Tarot cards

Dear Sacredstar,

I forgot to welcome you to comparative-religion.com last time, so... welcome!

I'm glad you agree with me! If some of you reading this forum would like to see the Osho Zen tarot pictures, you can click on the following link:

http://www.osho.com/Main.cfm?Area=Magazine&Sub1Menu=Tarot&Sub2Menu=OshoZenTarot&Language=English

Mind you, I am not affiliated in any way to Osho (apart that he was human and so am I :D ), but it's just interesting to see the pictures. Plus, if you want to, you can pick out a card for today, or click for a tarot spread.

Osho was a great philsopher--I'm just going through one of his books called "The Art of Tea".

Thank you, it is a great and peaceful domain....

Sacredstar

Well I just got the gilded tarot deck its a standard deck so its easy to use and find books that interpret them though unfortunately I havent spent as much time as I would like with them jst yet but the book that comes with it is most helpful and the artwork divine, something I think I shall treasure for years.
One word of advice is make sure you find a deck that is appealing to you, look online before you buy, if your unhappy with a deck or you find the images unappealing then your readings probably wont be the same,:)
Besides it makes more sense to find a deck you are going to want to own forever rather than a new deck every few months ;)

A few months ago, well maybe longer someone noted The Gothic Tarot of Vampires, I wanted to add to the discription of the Cards and a basic review. There is alot of beautiful artwork and once one can understand the symbolism of the cards(as someone else also noted) and has a basic idea of what the cards mean it is a great deck to work with. I would personally not suggest this deck to a beginner.

Each card is not labeled with a name of the card. The Major arcana, are listed simply via Roman Numerals. The Minor Arcana have a symbol and a number. To a beginner this can be very confusing.

In addition to this, the instruction booklet has a few errors which might also confuse a few individuals. Under the describtion of the Major arcana the numbers and the cards don't follow numerical order. XI and VIII (specifically the numbers themselves, not the meaning of the card) are mixed up. [in other words, the name and meaning are in the right order but those two numbers are reversed] I kept looking at VIII knowing it was supposed to be justice yet reading in the book it was Strength which made no damn sence to me at first. untill i realized what had happend. i felt like a goof.

Unlike many other decks this instruction booklet does not give reverse meanings. Granted using reverse meanings is up to the reader, but i have found it has helped to explain the situation a little better, rather then (in some cases) lead the questioner astray, but as I said it is up to the reader, and every one has there own personal opinion and adaptation. Sometimes it is good to know the reverse meanings even if you don't use them.

On a positive note the symbolizm of most of the cards are very beautiful and easy to understand or in some cases rationalize. I must admit XIII (death) is one of my favorite cards. For as many people know death isn't necessarily a bad card, merely the begining of new things. The picture deplicts the embrace of an individual. I think that qualifies as the begining of new things.

In relation to buying your first deck of tarot

My first Tarot deck was the Vampire Tarot by nathalie hertz. My mother bought them for me because i liked the name. (i have a vampire fetich can you tell)The cards worked and, the picture represented the name of the card(not specifically the symbolic meaning), which at the time was what i needed. I guess the point i am trying to make is this, grab what calls to you, follow your intuition.

I am sure I have probably just reiterated what many people have said. my appologies.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to rid yourself of a deck? My first deck is the Hanson-Roberts - it's based on Rider-Waite. After a few years I felt the need to work with a different deck and picked up the Motherpeace round deck. In the store it seemed to work for me, but once I'd got it home and tried working with it for a few days, I realized I couldn't use it after all. That was a couple of years ago and I've held on to it because I don't know what to do. My (sceptic-agnostic) partner tried to put it in the paper recycling, but I objected. Asking the local used bookstore or esoteric shop if they want to buy/take it seems the best, but is there anything in particular (cleansing/release ritual) I must do beforehand? Has anyone else gotten rid of a deck before?

Scarlet Pimpernel said:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to rid yourself of a deck?
Asking the local used bookstore or esoteric shop if they want to buy/take it seems the best, but is there anything in particular (cleansing/release ritual) I must do beforehand? Has anyone else gotten rid of a deck before?

Well, since you didn't actually use the deck much at all I would think it has very few connections to you. If you had used the deck extensively then it might make sense to do some sort of cleansing or banishing on it first.

Since the new moon was last night it's a perfect time to do a banishing or cleansing of it though if you want to try it anyways. I'd get a brand new cloth to wrap it in, then put the deck on a tabletop and pour out a small circle of salt around it to enclose the deck. Then draw a banishing pentagram over it and state that all ties between it and you are severed. (They show how to draw both invoking and banishing pentagrams at this website -- the banishing Earth one is a good one for all-purpose use.) If you don't want to draw pentagrams then draw a cross or other meaningful holy symbol instead and state your banishing phrase.

Then use the new cloth to pick up the deck (try to not touch the deck directly with your hand if you can) and wrap it up in the new cloth. Then give it away or whatever you are planning to do!

There is more information on how you can cleanse or clear a tarot deck at this website and also at this website. You'll find more if you do a web search for "cleanse tarot deck."

Back