Jewish Mom and Muslim Father?

my marriage was is complicated, we thought we were Muslims now we are more Christian. Our kids are learning about Christianity although they are free to choose their own religion when they are old enough.

So teach them about both faiths and let them be free to go either or other way.

on a side note I am rather surprised at the amount of anti Christian venom and bile that fills many of the posters here :confused:

As a Muslim-turned-Christian maybe you can help me understand something. I have my suspicions about it but I'm curious if you will validate them. Why is it that the secular World seems to fight so much harder against Christianity than Islam? After all, if you compare the 2 religions and their treatment of people the secular World champion the cause of (gays, ethnic groups other than Jews, women), Islam, hands down, treats these people far more harshly. You would think the secular World would be directing much more of their attention and effort upon Islam.

Why do you think that doesn't happen today?

The OP asks: "What would the child be if the father is Muslim and mother Jewish? " I just do not understand what liberal Christian belief or your view on the Exodus has to do with that question. Sorry if I sounded terse.
It wasn't the terseness. It was the fact that you quoted my last post, so I thought you were referring specifically to what I said.

My answer: The children would be human. Muslim would probably consider them Muslim. Jews would definitely consider them Jewish. Bigots would consider them Muslim and Jewish.

But they'd really be what they choose to be.

Why is it that the secular World seems to fight so much harder against Christianity than Islam? After all, if you compare the 2 religions and their treatment of people the secular World champion the cause of (gays, ethnic groups other than Jews, women), Islam, hands down, treats these people far more harshly. You would think the secular World would be directing much more of their attention and effort upon Islam.

Why do you think that doesn't happen today?

Because the secular world, in the US, have grown up with Christianity around them. They have often felt the religion has been 'shoved down their throat' and they react against it. I'm guessing the secular world in the middle east has a greater beef with Islam then Christianity.

Because the secular world, in the US, have grown up with Christianity around them. They have often felt the religion has been 'shoved down their throat' and they react against it. I'm guessing the secular world in the middle east has a greater beef with Islam then Christianity.

yeah something like that, baggage and ignorance, its a topsy turvy world.

Ok. I'll accept that. Seems rather obvious now that you say it, but... it never really occurred to me.

BuddyJesus_zps553edb63.jpg

Cool story bro. About Buddy Jesus. I was at work, where among other things we bid on projects. A huge company sent out a broadcast email to my company and several dozen others, wanting us to bid on a project they had coming up. The guy that broadcasted the message didn't blind cc the list of us. He just carbon copied us. Well, some Dumbo at one of the bidding companies did a "reply all" with his initial message to the customer. We ALL got copied in. But that wasn't it. He did it again, and again, and again with different questions, even changing topics and talking about a project he already had going.

It became an irritation so one of the other companies did a reply all and told the guy to knock it off. Then another guy from another company jumped in, replying all... then another... then another... reply all... reply all..... The "conversation" devolved into hurled insults, most all of which were loosely related to Chuck Norris. It got crazy. Everyone's inbox was filling at a record pace. "ding! you've got mail!" "ding!" "ding!" "ding!"

So after about an hour of this with all the messages getting more and more distasteful, I picked out one of Dumbo's emails to the customer. The guy was, like I said, talking about some other project he was already doing for the guy and something was going wrong, blah blah blah blah.

I quoted his message and replied with a short and simple..... picture of Buddy Jesus like the one you just replied to. That's all I did. No additional commentary. Just Buddy Jesus... thanking Dumbo for causing this insanity.

There was an eerie silence for a few minutes... and then....

OMG...

*EVERYONE* erupted with laughter, replying all with praise for the post. The mailbox was constantly dinging with ROFL! LMAO! etc. Ding! You've got mail! Ding! Ding! Ding Ding Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

And guess what. The company that offered the bid finally chimes in, and broadcasts a short message.

"That's IT! I've had it! You are all hereby removed from our vendor list, and will never receive another bid! This is final, so don't write back!

And just like that.. *boom* my company lost a huge customer.

And then I had to walk into the boss's office and explain how I had, using just 1 little message with a picture on it, singlehandedly destroyed one of our most cherished business relationships.

BuddyJesus_zps553edb63.jpg

Yes. Thanks for the info, indeed.

Frosttedman, you said and asked: "As a Muslim-turned-Christian maybe you can help me understand something. I have my suspicions about it but I'm curious if you will validate them. Why is it that the secular World seems to fight so much harder against Christianity than Islam? After all, if you compare the 2 religions and their treatment of people the secular World champion the cause of (gays, ethnic groups other than Jews, women), Islam, hands down, treats these people far more harshly. You would think the secular World would be directing much more of their attention and effort upon Islam.

Why do you think that doesn't happen today?"

I think the reason why the secular world in the West is so anti-Christianity is because the Christians have allowed it to be so. The idea of separation of Church/Mosque/Synagogue/Temple from the government makes it so that secularism will not allow anything religious to stand for a law. And Christians, or other religious folks, do not push it either. Christians appear to be content with the secularism to rule over them.

Islam is the target by secularism from the outside of the Muslim-majority nations. We see it on TV under the disguise of "war on terror." I am not saying that everything is perfect in the Muslim world--it's not, and many things must change, but the religion of Islam is under the attack and has been for quite a long time. More officially since 9/11. Also, Islam is discriminated more in the secular world than Christianity. For example, Muslims are still struggling in the secular world to be allowed to built their houses of worship or to bury their dead in a religious manner. As much as the secular world prides itself about religious freedoms, it is still the fact that many Muslims do not have houses of worship in the secular towns where they live. And of course, every time the secular governments allow a mosque to be built, we hear protests and vandalism.

