Helena P. Blavatsky

One story that I have heard was that she lived with a guy and he would find strange notes that looked like her hand writing , but she said they were left by spirits . desert rat

Desert Rat,

I'm presently in Tucson on vacation, so I'm just down the road from you!

Blavatsky and Olcott took on the Catholic and Christian missionaries and were successful against the missionaries to a certain degree. For example, Olcott single-handedly took on the Christian missionaries in Sri Lanka. The missionaries were within inches of 'total victory' in Sri Lanka, but years of work (and a lot of money) were wiped out by a single man -- Olcott. Take a look:

Henry Steel Olcott and the Sinhalese Buddhist Revival

As a result, the Christians made a special effort to spread negative rumors about Blavatsky and Olcott. As a result, she was attacked, terrible things were said about her, and the things you are referrring to are untruths spread as part of this large and successful smear campaign.

Thank goodness Olcott succeeded. He even became a national hero in Sri Lanka, and has a national holiday in Sri Lanka named after him for his 'victory' against the Christian missionaries.

We must draw a distinction of the "old lady" and the Theosophist Organization of which by the way TWO exists. You might be wondering, two organizations? now, which one is the true word of gaawd? I say neither,both are tainted by the typical infighting and bickering religious AND spiritual organizations are so much credited for. After about 100-years time past, ANY human organizations that has membership dues and structure, turn to kaka. That is an occult law. :) She was a great lady and I greatly admire her work but as for the organization(s) they are the shadows of their former self. I had one person who I admire in Holland just quit the organization and joined some Buddhist sect, she saw what I see. Why even bother with membership and other nonsense when you can just read her books?

Hermes,

First, there are more than two Theosophical organizations. Second, what makes you think this site is sponsored by any of them? It is not; just some independent folk who admire & think & try to live as HPB advocated - altruistically.

Oh yes, 'reading books' - a dead end if ever there was.

The biggest organization is The Theosophical Society - Adyar.
Home | The Theosophical Society International Headquarters, Adyar
American Branch (Wheaton)
The Theosophical Society in America
The Wheaton Branch's website is particularly good because it has a lot of audio and video files that can be downloaded.

The second is The Theosophical Society - Pasedena.
The Theosophical Society

The third biggest is the United Lodge of Theosophists
United Lodge of Theosophists

Most people don't know it, but the fourth biggest organization is something called the Temple of the People, near Los Angeles, California.

I thought the Point Loma group was part of the ULT. I guess this is because (apparently) the two separate organizations host their Theosophical conference together every summer in or near San Diego, California. (This year it was in Wheaton, Illinois.)

International Theosophy Conferences

Actually Nick, the ITC has evolved in the last 4 or 5 years into a genuine inter-theosophical gathering. ULT, Pt Loma, Pasadena & Adyar/Wheaton, plus non-affiliated folks are all represented. In short, brotherhood is blossoming!

The Pt. Loma TS holds it own separate gathering before the ITC and then joins in the ITC.

A little history lesson...the original Theosophical society has SPLIT into TWO, after how many copycats sprung up, is beside the point. This was when they had a original crisis over Krishnamurti.. You did not know that? These organizations are no better than the church they are so fond of criticizing. After the "old lady" died they bickered over power, money and who was the most Orthodox representative of the original, now at that point they were DEAD in a spiritual sense. They are nothing more than repositories of Blavatsky's work and worship her as some minor god. Reading her and thinking about what you think you understand will take you further than carrying a card of the society and going to meetings. Why not just start your own church, it is very popular in the USA.
Hermes,

First, there are more than two Theosophical organizations. Second, what makes you think this site is sponsored by any of them? It is not; just some independent folk who admire & think & try to live as HPB advocated - altruistically.

Oh yes, 'reading books' - a dead end if ever there was.

Back