Misconceptions about Islam

I do. When Bbrain talks about the dangers of the increasing anti-Semitism in the UK and Europe, it is personal for him; he genuinely has to worry about danger to himself. MW generally likes Bbrain, better than she likes me, despite disagreements; I was taking a cheap shot by saying, when MW trivializes the dangers of random attacks on Jews, she might be endorsing an attack on her friend. It was over the line, and I apologize. I think I just have to let the whole subject of Israel/Palestine rest for a while; certainly my views have been amply explained.
I can be rather harsh when defending someone. I think I'll back off as well.

I apologize.

v/r

Q

Sometimes, imo, what can happen on net message boards is that people forget that it is another person they are relating to.

Why don't we have a thread in which we can have a laugh, a bit of baner, leaving aside all the wee spats?

Might be a thought in order to demostrate the 'human side' to often political enemies.

However, where I do think you get an issue is maybe when you have a disproprtionate number of Burkah wearing Muslims, in one area on England.

Luton is a good example, for some reason, there appear to be a lot there, and it is not shock that this was also the birth place of the EDL.

I can understand why people get fearful at the sight of a whole area of Britain turning into what appears like downtown Kabul. I recently spoke to a young woman, married to a Muslim, living in Luton and I was totally shocked at her descriptions of the life there .... she is afraid to walk in the street with their kids. She is often bothered by groups of young men and says rapes are a common occurrence.

I can't say which area of the world these people come from but I can hazard a guess and their attitude is typical of their culture ... not of our religion ... but of course it is Islam that is tainted and I can't blame British people in the area for this.

During the 80's we made a policy decision to try to protect minorities in Britain .. a good thing ... but we made the mistake of not getting immigrants to integrate with society. We allowed state schools to put up signs in Urdu and other languages to make immigrants feel welcome ... a bad thing ... because those young people needed to learn English and they are now young adults who do not feel a part of our general society. This is the issue we must address now but not through creating laws about how women choose to dress.

Of course the other side of the coin is the ex pat communities in other countries. We are quite happy to go and live in secluded groups in other countries, eating fish and chips, getting drunk and wearing clothes very alien to those communities. But of course we come from a colonial society ;)

sorry about any typos I missed, my wireless keyboard is playing up ... bleedin technology lol

MW generally likes Bbrain, better than she likes me, despite disagreements; I was taking a cheap shot by saying, when MW trivializes the dangers of random attacks on Jews, she might be endorsing an attack on her friend. It was over the line, and I apologize.

It's not about liking someone more than someone else Bob, I have met neither of you in person .. it's about finding a mind you can communicate with. BB accepts there is good and bad, right and wrong on both sides and it is a view I very much appreciate.

I have been up close and personal with terrorism, I've even scraped it's results off the street and it took it many years of being closed minded and one sided to finally understand that they did what they did because they believed in their cause and I had to examine what we were doing to create such hatred and violence. It doesn't excuse what they did but it's the only way to move forward.

You are often very closed minded, as I used to be and can sometimes still be, and you tar everyone with the same brush ... yes it gets my hackles up at times.

I am determined (no matter how unlikely it is), through our discussions, to make you accept there is right and wrong on both sides. I would also hope at some point to get you to look at both sides of the Arab/Israeli conflict, it is not as black and white as either of us seem to believe. I do not support or condone violence or terrorism and I do not hate anyone because of their skin colour, faith, gender or sexual orientation ... and I very much apreciate the apology.

I think I just have to let the whole subject of Israel/Palestine rest for a while; certainly my views have been amply explained.

I would certainly appreciate this thread getting back to misconceptions of Islam as a religious faith.

I am determined (no matter how unlikely it is), through our discussions, to make you accept there is right and wrong on both sides. I would also hope at some point to get you to look at both sides of the Arab/Israeli conflict, it is not as black and white as either of us seem to believe.

just wanted to note that I am perfectly aware I am going about this in entirely the wrong way and will try to do better in future :eek:

It's probably already been mentioned: that Islam is a political ideology, that women are oppressed and confusing religion with culture, some still do not know that Muslims believe in and follow the religion of Abraham

Back