile stock market, they are going to ride out the rough times without going into a tizzy; and they are choosing not to have a reign of terror. A reign of terror is terribly convenient sometimes but is devastating in the long run. They commit themselves to trust in the slow work of time and sound principles. I think the psalm is about relying upon higher thoughts than one's own immediate knee jerk reactions. It is about trust, and the psalmist talks about how they themselves are "Fearfully and wonderfully made," (one of the most famous passages ever), which I see as one of the most important confessions that a ruler needs to make. They are not self-creating.

"How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O G-d! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O G-d: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men."

Back