Lesbian Woman Denied Communion at Mother's Funeral

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Lesbian Woman Denied Communion at Mother's Funeral | ABC News - Yahoo!

As her elderly mother was dying, Barbara Johnson lay next to her on the hospital bed, reciting the "Hail Mary." Loetta Johnson, 85, had been a devout Catholic, raising her four children in the church and sending them to Catholic schools.

At her mother's funeral mass at the St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Gaithersburg, Md., a grieving Barbara Johnson was the first in line to receive communion.

What happened next stunned her. The priest refused Johnson, who is gay, the sacramental bread and wine.

"He covered the bowl with the Eucharist with his hand and looked at me, and said I cannot give you communion because you live with a woman and that is a sin in the eyes of the church," Johnson told ABC News affiliate WJLA.

Her older brother, Larry Johnson, couldn't believe what he had seen.

"I walked to the side of the church to console her, because she was clearly distraught," Johnson told ABC News.

Larry Johnson said his sister, who has been in a committed gay relationship for 19 years, composed herself enough to give her mother's eulogy, but then he was shocked at what happened next. The priest left the altar, Johnson said, and didn't return until his sister was nearly finished speaking.

Family members added that the priest failed to come to the grave site, and the burial was attended by a substitute priest found by the funeral director.

Larry Johnson and his sister were outraged at what occurred on "what would already have been the worst day of my life," he said.

They want the priest, the Rev. Marcel Guarnizo, removed from dealings with parishioners. They also believe he owes them an apology.

"This isn't about gay rights and it isn't about Catholic bashing, it is simply about the conduct of a reprehensible priest," said Johnson.

But the head of DignityUSA, a group that focuses on gay and lesbian rights and the Catholic Church, sees the incident as part of a wider problem.

"The reality is, in some ways, it is very emblematic of the hierarchy's approach to gay people, transgender people," said Marianne Duddy-Burke. "There are little messages of rejection that happen all the time."

Guarnizo did not return an email asking for a comment about the incident.

The Archdiocese of Washington had no public comment about the priest's behavior, but issued a statement that indicated Guarnizo should have taken up the matter of whether Johnson could receive communion in private.

"When questions arise about whether or not an individual should present themselves for communion," the statement said, "it is not the policy of the Archdiocese to Washington to publicly reprimand the person."

The archdiocese said it is looking into the incident and that it would handle it as a personnel issue.

Duddy-Burke of DignityUSA believes the response misses the point.

"I would hope that it provides a wake-up call to church leaders to make them see where the extremes of their policy are leading," she said. "My concern is they will just see this as an isolated incident and fail to see the context."

Both Larry and Barbara Johnson have received letters from the archdiocese of Washington apologizing "that what should have been a celebration of your mother's life … was overshadowed by a lack of pastoral sensitivity."

Larry Johnson appreciated the letters and the sentiment behind them.

But in his letter to the archdiocese, Johnson noted that the Church's teachings in relation to personal behavior are complex issues. And he wondered if the priest has any right to determine who is able to receive communion "without any discussion, insight or spiritual awareness" of the person presenting themselves before him.

Lesbian Woman Denied Communion at Mother's Funeral | ABC News - Yahoo!

As her elderly mother was dying, Barbara Johnson lay next to her on the hospital bed, reciting the "Hail Mary." Loetta Johnson, 85, had been a devout Catholic, raising her four children in the church and sending them to Catholic schools.

At her mother's funeral mass at the St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Gaithersburg, Md., a grieving Barbara Johnson was the first in line to receive communion.

What happened next stunned her. The priest refused Johnson, who is gay, the sacramental bread and wine.

"He covered the bowl with the Eucharist with his hand and looked at me, and said I cannot give you communion because you live with a woman and that is a sin in the eyes of the church," Johnson told ABC News affiliate WJLA.

Her older brother, Larry Johnson, couldn't believe what he had seen.

"I walked to the side of the church to console her, because she was clearly distraught," Johnson told ABC News.

Larry Johnson said his sister, who has been in a committed gay relationship for 19 years, composed herself enough to give her mother's eulogy, but then he was shocked at what happened next. The priest left the altar, Johnson said, and didn't return until his sister was nearly finished speaking.

Family members added that the priest failed to come to the grave site, and the burial was attended by a substitute priest found by the funeral director.

Larry Johnson and his sister were outraged at what occurred on "what would already have been the worst day of my life," he said.

They want the priest, the Rev. Marcel Guarnizo, removed from dealings with parishioners. They also believe he owes them an apology.

"This isn't about gay rights and it isn't about Catholic bashing, it is simply about the conduct of a reprehensible priest," said Johnson.

But the head of DignityUSA, a group that focuses on gay and lesbian rights and the Catholic Church, sees the incident as part of a wider problem.

"The reality is, in some ways, it is very emblematic of the hierarchy's approach to gay people, transgender people," said Marianne Duddy-Burke. "There are little messages of rejection that happen all the time."

