Punishment & Forgiveness

~Believer~

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

To me, it is natural to punish to maintain order whatever is the act, When i was like 8 years old, i went out for half a day, and came back to see the mess i created, everyone looking for me and my mother was furious i got a good slap, a lecture and stuck in the house for a month, looking back i feel i learned that i needed to be punished (Guilt) , but i was also looking for Forgiveness which came from mother after a week in the form of a good meal (may Allah bless you mother) that's one way to look at it.

but what about the divine? in Islam Allah is merciful only by Repentance you shall be forgiven for any sin, if there is no Repentance there will be punishment which may be in this life or in the afterlife.

That is between Allah and the believer, if the case is between two persons, they should go to the higher authority, parents in case of family matters, or court if it is serious :). in all situations Allah favor forgiveness, if you forgive this act will not go unrewarded (And let not those of virtue among you and wealth swear not to give [aid] to their relatives and the needy and the emigrants for the cause of Allah , and let them pardon and overlook. Would you not like that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.) 24:22

i want to learn more about other religions' views or your own on this matter, so everyone is welcome :)

I don't agree at all, but I understand that it is your way. It is the tools you were given as a child to deal with these kinds of situations. I was given other tools. I see punishment as a rather brutal way to make someone understand they did something wrong without the need to actually understand what they did wrong and why. But I believe that mistakes can be explained with enough patience, and by explaining the mistake understanding is created, and I wish for more understanding in all aspects of our life.

I can't tie it to a religious belief though, sorry about that.

But I do agree with this
That is between Allah and the believer

well you are absolutely right and i totally agree with you, if the case was between humans because we are not perfect sometimes the judgment isnt just (you see in my example how my mother reacted (punishment first explaining later) she was emotionally effected :) and i do not blame her you see when i was five i swallowed pills i found in a drawer thinking it was candy :D and i was about to die she was stressed from that that she got white hair strands, my childhood was a big challenge for her and i can't be grateful enough for everything she did.

so back to the topic, humans are not perfect as i said earlier but Allah is, there is punishment only if the believer know what that he is doing something wrong and don't care about the consequences of this act, usually by thinking that no one is aware and forgetting all together about the Just, and for that allah give chances for the believer to repent until there is no excuses (And We place the scales of justice for the Day of Resurrection, so no soul will be treated unjustly at all. And if there is [even] the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it forth. And sufficient are We as accountant.)

G-d should nudge us if she/he is Just. None of us are perfect and sin (stray from the path of righteousness or "the good red road"). Punishment could be something as minor as picking our conscious or major as the tribulations of Job.

There must be (IMHO) a feedback loop from the D-vine to the individual, else how does the I meet the Thou?

well you are absolutely right and i totally agree with you, if the case was between humans because we are not perfect sometimes the judgment isnt just (you see in my example how my mother reacted (punishment first explaining later) she was emotionally effected :) and i do not blame her you see when i was five i swallowed pills i found in a drawer thinking it was candy :D and i was about to die she was stressed from that that she got white hair strands, my childhood was a big challenge for her and i can't be grateful enough for everything she did.
Yes, we are in agreement, I also understand your others reaction.

so back to the topic, humans are not perfect as i said earlier but Allah is, there is punishment only if the believer know what that he is doing something wrong and don't care about the consequences of this act, usually by thinking that no one is aware and forgetting all together about the Just, and for that allah give chances for the believer to repent until there is no excuses (And We place the scales of justice for the Day of Resurrection, so no soul will be treated unjustly at all. And if there is [even] the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it forth. And sufficient are We as accountant.)
On this I cannot comment since I'm somewhat agnostic. But interesting points and worth discussing.

Back