Lankavatara Sutra

Nicholas Weeks

Bodhicitta
Reaction score
DT Suzuki translated this important sutra back in the 1930s?. We now have another English version done by Bill Porter (Red Pine). It just came out this month of January, 2012:

Last edited:
Thanks for the alert. This sutra has bubbled away on my reading list and Red Pine is excellent; so I look forward to its publication in the UK.

My copy arrived yesterday, so I have only dipped into it. Type size is a bit small for oldsters like me, maybe only 9 point. He puts his notes & comments on a gray background facing the translation page.

This sutra is the root of Ch'an (& eventually Zen). Gunabhadra's translation (5th century) is the basis, since his was the preferred edition in China. It is also a Yogacara sutra.

Hi!

You could do worse that get a kindle! The Red Pine commentary is available, and you can choose whatever font size suits!

My eyes are always giving me trouble, what with one thing or another, but my kindle is a boon.

Yes, I love the heft and feel of a book, but needs must.............

:)

Hi!

You could do worse that get a kindle! The Red Pine commentary is available, and you can choose whatever font size suits!

My eyes are always giving me trouble, what with one thing or another, but my kindle is a boon.

Yes, I love the heft and feel of a book, but needs must.............

Hi Tariki!

How are you?

Is this a fly by or a return? Or are you a lurker?

Hi Tariki!

How are you?

Is this a fly by or a return? Or are you a lurker?

Hi Snoopy, yes I'm fine, and a new granddaddy! Probably a bit of a fly by.........just browsing after retiring from "combat" on a few other forums.

Hope you are well.

Don't be such a stranger, Derek!

Congrats on the new grandbaby! :)

Hi seattlegal, thanks for the good wishes.

I was looking up the old Thomas Merton thread for one reason or another, and took a quick peep at the rest of the forum. Maybe if any thread beckons in future I may contribute with some of my own brand of lunacy.

Hmmm that doesn't sound like Tariki!

Well, for a while I took it upon myself to speak my mind as and when posts appeared that revolved around "only ways" and the fate of those who fail to recognise them as such. Seriously, it could only be called "combat" at times......:eek:

I have now given this up. Though we can never really know exactly what may or may not result from anything we write, on the face of it the whole thing was futile.

Back