Guarnizo did not return an email asking for a comment about the incident.

The Archdiocese of Washington had no public comment about the priest's behavior, but issued a statement that indicated Guarnizo should have taken up the matter of whether Johnson could receive communion in private.

"When questions arise about whether or not an individual should present themselves for communion," the statement said, "it is not the policy of the Archdiocese to Washington to publicly reprimand the person."

The archdiocese said it is looking into the incident and that it would handle it as a personnel issue.

Duddy-Burke of DignityUSA believes the response misses the point.

"I would hope that it provides a wake-up call to church leaders to make them see where the extremes of their policy are leading," she said. "My concern is they will just see this as an isolated incident and fail to see the context."

Both Larry and Barbara Johnson have received letters from the archdiocese of Washington apologizing "that what should have been a celebration of your mother's life … was overshadowed by a lack of pastoral sensitivity."

Larry Johnson appreciated the letters and the sentiment behind them.

But in his letter to the archdiocese, Johnson noted that the Church's teachings in relation to personal behavior are complex issues. And he wondered if the priest has any right to determine who is able to receive communion "without any discussion, insight or spiritual awareness" of the person presenting themselves before him.
You cannot force a church into denying its own doctrines and teachings and the agenda out there is to try to force the catholic church into accepting homosexuality. To me its not about accusation but education. It simply doesnt work that way and two of the same gender will never enter infinte life together, even two of opposite gender that are not true opposites cannot enter that together so its not just about homosexuality. If one is participating in homosexuality and claiming its ok they are not to partake in holy communion. The reason being that holy communion rites are for the bodies to enter , the reason for confession as well, and if your accepting something that doesnt enter and living that lifestyle your not to participate in communion with the others in the church. That doesnt mean you cannot attend church. You would have to understand why same sex doesnt enter, and stop participating it it. Now as far as opposite sex. Dont think they have all the knowledge on whos whos opposites yet. It seems to me that those with the shove it down your throat and accept it whether its right or not homoesexual agenda uses times like funerals ect to push that agenda to gain sympathy. I think thats worse than anything the priest did or said that may have offended someone and I find it extremely offenseive to misuse the dead in that way.

Just one more example of religious chains and hypocrisy (how many clergy are pedophiles?), the absurdity of a make-believe belief system to denounce and control another's life and choices. Simply disgusting and dehumanizing.

Bingo! We (the prople) have the right to enforce laws on the civil-social behavior of corporations and churches. Why? We allow them to function within our civil society. I am sorry the Pope and the Bishops do not like the fact that we the people think they should pay for a minimum of medical coverage. If they do not like it, let them figure out how to use shell or holding companies or get out of the business of providing education and health care (which they make a profit at anyway--remember usary laws?).

Ethics (what is right and proper in a civil society) trumps morals every time in the arena of civil society. We outlaw human sacrifice and polygamy, why not hypocrasy in public?

Bingo! We (the prople) have the right to enforce laws on the civil-social behavior of corporations and churches. Why? We allow them to function within our civil society. I am sorry the Pope and the Bishops do not like the fact that we the people think they should pay for a minimum of medical coverage. If they do not like it, let them figure out how to use shell or holding companies or get out of the business of providing education and health care (which they make a profit at anyway--remember usary laws?).

Ethics (what is right and proper in a civil society) trumps morals every time in the arena of civil society. We outlaw human sacrifice and polygamy, why not hypocrasy in public?
You mean get most of the politicians out of the "whorehouses" and put them into the prisons? :eek:

Are you saying politicos have a lot in common with professional women?:eek:

Works for me!:D

This is a joke: sometimes the "Second Amendment Remedies" really appeal to me:rolleyes:, I do not even wear leather so do not think I am serious!

... As a catholic, she shouldn't go for bread, or wine, because, as others have pointed out, she willfully goes against doctrine, which means she can't have communion. But, for the priest to make the decision to refuse... I was always of the opinion that this choice was not the priests to make. It is the ... supplicants (?) knowledge of the rejection of the doctrine that should also trigger the rejection of the host.

Thomas would have the answer.

... As a catholic, she shouldn't go for bread, or wine, because, as others have pointed out, she willfully goes against doctrine, which means she can't have communion. But, for the priest to make the decision to refuse... I was always of the opinion that this choice was not the priests to make. It is the ... supplicants (?) knowledge of the rejection of the doctrine that should also trigger the rejection of the host.

Thomas would have the answer.

The priest knows he shouldnt give communion in that case. It has nothing to do with decision , he was doing what he knew was right according to doctrines. I feel bad for that priest.

The priest knows he shouldnt give communion in that case. It has nothing to do with decision , he was doing what he knew was right according to doctrines. I feel bad for that priest.
Yeah really . . . since when does Catholicism have anything to do with an Individuals decisions? :D

The priest(s) are born that way.

