Better than others!

Nothing wrong with pride, Tea. Especially when it is deserved.

Pride, like just about everything in life, needs to be balanced. Too much and one is a jerk, too little and one is demeaning their own worth.

The Greeks had it right. Balance in all Things.

In this instance I was speaking of pride as arrogance and superiority over others. Seeing something in a way that people that see it in another way must be wrong, even stupid, for example. You know I have a thing about being able to see things from different views.

I try to see it more as being satisfied with what I'm doing. Basically just different wording, but feels...better.

Jesus was pretty arrogant if the gospel accounts have any credence!

Jesus was pretty arrogant if the gospel accounts have any credence!

I can only assess the gospels with human logic and emotion of course, but I'm thinking, if you are the son of God and you're trying to convince people of that, there is no way to be otherwise. Even if you made the proclamation with folded hands on bended knee, the very idea of someone saying they are the son of God would be deemed arrogant, whether it were true or not.

I can only assess the gospels with human logic and emotion of course, but I'm thinking, if you are the son of God and you're trying to convince people of that, there is no way to be otherwise. Even if you made the proclamation with folded hands on bended knee, the very idea of someone saying they are the son of God would be deemed arrogant, whether it were true or not.

Very true ...
Some people also mistake healthy self esteem for arrogance ...
I've found the highly critical to be the most arrogant especially if they dislike something w/a passion - its as if they can't stop themself from beating a dead horse ...
And then there are those who innocently take things too personal & those who are simply arrogant that twist what was said to something completely different to be viewed as a victim as they pubicly humilate someone ...
All we have to know & believe is no one is better ... :D

"Some people also mistake healthy self esteem for arrogance ..."

--> This is called being bi-polar. There are a lot more bi-polar around us than we realize.

"I've found the highly critical to be the most arrogant especially if they dislike something w/a passion - its as if they can't stop themself from beating a dead horse ..."

--> This is also being bi-polar. The part about becoming involuntarily angry really identifies this as bi-polar behavior.

"And then there are those who innocently take things too personal & those who are simply arrogant that twist what was said to something completely different to be viewed as a victim as they pubicly humilate someone ..."

--> This is also being bi-polar and having a toxic personality. The vast majority of toxic people will not admit they are toxic, are in denial about it, and will become obnoxious if it comes up for discussion

That's nowhere near the disorder as I understand it, Nick, and I doubt that was what Zinga was alluding to. But we all have to make up our own mind

NIMH · Bipolar Disorder
People with bipolar disorder experience unusually intense emotional states that occur in distinct periods called "mood episodes." Each mood episode represents a drastic change from a person’s usual mood and behavior. An overly joyful or overexcited state is called a manic episode, and an extremely sad or hopeless state is called a depressive episode. Sometimes, a mood episode includes symptoms of both mania and depression. This is called a mixed state. People with bipolar disorder also may be explosive and irritable during a mood episode.

Bipolar disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
About 3% of people have bipolar disorder worldwide, a proportion consistent for both men and women and across racial and ethnic groups. The cause is not clearly understood, but both genetic and environmental risk factors are believed to play a role

Bi-polar is a relatively new term. It use to be called Manic-depression and refereed to moods rapidly going from one extreme to the other. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between that and arrogance though. Could be that those who see others as arrogant are displaying signs of the disorder. Then again I may just be arrogant for thinking that. On my, I'm getting dizzy again...:rolleyes:

One of the best examples of manic-depressive arrogance is the preacher in the movie Inherit the Wind.

Inherit the Wind (1960) - IMDb

This movie is also an excellent example of how religion can actually encourage, mask, and condone manic-depressive arrogant behavior, with devastating results, just like in the movie.

NJ, you are right that manic-depression can consist of mood swings that happen quickly, but I think this can be misleading, in that it sounds like manic-depression episodes usually include rapid mood-swings from happy to sad and back again, which they often do not include. Several good examples of mood-swings that are not from happy to sad and back again are the textbook examples from the bi-polar preacher in the movie.

Yes, the terms manic-depressive and bi-polar are interchangeable (mania and depression being the two 'poles' that 'polar' refers to).

All of this ties in nicely with the theme of this thread, which is the use of religion to justify negative and inappropriate behavior.

That's nowhere near the disorder as I understand it, Nick, and I doubt that was what Zinga was alluding to. But we all have to make up our own mind

ACOT, you are correct - I was referring to rudeness ...
I do know a few bi-polar people, one in particular who is not able to take meds has never shown any signs of arrogance but difficulty coping ...

Why is it some Christians, usually of the more fundamentalist 'born again' dogma, seem to think they are better than non believers, and even other Christians of different doctrines? However their behaviour can leave a lot to be desired, and is often worse, than the 'heathen', and Christians of other doctrines they appear to despise!
Christians also are on a journey, each traveling at his own speed which may vary from one encounter to the next. Some might acknowledge that a person who acts superior might actually be acting out a defense mechanism. Are you intimidating? (I suspect not)

A good course of action might be to allow them their attitude while maintaining an aspect of being the adult in the room. Assisting their growth can enhance your own.

Christians also are on a journey, each traveling at his own speed which may vary from one encounter to the next. Some might acknowledge that a person who acts superior might actually be acting out a defense mechanism. Are you intimidating? (I suspect not)

A good course of action might be to allow them their attitude while maintaining an aspect of being the adult in the room. Assisting their growth can enhance your own.

Growth? Not sure what you mean?

Q,

I think he means spiritual, intellectual, and emotional growth. Religious zealots who use 'ecclesiastical defense mechanisms' such as Willys is mentioning definitely need to to do some emotional growing up (and I have met many of these kinds of zealots in my life.)

I think I have done all the 'growing' I am likely to do, or want to do.

I think all of us have a lot of spiritual, intellectual, and emotional growth ahead of us, and I do not think it is going to stop just because we die, go to heaven, etc.

But I guess this is just a difference between my belief system and yours.

Do you know I am not entirely sure exactly what it feels like to be spiritual. Even when I was religious as a kid, I never had any feeling that there was anything out there.

"Do you know I am not entirely sure exactly what it feels like to be spiritual."

--> Then it's something you might want to explore.

I would add that the spiritual feeling you get from Christianity might feel different than, say, the feeling of spirituality from Buddhism. Even within Buddhism there are greatly differing types of spiritual experiences. You should look around and check out the different kinds there are out there. Christianity focuses only on a devotional type of spirituality, but there are definitely types of spirituality out there that are not of a devotional nature. A devotional type of spirituality would never work for me, and perhaps it won't work for you either. (I see no need to 'glorify' or worship or praise God, and I do not think God wants or 'needs' to be worshipped or praised either.) To me such ideas make no sense at all. I know that some people have a 'need' to worship God, and I respect that, but that doesn't mean I have to need to worship God. On the contrary, I get my spirituality from different experiences altogether.

I don't appear to have a need for anything outside of myself. I am comfortable with the way I am, even if I am far from perfect.

I don't appear to have a need for anything outside of myself. I am comfortable with the way I am, even if I am far from perfect.
That shouldn't be a problem. That you participate on a forum designed as 'spiritual' shows you have some curiosity and/or are open to external input. That could be a growth stimulant, just depending on your own receptivity. That you don't pursue growth or feel a need for growth doesn't make you a bad person. Perhaps you are in a good balance. You could be a positive influence for others, assisting in their growth without even knowing.

To your own credit

So, back to the 'why do some think they are better' question. Perhaps you are the adult in the room without even knowing it. Pass on any opportunity to be the 'moral judge'. Unless of course, you are a judge dispensing morality.

Back