An interesting find in a Lutheran church in Wisconsin

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Teacher stumbles upon 340-year-old Bible - Yahoo! News

I don't know if this is the right forum for this or how long the story's going to be up, but the gist of the story is that a teacher in Wisconsin found a bible that is one of less than 100 known copies of Martin Luther's translation of the Christian Bible. Initially, she was looking for books to help teach her students about birth records, and thought the book was a mere curiosity.

It (the bible) was authenticated in St. Louis, MO.

Oh, and please move this to the proper forum if this one isn't.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Since printing was invented, the number of changes has gone way down from when texts were copied by hand. "Typos" still occur but not at the same rate.

Since printing was invented, the number of changes has gone way down from when texts were copied by hand. "Typos" still occur but not at the same rate.

Three becomes free. When you buy two apples you get three oranges. No, you get free oranges!!!! What? You can have as many as you want for free?

I ate four grapes. I ate sour grapes. How many?

I hate sour grapes. I hate sore graphs. I hate some graphs. I had some graphs.

I ate four grapes from last year's prophet.
I had some graphs of last year's profits.

I read when written in Hebrew, without the spaces, and puntuation, the folks that checked the scribes would check down columns...as the scribes wrote across in rows... reducing error?

true?

The widths of the letters are not the same, so you couldn't check down columns. But the medieval Hebrew manuscripts have a fantastic apparatus of marginal notes (the Masorah or "fence") giving counts of how many letters up to a particular point, or noting that such and such a rare word or rare spelling for a common word only occurs "x" times and here is one of them, and such-like aids in checking.

Back