They can't change the way they are.

It's their birthright to do as they please.

And we know what sort of sacraments pleases them most.

I suppose.

The priest(s) are born that way.

They can't change the way they are.

It's their birthright to do as they please.

And we know what sort of sacraments pleases them most.

I suppose.

Ummmm the catholic church happens to be the most diverse religion as pope john paul did even kiss the koran knowing it has a true interpretation and the church gets attacked for two reasons. Its antiabortion and its antihomosexuality. It gets lied about as well. I saw a major news report on opus dei that was an outright lie about the church so that may tell you something.

This is what I always hated with Christianity. I am a Christian since baptism and whenever I hear something like this from the news I always feel that some priests fail to remember that no matter what, we are all children of God.

Hi guys —

As ever, the truth of this situation is more complex than the rumour-mongers would allow, or are even interested in ... let me offer a view from the other side of the fence.

The root of the issue is that Ms Johnson presented herself to the priest presiding at her mother's funeral, moments before Mass, and confronted him with her situation as a lesbian in what appears to be a 'what-you-gonna-do-about-it' situation.

The priest wanted to confirm some facts with Ms Johnson, but she left the sacristy and the priest was prevented from following by her partner who barred his way.

+++

So what is he to do? She has declared herself unfit to receive communion on a number of grounds, she is not in communion with the community of faith, and then presented herself for communion. I see nothing other than a challenge, and I see nothing other than he, thus challenged, can do but act in accordance with his, and my, faith.

+++

At Christmas Midnight Mass, I see people present themselves for communion who are strangers to the church and the parish. I've seen people palm the Eucharist after receiving it, and walk away grinning.

I have never seen a priest in my parish refuse anyone communion.

Nor do I believe they should. Christ supped with thieves and sinners, harlots and tax collectors ... and he never inquired of anyone's sexuality ... but if confronted in some hypocritical or pharisaic fashion, Christ was quite outspoken in his condemnation and contempt.

But when a priest is challenged before hand, when by presenting themselves for communion the person is knowing mocking what he and the Church believes, then I expect him to act accordingly, and would be seriously pissed off if he didn't.

It's a bit like telling a policeman you're going to break a law, and then breaking the law, to see what he'll do about it ...

Christ didn't take shit from anyone, and nor should we.

Ms Johnson has declared in interviews her 'troubled' relationship with the church. She attends mass, and receives communion, infrequently, by which I read she is not refused, and she knows that.

And she knew that if she had avoided making a statement before mass, she would have done so here. But she had another agenda in mind.

But by confronting the priest before mass, she's throwing down the gauntlet. What happens next determines who the hypocrite will be. On this occasion the priest acted correctly, and she was shown up for her hypocrisy.

Shame on her, and shame on her for turning her mother's funeral into a self-serving publicity stunt.

I'm sure she is a troubled soul. Who doesn't struggle with their faith?

The issue of sexuality is one that vexes me, and I have made my feelings known, but I will not organise stunts to give a salacious press something to write about, and certainly not at a family member's funeral.

God bless,

Thomas

This is what I always hated with Christianity. I am a Christian since baptism and whenever I hear something like this from the news I always feel that some priests fail to remember that no matter what, we are all children of God.
Speak for yourself, I'm a Child of Cain :D

This is what I always hated with Christianity.
Really? But then, it would seem, you never 'got it' anyway?

... no matter what, we are all children of God.
Sadly, that's not the case.

If your heart is full of hate, then you have removed yourself from God's love, and have surrendered your birthright.

I urge you to consider where this hate arises, and deal with it, for as long as you harbour it, you keep God at distance.

And saying 'because of what he did' doesn't cut it as an excuse.

If you hate another, then all you are doing is poisoning yourself with hate. If you forgive the other, even when they offend you, then you retain your own purity and fidelity to your beliefs. Criticising others is easy. Forgiving others is harder.

But if one reads the facts, and considers them, then by her own account Ms Johnson attends a Catholic Church, and receives Catholic Communion. On this occasion however, she decided to challenge the Church ... one or other was going to be a hypocrite — the priest for administering communion to one he knows, by her own admission, is unfit to receive it, or she, for going up to receive it having already stated she is unfit.

Let's be clear, it's not the case that she was refused because she is a sinner — sinners are not refused from communion — nor because she is a lesbian — homosexuals are not refused either — she was refused because she was trying to make a mockery of the Rite.

The idea that everyone and anyone is entitled to whatever they want, just because they want it, is indefensible, but that's what Ms Johnson's argument rests on.

God bless,

Thomas

I agree with Thomas that the issue is probably more complicated then how the article presents it. I have no way of knowing what exactly transpired and I don't know the heart or mind of anyone involved. But I do know that news are presented as simply and dramatically as possible for added interest. I believe that most of us know this, but it is easy to to forget oneself and we always want to persecute injustice when we see it, at least within the walls of this site.

Back