What is the major question for you in terms of Tao?

sunwukong

Reaction score
I am a Chinese, and my English is not so good. But I will try my best to address what I know about the Tao.

Let us discuss together here. (I have studied and practised Tao for almost 20 years)

I am a Chinese, and my English is not so good. But I will try my best to address what I know about the Tao.

Let us discuss together here. (I have studied and practised Tao for almost 20 years)
this is wonderful, namaste and welcome...

What would you tell someone that knows nothing about the Tao as to why you've studied/practiced for 20 years?

And what first got you interested?

你好! What does it mean to practice Tao?

Giving a name to the nameless is tricky. Lao-Tzu needs to call 'It' something, so he gives It the name Tao. But technically the name Tao doesn't refer to It, Tao translates as 'way' or 'path'. So when Lao-Tzu says 'Tao', he is referring to the path we travel to get to It, not to 'It' itself.

On this point, Tao and Judaism totally agree. 'It' is nameless and indescribable. We can also see these concepts in other major religions.

Yes, there is some similarity to Zen, because Zen only focuses on the journey along the path, not to what is at the end of the path.

Last edited:
On this point, Tao and Judaism totally agree. 'It' is nameless and indescribable. We can also see these concepts in other major religions.

It was reading stories of the Baal Shem Tov that intrigued and made look elsewhere (ie not just in Judaic literature) that led me to the Tao Te Ching and other writings. I found this nameless name referred to in other religions.

As a junior in learning arts of Tai Chi/QiGong, I submit my rambling thoughts -

Extracted from the link in previous post above:
"Humanity follows earth, earth follows heaven, heaven follows the Way, the Way follows Nature." In the final sense, therefore, Taoism, or Wayfaring, refers to the pursuit of natural laws.

These natural laws are reflected in the body (earth), the mind (heaven), and in the order of the universe (the Way of Nature). The practice of Taoism, therefore, takes place in the cultivation and refinement of the natural capacities of the human body-mind continuum and its relationship with the social milieu and the natural world.

From my own interpretation of various readings and practice:
We are located between heaven and earth. It is our duty to pay respect to all above and below. Through the cultivation of Chi we ground ourselves drawing energy through connection with earth and we can exchange our energy through our breath with the universe.

The mind is master of the body and the body should be servant of the mind. Tai Chi/QiGong is a practice to strengthen this relationship.
(Tai=Mind, Chi=Energy, Life force)

The practice of QiGong is described as 'cultivating' or 'working' your Qi (Qi = life force / energy). As quoted form nqa.org, "One of the more important long-term effects is that Qigong reestablishes the body/mind/soul connection."

The principles of yielding, softness, centeredness, balance, rootedness can be seen as elements of Taoist philosophy that Tai Chi has drawn upon. Tai Chi also has a systematic approach to the four directions, animal movements, connections with the elements.... etc....

Now for the question: is Taoist a religion without gods? My answer would be : "indirectly no" . When we focus so much on the earth, the four directions, the natural elements, the universe..... The practice of Tai Chi/QiGong has become for me the Tao in connecting with our higher selves and with a higher power. I admit my (Catholic) bias - - that higher power can only be the Divine Himself. (repeat: QiGong reestablishes the body/mind/soul connection) Our soul is a gift from ________ .

Please take all that I wrote lightly.... it is just a view point from someone who often sits in the back row of a church.

Back