The binding/sacrifice of...

Marcialou

We are stardust
Reaction score
I know only a little about Islam (although probably more than the average American.) Some years ago I learned from a co-worker that the Koran tells the a story very similar to one found in Genesis. In both versions God commands Abraham to sacrifice his son on an alter. The difference is that in the Koran the son is not Isaac, born to Abraham's wife, Sarah, but Ishmael, born to Sarah's handmaiden, Hagar.

In both narratives, Abraham goes along with God's order but in the end God rewards him for his obedience and lets him sacrifice a ram instead.

Comments anyone?

Hi Marcialou!

Thank you for asking the question and wanting to learn more about Muslims and their faith. Qur'an does not mention the name of the son to be sacrificed. Rather, the conclusion that it was Ishmael a.s. is deduced from the verses 99-109 in chapter 37:
"
99. He said: "I will go to my Lord! He will surely guide me
100. "O my Lord! Grant me a righteous (son)!"
101. So We gave him the good news of a forbearing son.
102. Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with him, he said: "O my son! I have seen in a vision that I offer thee in sacrifice: now see what is thy view!" (The son) said: "O my father! Do as thou art commanded: thou will find me, if Allah so wills, one of the steadfast!"
103. So when they had both submitted (to Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice),
104. We called out to him "O Abraham! ...
105. "Thou hast already fulfilled the vision!" - thus indeed do We reward those who do right."

Regardless of which son it was, Muslims are taught to respect both Ishmael and Isaac equally. Both men are said to be Prophets of God Almighty in Islam.

For further study about the Islamic perspective on this issue, please visit this link:
The Sacrifice Of Abraham

Also, to add: there are Muslims out there who claim that Allah (God) SWT never asked Abraham pbuh to sacrifice his son--based on the Islamic Scripture. An interesting article is found here (worth checking out):
Quran-Islam.org - True Islam

The argument in the above article makes sense from an Islamic standpoint because:

a) Allah SWT does not require sacrifices, especially not humans being sacrificed ritualistically. After all, the basic Muslim argument against Christianity is against human sacrifice. Christians believe that Jesus pbuh was sacrificed on the cross to save humanity. Muslims argue that such sacrifice never happened.
b) Allah SWT is Independent of all His creation: all prayers and other religious duties we do are for our own good, so that we may be close to Him. He has no need for anything we have to offer.
c) Islamic scholars teach that dreams come from Allah SWT but also they can be satan's way to lead us astray. Abraham pbuh had a dream to sacrifice his son. Perhaps, this was a satan-inspired dream and Allah SWT intervened?

Allah SWT knows best.

Amica,

Thanks for your in depth response to my post. It sounds like the interpretation of the near-sacrifice that I was taught in religious school 50+ years ago was essentially the same as the traditional Muslim one. I like the interpretation you cite which states that Satan tricked Abraham into thinking that Allah demanded the sacrifice.

Rabbi Michael Lerner retells a slightly similar story. He agrees unequivocally that God did not demand the sacrifice. He would never do such a thing. Without invoking Satan, he claims that Abraham imagined the supposed command because he himself had been mistreated by his father as a child. Abraham’s greatness was not that he was willing to obey God, no matter what, but that he finally realized that sacrificing Isaac was not God’s will at all.

I

Hi Marcialou-

For sure, the Noble Qur'an came to confirm the Message (OT and NT) that came before, and to assert some new teachings. Even if the sacrifice of his son was the test from Allah SWT to Prophet Abraham pbuh, it should not come to us as a surprise. Abraham pbuh lived in the times when human sacrifice was common , except that people sacrificed to false gods/idols like Baal and others. By testing Abraham pbuh, for those of us who believe that it was test from God SWT, then perhaps the test was: how readily will this servant of God SWT sacrifice for the One True God vs. an idol?

But Our Lord SWT saves and helps humans make the right choice. Elhamdulillah! :)

Amica,

Thanks. This gives me a lot to think about. Perhaps I should add the Qur'an to my reading list, after the Hebrew and Christian Bibles, which I have yet to complete. :rolleyes:

Amica,

As you say, Abraham lived in a time when human sacrifice was common. People were superstitious and probably thought it would help the crops grow and make their armies victorious in battle. Once they got the idea in their heads, they needed to do it for their peace of mind. Old superstitions die hard, so animal sacrifice may have served to wean them from the abhorrent practice.

That's the psycho-social interpretation. A religious view might be that God told Abraham "You don't need to do this anymore. I actually prefer mutton." ;)

BTW, Jews stopped sacrificing animals in 70 CE when the Romans destroyed the Temple.

Hi Marcialou-

I think that you are doing it the right way: reading the Old and New Testaments first, then Qur'an. All three are Revelations and, I believe, continuation of each other. Of course, the Noble Qur'an is different in the way it is written: not a historical account, does not have a chronological story telling approach to it, etc. Once you get to the Qur'an for your reading project, I would recommend an additional commentary of the Qur'an to help you better understand it. Of course, good old prayer (if you pray--in your own way) and open-mindedness will help you in the process. Understanding the context of each verse is important too.

