Is There One True Religion, One True Path to God?

You have part of the picture, but here's what you are missing. Your former self, your past self and your future self are indeed separate beings, but these are all just physical manifestations of the same soul. Bad karma has a negative impact on the soul itself and it is your immortal soul that God is concerned with. Your spiritual self, not the physical you.

Correcting karma is but a small part of the reincarnation process however.

That's really just semantics; if all these selves are the physical manifestation of a soul, then that soul is not me, so again I am punished or rewarded for actions taken by one other than me. And that is a great injustice, a great evil

In other words, that soul is not mine, rather it is some soul common to many persons

Oh and an aside, you are wrong to think I only had part of the picture, all this I was already familiar with

You have part of the picture, but here's what you are missing. Your former self, your past self and your future self are indeed separate beings, but these are all just physical manifestations of the same soul. Bad karma has a negative impact on the soul itself and it is your immortal soul that God is concerned with. Your spiritual self, not the physical you.

Correcting karma is but a small part of the reincarnation process however.

Again, this idea of self improvement, be it in the here and now or in different incarnations, is incompatible with Christianity, which teaches we can do nothing of ourself, only through the Holy Spirit can we hope to do anything

Some wise words indeed Thomas

Sadly the tendency today is to pick and choose a selection from a number of paths that accord with one's own disposition, which inevitably tends to following the path of least resistance, which suggests one might indeed cover a good deal of ground, but never actually ascends anywhere.

Which is, perhaps, at least in part, the motivation in seeing all religions as the same

That's really just semantics; if all these selves are the physical manifestation of a soul, then that soul is not me, so again I am punished or rewarded for actions taken by one other than me. And that is a great injustice, a great evil

In other words, that soul is not mine, rather it is some soul common to many persons...

A soul is not common to many individuals. Only those individuals who collectively have been you. In other words, your soul is your true self. That which remains when all physical manifestations of you are long gone.

Again, this idea of self improvement, be it in the here and now or in different incarnations, is incompatible with Christianity, which teaches we can do nothing of ourself, only through the Holy Spirit can we hope to do anything

That gets us back to the original question, yet to have been answered. Are you saying then, that Christianity is the one true religion?

A soul is not common to many individuals. Only those individuals who collectively have been you. In other words, your soul is your true self. That which remains when all physical manifestations of you are long gone.

Again nice try but just a semantic argument with no substance; the soul is common to some individuals, which you label 'me; only because that soul is common to them. Sorry, that does not make those other individuals me.

It is meaningless to say that something, a soul, is more me than me particularly when it shares as much, if not more, in common with other individuals RAA

That gets us back to the original question, yet to have been answered. Are you saying then, that Christianity is the one true religion?

I am saying that which I have said.

Have I then said, that Christianity is the one true religion?

Sadly the tendency today is to pick and choose a selection from a number of paths that accord with one's own disposition, which inevitably tends to following the path of least resistance...

I would think the path of least resistance would be to follow the same path as others have followed rather than bucking convention and blazing your own trail.

Again nice try but just a semantic argument with no substance; the soul is common to some individuals, which you label 'me; only because that soul is common to them. Sorry, that does not make those other individuals me.

It is meaningless to say that something, a soul, is more me than me particularly when it shares as much, if not more, in common with other individuals RAA

You miss the point entirely my friend. As Christian scripture says, your soul is immortal. Saving it is paramount. Your physical self is of little consequence. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

You miss the point entirely my friend. As Christian scripture says, your soul is immortal. Saving it is paramount. Your physical self is of little consequence. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Can you quote me the scripture where it says that?

My understanding of Christian scripture is the my soul is unique to me

Your soul is unique to you and all the manifestations of you. In other words, your soul is you.

No, again semantic, those others you only label me because they share that soul, which cannot be my soul, as my soul is unique to me, that is to this individual person. It therefore follows, that those other individuals are not really me at all but imposters

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Your soul is unique to you and all the manifestations of you. In other words, your soul is you.

Furthermore, if my soul is me then it shares all properties in common with me. If it shares all properties in common with me yet I do not share all properties in common with those other past and future individuals then those past and future individuals cannot share all properties in common with my soul. Therefore those past and future individuals are not me

So Namaste Jesus, where is it written that the soul is immortal?

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Believe as you must voiceofwood. Though we may not agree, each one of us must follow their own heart in these matters. I am no exception.

Back