Which part of Jesus's life...

I'm actually a little jealous of all of you but I know that you received what you were supposed to and it was not for me to receive. The only experience I've ever had (sans visions) was the extreme sensation that the Holy Ghost was hugging me. I was at a normal (almost banal) Morning Prayer Service - nothing emotional or evocotive going on. The priest was delivering a so-so sermon and all the sudden I had the feel that someone behind me was hugging me - like a warm blanket - and a great sense of peace that regardless of how anything appeared, everything would always work out for the best. Now, this wasn't something I was yearning to know at that relatively untroubled time, but the sensation has stuck with me clearly ever sense and, of course, things do not always stay untroubled but in the ensuing years, I have gone back to that many times when real trouble has appeared and the sense of peace at that brief moment on that day has sustained me many, many times.

Tim

Good eveing Bandit, and Faithful.

Thanks for the thoughts and insight. I never really asked to have the "dream" interpreted, because I believe sub consciously I know what it means. There is a kind of peace and comfort "beyond understanding" :D I guess I like the mystery part.

I only brought it up, because it kind of went along with Brian's original question of which part of Jesus' life would I want to be at. And in a way, I felt I was there, if only for a moment in time.

I said there were other details I left out, in the effort to be brief, however, I suppose they should be included.

People did approach from time to time. I dutifully I sighted my rifle on them. However, as I saw their faces in the cross hairs, each face was exactly the same, though the people were different (male, female, rich, ragged, etc.). They all had wretched faces, with pain and shredded visages. I felt pity for them, and lowered my weapon. They however, did not attempt to come closer, but simply walked away, only to have another approach a little time later, with the same expression and torn face as the one before.

What puzzled me the most was they all had similar faces. It was most disturbing. Was it the face of Jesus I was seeing? Can't be certain. Remember as I was finally able to turn around to see what I was guarding, and looked up towards the face of the hanging man, I was immediately pulled away (very fast I might add), and ended up back in my own bed, confused.

Faithful, I don't think anyone would laugh at a gift you were given. Only the most cynical might consider it, but cynics are those that know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing. Perhaps, however, that (dreams), would be a good idea for a new thread.

Bandit, thanks for telling your vision (again, right in line with what Brian had in mind for what time in the Lord's life would you want to be at).

v/r

Q

timrevis said:
I'm actually a little jealous of all of you but I know that you received what you were supposed to and it was not for me to receive. The only experience I've ever had (sans visions) was the extreme sensation that the Holy Ghost was hugging me. I was at a normal (almost banal) Morning Prayer Service - nothing emotional or evocotive going on. The priest was delivering a so-so sermon and all the sudden I had the feel that someone behind me was hugging me - like a warm blanket - and a great sense of peace that regardless of how anything appeared, everything would always work out for the best. Now, this wasn't something I was yearning to know at that relatively untroubled time, but the sensation has stuck with me clearly ever sense and, of course, things do not always stay untroubled but in the ensuing years, I have gone back to that many times when real trouble has appeared and the sense of peace at that brief moment on that day has sustained me many, many times.

Tim
Hello Tim,

What jealousy? We thought we saw something (which apparently was enought to placate our own spirits)...YOU got Hugged!:D

v/r

Q

Quahom1, That's a nice observation (thank you) but you know, one would like to see something - I'm a designer so I'm visually oriented and I have vivid dreams but nothing like any of you have ever described. But I must say (I don't know that I have the words for it) but it was enough. If I say it was satisfactory, it demeans it - satisfying is a better word - it was encompassing - and memorable. The thing that amazed me at the time (and still amazes me when I bring it to mind) is that it was as though I was being offered something I didn't think I needed and although I appreciated it - the way you feel when someone offers you something very special and you know it's special but you don't think you need it but you so much appreciate the gesture - it was just that I thought the whole day and week afterward "but everything is fine - I'm don't have any concerns." But within a few years, my father developed Alzheimers and the demands on my mother and my family have been extreme and then there were several other things but in the midst of this entire mess, I always go back to that event and I remember that: regardless of how things look, they will always work out for the best and I cannot make myself get worried about everything. I am concerned - and I do everything I can - but it's going to work out for the best. I know it in my heart just as much as I know that I'm sitting here right now. But it was enough - which is what I don't have the word for. I've never felt that I needed to feel hugged again because that one time was so complete and I remember it so clearly.