Also, a regular Christian ignores the attacks on their religion. We see people ridiculing Christian beliefs and Jesus, a Christian deity, openly and we hardly ever see Christian leadership demand an apology. :) Not saying Christians would go about it the way some Muslims have with the protests and/or threats of violence. It's just that such behaviors toward Christianity appear to be "ok" with some people.

Speaking as an American, secularism in the public sphere (i.e. government) should not mean that religions are threatened. In fact the principle of separation of church and state is meant to protect religion in the private sphere. You can still have your houses of worship, you can still celebrate in your homes, you can have religious displays on private property that are in public view. You can still vote your religiously-inspired conscience. No one is supposed to discriminate against you because of your religion, but I realize that it does happen at times and that is wrong.

What you can't do is use the public sphere to force your religion on others. That's why The U.S. Supreme Court banned prayer in public schools in 1963. In my school we had a moment of silence instead, which meant you could pray silently if you wanted.

I think this sort of secularism is a good thing. Discrimination against religious groups is not.

Also, a regular Christian ignores the attacks on their religion. We see people ridiculing Christian beliefs and Jesus, a Christian deity, openly and we hardly ever see Christian leadership demand an apology. :) Not saying Christians would go about it the way some Muslims have with the protests and/or threats of violence. It's just that such behaviors toward Christianity appear to be "ok" with some people.

What about Fox News' annual "War on Chirstmas?" Now, in reality, they're not complaining about a real attack on Christianity, they're manufacturing a false one. But I'm sure they attack real ones, as well.

What about Fox News' annual "War on Chirstmas?" Now, in reality, they're not complaining about a real attack on Christianity, they're manufacturing a false one. But I'm sure they attack real ones, as well.
You must not get out much. The so-called "War on Christmas" is for real. But it's bigger than that. It's not just a few silly Atheists wanting Christ taken out of their Solstice holiday. There are now large groups, represented by very aggressive lawyers, who seek to stamp out anything Christian-related from the public square, the schools, the government buildings, you name it. But you know that already, which makes me wonder why you accuse people who report on it of lying about it. You see, you wouldn't consider it a hoax or a lie if the mainstream media were reporting on it. But that's the real story. The fact that they leave all that stuff on the cutting room floor. We know why they do it. Why they only report a certain side of things, only if it fits their agenda. Do you know why?

I guess FOX is also making up the IRS scandal, the Benghazi scandal, the Fast and Furious scandal, the VA scandal, the current scandal happening at our borders... just made up, Republican conspiracy theories like the war on Christmas, right? And if it weren't for FOX, the press box at the Gosnell Trial would have been completely empty. More FOX lies I guess.

All those darn lying Republicans and that blasted FOX News. If they wanted to point the finger at a real, bona fide scandal, it would be the Conservative "War On Women!" Now THAT is the real deal. Something the public is very concerned about. Fo Shizzle!

You must not get out much. The so-called "War on Christmas" is for real. But it's bigger than that. It's not just a few silly Atheists wanting Christ taken out of their Solstice holiday. There are now large groups, represented by very aggressive lawyers, who seek to stamp out anything Christian-related from the public square, the schools, the government buildings, you name it. But you know that already, which makes me wonder why you accuse people who report on it of lying about it. You see, you wouldn't consider it a hoax or a lie if the mainstream media were reporting on it. But that's the real story. The fact that they leave all that stuff on the cutting room floor. We know why they do it. Why they only report a certain side of things, only if it fits their agenda. Do you know why?

But Christmas and Christianity isn't necessarily the same thing. Taking Christianity out of the public sphere can reasonably fall under separation of church and state. No?

Muslim is an Arabic word

It means someone who submits for a belief in One God.

Jews are Muslims

Muslim is an Arabic word

It means someone who submits for a belief in One God.

Jews are Muslims

That may be the literal translation of the word, but do you think it applies to current usage? :)

I was Christian when I married my Muslim wife. 4 yrs later I reverted after reading the Quran and the Bible back to back. I know several Christian/Muslim families. Usually the father being Muslim as that is OK in the Muslim faith. Some have worked out, some have not. the ones that did, The talk of what the child would be raised as was discussed well before marriage. The ones that didn't, are mostly going through ugly divorces. Which compounds the issue when the Christians' church gets on their case for divorcing.

reverted...or converted?

I know there is a concept that we are all Muslims just waiting to realize it....is that the revert thought?

reverted...or converted?

I know there is a concept that we are all Muslims just waiting to realize it....is that the revert thought?

You pretty much nailed it. When I went fom practicing what I called Biblical Christianity to Islam, it was less of a conversion as the primary doctrines stayed the same. 1 God, same God as Abraham and Noah and all the other prophets (PBUT), avoid sin, repent when you commit a sin, forgive others for their transgressions, etc. To me "Conversion" has the connotation that you are changing your beliefs completely. I for the most part just changed how I was practicing, ie going from Jesus's (PBUH) teachings of day to day life, to Mouhammed's (PBUH) teachings.

Some people in Islam do use revert in the sense that we are all Muslim and taught away from it as a child, and I can respect and understand that notion. But if you have been Buddhist since the age of knowing (whatever age you are developed enough to know right and wrong totally) then going back to Islam is less of a reversion of your ideals as much as a conversion. If I had thought of Jesus (PBUH) as a god then I would have been more inclined to a conversion.

Hope this makes it clear.

BTW I'm enjoying reading things on this site... mostly calm people talking calmly about things that matter most

Back