Check out this website, posted and updated by brother Shabir Alli. You can also get a free, English translation of the interpretation of the Qur'an: http://www.quranspeaks.com/

Wishing you all the best. :)

Hi Marcialou-

Of course, the Noble Qur'an is different in the way it is written: not a historical account, does not have a chronological story telling approach to it, etc.

Amica,

When you say the Qur'an is not a historical account do you mean that

1. it is not written like a history in chronological order or
  2. the stories were told to impart moral lessons and did not necessarily happen?
I suspect you mean the first, but my understanding of the words "not a historical account" is the second. I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Yes, the #1 is what I meant. Thank you for asking me to clarify. For example, you will notice that some of the stories in the Noble Qur'an (e.g. about Moses or Abraham pbuh) are rather scattered or not as detailed. Reasons, according to the Islamic scholars, are that a) Qur'an is retelling about men who are already mentioned in the previous Revelations, b) Qur'an is emphasizing the main points/lessons about the Prophets pbut and c) Qur'an may be correcting certain accounts and introducing the newer details.

I know only a little about Islam (although probably more than the average American.) Some years ago I learned from a co-worker that the Koran tells the a story very similar to one found in Genesis. In both versions God commands Abraham to sacrifice his son on an alter. The difference is that in the Koran the son is not Isaac, born to Abraham's wife, Sarah, but Ishmael, born to Sarah's handmaiden, Hagar.

In both narratives, Abraham goes along with God's order but in the end God rewards him for his obedience and lets him sacrifice a ram instead.

Comments anyone?

If the story has any credence it is appalling that Abraham would even consider for one second sacrificing his son, even if at the last minute the deity said in effect, 'Only joking!' The sort of deity who would play those sort of nasty games is ghastly!

Q, the sick, vicious God of the Old Testament does not exist. You have nothing to worry about. These crazy stories do nothing but remove credibility from the Old Testament.

Wait, I have a new idea. Perhaps these crazy stories themselves are the 'killings' that are mentioned. These stories are put out there, as a test of our willingness to acquiesce to stupidity. The sacrifice that is being asked of us is to reject these very stories. Finally, it all makes sense!

If the story has any credence it is appalling that Abraham would even consider for one second sacrificing his son, even if at the last minute the deity said in effect, 'Only joking!' The sort of deity who would play those sort of nasty games is ghastly!
Yup, If you take that story on face value it is pretty appalling!

It was written in a different time though and oddly enough, is meant to show the compassionate nature of God. I know, it doesn't seem like that now, but in that day and age it did. Abraham had faith in God you see and knew full well when he said to his son, "Come-on Jr. let's go for a walk." that his son would be spared.

Of course the lambs folks may take a different view. ;)

Yup, If you take that story on face value it is pretty appalling!

It was written in a different time though and oddly enough, is meant to show the compassionate nature of God. I know, it doesn't seem like that now, but in that day and age it did. Abraham had faith in God you see and knew full well when he said to his son, "Come-on Jr. let's go for a walk." that his son would be spared.

Of course the lambs folks may take a different view. ;)

Did Abraham really think his son would be spared?

Did Abraham really think his son would be spared?

Who knows? Nobody, as far as I'm concerned, or only God, as others would say. There are many different interpretations to choose from. Amica cited one which claims it was Satan, not God, who appeared in Abraham's dream. I like the one which describes Abraham as confused about what God really wanted from him. See posts 3 and 4 for more details.

Who knows? Nobody, as far as I'm concerned, or only God, as others would say. There are many different interpretations to choose from. Amica cited one which claims it was Satan, not God, who appeared in Abraham's dream. I like the one which describes Abraham as confused about what God really wanted from him. See posts 3 and 4 for more details.

I hope the story is untrue.

I hope it's not true ... because if that's the case, few of us will pass!

With good reason. Would the God you believe in tell you to do something that He's already defined as sin? Would He not expect you to think carefully before you act: to consider whether you are maybe hallucinating, having a bad dream, or unduly influenced by evil companions?

I think your instinct to disobey is a deep down sense that to follow a voice that tells you to kill your innocent son is tantamount to flying an airplane into a building because you think it's what God wants.

Just my opinion.

With good reason. Would the God you believe in tell you to do something that He's already defined as sin? Would He not expect you to think carefully before you act: to consider whether you are maybe hallucinating, having a bad dream, or unduly influenced by evil companions?

I think your instinct to disobey is a deep down sense that to follow a voice that tells you to kill your innocent son is tantamount to flying an airplane into a building because you think it's what God wants.

Just my opinion.

Perhaps that's the real test. ;)

"...to follow a voice that tells you to kill your innocent son is tantamount to flying an airplane into a building because you think it's what God wants."

--> Well said.

Back