Good evening Tim,

I am aurally oriented, and my weakest perspective is visual. (When underway, I prefer the sounds and rhythms of the engine room diesels, pumps and gas turbines to that of the sight of the bow wave, or the rooster tail coming off the back of the ship). I don't need a tuning fork to orient my musical instruments, and can pick out the one in a chorus of a hundred that is slightly off key. I can't answer for the others, but my guess is they might be tactile or aurally oriented as well.

My point is that sometimes God uses our weakest attributes to drive His point home. We remember things like that, because it bothers us. We want more. Or in your case, you might have been given what you needed ahead of schedule, or because those you care about most would be incapable (later) of doing what you would need most...(he, he, regardless of how much I love my family and their hugs - one from the Holy Spirit would be pretty hard to top, and would have the longest residual impact).

All in all I think that God (like a good parent) gives us what we need first, and perhaps maybe what we want, later.

Of course you could do like Faithfulservant does...ask! Doesn't the Bible tell us to ask and we shall receive? Maybe I should do the same thing, 'cause I don't ever ask.

Timmer, you were "touched" by God...not bad, not too bad at all:D

v/r

Q

Last edited:
Hi Quahom1,

You have a great way of clarifying things. I went straight from these boards to a website I've looked at off and on for years. It's a monestary in S.C. and I've tossed the idea around from time to time of going on a retreat but I'm not sure what my objective would be. But it crosses my mind when I think about things like I described to you.

I had one other experience (and I remember this well too but it was so long ago that I don't think about it often but when I do, I can remember it well) I was very young - four or younger because I know the house where we lived and my sister wasn't born yet - it was Sunday, we'd been to church and come home and I was outside playing on the swing set and I heard God laugh at me - a laugh like I was amusing him. It was a perfectly sunny day, cold but very clear - I went in the house and told my parents that God had laughed at me and they said it must have been thunder or something but it wasn't because it was a clear day. I didn't argue with them because I knew better but that felt good too, I recall, because it seemed like I was amusing God by just playing.

My father told me once that he had felt he might have been visited by the Holy Ghost. His father died the year before I was born and he and his father were very close; Dad said they were more like friends. He came home from the funeral and felt desolate and laid down on the sofa and said he felt like he wanted to die and he said a spot of light - like a penlight - formed near the ceiling and drifted down and setteled on the arm of the sofa near his head and he had an overwhelming sense of peace. (that "everything's going to be o.k." feeling) He said he thought it was his father's spirit for a moment but he later decided it was the Holy Ghost - I don't know why he made that decision - I never asked and he never clarified.

Tim

My father told me once that he had felt he might have been visited by the Holy Ghost. His father died the year before I was born and he and his father were very close; Dad said they were more like friends. He came home from the funeral and felt desolate and laid down on the sofa and said he felt like he wanted to die and he said a spot of light - like a penlight - formed near the ceiling and drifted down and setteled on the arm of the sofa near his head and he had an overwhelming sense of peace. (that "everything's going to be o.k." feeling) He said he thought it was his father's spirit for a moment but he later decided it was the Holy Ghost - I don't know why he made that decision - I never asked and he never clarified.

That is really neat. The penlight is a good description.
I had the same thing happen. On the day of spreading her ashes, I was up to 3 a.m. crying over her loss. When I felt a spirit come into the room from above. It was her voice that called out my name saying, "I am alright. Everything is going to be alright."
Then it left and I immediately fell to sleep.
I think it was her and not the Holy Ghost, because the Holy Ghost seems to operate a little different, kind of like the warm hug you got.
I suppose it could have been the Holy Ghost or an angel revealing that she is ok, but the presence was much smaller, more like that of a person in the room instead of filling me and surrounding me completely.

I honestly feel that some people have been deprived of expereincing the Holy Ghost in its fulness and mostly due to traditions in religion that wont allow the spirit of God to move. Or anything that sways the ORDER OF SERVICE is just not allowed or acceptable.

We dont have to examine these expereinces too close though. I think they are for our own edification. But it sure is nice when you can share with other brothers and sisters who can relate and we can minsiter and edify each other.:)

Good Afternoon Tim,

(Sorry about calling you Timmer...old habit).

So, You made God laugh (you heard Him), and you got hugged (you felt Him)...and now you want to see?

Reminds me of a story: A man is on his house roof in the middle of a raging flood. The man asks God to save him. After awhile, the river rises higher and starts to cover the roof, but lo and behold a Coast Guard boat comes by to get the man safely away. "No", says the man. "God will save me."

So time goes on and the flood rises several feet more, leaving only a few feet of roof for the man to stand on. But wait! a Coast Guard helicopter hovers overhead and the survivalman winches down to pluck the man off the roof...

"No", says the man. "God will save me."

Eventually the flood rises above the roof, the man is swept away and dies.

Standing before the throne of Heaven, the soggy spirit of the man is furious, while God sits bemused. "Sir!", the man stammers. "You said if I trusted you, and put my life into your hands, that you would save me. I did just that, yet you let me drown in that flood!!?"

God leaned back on his throne, quietly regarding his child, then softly answered -

"Let's see now, first I sent you a boat, then I sent you a helicopter...what more did you want?"

I'm teasing you Tim, but I'm being half serious too...

Your greatest strength, might just also be your greatest weakness. Thomas was also "visually" oriented, and a stubborn man in his "demands". His "wish" caused him great personal grief, once it was granted. He was gently chastised by God.

Jesus told him, "You see, so now you believe...blessed is he who does not see, yet believes..."

Your dad saw. You heard and felt. What a special family you make. ;) :D

v/r

Q

Bandit said:
That is really neat. The penlight is a good description.
I had the same thing happen. On the day of spreading her ashes, I was up to 3 a.m. crying over her loss. When I felt a spirit come into the room from above. It was her voice that called out my name saying, "I am alright. Everything is going to be alright."
Then it left and I immediately fell to sleep.
I think it was her and not the Holy Ghost, because the Holy Ghost seems to operate a little different, kind of like the warm hug you got.
I suppose it could have been the Holy Ghost or an angel revealing that she is ok, but the presence was much smaller, more like that of a person in the room instead of filling me and surrounding me completely.

I honestly feel that some people have been deprived of expereincing the Holy Ghost in its fulness and mostly due to traditions in religion that wont allow the spirit of God to move. Or anything that sways the ORDER OF SERVICE is just not allowed or acceptable.

We dont have to examine these expereinces too close though. I think they are for our own edification. But it sure is nice when you can share with other brothers and sisters who can relate and we can minsiter and edify each other.:)
Hi Bandit,

I think we miss things because life is too loud, or too flashy, or too tactile. We are overloaded by the current sights sounds and textures of everyday life. We miss the subtle, and I think God is very subtle, but persistent.

v/r

Q

Dear Quahom1,

You may call me timmer: my family call me Timothy, my friends call me Tim - I can stand all of it but I whince when I'm called Timmy. Timothy is familiar, Tim is friendly, Timmer is endearing but Timmy is dismissive. I am intrigued with your loud and flashy life observation. I don't know if this holds true for everyone; apparently it doesn't or church services wouldn't be merrily headed in the direction they are but I personally find small, quiet services more fulfilling. I have a very messed up denominational heritage. I was raised (simultaneously) Episcopalian and Baptist. My mother was Episcopalian so we started Sunday with either 8:00 Morning Prayer or 8:30 Communion and then to the Baptist Church for Sunday School and 11:00 Worship and then back in the evening to either BYPU or Evening Prayer (alternating.) I delayed making a denominational commitment until I was seventeen and decided to be confirmed in the Episcopal Church. But my entire family left the church in the early 80s after the prayerbook changes. I then re-aligned myself with one of the breakoff churches BUT I have primarily lived in the country for the past ten years and I have to drive seventy miles down and back to get to an Anglican RC service so I attend the nearby Methodist church where most of the people in this community attend. I go to morning services because I feel I should - But, when given my druthers, I either go to the earliest Morning Prayer service at the Anglican church or the evening service at the Methodist church. Both are small, quiet, contemplative, intimate BUT they just rotated the ministers at the Methodist church and the new minister is refusing to conduct Sunday evening services because he never has before and because Sunday is the day he spends with his family. So, I am going to have to start getting up and moving myself and make the trip to the Morning Prayer service because it genuinely makes me feel good (Not good as in "I'm a good person" but good as in "I feel spiritually blessed" maybe I mean it makes me feel "well")

It's a conundrum. But the short point of the long story is I very much like a small service and I think it's very possible to connect with the spirits of the fellow believers sitting about me on the pews without having to physically interact - in fact, it's better. But, that's me. I think most people disagree with this or are having other experiences these days.

Tim

Hello Timmer,

My name is Joshua (done did it Brian). I am a devout Irish Roman Catholic. I am married to a lovely women who happens to be Methodist (old church ways). My sons were Baptised Catholics, in an Episcopalian Chapel, by a Baptist Chaplain (military), before mostly Presbyterian and Anglican congregation (Govenors Island, NY). One of the "god parents" were/are agnostic (but he promised to look after my son with his life, in the event of our deaths, so I can't complain).

My church of choice, is my front yard, or the corn field of the local farmer during Sunrise service on Easter. The best pew I've ever sat on was a bale of hay, and the most beautiful "cassack" I've seen on a priest was blue jeans, mucaluck boots and a Parka. (did you know that whale fat can be turned into communion wafers?)

When serving in the Phillipines, I received "communion" from a Budhist monk (his hands were shaking so much I thought he was enraged, only to find out later he was afraid to get it wrong...) The most majestic "church" I've seen and been in is the Mosque in Green Belt, Ohio.

It's all good Timmer, and so cool to experience "others' view" of things. But I agree with you that "home" is were the heart is.

v/r

Q :D

Well, Joshua, you definately trump my hand! And it all sounds so interesting - I am particularly impressed with the Budhist monk and the blubber/wafers!

This is why I can not be evangelistic. I only know my experiences and the heritage I was handed. I am very sure that if I were of a different background, with a family devout in whatever their beliefs were, I would probably have embraced them because I believe in God by nature but the rest was taught. I cannot see what is wrong with other people and having their beliefs - even the right to believe nothing. And as far as my witness, my life had better be adequate because I can't do more.

Tim

I could not evangelize either. I'm a sailor, and my language is often considered a bit too colorful, as is my thinking on life. Even our moderator Brian, has had to call me to task once or twice (for which I am by no means proud of).

He, he, I laugh at the day I commented to Mirror, Luna, or Alexa...when did I become a "senior member" of this august group? I can't believe I made it past probation...

But I was assured long ago that God loves sailors too, so I'm hanging on to that assurance.

Hope He loves medics and Ranger type guys as well, 'cause I got two of them, and I'm kinda partial. :D

v/r

Q

Well, Joshua, another enviable thing - a sailor! No wonder you're having an interesting life! I'm up in the wee-smalls and getting ready to leave for my trek to early Morning Prayer and possibly back to Methodist Sunday School (if I can get back in time) I'll remember the Rangers in my prayers and I hope we all have a good Sunday. I enjoy your posts - I like prodding my mind - it needs exercise. Tim

Faithfulservant said:
...Did you ask God for interpretation?...

Faithful Servant
Good morning Faithful,

No, I didn't ask God, But someone else did.

Mt 25:40

It's Bandit's fault. He asks too many questions, which makes one think and remember, and feel :D

v/r

Q

I just saw that in the other thread.. Im glad Bandit made you analyze it. Im glad you shared it in the first place...

Now quit trying to blame Bandit for Gods work. :)

Faithfulservant said:
I just saw that in the other thread.. Im glad Bandit made you analyze it. Im glad you shared it in the first place...

Now quit trying to blame Bandit for Gods work. :)
But that is just it. For a moment Bandit was God's work...so is everyone else.

Don't you see? That was my dream. Christ is in everyone, and can come out at anytime...epecially when we least expect it. Oh there are mean people we must be vigilant for and stand guard against, but not many. Most simply hurt, and lash out in their hurt.

v/r

Q:D

brian said:
If we travel through the Gospels detailing the life of Jesus, which event would you have most liked to have been present at?

Perhaps we should open this up to anytime actually - would you have liked to see Jesus as a child? As a teen?

Whatever your reason - may I ask why?

Is it the miracles you want to see to strengthen faith? Are you looking for the God or the Man?

A starter for discussion. :)

First choice would be the Sermon on the Mount because it is such a beautiful statement of faith and love. Second would be the loaves and fishes, not just because it was a miracle but because I think it shows us the importance Jesus put on being sure people are fed, physically as well as spiritually. Plus I have alway thought it was pretty neat. :)

lunamoth said:
First choice would be the Sermon on the Mount because it is such a beautiful statement of faith and love. Second would be the loaves and fishes, not just because it was a miracle but because I think it shows us the importance Jesus put on being sure people are fed, physically as well as spiritually. Plus I have alway thought it was pretty neat. :)
Perhaps you might have understood it Luna, but those in attendence did not. I know I didn't for many years, and I still do not undertand it' meaning in full today. I envy you, in a good way (Bully for you):D

v/r

Q

Back